Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/AnonyMooseXIV/status/1357879457659428865?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Actually, I think if this is connected to Silvertear, and not just turning up there because we're near, that deconfirms the 24-player raid being about Silvertear. This would, if anything, be the MSQ staking this as its claim. Which clears the way for the 24-player to be about something that... you know, has actually been mentioned in-game at any point since 2013.

Like Gelmorra. Or Amdapor. Or the Elementals--you know what, just make the alliance raid 'Dealing With The Shroud's Bullshit' and I think we're good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Actually, I think if this is connected to Silvertear, and not just turning up there because we're near, that deconfirms the 24-player raid being about Silvertear. This would, if anything, be the MSQ staking this as its claim. Which clears the way for the 24-player to be about something that... you know, has actually been mentioned in-game at any point since 2013.

Like Gelmorra. Or Amdapor. Or the Elementals--you know what, just make the alliance raid 'Dealing With The Shroud's Bullshit' and I think we're good.

Omega was both a 3.5 MSQ plot point and a 4.0 raid series, so this could easily be both too

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I don't think being part of the MSQ means it can't be a raid. It's just that the raid is unlikely to significant impact the MSQ (until they decide to make it mandatory in seven years time).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

So, something from the 5.5 trailer that someone in the Novice Network brought up today, that I'm surprised we never brought up at any point. Forgive the blue slash, that's a scene transition I couldn't frame-by-frame out.

What's that? It's clearly in Mor Dhona, is the Thing Under Silvertear going to suddenly matter after not being brought up since 1.x? Or is it just another mighty wizard doing something to get our attention in Mor Dhona just because we're usually there?

Its venat. Momma crystal can't talk directly because her heart is out walking around.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Tall guy. Robe. Mysterious.

It's just loving Urianger again.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I mean, there are still a lot of mysteries so the raid could be anything from the Elementals, to "what happened in the First/Second Astral Era" to "is Rowena actually a sundered Ancient who invented Capitalism?".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Because this is a two-part patch, there's story stuff in that trailer from 5.55 as well. (That isn't the only shot in there we didn't see yet.) So the answer is "we don't know until Late May".

Yoshi did mention something in an interview about a new character, though...

I don't think he specifically said a new character, just a character that would have some import to 6.0 would appear. It could be a new character or it could also be Fordola with her obvious "new expansion" redesign.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Its venat. Momma crystal can't talk directly because her heart is out walking around.

That seems like a bad idea, given that most of the reason Zodiark is losing right now is because Elidibus decided he was bored and lonely.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

That seems like a bad idea, given that most of the reason Zodiark is losing right now is because Elidibus decided he was bored and lonely.

Yes. They're setting up a lot of parallels between the two both in ShB and the lead up to EW like that key art they showed off where they're two halves of the same figure.

It would also explain why she needed a 3rd party to be her voice in 3.x forward.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's another alternate history take. Until, say, months ago in storyline, Zodiark was winning. Elidibus was probably essential to that process, and even if not, his interference hasn't been a negative. If he didn't pop out of Zodiark, he probably would have been sundered and stuck the entire time anyways.

The only reason that's changed is they all decided to hop into a clown car and ride it into the WoL.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's another alternate history take. Until, say, months ago in storyline, Zodiark was winning. Elidibus was probably essential to that process, and even if not, his interference hasn't been a negative. If he didn't pop out of Zodiark, he probably would have been sundered and stuck the entire time anyways.

The only reason that's changed is they all decided to hop into a clown car and ride it into the WoL.

And that now they just left the giant crystal mech free for a Garlean fight idiot to take.

We actually have, now that I think about it, pretty much no idea what most of the Ascians were up to this whole time. We know that Emet was responsible for Calamities three and seven on the Source's side (partial credit for seven also goes to Lahabrea), that Loghrif and Mitron were in charge of prepping the First (and hosed it up), and that Elidibus pulled Unukalhai to the Source after, according to a wiki check just now, Igeyorhm bungled the first Rejoining.

