Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
I am quite okay with how this is going so far, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're Federated Suns exclusive. Yeah.

Does CMW not build them in this timeline? I know they did in the standard one.

The 2nd Lyran Guard was literally 2 battalions of Firestarters with 1 battalion of Hunchbacks.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

S8 Valkyrie
- Through-Armor Critical chance in Right Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - LRM-10 ammo hit!
- S8 Valkyrie suffers 100 damage to Right Torso (0/12 armor, 0/7 structure remains)! Torso destroyed!
- - 86 Damage transfers to Center Torso (0/14 armor, 0/10 structure remains)! 66 damage vents harmlessly! `Mech destroyed!

:allears: I love TACs. The write-up for this was greatly anticipated, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can someone explain movement to me? I have 5/8, which I thought was five hexes walking and eight running, but I (H3) couldn't move all the way to hex 2929, six away from me. What am I confused about?

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
You add 1 extra move to go up or down in elevation and also add a point for entering a forest. It looks like there are two elevation changes and a forest between you and your intended ending spot.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Grand Fromage posted:

Can someone explain movement to me? I have 5/8, which I thought was five hexes walking and eight running, but I (H3) couldn't move all the way to hex 2929, six away from me. What am I confused about?

Every time you go up a level, go down a level, move through light forest, or turn, that takes one movement point. Moving through heavy forest takes two. You moved over a rise and back down into a forest, so that took 3 of your 8 movement points and brought your total up to 7. 8 would have put you in the same hex as an ally, so that's where you stopped.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Krumbsthumbs posted:

You add 1 extra move to go up or down in elevation and also add a point for entering a forest. It looks like there are two elevation changes and a forest between you and your intended ending spot.

Ah, okay. So are the hexes with elevation numbers hills or pits? I haven't paid a ton of close attention to the details before now.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Grand Fromage posted:

Ah, okay. So are the hexes with elevation numbers hills or pits? I haven't paid a ton of close attention to the details before now.

I've been following this thread from the beginning and I still fear the moment I finally am piloting and I realize I have no clue what the gently caress is going on. :ohdear:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yes. If you look at the map, you can see borders where the elevations rise and drop.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Yes. If you look at the map, you can see borders where the elevations rise and drop.

Coolio. Thanks dudes. Now I am looking forward to being set on fire by those goddamn new mechs.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've been following this thread from the beginning and I still fear the moment I finally am piloting and I realize I have no clue what the gently caress is going on. :ohdear:

Post questions like me and don't fear looking like an idiot! I've fortunately played this type of game before but never Battletech except the computer games.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Hills. The number at the bottom of the hex shows its elevation (1, 2, 3, etc.) a pit would have a negative number in front of it (-1, -2, -3, etc.).

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Apropos of precisely squat... why is it that House Marik typically gets the short end of every single stick in Battletech? I mean, all the Houses tend to have something that defines them, and House Marik appears to be defined by "oh yeah, and those guys there."

...why is that? I mean, heck, I always liked them because I thought they had the coolest emblem (gently caress yeah purple birdwarrior) but they seem to be the very literal fifth wheel of the Great Houses; is it just that there was never a novel author that liked them and filled them with Mary Sues, or what?

They did get one of the goofiest novel covers of any BT book:Ideal War

Marauder slap fight!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PhotoKirk posted:

Marauder slap fight!

IIRC Things that did not appear in that book: Marauder. Awesome.

Things that did appear in that book: An unarmored jeep with an H-Bomb in the back seat.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

So I'm reading the infantry primer because I'm bored and have nothing better to do. Someone please explain this line:

PoptartsNinja posted:

- those Shuriken that the Smoke Jaguars use to make their bidding process even more retarded than the normal

:allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

Marauder slap fight!

(stolen from the MWO thread)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's nice to see the dice smiling on us for this battle, though I'm sure this is just waiting for the other foot to drop. Also, let's show some respect to those crazy Kestrels who just jumped into the middle of an overstrength star of Clanners. They have to know that isn't going to end well in Firestarters, but if it will slow them down stepping over their corpses then :black101:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GruntyThrst posted:

So I'm reading the infantry primer because I'm bored and have nothing better to do. Someone please explain this line:

:allears:

When bidding, most Clans just electronically choose who's going and who isn't.

The Smoke Jaguars break out loving Shuriken and throw them at a dart board, which their opponent has to put their hand on. If you hit your opponent's hand, you lose that star of `Mechs from your bid. Then, your opponent does the same to you but if your opponent breaks any of your stars with his stars, you lose them from your bid as well.

Of course, if your opponent breaks a star on one of your stars, he loses them but still. It's the dumbest thing.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

PoptartsNinja posted:

When bidding, most Clans just electronically choose who's going and who isn't.

The Smoke Jaguars break out loving Shuriken and throw them at a dart board, which their opponent has to put their hand on. If you hit your opponent's hand, you lose that star of `Mechs from your bid. Then, your opponent does the same to you but if your opponent breaks any of your stars with his stars, you lose them from your bid as well.

Of course, if your opponent breaks a star on one of your stars, he loses them but still. It's the dumbest thing.

