Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

Well I guess it was dried fresh then? I had hit up a new sushi joint and the dude sliced some right off the root for prep and since it wasn't pink I wondered if something was wrong with it so I decided to try it. I don't get my logic either but I'm glad I did.

No yeah, dried raw is different than pickled and I'm recommending you also try fresh raw if you can find it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squashy Nipples posted:

OK, so maybe not everything.

Love you too <3

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Croatoan posted:

Well I guess it was dried fresh then? I had hit up a new sushi joint and the dude sliced some right off the root for prep and since it wasn't pink I wondered if something was wrong with it so I decided to try it. I don't get my logic either but I'm glad I did.

have you never even seen a cooking show that used fresh ginger to know what it looks like? or seen it in the grocery store?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Nahh I literally just wrote it off.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Anybody have any ideas for another cook or die? The butter one and the eggs one have been the best fo far IMO. I'm bored as gently caress in isolation. What can we do that's fun. It's springtime but who the hell knows what surprises 2020 has for us. Greens maybe? idk.

"Post noods"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

"Post noods"
:hai:

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Nahh I literally just wrote it off.

It might blow your mind to know that not all pickled ginger is pink garbage! The better stuff is a much more natural color (do they dye it? idk).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Beans would be very of the moment, but it’s hard to make it photogenic enough to make people care. :itwaspoo:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Drink and Fight posted:

Modernist mac by: drink and fight:

- 1lb pasta
- about 12oz cubed cheese or something whatever that looks about right. not pre-shredded cheese, that poo poo has caking agent on it. you don't even need to grate it you loving animal.
- sodium citrate
- water

- cook pasta in salted water to just before al dente (like 10 minutes instead of 12 idfk)
- boil about 1 cup water
- huck about 1tbsp sodium citrate into the boiling water, does that look right? maybe 2tbsp idk.
- huck cheese into citrate water. drink and glare at it until it starts to melt. refill your drink.
- grab your immersion blender and blend up that cheese water. try not to stir it or it'll get stringy. turn off the heat first or it will blob all out of the pot at you.
- maybe reduce the cheese sauce a little if it needs it, idk does it coat the back of your spoon? good you're fine.
- yonk cheese sauce into cooked drained pasta. stir it up. add your additional pancetta or chiles or crab or pepper or whatever the poo poo else you're putting in here. refill your drink.
- let rest in pot for a few minutes idk, how runny was your cheese. eat that poo poo ( i hate baked mac).

This reminds me of the Achewood cookbook in how it's written

Xiahou Dun posted:

Edit : I really appreciate we think about recipes the exact same way. ^^^

So as part of being trapped we've been going crazy for pasties/various parcels of dough stuffed with savory fillings*. We're monkeying with the dough and doing various washes for fun, but I want more ideas for fillings. We've done mushrooms in a wine sauce with cheese ; mozzarella, red sauce and pepperoni ; philly cheesesteak ; buffalo chicken ; a kind of a pseudo spanikopita ; blackened string beans with shrimp ; blackened tomatoes with feta and gruyere ; spiced beans and poached eggs ; and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.

What are some other delicious savory filling ideas that I'm blanking on. Vegetarian options preferred cause we basically only do the meat ones when my sister visits. The mushroom cheese ones currently reign supreme cause it's a mushroom-wine mixture with cheese and parsley oozing out of a garlic-butter coated pastry shell, it's really hard to beat that.

*We will one day get to sweet fillings, but that day is not today. Apple cinnamon with a lighter, flaky dough with more butter and a little cinnamon sugar wash would seem obvious.

Haven't tried it in pastry yet, but I bet Rapini would work well, especially with grilled onions and maybe Italian Sausage if you're doing a meat version

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

BrianBoitano posted:

Just wait until you try actually fresh ginger. You're talking about the grey/brown, slightly dried version yeah? It's green and purple at your farmer's market certain months of the year, and the difference is not as great from pickled -> dried but dried -> fresh is a definite upgrade! Among other things, the skin doesn't need to be peeled.
I don't believe this is real. I just tried googling it for five minutes and found nothing about it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

No Wave posted:

I don't believe this is real. I just tried googling it for five minutes and found nothing about it.

What?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

No Wave posted:

... it took me two seconds to google this successfully

what were you searching for?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

purple and green ginger that doesn't need to be peeled being the fresh version of things you find in stores. I'd like to be wrong here this is something new for me.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 3, 2020

Hauki
May 11, 2010

edit: I just bought a pound of fresh pink ginger yesterday, but it's already been turned into a gallon of ginger beer

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Apparently it's also called young ginger? So it's like ginger that is harvested earlier. That makes sense.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 3, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Enjoy your ginger veal, you loving monsters.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

Apparently it's also called young ginger? So it's like baby ginger.

