Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Mraagvpeine posted:

What chain/franchise is that for?

Her husband, Mister Donut

"Mister Donut is a fast food franchise founded in the United States in 1956, now headquartered in Japan, where it has more than 1,300 stores. The primary offerings include doughnuts, coffee, muffins and pastries."

JD fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dunkin, I assume.

Could just straight up-lift these, though.

http://silentsketcher.deviantart.com/art/Fast-Food-Mafia-final-131302790

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
For widespread food chain franchises, I'd go McDonald's, KFC, Starbucks, and Pizza Hut. Of the four, Pizza Hut would be the weakest, McDonald's the strongest, and Starbucks the Starscream of the group. KFC is just an old dude that wants to chill with his food empire, but god help you if you try to crack his secret formula.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
So does the first to serve will lose rule continue?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Roasted chestnuts and venison loin sounds amazing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Mangastream up.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
This is from last week but can we just take a moment to appreciate this panel?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Xelkelvos posted:

Roasted chestnuts and venison loin sounds amazing.

It is amazing, and it's a traditional combination. It's usually done in the fall, since ofc chestnuts are autumn produce. First time I've heard of someone using sweetened chestnuts, though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

insanityv2 posted:

That Deer is so loving hyped to get cooked and eaten. Tsukasa's gimmick is really good. :allears:

Anyway, I like the thing about this being a dish unique to Soma cause it goes with the whole creativity thing that Central despises and it reminds me of how one of the reasons Hayama won at the Autumn tournament was because he made a dish that moreso than the other contestants was like something only he could do. So it's like another thing about how Stagiare week really helped everyone improve and poo poo.

Soma's still going to get annihilated though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mikl posted:

It is amazing, and it's a traditional combination. It's usually done in the fall, since ofc chestnuts are autumn produce. First time I've heard of someone using sweetened chestnuts, though.

I was assuming he melted the glaze off of them to use in some other way.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

insanityv2 posted:

No lie, before I saw that panel I thought Tsukasa was going to Bambi's mom the poo poo out of that deer.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
ah, resting cooked meat under a loose cover, what an advanced technique

maybe next week someone will salt the water before they boil pasta

edit: i get that this is shonen and all that, but sometimes i find my eyes rolling

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
you'd be surprised at how many people are not good at knowing basic cooking things

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

edit: i get that this is shonen and all that, but sometimes i find my eyes rolling

Can someone who actually bakes comment if Yakitate 100% was just as bad, or were the breads/Ja-pans actually interesting/challenging baking techniques?

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

pinegala posted:

Can someone who actually bakes comment if Yakitate 100% was just as bad, or were the breads/Ja-pans actually interesting/challenging baking techniques?
I'd say it works a little better in Yakitate because while a home cook may be familiar with the kind of methods we see in Soma, bread and pastry have a lot of technical aspects that aren't as well known to a home baker. They also explain about things like the chemical makeup of certain ingredients, which is pretty specialized knowledge not everyone knows.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

My advanced technique is that I do this very thing... in the microwave!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skychrono posted:

My advanced technique is that I do this very thing... in the microwave!

Seriously expecting this sooner or later from the author. There's an insane amount of crazy and creative things you can do with "cheap" food items and technology that are nigh impossible to replicate with "refined" cooking techniques. World class chefs have found ways to use microwaves in their cooking/preparing and making food people pay $100 for. An upscale NY restaurant chef talked about how she uses velveeta in their gourmet mac and cheese dish because it creates the perfect degree of smoothness. Granted the dish also had truffles and other exotics added but it goes to show that there's no limit on what a inventive mind can make from what is considered inferior.

Mind of a Chef is great for this. There's an episode solely about ramen and how it days days to make the perfect ramen broth, but David Chang had the idea to use the freeze dried equivalents of the ingredients brewed for ramen and make an amazing ramen broth in just minutes that was as good or better then the traditional method. Later when making a red-eye gravy inspired sauce he realized he couldn't add coffee because the extra moisture would mess it up and so he came up with the idea of using freeze dried instant coffee as the source of the coffee flavor and perfected the sauce.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Chapter 165:

http://readms.com/r/shokugeki_no_souma/165/3389/1

Tsunderina is back

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Couldn't they just declare Soma the winner to gently caress over Central

I mean it won't happen but still

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's got to be more to that than this. For a battle against the first seat this all seems too straightforward.

Tsukasa has got to have something like "Now try both of the steaks at the same time to understand the true flavour of my dish!" and I wouldn't be surprised if Soma's got something more to his as well. I mean, Erina and Hisako aren't acting like everything's going terribly and Soma's about to join the enemy but at the same time theres no way Soma's winning this.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ew instant coffee.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

They are both going to pick a unique dish so it's a tie.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

They are both going to pick a unique dish so it's a tie.

Yeah, but who is the one who will lie about Soma's dish being better.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013
My prediction: Soma loses, but Eishi acknowledges that he is too talented to be a mere sous chef and let's him off the hook.

Any outcome is preferable to a tie.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Pewdiepie posted:

Ew instant coffee.

Reminded me of similar usage by real professional chefs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Pewdiepie posted:

Ew instant coffee.

Dude, if you don't at least keep a can of folgers around for beef stew, I don't even want to know you.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Dude, if you don't at least keep a can of folgers around for beef stew, I don't even want to know you.