Wow, that IS dumb. I guess they make the shuriken out of some lovely steel. Or maybe they just throw them 50% harder because clantech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It makes more sense when you realize that every Clan warrior is Serpentor from G.I. Joe.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GruntyThrst posted:

Wow, that IS dumb. I guess they make the shuriken out of some lovely steel. Or maybe they just throw them 50% harder because clantech.

The Smoke Jaguars' gene repository was sabotaged by the introduction of the derp-gene at one point or another. It's the only explanation for some of the idiotic poo poo that they pull.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're Federated Suns exclusive. Yeah.

If by exclusive you mean designed and produced on Coventry and a fairly common light mech across the inner sphere.

Valkyries are the ones very strongly tied to the Federated Suns.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Smoke Jaguars' gene repository was sabotaged by the introduction of the derp-gene at one point or another. It's the only explanation for some of the idiotic poo poo that they pull.

My most successful mission

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ha. I found my copy of Ideal War. I was going to post one of the interior pictures to sum the book up for the thread, but they're all incredibly bland. Then again, the same could be said about Ideal War. Ba-dum tish!

So here, have a derp-eyes Paul Masters:

Ideal War's Final Paragraph posted:

"Yes, my liege," Sir Paul Masters whispered, closing his heart against doubt. "Yes, I think it will." And in an instant his spirit was buoyed, rising to float amid all the stars of space and all the souls that had gone before him.

Also appearing in this book: Word of Blake, murdering about a million people on Thomas Marik's behalf. It takes place in 3054.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 29, 2012

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Death commandos! You're winning! Keep winning!

Death commando best commando!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

First blood to the Death Commandos, but then again, their opponents were only Valkyries, so I guess they were expected to go down rather quickly without dishing out much damage in return. Popping one by TAC was cool, though. That lance of Firestarters that dropped on the Clan Star might be some free kills for the Hell's Horses next turn though. And depending on which direction those Sunfires turn, they're looking like more kills for the Clanners. Let's see how these next couple of turns end up.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

It makes more sense when you realize that every Clan warrior is Serpentor from G.I. Joe.

So "Seyla" translates in to "This I command!"?

Gnarly.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

My most successful mission

Assuming this is about firestarters. They were around in the 4th Succession War, as we'll see when Andy Redburn returns to the stage in Warrior: Riposte

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

PhotoKirk posted:

So "Seyla" translates in to "This I command!"?

Gnarly.

Nope, but close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUw8cN6R8o0

Scurrilous
Sep 2, 2006
evolutionary throwback
I honestly expected more of a mad scramble to set everything on fire the first turn. There aren't nearly enough smoked up elevated wood hexes for you to snipe from right now. Ah, well. Things should be plenty on fire next turn.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PoptartsNinja posted:

X8 Mongoose
- Drops prone!
- Holds fire!
- Spots for Indirect Fire!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 15!

I have this mental image in my head now of a giant robot dropping prone and producing enormous binoculars made out of two Hubble Space Telescopes taped together and a Buick-sized walkie-talkie.

It is glorious.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

I have this mental image in my head now of a giant robot dropping prone and producing enormous binoculars made out of two Hubble Space Telescopes taped together and a Buick-sized walkie-talkie.

It is glorious.

Human-sized binoculars held on a stick up to the cockpit, like theatre glasses!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
That loving Rifleman IIC. :stare:

Intellectually I knew what they were capable of, but that think just reached out to gently caress off range, did ten damage and didn't even over heat. Closing the distance is going to make that mech a god drat murder machine.

Though even taking that into account, if the goons keep up a kill rate of two mechs a turn manage to avoid a single loss this scenario will still take something like twenty turns to complete. Have fun.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Anta posted:

Human-sized binoculars held on a stick up to the cockpit, like theatre glasses!

One or both of these needs to be drawn.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

cafel posted:

That loving Rifleman IIC. :stare:

Intellectually I knew what they were capable of, but that think just reached out to gently caress off range, did ten damage and didn't even over heat. Closing the distance is going to make that mech a god drat murder machine.

Though even taking that into account, if the goons keep up a kill rate of two mechs a turn manage to avoid a single loss this scenario will still take something like twenty turns to complete. Have fun.

Less, the clan pilots have their own space magic here, too.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah. The rifleman alone will probably kill a mech per turn its left alive.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Just imagine if Williams was driving it. 0/0 with a speed boost.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
They should make a movie out of this scenario.

Rather. PTN should write a book about this campaign. I mean once this is all over there will be a giant pile of mechs where there was once an davion elite regiment.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

At least we don't have the Yen-Lo-Wang popping up and carving the Rifleman to bits with stupid decorations of excess.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How will Justin Xiangs Yen-Lo-Wang look once we get back with a boatloat of clantech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Affi posted:

How will Justin Xiangs Yen-Lo-Wang look once we get back with a boatloat of clantech?

Replacing the standard armor with Clan FF, the AC/20 with a UAC/20 (plus 2 extra tons of ammo!), the MLs with ERMLs, and installing DHS means a ~50 percent increase in BV. It still has a standard structure and fusion engine. Discounting the intangible costs (the trial and error of messing with clantech, etc.), it "only" costs an extra 800k C-Bills if built from scratch.

• Locked thread