The entire rhizome is not pink and purple, no, it’s still brown. But very fresh ginger can often avoid needing peeled in part because it hasn’t dried out yet. Tbh I don’t think there’s as big of a difference between the two as the previous poster indicated.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I don't bother peeling my ginger anymore.

By the time it's chopped and cooked you can't even notice.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

toplitzin posted:

I don't bother peeling my ginger anymore.

By the time it's chopped and cooked you can't even notice.

For me it depends on how long I’ve let it sit :v

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
If we're still taking Cook or Die suggestions, maybe sourdough bread?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doom Rooster posted:

Hauki posted:

edit: I just bought a pound of fresh pink ginger yesterday, but it's already been turned into a gallon of ginger beer

Recipe please. I LOVE GB. There’s a brewer near me that does beer with added ginger and it’s phenomenal. Ginger beer added to beer to make a shandy is also delicious.

Doom Rooster posted:

Very good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Recipe please. I LOVE GB. There’s a brewer near me that does beer with added ginger and it’s phenomenal. Ginger beer added to beer to make a shandy is also delicious.

Very good.

(Not op, but) So if by ginger beer you mean the mostly non-alcoholic kind, I always used to make one before I built the carbonation rig.

2L bottle, ginger, yeast, sugar, lemon.

Grate a thumb-sized knob of ginger (peeled, since it’s going in a drink). You can squeeze or strain the juice out, but I always just added it, solids and all, to a clean 2-litre bottle. Add a cup of sugar as a sort of first batch starting point (it makes it pretty sweet), and a little bit of standard yeast (even a half teaspoon should do ‘er). Juice a lemon and add half or all of it. Fill the bottle with water up to the neck, cap it, and shake until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Place it in a warm-ish spot in your kitchen and check it daily by squeezing the bottle. When it feels tight like a standard carbonated soda pop, put it in the fridge until it’s cold, then enjoy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sounds good except, if you like it hot like the serious Reeds, double dat ginger and zest yr lemon too

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Sounds good except, if you like it hot like the serious Reeds, double dat ginger and zest yr lemon too

And put some crushed red pepper in it. The "hot" gingers all seem to have it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doom Rooster posted:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Ya zest goes without saying, though some people get weird when their drinks have texture. I like to eat my oj with a fork. I think thumb ginger is en9ugh th9ugh maybe I have big thumbs idk.

Anyway this is just a base, it lends itself well to adding all sorts of poo poo. Herbs, fruits, spices, etc. Try some fresh turmeric.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

More or less what the other dude above posted, but I stole it from a Jamaican place that uses half a kilo of grated ginger for roughly that same amount of liquid, lime instead of lemon and cracked allspice, mace, maybe a vanilla bean for flavor. I also use boiling water and a glass jug initially. Let it sit for about a week, then strain out the solids. This is the point I’d add yeast & transfer vessels if you want it carbonated, a lot of times I just leave it still and use it more like a mixer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hauki posted:

More or less what the other dude above posted, but I stole it from a Jamaican place that uses half a kilo of grated ginger for roughly that same amount of liquid, lime instead of lemon and cracked allspice, mace, maybe a vanilla bean for flavor. I also use boiling water and a glass jug initially. Let it sit for about a week, then strain out the solids. This is the point I’d add yeast & transfer vessels if you want it carbonated, a lot of times I just leave it still and use it more like a mixer.

That sounds like a great mixer, we have a fizzy water tap that I’d just cut that with.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Strong ginger beer is an excellent mixer. Makes a solid Dark & Stormy with a Caribbean rum, or a surprisingly good cocktail with bourbon or rye.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mediaphage posted:

That sounds like a great mixer, we have a fizzy water tap that I’d just cut that with.

yeah, I'm psyched to have some around again

that's totally what I do with it during the day, plus a slice of lime

also makes a good gin mule at night!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, I thought the Moscow mule was having a bit of a moment because of Better Call Saul, same as the old fashioned got a surge in popularity because of Mad Men.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

i am eating a dish I like to call “goon porridge”

it is a bowl of kraft parmesan cheese, salad croutons, and olive garden italian salad dressing

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I made cassoulet. Or as I like to call it, `French chili'. You know, because of the beans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Pics

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I made cassoulet. Or as I like to call it, `French chili'. You know, because of the beans.

French chilli sandwich.

I want to make ginger beer now. I just need a bottle.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

French chilli sandwich.

I want to make ginger beer now. I just need a bottle.

Growing up, my sister and I used to make sandwiches out of everything. For chili, we’d crunch up saltines until it was thick enough for sandwich filling.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

i did not photograph my shameful dinner

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
One bottle? Make a gal my friend

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

i did not photograph my shameful dinner

Not you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Growing up, my sister and I used to make sandwiches out of everything. For chili, we’d crunch up saltines until it was thick enough for sandwich filling.

One thing I learned at summer camp as a kid, potato chips can be a good addition to some sandwiches.