Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I see that IIMM and raise you the power couple of Padme and Anakin.

You know, as stupid as yours is, mine’s stupider. An attempt was made, in however overblown and histrionic a way, to actually convince us that PadKin was a thing. It doesn’t matter how dumb or unconvincing it is: they make an attempt to explain it in the movie.

The Matrix has ‘The Oracle told me I would fall in love with the one, and I’m in love with you so you must be The One’.

No romping with space heffalumps, no sand dialogue, no agony of forbidden love in front of a roaring fire, insanely cliched and ludicrously unrealistic though it was.

In fact, thinking about it, the entire point of the second trilogy is to establish that Anakin Loves Padme Even Though It’s Wrong. You would be correct in saying they do it in the most childish and fatuous way imaginable, but I would argue that they do do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was just referring to the complete lack of chemistry.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I was just referring to the complete lack of chemistry.

what, this chemistry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI8aSJBC9u0&t=439s

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It might even just make more sense they say they were young, horny and repressed, with Anakin having lived as a warrior monk for about a decade while Padme was busy being a teenage politician. And of course Padme's idea of laying low is a ridiculously picturesque romantic getaway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BrigadierSensible posted:

Re French Film creepiness man/child relationships:

I always found the relationship between Ron Pearlman and the little girl in City of Lost Children to be extremely unsettling.

If I remember right, he calls her his "petite soeur" which means little sister, but still it was weird and creepy.

One starts calling Miette "little sister" because he calls his adopted ward Denree "little brother". It's not creepy at all.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Anakin and Padme were so dumb because how freaking young Anakin was when they met. He was freaking six or something.

They should have made him him like 13 or something, and Padme would be around 18. So the age gap isn t huge, but their developmental age and maturity would be.

So Anakin could be like: :grin: "Hey baby" when they first met. And Padme would be like :jerkbag: "What ever twirp."

Then after 5-6 years training they meet again, Anakin would have undergone a massive change, both in appearance and personality (while still being recognized as the same character) then Padme would see him differently, while her self her appearence and personality would change less so. Also a short enough time gap they'd remember each other well.

As it is; Anakin jumps for semi-toddler to a full adult, Padme apparently doesn t age at all, and apparently it's not creepy either to hook up with someone you knew when they were a young child. Like 12 years go by or something; the two Anakins aren t even remotely similar.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shnag posted:

Anakin and Padme were so dumb because how freaking young Anakin was when they met. He was freaking six or something.

They should have made him him like 13 or something, and Padme would be around 18. So the age gap isn t huge, but their developmental age and maturity would be.

So Anakin could be like: :grin: "Hey baby" when they first met. And Padme would be like :jerkbag: "What ever twirp."

Then after 5-6 years training they meet again, Anakin would have undergone a massive change, both in appearance and personality (while still being recognized as the same character) then Padme would see him differently, while her self her appearence and personality would change less so. Also a short enough time gap they'd remember each other well.

As it is; Anakin jumps for semi-toddler to a full adult, Padme apparently doesn t age at all, and apparently it's not creepy either to hook up with someone you knew when they were a young child. Like 12 years go by or something; the two Anakins aren t even remotely similar.

According to Google he turns 10 during the movie and she's 14

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Len posted:

According to Google he turns 10 during the movie and she's 14

I don't understand why there was confusion. In 'The Saga Begins' Weird Al quite clearly sings:

quote:

Ahh, do you see him hitting on the queen
Though he’s just nine and she’s fourteen
Yeah, he's probably gonna marry her someday

You're goons arguing about Star Wars. Don't try and claim you don't know the song because that's not gonna fly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You know lowtax could afford a robospine made of pure diamond laced platinum powered by depleted uranium if he set up a kickstarter with stretch goals to ban star wars chat for a month

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jojoinnit posted:

I don't understand why there was confusion. In 'The Saga Begins' Weird Al quite clearly sings:

You're goons arguing about Star Wars. Don't try and claim you don't know the song because that's not gonna fly.

Honestly I'd forgotten that line until after the Google search which shouldn't have happened because the Running With Scissors tour was the first concert I went to back in 4th grade.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Movies that go the "The Big Short" route of telling "based on a true story" movies where everyone has their name and position/title flashed either in a freeze frame with text or insisting on having a name tag in front of them at all times. I know it's a lot of characters to keep track of, but like if the ceo of some small bank doesn't really matter to the story, maybe just don't bother introducing them to us and then use that extra time to introduce us to the main players in a more natural way. It's like if an action movie did a freeze frame when the bad guy makes an appearance with "hey stupid audience, this is the bad guy, he is against the good guy, we assume you'll forget this though so don't worry, we'll put a bad guy nametag on him for all future scenes".

e: i might have been thinking more about too big to fail. But whatever, I think both did it to some extent.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Mar 16, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Creed 2:

Is it really necessary to make the music so drat loud? It goes from sounding like a normal volume or even slightly quiet movie, then the scene cuts and suddenly my walls are shaking from the bass.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Wizard:

If the tournament was the first time Mario 3 had been played by the public then how did Jenny Lewis know where the warp whistle was located?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The Wizard:

If the tournament was the first time Mario 3 had been played by the public then how did Jenny Lewis know where the warp whistle was located?

He has an uncle

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The Wizard:

Someone here doesn't believe in the heart of the cards...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In Captain Marvel, the Skrulls would morph into human disguises complete with clothes. But when they would go back to being Skrulls their clothes wouldn't morph back. Why?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jessica Chastain overacts so much in two scenes in Zero Dark Thirty that it ruins the whole movie.

I'm the motherfucker that found this building!!!

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Mu Zeta posted:

Jessica Chastain overacts so much in two scenes in Zero Dark Thirty that it ruins the whole movie.

I'm the motherfucker that found this building!!!

