Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
WL2 back at #1 on Steam "top sellers".

No idea if that actually means it's the #1 selling game, but cool anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Is there a way to heal that woman outside the prison who asks you to shoot her?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
I asked a similar question a couple of pages ago, but upon thinking about it, I was wondering if it's possible to leave Damonta during the quest to find the source of the robots in the airplane graveyard without failing it. I really want to get some explosives from ranger citadel to help deal with the robots, but I don't know if the town will still be there when I get back.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone know if its possible AG Center spoilers:

To save Winston? I just found out you can save the researchers with outdoorsman. Could you save Winston, and is there anything special for saving him? (A bunch of people says he dies no matter what, others say they can).

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

UberJumper posted:

To save Winston? I just found out you can save the researchers with outdoorsman. Could you save Winston, and is there anything special for saving him? (A bunch of people says he dies no matter what, others say they can).

You can save him. I don't remember getting anything special for it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CuddleChunks posted:

:stare: purrrrrgggeedddd

Aieeeee! I just wanted to plaaaaaaa...

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Airfoil posted:

Shows #9 for me, still respectable but you gotta admit it's a slow month.
Lol they're whoring out DA:Origins Ultimate for 5$ again to rub it into EA's face.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

UberJumper posted:

I haven't played to the end of AG center, so I don't know if you get anything for it but:

Using surgeon on him seemed to work just fine. Having just grabbed Rose, her surgeon skill gave a 77% success chance. It doesn't seem to use any item, just the skill. Surgeon also worked on the other trapped people (so far). He just stood around afterwards. If you talk to him multiple times without using surgeon or whatever on him he just dies.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

Shows #9 for me, still respectable but you gotta admit it's a slow month.
Lol they're whoring out DA:Origins Ultimate for 5$ again to rub it into EA's face.

Most likely a result of them having been on Early Access, reports of early bugs and sales of other games+terrible open world EA games appearing. We need to get people gifting this ASAP or they'll probably fall off the top 10 this week.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Airfoil posted:

I believe the "Top Sellers" category is done by revenue for the time period, not unit sales.

Also for clearing Ag Center, you get basically nothing if you save the trapped people and you need either Surgeon or Outdoorsman (the one active use of outdoorsman, natch) to do it. Once they're saved they'll show up in the infirmary after you clear the place out.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

evilmiera posted:

We need to get people gifting this ASAP or they'll probably fall off the top 10 this week.

Why the gently caress are you guys still championing a broken game? If this was a bigger release you'd be making GBS threads all over it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

UberJumper posted:

You can save those guys. Ha! This game. :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Am I really going to need to start putting points in Brute Force on somebody? Do I seriously need to take a skill to break down small wooden fences?

:negative:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Brute force can help you out with some situations. Explosives work just aswell for breaking stuff down, but it can come in very useful otherwise.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Erfsom posted:

If there is I haven't found it.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

precision posted:

Am I really going to need to start putting points in Brute Force on somebody? Do I seriously need to take a skill to break down small wooden fences?

:negative:

Some you can shoot. I haven't found any that you can't just open with dynamite/grenades/RPGs.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Brute force can help you out with some situations. Explosives work just aswell for breaking stuff down, but it can come in very useful otherwise.

Later in the game I found some that explosives don't work on, although expensive explosives may work but I never tested that out. I had one skill check to use it on a radio console that did not seem to do anything but made me happy since I got my miner boy to kick a machine for not working.

Erfsom posted:

Lead. Death is the only cure she needs.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's at least two instances where Brute Force can help you skip substantial parts of quest lines and make things easier. The two that spring to mind are both in California:

In the Angel's Oracle you can get down into the Steam Tunnels and turn the pipes off with brute force. This will allow you to safely run past, climb up a ladder, and install a repeater without anyone ever knowing. You can skip virtually all of Mr. Manner's quests this way.

The other is in Hollywood, where if you use Brute Force on a pile of rubble, you will open up a tunnel directly into the Bastion in Griffin Park. Right into Dade's office, infact

By the way, people might have missed this but the reason that the Angel's Oracle is called such is because it's the only letters that remain on the sign of the Los Angele's Memorial Coliseum

I told this to someone and it blew their mind.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 29, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I am stuck in the AG Center, everyone has no ammo except for a few shotgun shells between rose and my shotgunner. I only have two melee weapons (Angelas Wrench, and a knife), no medkits, and the vendor in the Ag Center doesn't want to sell me anything.

Can i rush back to the rangers citadel to buy some ammo and medkits or will the AG Center die if i leave?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ddraig posted:

Maybe I'm stupid, but how do you actually use explosives to open things up? Do you just pick up a stick of TNT or other explosive weapon and lob it at the offending object? That usually just yielded an "ineffective" result for me when I tried it on things too difficult for lockpicking/safecracking/brute force.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 29, 2014

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Maybe I'm stupid, but how do you actually use explosives to open things up? Do you just pick up a stick of TNT or other explosive weapon and lob it at the offending object? That usually just yielded an "ineffective" result for me when I tried it on things too difficult for lockpicking/safecracking/brute force.

