Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I've got a keg, co2 tank, double regulator, and a beer gun (I figure I'll always have some use for it even once I have a proper draft system - if only to make a few bottles for trips).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hello beer thread

I decided to brew last night, and realized (as I unboxed my gear) that I had not brewed since I bought a house and moved ~3 years ago.

so loving shameful.

brewed a simple wheat beer, 6lbs 2 row, 2lbs wheat, 1lb 20l caramel, some hallertau and tett hops, salt, black pepper, coriander, and a last minute decision to add a nonsubstantial amount of honey and rice syrup. sorta ended up doing a semi-decoction mash due to some issues with not planning far enough in advance with my mash schedule. (read : ohgod, my mash is stuck at 135 and I don't have enough hot water to heat this poo poo, gently caress it, let's pull some runoff and boil it)

1.47 OG, probably a 18-20 SRM, darker than I wanted - and pitched some wyeast belgian wit.

feels good to be back in the game - will clean out my mold-filled kegerator, and pressure wash my mold-covered kegs this week. hurray. one keg has a gose a friend of mine talked me in to kegging about 2 years ago, super excited to taste it. it was sour as gently caress 2 years ago, and we basically forgot about it, so gonna be a fun one. pretty likely all my poo poo is contaminated with brett or something, but I love sour beers so I guess gonna zen out and embrace it.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 5, 2017

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

That's the right attitude

My New England APA just went in to cold crash. 1.040 down to 1.007 in 3 days. All hail Vermont IPA yeast. Aka the king of eating sugars. Dry hopped with 1g/L each of Brooklyn, simcoe and cascade one day into fermentation to try get biotransformations, and then again with 0.5g/L cascade and 1.5g/L simcoe. I would've liked to go a gram per litre of each but my lhbs is a 20 minute drive from work and I didn't have the time to get there today, also the competition I brewed it for is on Friday so I figure I better get a move on. 8 days grain to glass, if I wasn't dry hopping it would be 3. Good healthy pitch and a monster fermentor

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Anybody else keg Skeeter Pee? Just kegged 2.5 gallons of it and it is goddamn delicious when just a bit frothy on the rocks. No back-sweetening needed, just cool crisp lemon alcohol on a hot summer day.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Does anyone know of a source for heavy 500ml cappable champagne style bottles? I'm looking for something like the bottles Wicked Weed uses.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

internet celebrity posted:

Does anyone know of a source for heavy 500ml cappable champagne style bottles? I'm looking for something like the bottles Wicked Weed uses.

https://www.txbrewing.com/equipment/bottling/bottles/morning-beer-bottle-500ml-1838.html

They have a ton of bottles and those might even be the ones Wicked Weed uses.

https://chicagobrewwerks.com/collections/racking-bottling/products/bottles-wine-500-ml-morning-dark-green-12-case

Here too, but TX brewing as $7.95 shipping.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 6, 2017

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

internet celebrity posted:

https://www.brewnorth.com/products/12-x-500ml-belgian-style-bottles

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
How many of you here have Cereal Killer mills and would like to have a larger hopper?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jo3sh posted:

How many of you here have Cereal Killer mills and would like to have a larger hopper?

Yes please. Did you figure out how to fabricate one that won't come off the nut every third time I use it?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

I have one and I am fine with the hopper. I am using a drill to turn mine though. If I had it hooked to a wired motor a large hopper would be nice, but still not even that necessary. It's not exactly hard pouring more grain in and the time savings are pretty minimal.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Jhet posted:

Yes please. Did you figure out how to fabricate one that won't come off the nut every third time I use it?

I think so. I'm prototyping something up in the next few days. The first piece is printing now. I will keep you posted.

Is this what yours looks like also, with the mounting bolts at each end?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jo3sh posted:

I think so. I'm prototyping something up in the next few days. The first piece is printing now. I will keep you posted.

Is this what yours looks like also, with the mounting bolts at each end?

That's the one. I still have it mounted to the board it came on and those are just shaking loose and the hopper is coming off.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I have one and haven't had any trouble with it. :shrug:

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I too have a Cereal Killer. No problems with it at all.... love it... but the hopper is way too small. I don't like having to do 5 pounds of malt at a time [/firstworldproblems]

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

If this works out, I should be able to get 20-25 pounds in my hopper. Which still isn't quite enough for some of my batches, but means one refill instead of six or seven.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Tell me about bottle conditioning. I've done an invert with brown sugar a few times, but haven't been 100% happy with my results. I feel like I've had inconsistent carbonation levels.

Should I make an invert? What sugar should I use? How much do I need to make? Other options? I've seen bottle conditioning tablets...

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just use corn sugar in boiling water. There's no need to do anything fancy. There are priming sugar calculators out there that will tell you exactly how much to use to hit specific volumes of CO2. Also, make sure you stir your priming sugar solution in very well. I've made that mistake before and had similar inconsistency issues.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I just use sugar cubes because they're cheap and one per bottle is perfect for a generic level of carbonation. Probably not ideal if you're trying to recreate certain styles that are flatter or fizzier than normal ( British-type ales, etc. ), but it's good enough for my purposes.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Here's a pic of the Cereal Killer setup in progress - note the 3D printed Lovejoy coupler and the riser that aligns the mill with the motor. The black disk on top is the beginnings of the hopper I was talking about earlier.

I'm thinking I will finish the hopper and build a rolling table for the whole setup this weekend.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ That's starting to look pretty cool. One of the next projects on my list is to hook it up to a motor instead of using my drill. Also building it a table with a shoot that I can clean all the dust out of without hating.

