Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

AnonSpore posted:

I gave them a try the other day and when I made them per the instructions they basically became super flat (and tasty, granted) pancakes. Comments say to raise the temp but even with a 375 oven things weren't great. Wondering if you guys had any advice for my second batch sitting in the fridge right now.

How flat are you talking about? Literal pancakes, or is that hyperbole?

I have found that the recipe does give fairly flat cookies compared to others (i.e.: New York Times'), but this is basically what I want. I just make them slightly smaller than described and give them enough space to spread.

Bob Morales posted:

I'd take out the ice cube, remove a half a stick a butter, add 1/4 cup of both white and brown sugar, and take out a egg white. And don't bother with the butter browning step. And don't bother whisking the stuff, use the paddle or a big spoon the whole time. Sugar+eggs+vanilla+salt then mix in the dry, then the chips.

So, in other words, do a completely different recipe? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Make sure your oven isn't really at 275...but 325 should be fine, and 350 won't hurt. Keep the dough cold and use an ice cream scooper. If they still flatten out too much add 1/4 cup of flour. Pull them when the tops have split but the bottoms haven't gotten too much color on them yet.

It might be due to differences in the type of flour or butter I get over here, but when I make that recipe I always need to add a fair amount of extra flour because the dough comes out super wet.

Anyways, I've always struggled with cookies going all puddly and all the stuff I've read about it says it's normally caused by the dough not being chilled enough or the oven not being hot enough. I was quite surprised that this recipe called for such a low oven temperature, since other recipes usually go 30-50degrees hotter. I was never really sure what his justification for that was.

One trick I learned that might help is to form the dough into a long, 2-3" thick sausage shape, wrapping that in baking paper, then refrigerating it in that form. It chills faster and you can quickly slice off 1"thick chunks instead of needing to use an ice cream scoop to get regular sized portions.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 21, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I made those chocolate chip cookies using the exact recipe and they came out perfectly, in fact the best cookies I've ever eaten. YMMV obviously.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there a vegan thread somewhere around here?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729596

Old and dead but it was on page 6 or something.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jan posted:

How flat are you talking about? Literal pancakes, or is that hyperbole?

I have found that the recipe does give fairly flat cookies compared to others (i.e.: New York Times'), but this is basically what I want. I just make them slightly smaller than described and give them enough space to spread.

So, in other words, do a completely different recipe? :confused:

My cookies at 325 came out about the thickness of my smartphone, so thinner than most pancakes I've seen. Also they don't have a nice round edge but instead basically slope down at an acute angle right until they touch the baking sheet. I have a rimless and rimmed baking sheet and neither seems to make much difference.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm one of the commenters who said to raise your oven temp 25°. Without knowing anything about your oven I'd try 400 in your case.

Have you ever tested your oven to see if it reaches the temperatures it indicates it's at?

I don't have an oven thermometer so no. I'm just now dipping my toes into baking things, should I get one?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Browning the butter is a really important step for giving chocolate chip cookies that deep toffee-like flavor and in my mind, a necessity ever since I started doing it. I don't often refrigerate the dough because cookies are kind of an impulse thing but browning the butter is a game-changer.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

AnonSpore posted:

Also they don't have a nice round edge but instead basically slope down at an acute angle right until they touch the baking sheet. I have a rimless and rimmed baking sheet and neither seems to make much difference.

Whoops, minor cultural confusion -- I'm used to translating "pancake" into "crêpe", which is obviously considerably thinner. :downs:

I'm conflicted, "too flat" sounds like overly warm batter, but "no round edges" sounds like overly cold batter that didn't have time to melt before the outsides baked. I personally always let it warm to room temperature first.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I don't have an oven thermometer so no. I'm just now dipping my toes into baking things, should I get one?

You should absolutely get one. Ovens are terrible at reporting their actual temperature, being as much as 50ºF off would not surprise me. Whatever temperature they think they're reporting, you can be sure it's not the temperature on the rack. A simple bimetallic dial thermometer is like $5, no reason not to get one. You don't need anything fancy, just a plain old dial thermometer from the baking aisle at the supermarket.

