Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you want their try at major status quo shifts and fresh takes, go back a year.
Poor DCYou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Curious, I know that people talk about Barry's return as a thing because of Johns love of Barry, but wasn't it Morrison who brought back Barry in Final Crisis? It's been years since I read Final Crisis (and I really don't have an urge to revisit it) but was it Morrison or Johns who wanted Barry back?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's a Flash story only because every major universe shakeup uses the speed force as a macguffin.

Before this only Flashpoint did that. And Flashpoint was notoriously an unplanned hijacking of a normal Flash story.

Madkal posted:

Curious, I know that people talk about Barry's return as a thing because of Johns love of Barry, but wasn't it Morrison who brought back Barry in Final Crisis? It's been years since I read Final Crisis (and I really don't have an urge to revisit it) but was it Morrison or Johns who wanted Barry back?

They brought back Barry in Final Crisis to sell it but it was to set up Flash Rebirth which was the reason they were bringing back Barry. They were advertising Barry returning in Rebirth moreso than Final Crisis. Morrison wrote it as Wally doing the same thing, anyhow, there was just some redundancy to add another big moment.

It was EVS who wanted Barry back the most and Johns obliged. Atleast, EVS takes the credit for pestering Didio about it until he acquiesced and Johns obviously, you know, wrote the garbage that followed.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Before this only Flashpoint did that. And Flashpoint was notoriously an unplanned hijacking of a normal Flash story.

And Crisis. And kinda Final Crisis.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Morrison hijacks editorial if anything.

"So 52 will explain the one year gap we're doing, right?"
"Sure!" *Writes space dolphin priest Lobo story"

"Any chance you could tell us what you have planned for your Superman origin so we can let George Perez know what he can write? No? Okay. You're the man."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 4, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

And Crisis. And kinda Final Crisis.

There was no Speed Force before 1993 or whatever so no, not Crisis.

I think the only thing the Speed Force did in Final Crisis was kiss Iris better.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you want their try at major status quo shifts and fresh takes, go back a year.
Poor DCYou.

Nah that's fine. Like I said it's just an internal bias from jumping into Marvel right around when Hickman launched his run on New Avengers and Avengers. I guess there is still a lot of things in the background with the totally not beyonders from in between space that hasn't been revealed yet. Of course that doesn't mean anything will.

Oh sort of a random question, but right before Rebirth there was that truth and justice arc I read part of (and wasn't bad), but is there any reason why they didn't use American Way? Just wondering if they've followed the whole approach of all the recent Superman movies and just kiboshed it to generic Earth values?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Two Tone Shoes posted:

There was no Speed Force before 1993 or whatever so no, not Crisis.

I think the only thing the Speed Force did in Final Crisis was kiss Iris better.

Ok, instead of Speed Force I should have said "The Flash and associated bullshit derived from running really fast"

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

Ok, instead of Speed Force I should have said "The Flash and associated bullshit derived from running really fast"

I'll give ya COIE and Flashpoint but Infinite Crisis, Zero Hour, and Final Crisis were pretty Flash irrelevant in the overall story. Just kind of show up for a bit.

edit: Just hit me that it is kind of funny that the only big ones where The Flash was central were when Barry was the main Flash. I guess we'll see how "big" Rebirth is and Wally is going forward.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 5, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's because Flash is the savior of the universe.

He'll save every one of us.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Squizzle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Squizzle posted:

I think Barry's batting 1 for 2 on saving the universe instead of destroying it, to be fair.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Bizarro dialogue is a delicate balance, I thought Morrison was skating on the razor's edge of tolerability with it. But it came off as poetry next to Jeph Loeb's Bizarro (and Batzarro, and Yellow Lantzaro and Bizzonder Womzarro or whatever) in Batman/Superman. There's "speaking opposite" and "Not-Me You not unsay goodbye not when me not unenter not a door not-me not unthink no-yesterday!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's just following it to the logical conclusion and I can respect that. Inconsistent bizarroing bugs the hell out of me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is gonna be interesting to see how Lobdell handles this new Bizarro in RHATO

