Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

By "Daily Driver" I mean "uses it at home voluntarily because they really want to"

I thought you meant the kind of fanatic that uses daily builds for their hardware drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Cuntpunch posted:

We have a developer who will often check things in with just 'phase 1 comp' and then there's 25 unrelated files across 3 different stories of work. And pretty much never a phase 2.

Make it a policy that every checkin has to reference a case (or user story, or whatever) - that's what the place I work at does and it works really well. (and make sure people understand that it's frowned on to make a checkin that combines what should be independent pieces of work.)

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Munkeymon posted:

By "Daily Driver" I mean "uses it at home voluntarily because they really want to"

Roughly half of the developers at my office use linux as a daily driver (myself included), I've definitely noticed that there's way more weirdos among the linux half. I don't really have any philosophical reasons for using linux, it's just that everything I really want from an OS is so god drat complicated on windows :v:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Bognar posted:

I see "wip" as a commit message way more than I want to.

Just Add a precommit hook if you can on Git - We have precommit hooks on SVN meaning we have to have specific information in a specific format in the commit message or it is rejected.

JiraNumber: Message

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

TheresaJayne posted:

Just Add a precommit hook if you can on Git - We have precommit hooks on SVN meaning we have to have specific information in a specific format in the commit message or it is rejected.

JiraNumber: Message

If you run your own central git server you can do this, but github doesn't allow it. You can setup build/lint hooks for PRs, which works just as well (you can prevent merging if checks don't pass).

You could also require devs to install provided hooks to their local clone, but thats harder to enforce.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Subjunctive posted:

"Reverted accidental changes" is your next move. If she'd meant them to be part of the mainline, she'd have documented them.

It's a dude. Now I'm really wondering if I said something to imply that it's a woman, or if this is just some thread convention that I don't know about.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

chippy posted:

It's a dude. Now I'm really wondering if I said something to imply that it's a woman, or if this is just some thread convention that I don't know about.

Probably just trying to avoid assuming everyone is male unless told otherwise. Using "she" for unknown referents is pretty common in some circles.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Bad developers don't really deserve to be considered people, so when talking about a bad developer, you should call them "it."

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

sarehu posted:

Bad developers don't really deserve to be considered people, so when talking about a bad developer, you should call them "it."

"that thing"

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Do planning horrors count? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3748466&perpage=40&pagenumber=1947#post456332755

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:roflolmao: Who the gently caress reads this and doesn't see a forest of red flags

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

sarehu posted:

Same but everyone who has ever touched a computer

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Not sure what the horror is, given the nature of game dev. Even big organized shops like Blizzard constantly pull people from other teams when priorities shift. Hell, Valve does not even use top-down planning at all.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Beef posted:

Not sure what the horror is, given the nature of game dev. Even big organized shops like Blizzard constantly pull people from other teams when priorities shift. Hell, Valve does not even use top-down planning at all.

I think this requires some context: CIG is currently developing a game which has been delayed for 2 years, and from all the interviews they've done, it's very clear that they have no clue how the most basic and fundamental systems of the game will work. They always have very detailed and specific answers to less important questions, such as "Will I be able to pick flowers on planets", but to questions about core gameplay, the usual answer is "we're still working out the details on that". Also, in addition to the release delay, there have been several other broken promises along the way, and at this point, it's looking very unlikely that CIG will ever be able to deliver anything close to what they're promising.

You can read the Star Citizen thread for even more context, including details about :
The CEO's wife, who also happens to be a mo-cap actress in the game, the VP of marketing, a marine biologist and many other amazing things
The current state of the game (basically an extremly buggy Crysis mod)
The fact that they're no longer giving out refunds because they say that a significant portion of the game is already playable

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Beef posted:

Every hour, though?

Also, yes, Valve, the company currently with a heavy public eye on it for it's inability to actually finish anything and/or stop halfassing things, or Blizzard who's working environment was one of the lowest rated of the largest companies with "conditions akin to working in a sweatshop". Not really good targets to aim towards.

I hope Blizzard has gotten better lately since Overwatch and Hearthstone seem like love-efforts rather than just an infinite grind to try and make WoW content though :(

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Beef posted:

I am not a game dev, but whenever I start programming, it takes a while to get into the zone. If I have to change my mindset hourly then poo poo ain't getting done.

But the gaming dev world may be different :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

Probably just trying to avoid assuming everyone is male unless told otherwise. Using "she" for unknown referents is pretty common in some circles.

Yeah, I just pick randomly to try and make myself assume less often, chip away at that bias.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Beef posted:

Well I think it's better to let people finish their piece of code they are working on. And not swap things around every day/couple hours. I mean this is a product/game which has a a development span of several years. Not a "simple" mobile game.
Sure swapping people around can naturally happen, but I think it's desireable to not be the normal day-to-day thing.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
It said priorities change hourly, not that people are reassigned hourly. That said, priorities shifting that fast does suggest some substantial micromanagement is going on.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
code:
// If performance is not good Change logic
WISDOM

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I just pick randomly to try and make myself assume less often, chip away at that bias.

I do the same, for the same reason. It's also funny how often it trips other people up.

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Thermopyle posted:

I do the same, for the same reason. It's also funny how often it trips other people up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thermopyle posted:

This is in our documentation style guide (pick a gender at the beginning of the document and stick with it throughout). You should have heard the screaming when I used "she" in one of the database admin guides. I got so many emails along the lines of "there's no female database admins *LOUD SOUND OF SNAPPING SUSPENDERS IN BACKGROUND*". It's like, dude, I am a woman and I wrote that document. You had to read it to have any idea wtf you were even doing with that database. Reflect a little :).