That's a LOT of blanks, and very little information to fill it with. We know that Elidibus' style means he probably wasn't responsible for the sixth Calamity, which is the only other one we have details on; I'm inclined to pin #6 on Lahabrea, just because we know weirdo doomsday weapons were involved, while none of the nations at war felt particularly 'Emet' in scope or outlook.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, except that it's hard to really say Elidibus was an influential sort before the game's events. He's not responsible for anything we know they did, at least.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It seems like Zodiark was winning until the Ascians got impatient. There were what, thousands of years between calamities and then they try to kick one off only five years after the last.

Granted Bahamet didn't cause as much destruction as the previous ones but it counted for a rejoining.

Though I suppose they only tried again so soon because they hosed up on The First and we're about to have a repeat of The Thirteenth.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At the very least he saved Cylva from the 13th, who was instrumental in the 8th calamity, until it was averted. He also sent the Warriors of Darkness to the source, with their various plans.

He might not have done the front line on any plan, but likely had his hands in a lot of them. Probably a lot of balancing the issues on the shards, as well as the status on the source. After Thordan failed, he sent help to clean up the Warring Triad, as one example.

Otherwise, it's hard to tell what they were doing in general.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My understanding is that the thousands year gaps weren't by choice but because the calamities gently caress the world up so badly there just isn't the capacity to do another one for a good long while. Louisioux saved the source during the seventh calamity, leaving them free to try for a double. There's probably some alternate reality where the WoL keeps knocking down calamity-juiced primals without ever getting a swing at the unsundered themselves and they just blow through all the remaining rejoinings in a single generation

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 19, 2021

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's pretty much it. Most calamities left the world back in the stone age. It takes time to rebuild society enough that it can do damage to that scale again.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think it's weird how the Ascians hosed up the 13th and instead of stopping or trying to fix it they just went "ah 13/14 is probably fine, right guys?"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Badger of Basra posted:

I think it's weird how the Ascians hosed up the 13th and instead of stopping or trying to fix it they just went "ah 13/14 is probably fine, right guys?"

I think I recall them thinking that maybe the flood of light would balance it out? I forget, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Badger of Basra posted:

I figured they were leaving that one on the back burner to figure out later while they worked on the mergings they knew they could do. We know from Eden that it's possible to reverse a Flood, after all.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think their plan was that they didn't need a full rejoining. Like, 10/14 would be enough for Zodiark to break his chains, at which point he can do the rest.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
13/14's gonna be good enough, or maybe Zodiark can fix the rest once he breaks free. They're not gonna say "welp, one's lost. Time to give up."

Eden and the First isn't really a good example of the Flood of Darkness though. The scale of devastation on the Thirteenth is well beyond the First, and at least on the First all the aether is still there and somewhat usable.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

13/14's gonna be good enough, or maybe Zodiark can fix the rest once he breaks free. They're not gonna say "welp, one's lost. Time to give up."

Eden and the First isn't really a good example of the Flood of Darkness though. The scale of devastation on the Thirteenth is well beyond the First, and at least on the First all the aether is still there and somewhat usable.

yeah thawing out something frozen (metaphysically, via light aether stagnation) is probably quite a bit easier than putting something back together that's been in a blender for a while (metaphysically, via darkness aether chaos)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm honestly starting to think that the Ascians had no idea what the gently caress they were actually doing with the Rejoining. Not in a "bad writing" way, in a "they just kind of had to hope it would work even though it really obviously wasn't going to work" way.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm honestly starting to think that the Ascians had no idea what the gently caress they were actually doing with the Rejoining. Not in a "bad writing" way, in a "they just kind of had to hope it would work even though it really obviously wasn't going to work" way.

Each "success" must have given them confidence it would work though right?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chillgamesh posted:

Ultimately it was three guys, one of whom was incredibly naive, one of whom was incredibly sad, and the last of whom was Lahabrea. Emet-Selch was clearly the dominant figure in this group based on what we know now, although Lahabrea may have had some chops that we just did not see because he was mostly being Riku from Kingdom Hearts before we killed his rear end.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nessus posted:

Ultimately it was three guys, one of whom was incredibly naive, one of whom was incredibly sad, and the last of whom was Lahabrea. Emet-Selch was clearly the dominant figure in this group based on what we know now, although Lahabrea may have had some chops that we just did not see because he was mostly being Riku from Kingdom Hearts before we killed his rear end.