You throw it at the thing. If it'll affect the object, the object will be highlighted when you're targeting it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Dibujante posted:

You throw it at the thing. If it'll affect the object, the object will be highlighted when you're targeting it.

Does it come up with a percentage for hit chance? Or is it just "It's highlighted so you can blow it up"?
It'd be neat to somehow critically gently caress up throwing a stick of dynamite. I mean, you can gig your foot on a broken fence if you get a crit fail.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Really bummed out to see so many "generic" NPCs just standing around hollywood. Met about 50 "Man" and "Woman" characters. Then in the brothel they have dialog options to ask about all the hookers, like two of them have back story and the rest are some "Go see them yourself" generic text.

The second half is REALLY missing out on the flavor text and unique touches. So many of the map locations are just a small room with a guy and a single item for you to pick up, often just literally left on the floor.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Worst thing about Hollywood is that it's so rushed that trapped chests/doors don't say so when you use perception on them. You need to actually select your Demo guy and check everything with the skill cursor. And boy those guys love to put explosives on everything.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Luebbi posted:

I'm about level 10 now and love the atmosphere and the characters so far, but... the leveling system is one of the dullest I've seen. I mean, even Fallout 1 had Perks and Traits if I recall correctly. With nothing to gain over the course of leveling except a set amount of skill points, and no way to raise your attributes, I can see this getting stale a little fast. Is this something the devs acknowledged or that might be adressed later on?
It looks like the game already had traits for a while, but then the devs took them out, so lol

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

Worst thing about Hollywood is that it's so rushed that trapped chests/doors don't say so when you use perception on them. You need to actually select your Demo guy and check everything with the skill cursor. And boy those guys love to put explosives on everything.

Sure your perception skill isn't just too low?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

chiefnewo posted:

Sure your perception skill isn't just too low?

It happens way to often with a perception of 10.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Doctor Schnabel posted:

It looks like the game already had traits for a while, but then the devs took them out, so lol

If you go through a save file with an editor there's unused entries for the stuff that got cut (like Silent Running). Traits are actually still part of the exported character files when you create a new one.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Also this Hollywood gem

Still a great game, 70+ hours in my first playthrough.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Any ETA on the next patch? I'm guessing this is still a bit too broken to fully appreciate, judging by the number of posts pointing out bugs in the last half of the game.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Professor Moriarty posted:

Any ETA on the next patch? I'm guessing this is still a bit too broken to fully appreciate, judging by the number of posts pointing out bugs in the last half of the game.

It's not just the end game, I started a new game (because it sucks playing with less than 8 int on anyone) and in the first random encounter, the shadows (and nothing else) swung around like the hands of a clock every time I hit end turn.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I just finished Silo 7 and the only noticeable bug I have seen so far is sometimes the game becomes unresponsive and I have to click through my characters a few times to get the game to respond and except commands.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Do shrines move? Everything says they don't but i swear they do. There was a shrine directly north of the ranger citadel that i found before going to the radio tower. Now on my new playthrough its not there?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Protip: Kill vendors you don't care to see die and you can loot their stock and scrap. Was wiping out the monks and that was a nice surprise.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

UberJumper posted:

Do shrines move? Everything says they don't but i swear they do. There was a shrine directly north of the ranger citadel that i found before going to the radio tower. Now on my new playthrough its not there?

Perception can affect what you find on the world map, I believe.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

UberJumper posted:

If you leave them alone, and just complete the AG quest, you can then go back and free all the trapped people by walking by them.

No XP though.

Speaking of Ag Center? Where does the female doctor go after you've saved the center (not Rose the one giving you the quest?) I came back later to turn in some junk to NPCs (like the fungal sprayer and the fertilizer) and I could not find her... Just Matt.

Also, after I got the Night Terror following me, I noticed all the body parts I had previously sold as junk, magically disappeared from the vendors.

Exactly how much candy do I need to feed him? And what do I get when I've fed him "enough?"

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ddraig posted:

Perception can affect what you find on the world map, I believe.

I thought that was outdoorsman.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
My main complaint, aside from the general sparseness/bugginess of Hollywood and some of the other areas, like Damonta, is that there simply aren't enough options in combat. Dorks on the official forums excuse this with "It's an RPG with tactical combat, not a tactical combat game with RPG elements" but this makes zero sense to me because every other RPG I've enjoyed had more sophisticated combat than this. I'm not asking for the Desert Rangers to start casting Agidyne or anything, but I'd like to see at least as many options as X-COM in term of new combat options/combat-relevant perks.

I do really like the game, though. I'd probably advise people to wait for a price drop and patches/mods now, but I do really like it and it's the first game I've put this much time into in a while.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
at least in damonta you can capture a bunch of robots with comp sci

but yeah, i think i would have gotten really sick of combat if i wasnt trying to take aberforth through the entire game. it's really easy. even on the hardest difficulty, if you dont have some squishy thing like a goat to protect you just do damage and bandage up until everything is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The reason why the combat is really easy is the relative lack of enemies that have longer range weapons for most of the game. Any enemy that needs to run up to you to hit you or shoot at you with the AI how it is currently (SMG jerks/shotguns/pistols) ends up being targeting first. Since they don't really use cover for the most part they get shot to poo poo.

• Locked thread