Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

crawlkill posted:

really an inversion of the flow here. if the entire internet weren't busy telling me how great this thing with a track record for horribleness was is gonna be, I wouldn't be bothered. the stimulus is built into participating in the werld wyde wab.

I do not understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

crawlkill posted:

because SA posted a bit about Fallout 4's Best Dialogue after the announce, which resonated deeply with me, and when I came around earlier I found like-minded peoplewholikegoodwriting. then I was reminded this terrible project exists after being bombarded from all directions on social media during the stream this evening, and came back hoping to again find sensible people. I failed in that.

See, you're getting everyone all riled up and annoyed when you make big blanket statements like this. Your statement could easily be taken to mean that 'If you don't agree with me about this game then you're obviously not sensible' when you're talking about an opinion on an unreleased video game. Also, 'good writing' is purely subjective and there are going to be people who disagree with you.

You make big sweeping statements like these, like the 'raped my childhood IP' statement, like the 'nostalgia' statement earlier then sit here and wonder why people get annoyed by them and start calling you out on your statements.

crawlkill posted:

plus, as I said, I expected to be joined by fellow haters, as I was earlier. unfortunately, the stream brought out the Bethesda-can-do-no-wrongers.

More broad sweeping statements that overgeneralize and make people feel an urge to contradict you. You'd have a much more pleasant time if you didn't make as many of them.

For the record, I'm a huge loving bethesda fanboy. I've probably sunk at least 5000+ hours into FO3, FNV, and Skyrim all together and god only knows how many in oblivion. That said, the games have flaws. Sometimes small ones, sometimes big ones. There are issues with every single one of them, and I'll be the first to admit or debate them. Just because I find the positives overwhelmingly outweigh the negatives doesn't mean I'm going to deny that there's anything bad at all.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

You Mad Bro? 2 hours ago
I have been a Fallout fan for a Long Time! This game is going to be bad rear end in my opinion regardleds because i am a fan! But i know for a Fact that this gameplay will not look the exact same on my PS4. This is just Pumped Up Super Graphics to show off what the "Can do" or it Will look this good PC. Either way i am still hyped for Fallout4!

low hanging fruit i know but i admire You Mad Bro?'s simple minded optimism and you should too

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

drat. That was a good presentation. It did nothing to address the narrative issues that Bethesda tends to have, but demonstrated everything else in spades. And I've enjoyed the gently caress out of several of their games for the "everything else" part.

New Vegas will always be special to me for how drat good the story was, but New Vegas also did things like take out the rock-it-launcher, and made sure all the guns were plausible and down-to-earth (accepting that energy weapons were still a thing). 4 seems to be returning to a whatever-the-gently caress mentality, which, as that combat montage emphasized, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Basically, there's hints that this game is doing good things that a game in the tradition of New Vegas wouldn't. I'd always rather have a New Vegas style game, but I find myself looking forward to what we're going to get here.

Also, I'm a sucker for city building games, and I can't help but fantasize about the idea that there might be a good one seamlessly integrated into this open world game. I mean, I'd be shocked if there weren't a shitton of issues with it, but I can still dream.

MisterBibs posted:

The more social justice-minded on my Twitter feed are apparently up in arms about the fact that you start out in a heterosexual relationship.

Like, I get that you might be a little peeved about that, but we're talking about a nation/society that schlepped you to research facilities if they figured you were a little bit different, didn't like the ongoing war, etc.
I dunno, it kind of irks me too. Not really in a social-justice way, but the type of relationship they had too, where they say dumb cute cliches at each other... it makes them characters and establishes things about them that I don't necisarily identify with, and take me out of the whole "be whoever you want" aspect. It's not that it's a bad story or whatever. It's thematically perfect with what they're going for- all the contrasts between a "good" carefree life and impending nuclear war... it's just kind of constricting to consider that that's who you were as a starting point.

I mean, if it was just about being queer... it's a psuedo-50s dystopia with a utopian veneer. Of course you could be gay but forced by convention into a traditional relationship. It just probably wouldn't look like that relationship.

Well, however you want to play it I'm sure could be rationalized as the player snapping/waking up after the trauma of that opening... it could be a lot more constraining, now that I think about it more.

I just hope when you inevitably run into your son out in the waste (don't imagine you won't- he'll probably be an old man or something too, having woken up 50 years before you or something) that your dialog options actually let you express what you're likely feeling.