I cook with coffee constantly and for some reason hadn't thought to put it in my beef stew. Thanks for the idea friend!!!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

There's got to be more to that than this. For a battle against the first seat this all seems too straightforward.

Tsukasa has got to have something like "Now try both of the steaks at the same time to understand the true flavour of my dish!" and I wouldn't be surprised if Soma's got something more to his as well. I mean, Erina and Hisako aren't acting like everything's going terribly and Soma's about to join the enemy but at the same time theres no way Soma's winning this.

The reason is that Erina knows that the official requirements aren't met so the duel will be called off by Eishi. It's just a test of mettle that Soma will lose.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Soma might just explain that he knows he lost, so his Shonen Pride won't let him back out of an agreement he made, even if nobody else will in force it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Soma throws the food onto the ground and tells him Eishi to try the food again. There's then a two-page spread of an Eishi-deer hybrid eating the food off of the ground, with Eishi commenting on how Soma's dish doesn't just let him communicate with the deer - it makes him into the deer itself! Soma then wins because actually becoming the deer is superior to merely communicating with it.

edit: I'm actually kind of surprised that Soma did well enough that it's even a remotely difficult choice between him and Eishi. If he's already that close to the first seat it seems like, at the very least, he's good enough to be in the elite 10. This isn't even a situation where Soma somehow had some inherent advantage; it seems like the subject matter isn't better suited to either one of them.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 4, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Soma throws the food onto the ground and tells him Eishi to try the food again. There's then a two-page spread of an Eishi-deer hybrid eating the food off of the ground, with Eishi commenting on how Soma's dish doesn't just let him communicate with the deer - it makes him into the deer itself! Soma then wins because actually becoming the deer is superior to merely communicating with it.

edit: I'm actually kind of surprised that Soma did well enough that it's even a remotely difficult choice between him and Eishi. If he's already that close to the first seat it seems like, at the very least, he's good enough to be in the elite 10. This isn't even a situation where Soma somehow had some inherent advantage; it seems like the subject matter isn't better suited to either one of them.

Yeah, that's why I think there's still something more to Tsukasa's dish. Either that or it's just Hisako who thinks that way and Erina can pretty easily tell that Soma definitively lost.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
they're gonna tie. erina is gonna pick souma because she's the destined girl who his dad told him about. the one he wants to cook for. lots of sparkly eyes + blushes

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Galvanik posted:

Soma might just explain that he knows he lost, so his Shonen Pride won't let him back out of an agreement he made, even if nobody else will in force it.

The problem with this is that Eishi doesn't appear to be Eizan-level evil, so I doubt he'd necessarily let Soma legitimately become a prepcook because he literally had not tasted Soma's cooking prior to this battle. There's also the matter of Eishi not actually being very likely to be the last boss even as the First Seat because he'll just graduate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with this is that Eishi doesn't appear to be Eizan-level evil, so I doubt he'd necessarily let Soma legitimately become a prepcook because he literally had not tasted Soma's cooking prior to this battle. There's also the matter of Eishi not actually being very likely to be the last boss even as the First Seat because he'll just graduate.

Tsukasa might not be evil persay but he is kinda weird and more to the point really selfish. Like, not in a mean way or anything but from what we've seen of him these past few chapters I think that in his world view his cooking always comes first and he doesn't care if he needs to use others or sabotage their development to help that cooking. Not out of malice or anything though, he just doesn't even seem to really realise that forcing Soma to become his assistant and just a prep cook is kinda bad for Soma's own development as a chef. So I don't think Soma impressing him would make him reconsider. I think it'd just make him even more confident that taking him on as an assistant would be a good move.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The more we learn about him, the more I feel like Tsukasa is kind of a sociopath. Like there will be some moment down the line where he'll say something to the effect of, "I relate more easily to the ingredients than to other people."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alacron posted:

The more we learn about him, the more I feel like Tsukasa is kind of a sociopath. Like there will be some moment down the line where he'll say something to the effect of, "I relate more easily to the ingredients than to other people."

Frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't already. He seems to have a super difficult time being around others though and does worry about his appearance to others so he definitely seems to care about their opinions somewhat.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"Maybe if you guys were ingredients, we'd get along better :chef:"

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Honestly, this might just end up in a tie.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A tie seems pretty likely since there are two judges and it's the one thing that wouldn't upend the status quo.

But at the same time I really hope that it isn't a tie, just because either person winning would be more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Arkeus posted:

Honestly, this might just end up in a tie.

A tie and he'll just shrug it off. If Tsukasa really wanted it to be a proper shokugeki, he would've summoned some judges. Besides, no matter how he phrased it, I imagine Tsukasa wants Souma more than he wants Souma to be a part of Central. Probably a bit like Hisato and Erina, so he doesn't have to like, pay attention to people and details so much. Plus apparently all of the e10 have their own side-businesses, so looking forward past graduation, he'd probably find it useful to have an assistant who can keep up with him.

Speaking of which, when is it in Shokugekiworld? They introduced the rest of the e10 after the autumn election, so third years then would be in the second half of their last year around now, right? (Assuming it's after New Year's). But that doesn't seem quite right, if only because that'd make the third years on the e10/central that much closer to irrelevant.