Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Phanatic posted:

If it's on time and on budget but doesn't meet objectives, it's probably not entering into service. Of if it's not meeting objectives, enough time or money will be dumped on it to get it to enter into service that it won't be on time and on budget anymore.

The A-5?

The A-5 had some issues though. Mostly related to the "stores train" / horizontal bomb bay concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

StandardVC10 posted:

The A-5 had some issues though. Mostly related to the "stores train" / horizontal bomb bay concept.

And the whole, 'being 77 feet long' thing. And still having a wingspan in the 40 foot range with the tips canted up.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

If pooping out nuclear bombs is wrong, I should stop going to Mexican night.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

bitcoin bastard posted:

If pooping out nuclear bombs is wrong, I should stop going to Mexican night.

I was about to call the A-5's bomb bay the "poop chute" but I wasn't sure people would know what I meant.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

aphid_licker posted:

Is the B-52 considered current in terms of its jamming capabilities? Would it be expected to be able to enter airspace defended by a decently capable air defense system, or would it stick to firing cruise missiles or something from outside it until the system is mostly down?

The B-2 exists, and is getting an updated followup in the form of the B-21. Doesn't this answer your question?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Cat Mattress posted:

The B-2 exists, and is getting an updated followup in the form of the B-21. Doesn't this answer your question?
There is also an ALCM replacement program in the works.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

StandardVC10 posted:

Yeah, that's what he was asking for. On time, on budget, *doesn't* do what you wanted it to do.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Did John McCain show the Right Stuff?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

:jerkbag:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jesus christ.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Quick someone photoshop Trump standing in front of the Vietnam memorial calling them all losers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

That Works posted:

Quick someone photoshop Trump standing in front of the Vietnam memorial calling them all losers.

More like "I had to rent a private jet once when my 757 broke down, so I know all about sacrifice."

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

This is incredibly hosed up, tasteless, garbage.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

That Works posted:

"I prefer the veterans of wars we win." :smugdon:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

"I prefer the veterans of wars we win." :smugdon:

50,000 people who just don't get how much sacrifice is involved in getting 5 deferments.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
No no guys don't forget he fought his personal Vietnam in the Battle of Poon Tang

or so he says

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Mortabis posted:

No no guys don't forget he fought his personal Vietnam in the Battle of Poon Tang

or so he says

We lost many good men on that Mons.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Warbadger posted:

This is incredibly hosed up, tasteless, garbage.

They've got a great piece about the sinister death of William Colby, too.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

standard.deviant posted:

There is also an ALCM replacement program in the works.

Doesn't most of that article say it isn't in the works?

Also, why are we not just simplifying our inventory by just making Tomahawks in their various AGM/BGM/RGM/UGM versions to fit every need?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Here's a pretty picture of everyone's (second/third) favorite eurocanard:

https://twitter.com/spphotographyuk/status/759812354481594369

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Some nice pictures of modernized T-72s, plus some other commie tanks.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

B4Ctom1 posted:

Also, why are we not just simplifying our inventory by just making Tomahawks in their various AGM/BGM/RGM/UGM versions to fit every need?
The actual debate for ALCM replacement revolves around the nuclear aspect, not whether it is going to happen. LRSO is the nuclear-first option, JASSM-ER is another candidate with broader applicability. Either way, some sort of ALCM replacement seems likely to happen.

I suspect that the reason for Tomahawk not being the universal answer goes along the lines of "something something IADS something something low observable, please give us more money."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The TLAM warheard is something like 1/3 the size of a CALCM. But the AGM86 desperately needs to be replaced, as was determined around 1980.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
:hellyeah:

e:

quote:

At 15-20 ft altitude and at .93M, well over 600 MPH, you can clearly see the shock wave being pushed in front of the jet in the grass, much like the wave a ship pushes ahead of it. Look closely and you can see the grass rolling over just like a wave... go much faster and the jet passes that wave and you would hear a sonic boom and the jet would be supersonic...
...and yes, thats fast!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

All this compares favorably to Trumps military record.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

B4Ctom1 posted:

It's not LO/fast?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

B4Ctom1 posted:

LRSO RFP just got released the other day, along with the GBSD (Minuteman replacement)

LRSO nuclear is pointless. The "well we need a conventional LRSO regardless" argument is stupid too, JASSM-ER is being integrated on the BUFF (already integrated on the Bones) and if it isn't up to snuff for the range just pay LM to make a JASSM-RER (Really Extended Range)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

just turn the b-52 into a standoff jammer already

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cat Mattress posted:

I would not call the B-21 an updated followup to the B-2. Using the experience learned with what were good and bad requirements that drove insane costs and tenuous technical ability isn't really the military's style. You can bet the air force will add a bunch of requirements, whose conception always starts with "well why dont they just", that won't work and will drive it to be mostly terrible or hilariously expensive or both.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 6, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That actually is one of the specific points of the project, and why Grumman will build it. It's also explicitly part of whatever the F-22 replacement is being called. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary. The revolutionary tech that's on the way is likely to be in energy weapons and if we're smart, EA/EP. The Pentagon is very aware that it can't afford any more of the acquisitions fiascos like we've seen recently.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Godholio posted:

That actually is one of the specific points of the project, and why Grumman will build it. It's also explicitly part of whatever the F-22 replacement is being called. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary. The revolutionary tech that's on the way is likely to be in energy weapons and if we're smart, EA/EP. The Pentagon is very aware that it can't afford any more of the acquisitions fiascos like we've seen recently.

Yep. We'll see if that happens.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Forums Terrorist posted:

just turn the b-52 into a standoff jammer already

This was supposed to happen but big Air Force showed it's usual disdain for anything non kinetic and let it die on the vine.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
yeah everything I've seen indicates that they really are taking the "evolutionary, not revolutionary" thing very seriously with the B-21. It sounds like it's basically going to be an new production B-2 with updated avionics + room for upgrades/growth (like those revolutionary directed energy and/or EA weapons), which if you think about it isn't really a bad thing at all.

Like Godholio said, everyone is very aware that another F-35 or B-2-esque debacle is not something the DoD can afford. People very high up on the acquisitions side of things are on high alert for requirements creep.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Remember when they said that about tanker 8 years ago...and then went with a significant development over an already flying modification...and now it is super late and massively over budget.

-or-

"The Triton is just a Global Hawk for the Navy" *Adds sense and avoid radar*, *immediately 355 million over budget*

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 6, 2016

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Have Lockheed or the missile makers started trying to push LO pylons/conformal pods or ordinance casings?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

Remember when they said that about tanker 8 years ago...and then went with a significant development over an already flying modification...and now it is super late and massively over budget
Well, hopefully John McCain won't personally grudge-gently caress this project over a contracting scandal.

vulturesrow posted:

This was supposed to happen but big Air Force showed it's usual disdain for anything non kinetic and let it die on the vine.
There are a lot of practical problems with the idea as well.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
daaaamnn
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=987_1470079085

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

C.M. Kruger posted:

Have Lockheed or the missile makers started trying to push LO pylons/conformal pods or ordinance casings?

JASSM is already supposed to be LO, but it seems to me nearly impossible to make a LO from most angles thing hanging from a pylon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Boeing has pitched some LO conformal pods.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/defense-space/military/fa18ef/docs/ash_product_card_130904.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Yep. the SAA seems to have overextended in quite a few places and rebels have made a lot of quick progress breaking the siege of Aleppo.