(Having to explain why you chose to leave vault 101 to your dad when you were in fact forced out is one of the most frustratingly dumb moments in game with a very frustratingly dumb main plot.)

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
The combat looked unsatisfying to me, there's no bullet holes when characters are shot, and the blood effects are quite primitive and exaggerated I think.

I always thought the 2D Fallout games had better gore than FO3/NV, especially the death animation for machine-gunning someone where their upper half gets shredded, or being melted into a pile of guts by plasma weapons. I want proper bisection gore in FO4, where opponents can be cut in half. There's very few modern 3D games I can think of with that, only The Darkness 2, Syndicate 2012, Brothers in Arms: HH and Dead Space come to mind.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

I AM BRAWW posted:

Other well adjusted people who go around telling us how much they extremely dislike certain stuff:

-Westboro Baptist Church

-Ku Kux Klan

-Retsupurae

if Westboro were wandering around holding up signs saying "fags bought the license to their sexuality from noted sexual identity visionary William Burroughs and aren't respecting his tradition of transgressive surrealism," I'd be inclined to rethink my life in that light. "Bethesda writes poo poo stories" isn't really an argument comparable to "God hates fags." the important distinction is reasons.

khy posted:

For the record, I'm a huge loving bethesda fanboy.

it is deeply surreal that you say that my saying "the stream brought out the Bethesda fanboys" (I deliberately changed it to can-do-no-wrong, but I'll use the word I meant to and you did) is a sweeping generalization while also owning to being one

generalizations are a normal part of speech. you need to be able to deal with them. okay? I'm sorry if generalizations confuse you, but I can't help you there.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

No Mods No Masters posted:

Bethesda are even more self-hating RPG devs than Bioware and that's really saying something. They're slowly feeling their way towards some terrifying and ultimate janky tin can carrying simulator where no content will have ever been touched by a human
They already did that with Daggerfall

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They already did that with Daggerfall

Time is a flat circle

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

It's not like there's much else to discuss about the game except what you hope it will improve on from previous ones, and which retards have already pre-ordered it because it comes with a badly-made pipboy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Bethesda games are like 90's Schwarzenegger films: stupid but entertaining. They have little to no artistic merit but they're good spectacles if you just watch the fireworks and don't think very hard about them.

I have no doubt that Fallout 4 will continue this trend.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bethesda are even more self-hating RPG devs than Bioware and that's really saying something. They're slowly feeling their way towards some terrifying and ultimate janky tin can carrying simulator where no content will have ever been touched by a human

Bioware games still have a degree of customization though, you still pick a class to play as and you don't generally get enough skill points to do absolutely everything that class can do either. Fallout 4 doesn't look to even have that since by the end game you can do... Pretty much everything.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Maybe the shock of waking up 200 years later is enough for your character to swing the other way if he wants.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

megalodong posted:

It's not like there's much else to discuss about the game except what you hope it will improve on from previous ones, and which retards have already pre-ordered it because it comes with a badly-made pipboy.

It looks like a better Borderlands game than Pre-Sequel, I'll give em that

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

crawlkill posted:

if Westboro were wandering around holding up signs saying "fags bought the license to their sexuality from noted sexual identity visionary William Burroughs and aren't respecting his tradition of transgressive surrealism," I'd be inclined to rethink my life in that light. "Bethesda writes poo poo stories" isn't really an argument comparable to "God hates fags." the important distinction is reasons.

it is deeply surreal that you say that my saying "the stream brought out the Bethesda fanboys" (I deliberately changed it to can-do-no-wrong, but I'll use the word I meant to and you did) is a sweeping generalization while also owning to being one

generalizations are a normal part of speech. you need to be able to deal with them. okay? I'm sorry if generalizations confuse you, but I can't help you there.

It's hard to discuss the uh video game, and have a valid arguement (wherein both parties discuss their sides, points and opinions), with someone who is named crawlkill and filled with seething rage towards Bethesda and their uhm generic hm role playing action shooter game. Whatever anyone says, your mind is already made up on "Fallout 4 is going to be the worst." and it's a pity. Anyhow we know you'll forever long for the soothing embrace of an amazing story driven post-apocalyptic video game like Fallout 1/2, but you're ruining the whole Bethesda Praising CircleJerk we have here.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

bhlaab posted:

Out-doing the Pre-Sequel isn't exactly a difficult thing to do.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

bhlaab posted:

That's pretty damning with faint praise

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That's pretty damning with faint praise

I know.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Djarum posted:

Anyone know how long it takes for a female to give birth in Shelter? It's been awhile now and it seems stuck until one of them gives birth so I can have another follower.

