Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

kiimo posted:

Also it is WAY WORSE to injure the same knee twice.

Ok and it's way worse to have your eyes gouged out than it is to get cataracts, but either way you're not flying at night anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Teemu Pokemon posted:

This is just as dangerous and important when assessing risk. If he's not as healthy or ready as we think and/or have been led to believe, that's usually not a good sign. It could be nothing, or it could be everything. I just think that it's weird that he's 30, has had two surgeries, is taking (slightly) longer than previously thought, and nobody cares

People were taking him 1st overall last year. We care.

He's just... really good.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I'm not really down on Charles, i just think it's weird that his risk is largely ignored when compared to how people would see a different back in a similar situation. Peterson has the same tread on his tires, same mediocre offense surrounding him, same youth movement at his heels, a similar age, and even less injury history, yet I see way more people who think he's "done" than I do of Charles.

Just interesting imo

I mean, AP is going 1-2 rounds earlier than Charles, even in PPR where Charles has a much higher ceiling. That doesn't suggest way more people think AP is done, or that people are ignoring Charles' risk.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I don't really hear anyone talking about any of this. I guess it's just implied. But I just never really realized it and it seemed weird to me, y'know?

Like people have been actively waiting for Peterson to fall of the cliff and his red flags are essentially the same as Charles' for all intents and purposes. Almost every time his name comes up someone alludes to the "he may die!" scenario, but this is the first time I can really remember a serious Charles discussion since he got hurt in the first place

e: I love Charles, and I hope he's fine but his recovery from the first injury was IIRC, pretty average w/r/t to timetable (not an insane like 4 months or whatever Peterson's was), not to mention that Charles was, at the time of their respective injuries: younger, less "banged up", and in an infinitely better situation in his offense (watching the Vikings run one of the most dominant RBs in history off LG 28 times a game is a maddening exercise)

We're assuming that Charles is also this other-worldy specimen, while ignoring that it very well could just be circumstance. He hasn't really given us any reason to believe he's not, but there really isn't any concrete evidence that he is when you really think about it.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 7, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

We're assuming that Charles is also this other-worldy specimen, while ignoring that it very well could just be circumstance. He hasn't really given us any reason to believe he's not, but there really isn't any concrete evidence that he is when you really think about it.

Man somebody really oughta look into that.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Peterson has been doubted for years because he can't catch the ball and accumulate easy points. He has to be a dominant runner to pay off his adp.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I clearly mean that by "how well he recovers and ages after major injuries" and not as an indictment of his talent. Christine Michael is loving "talented"

An first ACL injury at 25 after ~600 career touches is definitely different than a 2nd one (obviuosly worse on the same, but on either knee) at 29 with another 1,000 on top.

e: for comparison: Peterson had his ACL repair at 26 after over 1,600 professional touches, was sidelined for like two months shorter than the average healing period for a professional athlete, came back to be one good carry away from breaking the all-time rushing record on almost 350 loving carries, and hasn't been seriously injured since

Am I really a lunatic for thinking that assuming Charles is in the same class of human because he's a "really good runningback" isn't just being a little hopeful?

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 7, 2016

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Professor Moriarty posted:

We had a guy like that my dynasty league. Pretty smart player & drafter and won the first couple of seasons due to that. Then I took over the league and started replacing all random fucktards and dgaf's the previous LM had recruited with people who knew how to do smart trades- and more importantly, when to say no and end negotiations. After that he claimed our league wasn't fun any more and quit.

To this day, the remainder of us from those days joke about demanding a first round pick in exchange for Roman Harper.

Unfortunately/fortunately missed that era. I had fun for a season until my irreverent sense of humor got me in trouble.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

We had a guy like that my dynasty league. Pretty smart player & drafter and won the first couple of seasons due to that. Then I took over the league and started replacing all random fucktards and dgaf's the previous LM had recruited with people who knew how to do smart trades- and more importantly, when to say no and end negotiations. After that he claimed our league wasn't fun any more and quit.

To this day, the remainder of us from those days joke about demanding a first round pick in exchange for Roman Harper.

Glad that guy got his just desserts, still think you handled my brothers team like an rear end though

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Sorry Latimer truthers (if any still held out hope).

https://twitter.com/johnelway/status/773633695164923904

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I passed on Charles and I know too much about the Chiefs team than really one should at my age.