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is gonna be interesting to see how Lobdell handles this new Bizarro in RHATO

For completely inexplicable reasons, he'll have his galactic evildoer characterization from Superfriends.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Poorly"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

WickedHate posted:

That's just following it to the logical conclusion and I can respect that. Inconsistent bizarroing bugs the hell out of me.
Not-that untype of not-unsilence no am not unam not uninininininininconsistent no-unway not of never not-dewriting not no un Not-UnBizarro.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You're not wrong, it's all dumb, which is why I think Bizarro should just talk normally. But if you're gonna do the reverse speech, you gotta commit. Otherwise it's just lazy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

WickedHate posted:

You're not wrong, it's all dumb, which is why I think Bizarro should just talk normally. But if you're gonna do the reverse speech, you gotta commit. Otherwise it's just lazy.
Not sure it's less lazy to not even try to make it reverse and just not undo not what you aren't not am no unsaying never not no no no no no no unsay. It's just even harder to understan-- I mean, no-not it unjustly not no uneasyest not never not to misconfuse not. I mean, if you're getting paid by the word, awesome.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lobdell am best writer in all of comics

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i really don't like bizarro or his speech patterns

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just write normal dialogue with an asterisk and an editors footnote "translated from bizzarrish".

Or put a translator around his neck, that would be hilarious.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

Lobdell am best writer in all of comics

I think you mean Lobdell am not best artist on none of movies. :colbert:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I think Bizarro should just talk normally.

Xinder posted:

i really don't like bizarro or his speech patterns

greatn posted:

Just write normal dialogue with an asterisk and an editors footnote "translated from bizzarrish".

You're the worst people. I don't want to know your opinions on Etrigan.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Etrigan should be played by Lin Manuel Miranda

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Teenage Fansub posted:

But Etrigan is great? He's at the top, I'd rate.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

It always the best of times when Etrigan drops some of his dope-rear end rhymes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think Etrigan is ace. Also he is not from space.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

greatn posted:

Etrigan should be played by Lin Manuel Miranda

:agreed: except Black Thought.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Actually I changed my mind he should be played by Daveed Diggs.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:allears:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The worst that can happen is that book and Lobdell writing it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Would you rather Lobdell be on something with promise? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does your heart actually flutter seeing a plain house ad for Red Hood?

I wish I could love something as much.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
As a fan of Jason, I'd like to see him given to fresh hands. Counting multiple series', it's kind of inexplicable Red Hood has lasted so long, let alone with the same writer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Does your heart actually flutter seeing a plain house ad for Red Hood?

I wish I could love something as much.

Well, Red Hood/Arsenal never had a single ad through its whole run so I'm just happy about seeing RHATO Vol. 2 having one.

Plus, I like the tagline :v:

WickedHate posted:

As a fan of Jason, I'd like to see him given to fresh hands. Counting multiple series', it's kind of inexplicable Red Hood has lasted so long, let alone with the same writer.

If ain't broken

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If ain't broken

Realtalk, some good moments aside, I can't say Lobdell's run has been nearly good enough all the way through that I wouldn't give it a brand new creative lead. Well, one I like, at any rate. Tynion's interlude was the nadir and possibly the worst thing to ever come out of the New 52(yikes).

I...guess it's hitting the mark with it's audience, though, given your praise and the baffling fact that it still exists.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I wish I could be as excited for literally anything like DT is for Red Hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is Jason really still a rogue Robin at this point? He's got Batman's symbol on his chest, he makes it to all the family functions, and Bruce has only ever given him a finger wagging over the past few years. He's no more a rogue Robin than Nightwing at this point.

I like having Bizarro around, but I don't know what his purpose is from a narrative point. Like, I get that it's cool to see heroes fight their literal reverse. That's why nearly everyone has one. I just don't know what you do with him after that.