Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I used to think poorly of YA trash and twee cult shows but honestly by today's standards they are head and shoulders above the majority of popular entertainment

I mean you can argue about whether Dr who or some anime is better but most of what is being consumed is some version of an idiot twenty-something talking into their camera phone for 90 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Deffinetly not what I'm doing, like I have a avatar from a Visual Novel I don't give a poo poo what's cool or not.

The work itself isn't infantalising, Choosing to only consume content like that is an act infantilizing yourself.

Think of it like this, you can go to the gym everyday for decades and never gain an inch of muscle, you need to add weight to become stronger. Likewise you need to constantly challenge yourself mentally with the works you consume otherwise you are stuck in stagnation.

I don't really think this is true at all. Glancing over at my bookshelf the most depressing book on it is, apropos to the conversation yesterday, The Thirty Years War by Peter Wilson.

I've had this conversation before but people tend to assume that "Literature" or "Adult Fiction" or whatever you wanna call it, is all Great Gatsby rich people being sad, or endless ruminations on the meaningless of life. Which can be true of a lot of works, but it's hardly the majority.

If you always retreat into what's comfortable I don't think you'll end up a very happy person at the end of the day.

The biggest issue with your argument is you're making the assumption that fictional media is the only kind of content that exists, and the only way for someone to grow as a person.

Does a psychologist working primarily with traumatic stress disorders in returning soldiers need to go home and read Catch 22 to truly learn 'war is bad actually'? Does a social worker who supports children from low income areas need to go and read The Jungle so they can truly understand how much poverty sucks and how abused the working class truly is?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Butt Detective posted:

I’m nearly 30 and near exclusively watch animated stuff because I’m an artist/animator and I like cartoons :shrug: My adhd plays a part too since live action stuff generally doesn’t hold my attention as well (unless there’s like, an actor I like looking at, or ladies in love in the case of Fried Green Tomatoes). Not to say I absolutely can’t watch it, but I’m more likely to want to do other things at the same time whilst watching so that I’m actually able to pay attention.

As for a PHUO: roast beef/pork sucks

Isn't it supposed to be important for animators to watch how real things move rather than just other cartoons?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

People should be free to read or watch or play anything I like without fear of mockery or shame.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

docbeard posted:

People should be free to read or watch or play anything I like without fear of mockery or shame.

:hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes:

phuo: people who mock other people for their media consumption habits are dinguses

(note, i'm not saying that uncritical media/fiction consumption is always good, and that you shouldn't critique or mock media/fiction - it's just that the mature (:smug:) thing to do is to restrain the critique and mockery to media/fiction itself and not the people who engage with it)

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

sassassin posted:

Isn't it supposed to be important for animators to watch how real things move rather than just other cartoons?

Yeah but I can look at things that aren’t movies/tv shows for that

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Butt Detective posted:

Yeah but I can look at things that aren’t movies/tv shows for that

:colbert:

Ahem, movies and TV shows are the only things.

Oh, and video games.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I recently watched Invincible, an animated show about teenagers and parenthood and the inevitable violence of the grown up world, and I almost teared up at the finale. I don't even have kids or are a space hitler.

Gripweed posted:

Yeah it is limitless, that's kind of the whole thing. It's anything that isn't created to be consumed by children. It can be film noir and rape and adultery, it can also be adventure and sci-fi and horror and romance. Pulp Fiction is a movie for adults, and so is The Shape of Water and Paths of Glory and Fargo and The Royal Tenenbaums and Alien and American Psycho and The Lure and Rocky Horror Picture Show and Goodfellas and Lake Mungo and The Straight Story and on and on and on. "Stuff for grownups" covers literally everything that isn't made primarily to entertain children.

That's why people who dismiss it all as boring look childish.

There's a lot of things children or young adults just can't understand. Goodfellas or American Psycho may seem cool, when actually they are tragedies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Josef bugman posted:

What does "challenging yourself mentally" even mean? How do you see it happening, and at what point do you notice results as it were?

It is exposing yourself to new things, and fiction and entertainment is the easiest way to do it. You see the world as it is seen by others, and have new thoughts and ideas put into your brain.

Captain Monkey posted:

The only way the worker can find joy is by maximizing their profit potential and achieving the ‘adult’ existence something awful poster Gaius Marius has decreed is valid. All other people are joyless shells of human beings.