I'd like to know this as well, because both babies are Three-Dog's and I need a vault full of radio DJs.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hemophilia posted:

I'm pissed off that Fallout Shelter is a timed ios exclusive. What kind of rear end in a top hat releases for the platform with the least market-share? my one ios device is a loving 5c that's not even fit to piss on.
If I had to guess, the larger variety of Android hardware/software configs out there probably means they have to do more testing.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Can Fallout 4 even conceivably be called an RPG now? It looks like a bog standard shooter with limited dialogue options and a very pretty though ultimately superficial Wasteland Settlement Simulator bolted awkwardly on.

If Perks completely replaced Skills then you're just going to get Perks that add +1 to your guns skill instead of doing anything that's actually cool and unique that would differentiate your character from everyone else's characters.

I'm just so disappointed with it and I'm kind of sad to see so many praising what they see in the gameplay reveal when it no longer has the things that I loved about the series, not because I think others have bad taste or anything, more that it doesn't have anything that appeals to me personally but the other games, even Fallout 3 did. So if people like what they saw, more power to them but I think I'll pass on the game.

I guess it remains to be seen if things like 'repair' will be a skill that can be used on a multiple of things in the environment. It looks like contextual menus is a thing now, so even if it isn't in the base game it should be something that can be added on with mods. Like the aforementioned lifts. This was something that was present in the isometrics and which also make perfect sense in 3d. Look like that is the case what with the towers/generators etc.

What exactly from Fallout 3 appears to be missing? Other than the weathered art-deco aesthetic, which appears to have been polluted with derived sci-fi styling from other games (Mass Effect etc)

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

I AM BRAWW posted:

It's hard to discuss the uh video game, and have a valid arguement (wherein both parties discuss their sides, points and opinions), with someone who is named crawlkill and filled with seething rage towards Bethesda and their uhm generic hm role playing action shooter game. Whatever anyone says, your mind is already made up on "Fallout 4 is going to be the worst." and it's a pity. Anyhow we know you'll forever long for the soothing embrace of an amazing story driven post-apocalyptic video game like Fallout 1/2, but you're ruining the whole Bethesda Praising CircleJerk we have here.

I can't even tell how you feel here, but as noted above, I liked New Vegas? you can have an roleplaying action shooter game that still has strong setting-character-narrative elements, and Fallout 1/2 were also built on terrible-ish combat engines.

literally my only point here is that Bethesda has lazy/underfunded/undersupported/over-corporate-managed/just awful writers. I don't know what combination of the five it is, and there are probably other variables that didn't spring instantly to mind. when they're working in their own IP, it's merely exhausting. when they're working in an IP rooted in strong storytelling, one that you care about, it becomes an issue worthy of complaint. and when people who like the game won't acknowledge the complaint, it festers and becomes bitterness. I have no problem with anyone who says "yeah, Bethesda scripts and narratives suck, but I like the games anyway." that's not what I hear from most people i talk to on the topic.

I want to be able to enthuse about Fallout 4 more than most people would like to be able to. it's the fact that I can't that drives me to whine. I dunno why you think this isn't a normal way for a person to feel.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

crawlkill posted:

I can't even tell how you feel here, but as noted above, I liked New Vegas? you can have an roleplaying action shooter game that still has strong setting-character-narrative elements, and Fallout 1/2 were also built on terrible-ish combat engines.

literally my only point here is that Bethesda has lazy/underfunded/undersupported/over-corporate-managed/just awful writers. I don't know what combination of the five it is, and there are probably other variables that didn't spring instantly to mind. when they're working in their own IP, it's merely exhausting. when they're working in an IP rooted in strong storytelling, one that you care about, it becomes an issue worthy of complaint. and when people who like the game won't acknowledge the complaint, it festers and becomes bitterness. I have no problem with anyone who says "yeah, Bethesda scripts and narratives suck, but I like the games anyway." that's not what I hear from most people i talk to on the topic.