You could cut like a full hour of Zero Dark Thirty and it would vastly improve the movie

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In the Incredibles 2, why don't the kids remove the loving goggles off the supers they knock down! I mean, they saw Frozone go all crazy when the goggles were dropped on him, so clearly it has an affect on people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

In the Incredibles 2, why don't the kids remove the loving goggles off the supers they knock down! I mean, they saw Frozone go all crazy when the goggles were dropped on him, so clearly it has an affect on people.

They're kids and they're on the running away most of the time. Also, their superpowers are mostly defensive in nature against some pretty offensive sups.

Jack Jack is the only one who can really beat up a bad guy and he's too busy wandering around looking for cookies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Panfilo posted:

In Captain Marvel, the Skrulls would morph into human disguises complete with clothes. But when they would go back to being Skrulls their clothes wouldn't morph back. Why?

Maybe they like those clothes.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Aphrodite posted:

The original author selected this as the best answer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Because then they'd be naked

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Krispy Wafer posted:

They're kids and they're on the running away most of the time. Also, their superpowers are mostly defensive in nature against some pretty offensive sups.

Jack Jack is the only one who can really beat up a bad guy and he's too busy wandering around looking for cookies.

I choose to go with "they're scared kids" when I watched because when Violet actually stops and stands up for herself she gives one hell of a beat down.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

You could cut like a full hour of Zero Dark Thirty and it would vastly improve the movie

Not making that propaganda poo poo would have been the best move.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Panfilo posted:

Dude they couldn't even be bothered spending the time making the lead character likeable, you think they give a drat about those kind of oversights?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nutsngum posted:

Dude they couldn't even be bothered spending the time making the lead character likeable, you think they give a drat about those kind of oversights?

I'm seriously hoping :chloe: is :thejoke:

It's hard to tell because 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Aphrodite posted:

I like this theory. A lot of Sci fi that involves aliens morphing into other people describes the process like an actor playing a role. Some actors really get into their character.

Tunicate posted:

Because then they'd be naked

They had uniforms before, I assume they could morph back. And I assume the uniforms are made out of some kind of unobtanium that morphs with the Skrull (maybe it constitutes the 'clothes' part so they could plausibly remove articles of clothing that aren't physically part of their body).

I also realized after the fact that some of the more :shepface: looking Skrulls may have been a homage to their initial depiction (they had much bigger eyes and looked much more silly) though I do wonder if they are just their version of Skrulls with downs syndrome or something because young Skrulls aren't weirdly proportioned.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Panfilo posted:

I like this theory. A lot of Sci fi that involves aliens morphing into other people describes the process like an actor playing a role. Some actors really get into their character.

They had uniforms before, I assume they could morph back. And I assume the uniforms are made out of some kind of unobtanium that morphs with the Skrull (maybe it constitutes the 'clothes' part so they could plausibly remove articles of clothing that aren't physically part of their body).

I also realized after the fact that some of the more :shepface: looking Skrulls may have been a homage to their initial depiction (they had much bigger eyes and looked much more silly) though I do wonder if they are just their version of Skrulls with downs syndrome or something because young Skrulls aren't weirdly proportioned.

Except that the uniform stays with them when they die. I mean, it doesn't make a ton of sense, but gently caress it, sort of a weird compromise one has to make when dealing with shapeshifting aliens from beyond the moon.

As for the weird looking Skrulls, that pretty racist dude. Maybe they're depictions of beauty are different from yours, ever thought of that? Maybe what you consider a weird-looking Skrull is considered a pinnacle of beauty, who knows.

(I'm pretty sure it's just, like, how some humans have weird proportions and some don't. Would be boring if we saw the same-looking Skrulls everywhere in the film)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Really though, it seems to hurt to shapeshift? The clothes don't really matter so that's like 80% of your body you don't have to morph back.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The one Marvel comic I owned as a kid described the kree/skrul war and the skrul were plants. Guess they left that out.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Remulak posted:

The one Marvel comic I owned as a kid described the kree/skrul war and the skrul were plants. Guess they left that out.

Doesn't seem relevant

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Aphrodite posted:

Really though, it seems to hurt to shapeshift? The clothes don't really matter so that's like 80% of your body you don't have to morph back.

Speaking of shapeshifting hurting: The shapeshifter episode of early Supernatural was hard to watch, with the extreme amount of pain it was in when it transformed. Its teeth even bloodily ripped out of its mouth to make room for the new ones. :gonk:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Superhero movies that always make the hero take his mask off or make sure it's damaged enough to see the star's face. Spiderman is a big offender here.

And while I'm thinking about masks, I was watching an X-Men retrospective recently and am kind of bummed we've never gotten the full on Wolverine mask, even in a jokey "no loving way I'm wearing that" way or as an aside.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
They had a Wolverine mask prop in a deleted scene for The Wolverine but they didn't go through with it for some reason.

James Mangold was a bad Wolverine director :colbert:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

Superhero movies that always make the hero take his mask off or make sure it's damaged enough to see the star's face. Spiderman is a big offender here.

And while I'm thinking about masks, I was watching an X-Men retrospective recently and am kind of bummed we've never gotten the full on Wolverine mask, even in a jokey "no loving way I'm wearing that" way or as an aside.

We did get a good Wolverine mask

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gaunab posted:

They had a Wolverine mask prop in a deleted scene for The Wolverine but they didn't go through with it for some reason.

James Mangold was a bad Wolverine director :colbert:

Oh poo poo. That owns.

How did they leave that out?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The cool thing is that entire prop is 3d printed. Cloth, mask, everything.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh poo poo. That owns.

How did they leave that out?

He probably looked stupid wearing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There was apparently test -footage of Jackman wearing the yellow-outfit twenty years ago. Completely covered but with no dignity.