Actually, since like I mentioned Igeyorhm is given credit for loving up the Thirteenth (only mentioned in the first Encyclopedia Eorzea, naturally), we can assume that more than just the three Paragons were on deck for all the big moments--most likely, all thirteen.

It could've been anyone's credit for finally getting a Rejoining right. To the point where it probably doesn't matter, because... well, what do we do with that information? Give Pashtarot a trophy for thinking of 'what if simultaneous genocides' as a plan? Kill them harder? More likely, let them have that achievement and never once interrogate it as evil to the level that it deserves?

Also, minor correction: give credit where it's due, we didn't kill Lahabrea, Thordan did. And it continues to be in the top five MSQ moments.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

Also, minor correction: give credit where it's due, we didn't kill Lahabrea, Thordan did. And it continues to be in the top five MSQ moments.
We killed Thordan like twenty minutes later so by the transitive property,

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of the trailer though I'm suspicious that there's one more dungeon because there's footage of trusts fighting Ifrit, Odin, and Ravana

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It might be a solo duty? Most patches have one and I noticed its absence this time around.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
Yeah, the theory being kicked around is that it's likely a solo duty and perhaps even a role-play one (like, the Scions all split off to deal with multiple lunar primals at once, so you do each fight as one of them, kind of thing). At the very least, it seems to be taking place at Carteneau (or somewhere with very similar geography), so they wouldn't likely make a dungeon out of that.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
It's possible. The only solo duty with trusts in the game so far is the Emperor Varis trial in the pre-Bozja quests. Seems unlikely to me they'd put in three new ones in a x.55 but a dungeon would also be weird. Maybe it's just a big misdirection and it's actually a cutscenes lol

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Using trusts would actually be a nice way to make solo duties that can actually be slightly difficult outside of just being a gear check.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
having a surprise dungeon would absolutely own, if not just so EXDR didn't have relict for the next 6 months.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Really the only reason the ascians aren't winning anymore is because the scion pulled a permadeath macguffin out of their Sharlayan asses. The actual plans getting thwarted isn't the hugest of deals, it's probably happened often enough before and at least team Ardbert managed in recent memory. I don't think there's anything they could have done to avoid their gradual extinction other than proactively taking out the scions instead of being mysterious cutscene-only dudes for 90% of the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Nessus posted:

We killed Thordan like twenty minutes later so by the transitive property,

By ending the Dragonsong War we have killed every last one of its victims. That's why Zenos has such a murderboner.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
To be fair we also did all the work on Lahabrea. Thordan just came for the kill steal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

To be fair we also did all the work on Lahabrea. Thordan just came for the kill steal.

The final shot is always the important one with Ascians, though, you don't kill them right and they just come right back. Given that the dragon's eye we had was busy murking Igeyorhm, Thordan had to step in.

He was helping!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I love helping. I helped shuffle Thordan off this mortal coil.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Chillgamesh posted:

The Ascians, in particular the Unsundered, are extremely unreliable narrators. Two were Tempered and the third was literally the heart of the god that did the Tempering and missing at least some major share of his actual identity, of the remaining two, one was severely depressed and the other had been driven into a 15000 year long manic phase. Their plan for the 13th really did basically boil down to 'Once Zodiark is fixed, Utopia is just another sacrifice of lives away.'

A post rejoining world would've just been a factory for producing more aether, eternally trying to fix the previous fuckup in procedure.

'We need more aether to fix the part of Zodiark that we lost with the 13th.'

'We need more aether to bring our sacrificed friends back.'

'We need more aether to restore the world JUST SO....'

etc etc etc.

They're Tempered, they can't think of a solution that doesn't, at some point, involve 'Let Daddy Fix It.' and for Zodiark to fix it, a sacrifice will ALWAYS be required.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gearhead posted:

A post rejoining world would've just been a factory for producing more aether, eternally trying to fix the previous fuckup in procedure.

That's what's always stopped them from being truly sympathetic figures to me. If there had been anything that pointed to "yes, this plan is 100% foolproof if we can pull it off", it'd come off a lot less "cool murder, still interdimensional genocide".