I want to be able to enthuse about Fallout 4 more than most people would like to be able to. it's the fact that I can't that drives me to whine. I dunno why you think this isn't a normal way for a person to feel.
I think you should wait for whether or not Obsidian gets a side game contract, save all your obvious conclusions for that outcome.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hope you can change the colour of the HUD elements. I guess they're going for the same style as the pip-boy, but that green looks really ugly and garish.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I think you should wait for whether or not Obsidian gets a side game contract, save all your obvious conclusions for that outcome.

the sad thing is I'll be completely unable to resist buying Fallout 4. I give this poo poo a CHANCE. every time. "fool me an infinite number of times, shame on me." I hope Obsidian does a licensed game, but I don't think anyone thinks that's likely.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

crawlkill posted:

the sad thing is I'll be completely unable to resist buying Fallout 4. I give this poo poo a CHANCE. every time. "fool me an infinite number of times, shame on me." I hope Obsidian does a licensed game, but I don't think anyone thinks that's likely.

At least wait until its on sale dude. Have some self respect.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

crawlkill posted:

the sad thing is I'll be completely unable to resist buying Fallout 4. I give this poo poo a CHANCE. every time. "fool me an infinite number of times, shame on me."
Have you considered BDSM

quote:

I hope Obsidian does a licensed game, but I don't think anyone thinks that's likely.
Yes Bethesda wouldn't like practically free money this is totally a smart business decision

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Eiba posted:

I mean, if it was just about being queer... it's a psuedo-50s dystopia with a utopian veneer. Of course you could be gay but forced by convention into a traditional relationship. It just probably wouldn't look like that relationship.

I always thought there was a pretty heavy subtext that James was having an affair with Dr Li, and that that was something that just wasn't talked about in F3. That and creepy christian moralism. FNV kind of had a more prohibitionist era everything-goes mobster undercurrent, which was cool too in it's own way. Maybe people just missed the subtleties of Fallout 3's story?

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
I just came back to remind everyone whose bitching that they're a bunch of man babies.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

crawlkill posted:

Please don't buy bad games or DLC, and certainly don't preorder them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
TAKE MY MONEY BETHESDA

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Flaky posted:

Maybe people just missed the subtleties of Fallout 3's story?

Ahahahaha.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

bhlaab posted:

At least wait until its on sale dude. Have some self respect.

I actually asked myself if I would be able to do that. I can only hope. I REALLY LOVE FALLOUT. I need to see what they're doing to it, even when I'm sure it's gonna be atrocities. =\

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Have you considered BDSM

it would make sense wouldn't it

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yes Bethesda wouldn't like practically free money this is totally a smart business decision

other way around, Obsidian got badly burned on New Vegas, and even if they negotiated a more sensible contract this time around, seems like the bad taste might linger

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Time is a flat circle

This thread in a nutshell.

But in all seriousness I loving love pre-release Bethesda threads.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

crawlkill posted:

other way around, Obsidian got badly burned on New Vegas, and even if they negotiated a more sensible contract this time around, seems like the bad taste might linger
actually exactly one month after that they were talking to bethesda about whether they should make a new game somewhere in New Orleans or some poo poo so i'm pretty sure that's overblown by internet people

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Flaky posted:

Please don't buy bad games or DLC, and certainly don't preorder them.

Yeah how dare people spend $50 on the sequel to a game from a studio whose games most people spend 80+ hours players.

Literally. $50.

Holy poo poo. That's like. 6 Hours of minimum wage labour.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Eiba posted:

All the pre-war stuff is just the questionable memories implanted into your robot body anyway, you can choose to believe they define your character as a person or not :2bong:

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

fennesz posted:

This thread in a nutshell.

But in all seriousness I loving love pre-release Bethesda threads.

is it always all optimism before and all bitching after or what?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

All the pre-war stuff is just the questionable memories implanted into your robot body anyway, you can choose to believe they define your character as a person or not :2bong:
this is the twist everyone is waiting for and i will personally be disappointed if they don't go with this

khy
Aug 15, 2005

crawlkill posted:

My point was that every time you make a generalization and someone steps forward to contradict it, you end up whining even more that they're only responding to parts of your posts or that YOU just happened to have experienced things differently than they did. You act all put out when people get on your case about the way you're presenting your arguments, all I'm saying is rather than bitching about the responses you should consider different wording. Case in point, it's entirely possible to be a fan of something while acknowledging its flaws and problems, which is the entire reason I called myself a fanboy earlier. In response to your poor choice of words to describe fans of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Did they say how many weapons the game is gonna have? did I miss something from the showcase?

• Locked thread