I also kegged my first beer last night and was it ever easy. It easily saved a few hours of work in packaging because of how easy and little cleaning it was compared to washing 50-60 bottles every time I package.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I just talked to my dad - I'm going over to my parents' place on Saturday to build the rolling table. The printing of hopper parts is going well, I should finish the last of them tomorrow. With any luck, I'll have something real to show off by Saturday night or Sunday.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mah ghetto-fab fermentation fridge.

just slapped a $20 network enabled temp/humidity sensor in it, it's working actually really well. started off a lil cool, adjusting up my temps

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I love this cold winter weather. Currently using my non working ale fridge (that maintains as low as 16C) to do a foreign extra stout on Franconian dark lager yeast

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

McSpergin posted:

I love this cold winter weather. Currently using my non working ale fridge (that maintains as low as 16C) to do a foreign extra stout on Franconian dark lager yeast

... meanwhile the reptile heating cord I ordered to heat my fermentation chamber arrived, and is a European plug for some reason :argh:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mindphlux posted:

just slapped a $20 network enabled temp/humidity sensor in it, it's working actually really well. started off a lil cool, adjusting up my temps

Give a goon a link?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

McSpergin posted:

Man I love that yeast.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Has anyone here used the White Labs Sacch Trois 644? I'm planning on brewing with it this week before leaving on vacation and was wondering if leaving at room temp around 75-80 degrees would work while I'm gone. Grain bill is 12 lbs of pale malt, 1 lb crytal 30, 1 lb flaked wheat, 12 oz flaked oats, 8oz of rice hulls for a better sparge. Using Amarillo at first wort for and Galaxy, Citra, and Amarillo for late hop/whirlpool and dry hopping.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Goons, how badly have I hosed up: I just bottled a beer the other day and it went fine, but today I was flipping back through the instructions to idly double check my work and remembered I'm supposed to make a solution of the priming sugar, I just dumped it in the beer and stirred for a few minutes before bottling. Is this going to stop my beer from carbonating? If so is there a way to fix it or did I just ruin my whole batch?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

It will be fine. There's no need to freak out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, if you gave it a thorough mix you'll probably be fine. At worst your carbonation might be a little inconsistent.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Awesome. Thanks, guys!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Give a goon a link?
Looks like it might be this one?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BrianBoitano posted:

Give a goon a link?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081UR76...la-313100824740

this. I debated buying it for a while because ALL GOONS DEBATE BUYING poo poo ON THE INTERNET AND READ A MILLION REVIEWS but

I'm pretty convinced anyone who gave it a bad review either had a defective unit, or were not technically savvy. The setup honestly was a little weird, you have to connect the sensor unit via hardwire ethernet, read a little quickstart thing to understand why your dumb chinabox is just sitting there flashing red lights, wire and pair up your sensors to the main "basestation" or whatever you wanna call it, download an app, create an account, register/license(??) your sensors with the company, press buttons with correct timing, etc. Not really plug and play, but it was 20 bux and once set up seems to be rock solid.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
If that thing could control my STC controller on my fermentation chamber, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I travel a lot for work and being able to tweak temps remotely would be awesome.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Hobby electronics are kinda of a pain in the rear end that way. I was really into the concept of the BrewPi when the dev was initially working on it, but when it came time to look into buying it / putting it together, it was just a mashup of dozens of individual parts. The long part being like "go to 18 different websites and order the following 2-3 parts from each one" which is tons of fun! None of it was particularly HARD to do, but losing track of any piece causes the whole thing to fail.

No one seems to want to take any of these cool electronics integration ideas and put them through any sort of "finishing phase".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

rockcity posted:

If that thing could control my STC controller on my fermentation chamber, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I travel a lot for work and being able to tweak temps remotely would be awesome.

This may be doable with one of the modified STC firmwares.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Has anyone seen this stuff before? It's Sour Cherry juice at 25% and sugar at 86g per Liter (it's 1L of liquid). Regardless of sugar content which will ferment, it's only pasteurized and contains some citric acid and no sorbates or strange ingredients. My grocery had a few other flavors of the juice at $1.50 each, so I may stock up for fruity beer supplements. Sour Cherry saison maybe soon?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

robotsinmyhead posted:

Hobby electronics are kinda of a pain in the rear end that way. I was really into the concept of the BrewPi when the dev was initially working on it, but when it came time to look into buying it / putting it together, it was just a mashup of dozens of individual parts. The long part being like "go to 18 different websites and order the following 2-3 parts from each one" which is tons of fun! None of it was particularly HARD to do, but losing track of any piece causes the whole thing to fail.

No one seems to want to take any of these cool electronics integration ideas and put them through any sort of "finishing phase".

BrewPi guy has more or less done that now, but has been OoS for a while and I didn't get a response from him when I asked him if/when he expected more on Twitter a few weeks ago.

I've been meaning to get into hobby electronics anyways, it was impetus to finally pick up an eBay soldering station so I can do a few small repairs on stuff I have laying around + hopefully tackle stuff like a BrewPi build.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jhet posted:

Has anyone seen this stuff before? It's Sour Cherry juice at 25% and sugar at 86g per Liter (it's 1L of liquid). Regardless of sugar content which will ferment, it's only pasteurized and contains some citric acid and no sorbates or strange ingredients. My grocery had a few other flavors of the juice at $1.50 each, so I may stock up for fruity beer supplements. Sour Cherry saison maybe soon?

Buy tart montmorency cherry concentrate. That's what I did for my sour cherry dark saison and it came out pretty drat good. I used 16oz in a 5 gallon batch and it was pretty spot on. It is readily available on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Mill update:

Got the cart built today with my dad. Still working on the hopper, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!