I'm just disagreeing with some of the particulars. I'm not saying he averages 5.8 YPC this year. But he can be slowed by the knee and average 5.1 and that's a step back for him. He's not RB1 material anymore, he's in a committee now but that committee actually might help his production, especially on those screens he loves so much because the defense can't key on them like they were when you've got other backs in there.

More importantly, however, is the solidifying of the Chiefs line. They went from really bad to okay to really good in two years. They also have two new tight ends and a second year wide receiver to pull attention away from Charles.

He's going to score points for someone and I'm not worried about his knee. But you're right, he's no RB1.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Like people have been actively waiting for Peterson to fall of the cliff and his red flags are essentially the same as Charles' for all intents and purposes.

Peterson has literally 1000 more rushing attempts than Charles. He's been used as the bellcow in Minnesota since he came out of OU. Without missing significant time, his lowest season (15 games) he had 2 less carries than Charles most prolific season. There's no way Charles and Peterson have the same amount of wear. You can't have lived through the Thomas Jones year and expect us to believe that.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

kiimo posted:

I passed on Charles and I know too much about the Chiefs team than really one should at my age.

I'm just disagreeing with some of the particulars. I'm not saying he averages 5.8 YPC this year. But he can be slowed by the knee and average 5.1 and that's a step back for him. He's not RB1 material anymore, he's in a committee now but that committee actually might help his production, especially on those screens he loves so much because the defense can't key on them like they were when you've got other backs in there.

More importantly, however, is the solidifying of the Chiefs line. They went from really bad to okay to really good in two years. They also have two new tight ends and a second year wide receiver to pull attention away from Charles.

He's going to score points for someone and I'm not worried about his knee. But you're right, he's no RB1.

If he fell to me near the 3/4 turn and I could get him as my RB1 in a PPR with 3 good WRs I'm willing to take that risk, but for what risk is attached to him, I'm just leery of him otherwise is all, and pointing out why is such an alien concept (which is really the thing I'm commenting on here)

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I drafted (.5ppr) AP 1.7 and Jamaal 2.4 and pretty fine with that. But mostly because I have Ware starting Week 1.

All this Jamaal chat is hurting my nostalgia.

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 7, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ben Nevis posted:

Peterson has literally 1000 more rushing attempts than Charles. He's been used as the bellcow in Minnesota since he came out of OU. Without missing significant time, his lowest season (15 games) he had 2 less carries than Charles most prolific season. There's no way Charles and Peterson have the same amount of wear. You can't have lived through the Thomas Jones year and expect us to believe that.

And Charles has blown up both his knees now and neither time did he recover nearly as quickly as Peterson did when he tore his knee the first time after logging more touches to that point in his career than Charles has yet to have.

Adrian Peterson is a Freak, Jamaal Charles probably isn't

E: poo poo Peterson and Charles have recorded nearly the same amount of touches since their respective injuries (Peterson has less than 100 more). Peterson hasn't been seriously hurt since and Charles has, this is with all of those mounting carries that Peterson has to deal with that Charles doesn't. In that time Petetson has averaged 5.18 yards per touch to Charles' 5.66 so it's not even like he was definitively a better back than the older, more used, also previously injured Peterson.

e2: All I'm saying is that if..

A) Adrian Peterson is a physical freak who can defy most medical logic

and

B) Jamaal Charles is, like Adrian Peterson, a Very Good NFL RB

are both true

C) Jamaal Charles should be able to compete at the same level as he has in the past, like Peterson, after recovering from the same injury

doesn't necessarily follow. Especially when you factor in everything else in said in this post

e3: time makes fools of us all, except for Adrian Peterson apparently

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 7, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If nobody cared he'd be a top 5 pick. People DO care which is why he's falling to the 3rd round. Just like AP the year he came back from his ACL injury.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Peterson is on steroids/HGH.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

Peterson is on steroids/HGH.

God made him a first rounder, science keeps him there.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I distinctly remember the reaction to taking Peterson in the 3rd being one of "I guess" whereas Charles falling to the third has largely to this point been one of "hell yeah"

I guess a lot of that has to do with Peterson really being the poster child for and first extreme example of "ACLs aren't that big of a deal anymore" but I just think it's strange how that's the case

And I think a lot of his falling has just as much to do with Zero RB being prevalent and almost every other top-10 RB carrying tons of risk as well. When Peterson got hurt "get two good RBs ASAP" was still pretty much the industry standard which makes the reaction to his injury even more peculiar in relation to Charles'

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 8, 2016

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
So my first ever fantasy football draft is half-point PPR. How should I take that into account for player valuation?