e: when I got my house I set aside an afternoon to gauge the oven against the thermometer (it can be hard to lead such a thrilling life but somehow I manage), thinking I'd put together a chart so I could know what temperature to select for each real temperature I wanted. After a while I just gave up because the numbers were just all over the drat place, 400ºF would be spot on and 450 would be at 415 or something. Now I just shoot for within 50º of the target and adjust as necessary. It's not a fancy oven but it's not a wreck either, maybe a mid-1990s Kenmore with digital control, like the Toyota Camry of ovens or something.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 21, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hmm never made these but 1:1 sugar to flour? That sounds awfully sweet...
As for toffee aroma, you may be able to enhace that if you use muscovado sugar instead of normal brown sugar, muscovado has a toffee note to it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Get an oven thermometer for baking. For general cooking it didn't seem to matter a ton but for baking my stuff always works better when I dial it in based on a thermometer. I found my oven runs about 20-25F higher than what's on the dial.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
When I bought an oven from Sears, the dude that installed it measured the temperature and tweaked the gas settings somehow so that it was pretty spot-on. So A++ would buy again for Sears I guess.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

Hmm never made these but 1:1 sugar to flour? That sounds awfully sweet...
As for toffee aroma, you may be able to enhace that if you use muscovado sugar instead of normal brown sugar, muscovado has a toffee note to it.

1:1 sugar/flour is pretty standard in baking, a lot of cakes use that ratio. For an American style cookie it's actually pretty restrained, I've seen chocolate chip cookie recipes that have a 3:2 ratio.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I have a fairly expensive gas stove/oven (came with the house), and the temperature control is TERRIBLE. I haven't bothered to try calibrating it, as it's off seemingly random amounts.

We just keep an oven thermometer in there, and if you are baking you have to pay a lot of attention to it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Gerblyn posted:

1:1 sugar/flour is pretty standard in baking, a lot of cakes use that ratio. For an American style cookie it's actually pretty restrained, I've seen chocolate chip cookie recipes that have a 3:2 ratio.

Really? I don't do much baking myself but am used to less sweet baking, when I was little my mother taught me that it is always sweet enough even if you use only half of the sugar indicated. And that's starting from less sweet recipes. Nowadays if something is too sweet it makes feel sick... e.g. buttercream or ganache.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've never seen a chocolate chip cookie recipe that was 3:2, even your generic Nestle tool house recipe on the bag of chocolate chips is like 2-1/2 cups of flour to 3/4 white and 3/4 brown sugar

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I forgot I had chicken breast from Sunday, I bought it at the butcher and they put it in some sort of almost plastic like wrap (not not Saran Wrap but more paper like) and the tightly wrapped in butcher paper and taped up. Would it be okay to eat tomorrow for dinner? I was going to eat it unless it smells bad.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

exquisite tea posted:

The last time I made burgers we used ground ribeye, which is probably some kind of food sacrilege, but it was so good. The fat content lets it hold together without even needing an egg to bind it.

All burgers should be made with enough fat content to not need egg to bind it. I'm quite happy with grinding some chuck for an everyday burger, but do enjoy a spergier mix to optimize things. Sean Brock does 3:1 flank:Benton's bacon in his Husk burger and it is delightful.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I did 90/10 smashburgers on Sunday. No additives. Worked great.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

I forgot I had chicken breast from Sunday, I bought it at the butcher and they put it in some sort of almost plastic like wrap (not not Saran Wrap but more paper like) and the tightly wrapped in butcher paper and taped up. Would it be okay to eat tomorrow for dinner? I was going to eat it unless it smells bad.

Heck yeah. Unless your fridge is way too warm, it'll be fine.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Chill the dough after the final shaping procedure. If your dough is warm and goes into a warm oven it's just going to melt until it's flat. You need it to have enough rigidity that the cookie can begin to set before all the fat can separate out

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Okay so I refridged the dough after scooping the balls and also fridged the trays and they came out much more cookie-shaped this time. Might cut the amount of chocolate in half next time I bake. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I've never seen a chocolate chip cookie recipe that was 3:2, even your generic Nestle tool house recipe on the bag of chocolate chips is like 2-1/2 cups of flour to 3/4 white and 3/4 brown sugar

Most I can find after a google:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chocolate-chip-cookies-108703

12oz flour to 16oz sugar. It is pretty extreme though, most recipes have 9.5oz flour to 10.5oz sugar.

Hopper posted:

Really? I don't do much baking myself but am used to less sweet baking, when I was little my mother taught me that it is always sweet enough even if you use only half of the sugar indicated. And that's starting from less sweet recipes. Nowadays if something is too sweet it makes feel sick... e.g. buttercream or ganache.

I've quite a sweet tooth, but I find buttercream sickly as well. You can get these cupcakes which have inch high swirls of it on top and I don't get how anyone can eat them.

