Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is there a way that i can select a texture node and quickly preview just that node on my model?

like, say i just have a noise texture going into a displacement on a sphere. i want to temporarily look at the black and white noise pattern on the sphere, rather than its displacement effect, without having to disconnect and reconnect nodes. keyshot lets me do this by just selecting the noise node and pressing C, for Color preview. can blender do the same?

e: also can i change the increment when i drag on a number field? i want it to drag in .001 or .01 instead of .1

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

is there a way that i can select a texture node and quickly preview just that node on my model?

like, say i just have a noise texture going into a displacement on a sphere. i want to temporarily look at the black and white noise pattern on the sphere, rather than its displacement effect, without having to disconnect and reconnect nodes. keyshot lets me do this by just selecting the noise node and pressing C, for Color preview. can blender do the same?

e: also can i change the increment when i drag on a number field? i want it to drag in .001 or .01 instead of .1

make sure you have the node wrangler add on enabled. then it’s ctrl + shift + right click

if you hold shift while you drag then the increment gets smaller, but no it kinda sucks you can’t really fine tune it. best you can do is drop a math node before and use math to change the increment. it’s lame

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 30, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

make sure you have the node wrangler add on enabled. then it’s ctrl + shift + right click

if you hold shift while you drag then the increment gets smaller, but no it kinda sucks you can’t really fine tune it. best you can do is drop a math node before and use math to change the increment. it’s lame

ah yeah that trick with node wrangler is something I used to use all the time

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
blender (certified good software) version 4.0 was released today

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sweet. i have been using the beta but ima get the real thing right now!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
inspired by the shell rendering chat in the nodevember thread:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i used an iteration zone. you can set the max hair length and the number of iterations to get the density you want. hair length is driven comes by the maximum length length * image texture brightness

edit: same monkey but with subdivision before the geometry nodes instead of after:

Wheany fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 27, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

neat, is it fast?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
not especially. with cycles it takes a few minutes to render. with eevee it's pretty much instant

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Anyone have ideas for how you'd do animated fx for the rapidly evolving orange effect in this? I have some fake volumetrics that might do for stills, but wouldn't really work in motion since the structures split and break apart, and my other thought is Voronoi patterns in a volumetric cloud since they can split in that way, but it seems like it'd be hard to get the right kinds of shapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtHGXFS_xXY

Reason Voronois occurred to me is I made these sail effects and they're kind of the right sort of thing but the shapes aren't right for this. Maybe more generally the idea of procedural 3D textures controlling the density of a volume could work..?

https://s1.webmshare.com/bxago.webm

e: That embed doesn't work but it should show if you copy the link.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 27, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
blender 4 has a new colour transform/management thing

idk if it’s better than filmic. it certainly isn’t just entirely better whereas filmic made the previous management worthless

I am rendering up some kind of animations to show the difference

but internet is hosed so who knows if and when I’ll get it up 😉

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

blender 4 has a new colour transform/management thing

idk if it’s better than filmic. it certainly isn’t just entirely better whereas filmic made the previous management worthless

I am rendering up some kind of animations to show the difference

but internet is hosed so who knows if and when I’ll get it up 😉

its better than filmic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am slowly accepting that maybe it is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I am slowly accepting that maybe it is

colors desaturate toward white at high values rather than clipping to pure red, green, whatever. it looks better

plus its written to work natively w/ different color spaces so by using agx you can use rec2020 or the apple p3 or whatever its called spaces rather than being stuck to srgb

and its also written to work with spectral cycles, which is definitely coming any day now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I ran a couple of comparisons to see which one I preferred more and I have settled for the new one, as evident with new animation in images thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
same old poo poo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

echinopsis posted:

same old poo poo

good old poo poo

SuperDepressing
Feb 19, 2011

hello,

I've been working on recreating the opal carpaint shader in cycles that epic showed off in one of the UE substrate shader demos.

Here's a few quick renders

https://i.imgur.com/S4SPArj.mp4

get it here: download

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

very cool shader, and nice Lexus model

SuperDepressing
Feb 19, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

very cool shader, and nice Lexus model

thank you, im working on an update with better "depth" :)

edit:

https://i.imgur.com/9zrUiFh.mp4

SuperDepressing fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 30, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thats so fuckin sick man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is the two colour management thigns up agsaint one another

redyced to gif

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

this is the two colour management thigns up agsaint one another

redyced to gif

agx on the left

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sure is

for my rodtronics purposes it’s not inherently better because I wanted colours baby

but

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

SuperDepressing posted:

hello,

I've been working on recreating the opal carpaint shader in cycles that epic showed off in one of the UE substrate shader demos.

Here's a few quick renders

https://i.imgur.com/S4SPArj.mp4

get it here: download

drat, you did all that with fresnel?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/ZmUiBhO.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

holy poo poo

and u know how much i love a sparkle

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Oh my god, people.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

unsatisfied w/ using the mouse. i am in process of writing a python script to turn reverse polish notation math crap into geometry nodes. wish me luck

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

which made me realize. a node graph flows very similarly to reverse polish notation

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
RPN owns but if you'd prefer an infix notation the shunting yard algorithm is very easy to implement

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zlodo posted:

RPN owns but if you'd prefer an infix notation the shunting yard algorithm is very easy to implement

yah i might do that next. i just think rpn is an easier notation to operate on b/c u just need a simple stack. next step would be something to translate infix into rpn

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anyway the next thing i need to get working is a way to reuse "variables". so like that value node labeled x, i want to be able to plug it into another add node further down the chain. i guess i need to keep track of a map of symbols to node references and then build up those additional links as a post processing step or something

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

fart simpson posted:

anyway the next thing i need to get working is a way to reuse "variables". so like that value node labeled x, i want to be able to plug it into another add node further down the chain. i guess i need to keep track of a map of symbols to node references and then build up those additional links as a post processing step or something

Yeah that's a common way to construct a dag from a linear representation

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zlodo posted:

Yeah that's a common way to construct a dag from a linear representation

good to know my first intuition is reasonable

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

fart simpson posted:

good to know my first intuition is reasonable

did you steal it from a more qualified westerner in the dag factory, fart?

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I didn't really mean that and if anything gets my rear end moving across the world yet again before I retire it might well be china's inevitable world dominance

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shitface posted:

did you steal it from a more qualified westerner in the dag factory, fart?

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

unsatisfied w/ using the mouse. i am in process of writing a python script … into geometry nodes.

we have come full circle