Yeah just watching Doctor Who forever and clapping like a seal when Dr.Who uses his magic wand to beat the deadly froopaloops is revolutionary anti-capiltalism. You got it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Josef bugman posted:

I've not seen Dr Who since I was about... I want to say 19? But it seemed relatively inoffensive back then. Has it really become so rubbish now?

It's a silly family-friendly show and people who used to like it are pissed because it didn't grow up with them and be all grimdark and edgy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ishikabibble posted:

The biggest issue with your argument is you're making the assumption that fictional media is the only kind of content that exists, and the only way for someone to grow as a person.
We were talking about Fictional content, that's why I'm limiting my arguments to focus on that.

ishikabibble posted:

Does a psychologist working primarily with traumatic stress disorders in returning soldiers need to go home and read Catch 22 to truly learn 'war is bad actually'? Does a social worker who supports children from low income areas need to go and read The Jungle so they can truly understand how much poverty sucks and how abused the working class truly is?
No, but they can use those works to compare and contrast their own lived experience.

Captain Monkey posted:

The only way the worker can find joy is by maximizing their profit potential and achieving the ‘adult’ existence something awful poster Gaius Marius has decreed is valid. All other people are joyless shells of human beings.

I don't understand how you take that from what I said.

It does give me an excuse to repost this tho

Josef bugman posted:

What does "challenging yourself mentally" even mean?
It can mean trying a new Genre, a new Author, rereading a book you put down, trying to deeply analyze a text, basically anything or anyway you can use to expand your mental horizons

Josef bugman posted:

and at what point do you notice results as it were?
Anytime you can mentally connect two disparate works, or use the knowledge or nuance you've learned in one work in another.

It happens all the time, for example I think near everyone would have a different view on justice and forgiveness after reading Crime and Punishment. In extreme cases it can even change your entire outlook on life. I would be a far different person had I not read Faust

Josef bugman posted:

What is literature? What makes it up? Is it the "Western Cannon", is it pulp or any number of other books? Because I can tell you for nothing that I got a whole lot more out of Night Watch then I ever did out of the Epic of Gilgamesh, and not just because my translation was garbo.
Gripweed covered it well, but anything written that isn't primarily aimed at the youth. Or nonfictional.

Gripweed posted:

It is exposing yourself to new things, and fiction and entertainment is the easiest way to do it. You see the world as it is seen by others, and have new thoughts and ideas put into your brain.

<very good>
Yes Gripweed is stealing the words out of my mouth

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Yeah just watching Doctor Who forever and clapping like a seal when Dr.Who uses his magic wand to beat the deadly froopaloops is revolutionary anti-capiltalism. You got it.

You should probably practice the ‘openness to new ideas’ thing you smugly pretend to understand. I’ve never even seen Dr. Who, I just don’t look down on people who enjoy it just because they enjoy it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Here is two things you can do to challenge yourself mentally:

Work out regularly. Don't do it a few times and stop because you don't feel like it. Do it every week at least 2 a week for a year. This is not a physical challenge.

Read a book that feels hard to read, like you struggle to stay with it. For me some examples are Trainspotting in english (not my native language) and the Silmarillion (also in english, much easier to parse tho).

I got more tips if you need them.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Gripweed posted:

you seem to really not like people and also dr who for some reason. might i ask why is that?

Gaius Marius posted:

It happens all the time, for example I think near everyone would have a different view on justice and forgiveness after reading Crime and Punishment.

i mean, Crime and Punishment is probably the closest Dostoevsky got to writing a YA novel. so, lol

nurmie has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jun 20, 2021

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have found that the depth of the fiction a person consumes doesn’t correlate with their depth of personality

doverhog
May 31, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

I have found that the depth of the fiction a person consumes doesn’t correlate with their depth of personality

Let's go back to first principles so we can really talk about this, what is "depth of personality"? ;)

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Blue Moonlight posted:

:colbert:

Ahem, movies and TV shows are the only things.

Oh, and video games.

I mean, I was definitely studying Jason Momoa’s anatomy in Aquaman :heysexy:

I actually was lol, I like drawing buff dudes but muscles are tricky

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Lol maybe he should Grip some Weed and calm down about the media other people consume. Amirite

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

doverhog posted:

Work out regularly. Don't do it a few times and stop because you don't feel like it. Do it every week at least 2 a week for a year. This is not a physical challenge.