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

Subjunctive posted:

Thermopyle posted:

Fair enough, I just use the singular 'they' as Bognar posted.

In this context it did run a bit counter to its intentions, I'm so used to seeing 'he' as a default, especially in a (statistically speaking) male dominated profession that it almost seemed a little bit like Subjunctive was assuming the developer was female because they did something dumb.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
We have gendered user personas, so for one feature the person using the feature is "she" because her name is Cassie whereas for other features it's "he" because it's Ike.

But I think personas are silly so from my perspective this is just another argument for singular "they".

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Considering women have been shown to be better at programming than men, you should use "he" when discussing bad programmers.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, but that defeats the purpose of occasionally using "she" instead of "he". I mean, "he" gets used all the time when "they" would be more appropriate.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

kloa posted:

I am not a game dev, but whenever I start programming, it takes a while to get into the zone. If I have to change my mindset hourly then poo poo ain't getting done.

But the gaming dev world may be different :shrug:

If you like programming, never become anything resembling a tech lead.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Illegal Move posted:

I think this requires some context: CIG is currently developing a game which has been delayed for 2 years, and from all the interviews they've done, it's very clear that they have no clue how the most basic and fundamental systems of the game will work. They always have very detailed and specific answers to less important questions, such as "Will I be able to pick flowers on planets", but to questions about core gameplay, the usual answer is "we're still working out the details on that". Also, in addition to the release delay, there have been several other broken promises along the way, and at this point, it's looking very unlikely that CIG will ever be able to deliver anything close to what they're promising.

You can read the Star Citizen thread for even more context, including details about :
The CEO's wife, who also happens to be a mo-cap actress in the game, the VP of marketing, a marine biologist and many other amazing things
The current state of the game (basically an extremly buggy Crysis mod)
The fact that they're no longer giving out refunds because they say that a significant portion of the game is already playable

So basically, it's the 2016 equivalent of Dawn? The game that promised players could impregnate each other, give birth (or have abortions), and fling babies/fetuses out of catapults?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Ithaqua posted:

So basically, it's the 2016 equivalent of Dawn? The game that promised players could impregnate each other, give birth (or have abortions), and fling babies/fetuses out of catapults?

Except CIG has made over $100m from suckers. But yes.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, but that defeats the purpose of occasionally using "she" instead of "he". I mean, "he" gets used all the time when "they" would be more appropriate.

Xir

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

HFX posted:

This is happening to me. I spend less than half my day programming and it sucks!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HFX posted:

My boss is the lead for our application within the company. During an especially protracted round of contracting with a major prospective customer (which we eventually landed), it wasn't unusual for him to be here until midnight on Saturdays at times. He said pretty often that he didn't even mind being here on weekends, he just wished it was to program and not to "add sufficiently aspirational language to the goals section of the contract".

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HFX posted:

http://www.paulgraham.com/makersschedule.html

Tech lead is the uneasy combination of both schedules, but it's a generally necessary step in the chain if you are an engineer with managerial or high-level architect aspirations. It can also offer some of the most variety and freedom of any position on the org chart, being able to eschew meetings to meet product deadlines, take a coding break for a week to get better perspective, and claim as much power and control as you have the guts to claim.

A tech lead can be a senior developer that goes to more meetings, or a tech lead can be a powerful force driving the organization and project forward by acting as the cornerstone of interaction between a dev team and the outside world. A tech lead can be part product owner, part scrum master, part manager, part developer, part architect, part tester, and really just about anything. At the same time, tech leads aren't expected to be the most political people, and people don't look down on them when they go into technical detail of implementation as a thought exercise to prove out product requirements.

I miss being a tech lead.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
You should use "he" if you have an 80-character column limit, but it's okay to use "they" if you have something wider like 100 or no limit. "she" is fine if it's 90 characters, and it's okay to pick randomly with up to a 10n% chance of "she" and a (100-10n)% chance of "he" in the case of an 80 + n character limit, for n between 1 and 9.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I pity the fool who continues to limit themselves to 80 character wide terminals. You got like 1920 pixels in width, expand your world, man! person!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The wise thing to do is to have no line limit and let the lines wrap where they may. Don't hard-wrap your comments. Just get used to it. And do the wrapping on the character boundary. We already hyphenate words in books, so there's no reason it should be a problem.

Edit: And, unrelated:

From Don't Alienate Open Source Contributors:

quote:

I applied the necessary patches and submitted the package to CRAN for approval. Within a few hours of submitting the patch, I received the following response from one of the CRAN maintainers:

"You were asked to correct this in 2013, failed to even reply, and it has been archived. Please explain your inaction and lack of the most basic manners."

sarehu fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 16, 2016

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

sarehu posted:

The wise thing to do is to have no line limit and let the lines wrap where they may. Don't hard-wrap your comments. Just get used to it. And do the wrapping on the character boundary. We already hyphenate words in books, so there's no reason it should be a problem.

Edit: And, unrelated:

From Don't Alienate Open Source Contributors:

There's something rotten in the R community: http://ironholds.org/blog/down-and-out-in-statistical-computing/

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cripes. If I had a project with a variable named "iGiveHead", unintentional or no, I would have merged that patch as priority #1 just so I could stop cringing. Not, y'know, banned the person who submitted the patch. :stare:

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Cripes. If I had a project with a variable named "iGiveHead", unintentional or no, I would have merged that patch as priority #1 just so I could stop cringing. Not, y'know, banned the person who submitted the patch. :stare:

I'm curious how the variable name came about, since it was apparently unintentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Your "exclusionary as all hell" source code, people.
https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/b156e3a711967f58131e23c1b1dc1ea90e2f0c43/src/library/utils/R/str.R#L57

The dude that submitted the issue is this guy.