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

Eschatos posted:

So my first ever fantasy football draft is half-point PPR. How should I take that into account for player valuation?

You should probably look at half point PPR rankings instead of standard or full PPR.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Spiros posted:

Glad that guy got his just desserts, still think you handled my brothers team like an rear end though

Yeah, I'll definitely cop to that being probably one of the stupidest things I've done as an LM so far. For what it's worth, I'm sorry about that.

Zypher posted:

Unfortunately/fortunately missed that era. I had fun for a season until my irreverent sense of humor got me in trouble.

...and holy crap I am STILL pissed off about that bit of pointless drama those guys caused that got you pushed out of my league. All those dumbasses that complained are (mostly) gone now, sooooo let me know if you want in on the fun again someday.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eschatos posted:

Click the beer sheets link in the OP. It has a .5 PPR sheet.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Forever_Peace posted:

Sorry Latimer truthers (if any still held out hope).

https://twitter.com/johnelway/status/773633695164923904

Somewhere, Cecil Lammey screams into a pillow

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Spoeank posted:

Somewhere, Cecil Lammey screams into a pillow

For a different reason...

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yeah, I'll definitely cop to that being probably one of the stupidest things I've done as an LM so far. For what it's worth, I'm sorry about that.

...and holy crap I am STILL pissed off about that bit of pointless drama those guys caused that got you pushed out of my league. All those dumbasses that complained are (mostly) gone now, sooooo let me know if you want in on the fun again someday.

Is that girl still in the league or was she one of those dumbasses? Just curious.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

e: no idea what's going on anymore

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 8, 2016

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

3 DONG HORSE posted:

0.5ppr, no keepers. L Bell for Elliot. Who wins?

Elliott getter. Bell is the better back but will play 3 less games of 14 relevant ones and the lack of ppr reduces Bell's value a significant amount. Elliott also catches and you better believe he'll be doing that with Dak Prescott at the helm.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Thanks. Too bad he retracted the offer. Was definitely a mash situation but I always hesitate during preseason. :(

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Guys... Football starts tomorrow 😊

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

LmaoTheKid posted:

For a different reason...

The Unbearable Lightness of Being Cecil Lammey

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Start your studs but sit your Thursdays

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Start your studs but sit your Thursdays

I don't think that's applicable for Week 1, when everybody's had a full week off (or two weeks if they skipped the 4th preseason game).

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

No no, make sure you sit every Panther and Bronco.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Joking aside, I'm going all in on Thursday. I have at least one Broncos or Panthers starter on every team this year :stare:

that's a lot of bad scores I'm gonna get

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Anyone think there is any dynasty value in Ware? Certainly we don't really know how long Charles is going to be iffy or whatever. Both West/Ware are young guys, and Reid seems pretty stable in KC and his system is set.

If I have Ware in a dynasty PPR, what should I be looking for if people are wiling to trade?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Joking aside, I'm going all in on Thursday. I have at least one Broncos or Panthers starter on every team this year :stare:

that's a lot of bad scores I'm gonna get

My RBs are going against Seattle, Carolina or is Danny Woodhead.

Yikes.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I love Spencer Ware.

He's above average. But he does not have the talent to ever be your starting running back.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Been interesting reading the Charles chat on here recently. I picked up Ware in a half PPR league and the Charles owner has offered me Crowell for him.

I'm not sure what to make of Crowell. He's not really a pass-catcher and he's in a committee with Duke. I feel like Ware is talented enough to play himself into a committee with Charles. My other RBs are Frank Gore, Ryan Mathews, LeGarrette Blount, and Dion Lewis (IR). I'm only starting two RBs each week.

Thoughts on what I should do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

surf rock posted:

Been interesting reading the Charles chat on here recently. I picked up Ware in a half PPR league and the Charles owner has offered me Crowell for him.

I'm not sure what to make of Crowell. He's not really a pass-catcher and he's in a committee with Duke. I feel like Ware is talented enough to play himself into a committee with Charles. My other RBs are Frank Gore, Ryan Mathews, LeGarrette Blount, and Dion Lewis (IR). I'm only starting two RBs each week.

Thoughts on what I should do?

You have two options:

- use West as an RB2 or flex as long as he is out-producing Jamaal. Then flip him to that guy for Crowell.

- flip him now since you'd be getting good value for that pick.

Is the other guy desperate or would he devalue Ware once his volume drops?

• Locked thread