Getting people under a barbell is the best medicine for depression on the world. I don't understand why people won't do it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I lot of YA stuff isn't for me, but the only issue I have is when it leaks into everything else. If you're out there comparing fatherly neolibs to Dumbledore and mean neolibs to Voldemort or whatever, I will wonder if you're applying the best critical apparatus available to you to the world. Maybe it's because YA has a lot of blank-slate and Mary Sue characters for reader identification (which is fine, is a feature, not a bug of that mode), but its off putting when everything is filtered through the lens of fandom and consumption.

Otherwise, we all like dumb poo poo and need comfort and distraction where we can find it, it's not a big deal. I read pretty heavy literary fiction and also take the plot of the Resident Evil games more seriously than anyone at Capcom ever did. I need both at different times.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Disco Pope posted:

I lot of YA stuff isn't for me, but the only issue I have is when it leaks into everything else. If you're out there comparing fatherly neolibs to Dumbledore and mean neolibs to Voldemort or whatever, I will wonder if you're applying the best critical apparatus available to you to the world.

People making comparisons to the fiction they understand isn’t the awful, cringeworthy sign of being vapid that people online make it out to be

Phuo: people who unironically call people they don’t like “neoliberals” would be better served just calling them “capitalists” instead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Captain Monkey posted:

You should probably practice the ‘openness to new ideas’ thing you smugly pretend to understand. I’ve never even seen Dr. Who, I just don’t look down on people who enjoy it just because they enjoy it.

Oh I understand the issue then. If you had seen Doctor Who you would understand.

And to be clear, I don't look down on those people. I know people are complex and a single aspect like being an adult who likes Doctor Who or making GBS threads yourself at a job interview doesn't make you a bad or dumb person. But they are both quite embarassing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Josef bugman posted:

I've not seen Dr Who since I was about... I want to say 19? But it seemed relatively inoffensive back then. Has it really become so rubbish now?

The last two seasons (+ specials) from the new showrunner have been pretty bad but really it's just the kind of show that some people like to performatively poo poo on

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

doverhog posted:

Here is two things you can do to challenge yourself mentally:

Read a book that feels hard to read, like you struggle to stay with it. For me some examples are Trainspotting in english (not my native language) and the Silmarillion (also in english, much easier to parse tho).

How does that "challenge you". I read the loving Kalevela recently and it's only challenge is to not want to jab a fork in my leg. So many books are like this that I have been reading. The epic of Gilgamesh, The Shahnameh etc. So many of them are so so boring. They are things that inform a lot of things I find really interesting, but I go back to the source of them and find them dull as hell.

Gaius Marius posted:

No, but they can use those works to compare and contrast their own lived experience.

The obvious takeaway may end up being "this is dumb as gently caress" though. Especially if it disagrees strongly with the personal lived experience.

Gaius Marius posted:

It can mean trying a new Genre, a new Author, rereading a book you put down, trying to deeply analyze a text, basically anything or anyway you can use to expand your mental horizons

Anytime you can mentally connect two disparate works, or use the knowledge or nuance you've learned in one work in another.

It happens all the time, for example I think near everyone would have a different view on justice and forgiveness after reading Crime and Punishment. In extreme cases it can even change your entire outlook on life. I would be a far different person had I not read Faust

How in the name of God do you expect people to be able to "deeply analyse" a text from just reading it? You need to know the context around it, the time period, the jokes etc. So much more stuff needs to be understood and the problem is that our own ability to retain and know that information is always going to be limited and, unfortunately, open to dispute.

I assume you mean the Geothe version and not, say, Marlowe? Because if I can have a popular opinion for once "Do not read plays" would be right up there. Plays need to be performed to be appreciated.

Sweevo posted:

It's a silly family-friendly show and people who used to like it are pissed because it didn't grow up with them and be all grimdark and edgy

Fair enough. Seems about what I anticipated, thank you!

Gripweed posted:

We don't truly see the world how others do though, do we? Our point of view is always going to be ours despite of how much it is informed by other people.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It was pretty annoying if you were american in the right time, where the twee anglophilia reigned on high. Look at the funny hot english man in a bowtie, and yes the only reason he is sexy or funny is his accent!

e: it being Doctor Who

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Jun 21, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

We don't truly see the world how others do though, do we? Our point of view is always going to be ours despite of how much it is informed by other people.