Edit: I'm dumb, the NYT recipe has two types of flour and I only read one of them :doh:

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 22, 2016

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I did 90/10 smashburgers on Sunday. No additives. Worked great.

I've started doing smash burgers on a steel pan in my grill and it is so much cleaner. I've made them maybe 4-5 times in my kitchen and the amount of residual grease splatter goes into places I didn't even know was possible. I usually use 80 or 85. Did the 90 produce gently caress up your kitchen less?

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 22, 2016

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Paper With Lines posted:

I've started doing smash burgers on a steel pan in my grill and it is so much cleaner. I've made them maybe 4-5 times in my kitchen and the amount of residual grease splatter goes into places I didn't even know was possible. I usually use 80 or 85. Did the 90 produce gently caress up your kitchen less?

After way too much smoke and grease, I've done the same thing. Cast iron griddle over the coals. Cook some bacon on there while it's heating up, then grill some mushrooms and onions in the fat, and then when it's good and searing hot I slap the balls on and squish them with weights. As a bonus, I hold the burgs over a flame for a couple secs to get some flavor. It's the best of both worlds: delicious seared smashburger crust, and charcoal smokiness. Plus, corn on the cob.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
What do I do with all the fat I trimmed off a brisket

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FishBulb posted:

What do I do with all the fat I trimmed off a brisket

Save in freezer, make tallow when you get enough?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I mean yeah, but I've never really used beef fat for anything so I'm not sure what it goes on

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Is there a method to quickly defrost a ball of pasta dough

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

FishBulb posted:

Yeah I mean yeah, but I've never really used beef fat for anything so I'm not sure what it goes on

Deep fry, shallow fry, or saute stuff with it, just like any fat. I keep tallow, schmaltz, bacon fat, and lard on hand at all times because they all impart their own flavor to whatever you cook with them. Tallow is the best thing ever for french fries or potato chips, by the way.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

FishBulb posted:

tortillas

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Deep fry, shallow fry, or saute stuff with it, just like any fat. I keep tallow, schmaltz, bacon fat, and lard on hand at all times because they all impart their own flavor to whatever you cook with them. Tallow is the best thing ever for french fries or potato chips, by the way.
I'll take duck fat over beef fat for frites any day of the week, but beef fat is still pretty good.

Anyway, apart from rendering it you can use beef fat pretty much in anything you put through a grinder where you might extra fat: ground meat, sausage, forcemeats, and so on. The quality of fat you'll trim off a brisket will be of pretty variable quality, though, so whether you'd want to use it for this kind of thing will depend on how it looks.

Beef fat is also the poo poo for making tortillas.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I was considering saving some of it for sausage making since that's a new thing for me so that's a good plan.

I haven't made my own tortillas in a long long time. Maybe I'll do that next time.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Make candles

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Mr. Wookums posted:

Next time smoosh it into a disc. I know that's not super helpful for now, but thin to win for quick defrosting. We'd thaw wonton wrappers and such in the microwave on low settings.. if the doughball was thin enough I would suggest the same, but if it really is a ball then it'd be super uneven and not good.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mr. Wookums posted:

With fish and meat you seal it in a water proof bag, then run cold water over it for 20-30m. I imagine it would work for pasta doigh too.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Tell me about your favorite way to make pierogis. I found an Emeril recipe for the dough that looked pretty decent. I was just gonna fill with ground beef, onion, garlic, feta maybe, and maybe do some sort of sour cream/parsley/black pepper dip with it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Capsaicin posted:

Tell me about your favorite way to make pierogis. I found an Emeril recipe for the dough that looked pretty decent. I was just gonna fill with ground beef, onion, garlic, feta maybe, and maybe do some sort of sour cream/parsley/black pepper dip with it.

I've done spinach and goat cheese, which was good. All of the pierogies I've made have the requisite potato and onion mixture, and I just add other things. Crumbled sausage is nice. Pepperoni sounds weird but it's actually delicious.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

The Midniter posted:

I've done spinach and goat cheese, which was good. All of the pierogies I've made have the requisite potato and onion mixture, and I just add other things. Crumbled sausage is nice. Pepperoni sounds weird but it's actually delicious.

OMFG I am in serious need of potato, goat cheese, and caramelized onion pierogi now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Capsaicin posted:

Could you link the recipe? I was planning on trying to make them for the first time this weekend, and I'm not really sure where to start beyond googling "Pierogi Recipe"