Yes, exactly, but fiction is the closest we can get. The things they choose to present or not present, the conflicts, the characters, the descriptions and ideas and everything, it's all stuff someone else thought was important or cool or scary or fun. In the best cases it's actually putting new ideas in your head, or letting you feel something you haven't felt before, you can think someone else's thoughts and feel other people's emotions!

Cast your net wide and swim through a sea of other people's mixed metaphors!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

How does that "challenge you". I read the loving Kalevela recently and it's only challenge is to not want to jab a fork in my leg. So many books are like this that I have been reading. The epic of Gilgamesh, The Shahnameh etc. So many of them are so so boring. They are things that inform a lot of things I find really interesting, but I go back to the source of them and find them dull as hell.

I didn't say read the Kalevala, any more than I said read the Bible. Both are source material for the Silmarillion, which I understood you have not read? What about Lord of the Rings? Which you definitely should read, not watch, first.

Also Trainspotting is a whole 'nother path to take.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It was pretty annoying if you were american in the right time, where the twee anglophilia reigned on high. Look at the funny hot english man in a bowtie, and yes the only reason he is sexy or funny is his accent!

e: it being Doctor Who

gently caress bendidtc cumebrerbund

Josef bugman posted:

I assume you mean the Geothe version and not, say, Marlowe? Because if I can have a popular opinion for once "Do not read plays" would be right up there. Plays need to be performed to be appreciated.
Putting this in a separate post so you understand the importance, If you've been avoiding Goethe's Faust because it's written as a play then cut that poo poo out!

Goethe had zero intention of it being performed in full! It would be impossible! While in affectation it's a play, Faust in full is the culmination of one mans entire life surmised. He wrote it for decades, almost no other work of art can compare to it. It's a work I can call truly beautiful. It made me rethink every action I've ever taken to that point and change my entire course of action. I reread it every month or so, I cannot put this strongly enough READ FAUST

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I mean you don't have to read things you don't like just cause some cat says it's important. Like I think the Illiad is lit AF but I'm sure there's those who find it a snooze, but only reading books for children is a goofy way to solve your problem

Josef bugman posted:

How in the name of God do you expect people to be able to "deeply analyse" a text from just reading it? You need to know the context around it, the time period, the jokes etc. So much more stuff needs to be understood and the problem is that our own ability to retain and know that information is always going to be limited and, unfortunately, open to dispute.
All information is open to dispute. You should always strive to use the means given to you to understand a work to the best of your abilities.

Josef bugman posted:

Of course, but that doesn't mean it isn't important to regard other's experience. Every piece of information is less then the totality of the reality, being fragmentary doesn't mean we can't learn from it. Just as the Archeologist learns from the shards of pottery they find

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

I didn't say read the Kalevala, any more than I said read the Bible. Both are source material for the Silmarillion, which I understood you have not read? What about Lord of the Rings? Which you definitely should read, not watch, first.

Lord of the Rings is good but I don't know if it's a must-read. I like Gotrex and Felix better.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Lord of the Rings is good but I don't know if it's a must-read. I like Gotrex and Felix better.

I'm guessing you are not reading the Silmarillion either?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I read the Silmarillion. It was okay. Feanor was cool

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

I'm guessing you are not reading the Silmarillion either?

lmao no way

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

LMFAO and Black Eyed Peas are good bands gently caress you if you disagree

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

I read the Silmarillion. It was okay. Feanor was cool

Nooo, he was like the worst. Curse of Feanor, the kinslaying; making the Silmarils and inventing the alphabet don't redeem you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If alphabet doesn't exist how do I read Silmarillion? Checkmate atheists.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Gaius Marius posted:

Goethe had zero intention of it being performed in full! It would be impossible! While in affectation it's a play, Faust in full is the culmination of one mans entire life surmised. He wrote it for decades, almost no other work of art can compare to it. It's a work I can call truly beautiful. It made me rethink every action I've ever taken to that point and change my entire course of action. I reread it every month or so, I cannot put this strongly enough READ FAUST

drat, never considered reading this before but you sold me on it

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If you don’t read serious literature like ‘what if a man turned into a big bug’ or ‘a bunch of Greeks get drunk on a boat and gently caress their way through a magical world’ then you just aren’t good enough for some forums posters.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

‘a bunch of Greeks get drunk on a boat and gently caress their way through a magical world’

Tbf, that's a good story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I loathe the idea that art is just something old dead boring people did. Every time I eat rear end, that is art.