Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Any advice for One Piece Pirate Warriors 4? I've played Age of Calamity and Persona Strikers but I understand that they're less... Warriors-y than regular Warriors games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Brutakas posted:

Any tips for Styx: Shards of Darkness?
Advice for the first one still applies. If you haven't played that, the number one rule is not to be seen; combat is not an option. And I guess learn to get creative with your clones, they let you handle a lot of impossible-seeming situations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just got Hades for PS4. Anything new/different than what’s on the wiki page?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

1redflag posted:

Just got Hades for PS4. Anything new/different than what’s on the wiki page?

It's pretty much right, but I wouldn't say spear is the best weapon, the best weapon is whatever your favourite is. Also the advice about not taking rooms with gems/darkness/nectar etc is useless because the game will essentially never offer you a choice between meta-currency and in-run currency, also it's wrong anyway since there's nothing wrong with prioritising meta progression over individual run strength.

I think I'm the one who added the advice about not taking the alternate exits unlock too early, but having been playing a new ps5 save file myself I am pleased to report that they have fixed it at some point so it's less tempting to buy it early.

Anyway basically game is good and you can't go wrong! Enjoy!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Organza Quiz posted:

It's pretty much right, but I wouldn't say spear is the best weapon, the best weapon is whatever your favourite is. Also the advice about not taking rooms with gems/darkness/nectar etc is useless because the game will essentially never offer you a choice between meta-currency and in-run currency, also it's wrong anyway since there's nothing wrong with prioritising meta progression over individual run strength.

I think I'm the one who added the advice about not taking the alternate exits unlock too early, but having been playing a new ps5 save file myself I am pleased to report that they have fixed it at some point so it's less tempting to buy it early.

Anyway basically game is good and you can't go wrong! Enjoy!

When I played it last year, I certainly got stung by buying the alternative exit unlock, and then reaching the Credits/HuzzahYou'veActuallyDoneTheThing without being able to actually use them. Partially because I'm a chronic weapon switcher, admittedly.

But yeah, the Hades advice is mostly solid but if it sounds like an opinion, it probably is.

Like I'd be tempted to add

- Casts seem kind of awkward and bad, but get significantly more useful with a boon or two in them, especially if you upgrade your crystal number with the meta-progression.
- Some projectiles can be destroyed by attacks.
- You can do it! There's lots of ways to be good at Hades, so take a deep breath, try and laugh when you get owned and experiment.
- There is God Mode which boosts your defence the more you die. No shame in using it if you feel you want to or need to. You can turn it off without resetting the number so if you want to use it, then try without you aren't wasting anything.

But I don't know how applicable or useful those are.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
RE: Hades

The Shield is a great learning weapon because you're invulnerable from the front when you are holding down the attack button. You can rotate yourself around during this if the enemy moves. By doing this, you can learn how enemies attack and pick up on their patterns quicker than by mashing buttons and getting hit.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
You can also just do what true Gs do and dash literally nonstop all over the god damned place

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Greatest Reflex is the best Hermes skill. Zipping around dashing half a dozen times is sick.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I'm only a bit in so far but Deathloop:

Rush through your first few objectives - you'll be able to explore later, but you should wait until you've unlocked infusion to start taking your time. This is also when multiplayer is unlocked.

There's no real need to go non-lethal, and in fact isn't really a way to do that. Stealth is helpful but you're not going to be knocking people out (at least for a while)

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've updated the Hades page to remove some of the tips mentioned above that were basically opinions.

Thanks all.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

One thing to add for Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus

For the containers that say Scan or Destroy you can do both (scanning first obviously). Get the contents and then destroy it for -2 Awakening points. This can reduce the meter to a previous tier and can allow for you to finish missions with little-to-no awakening progress.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Any advice for Infested Planet?

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

Any advice for Infested Planet?

It takes no time for a soldier to switch class, and you are expected to take advantage of it.

Related to above, the flamethrower has the fastest move speed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For Tales of Arise

Shionne has a lot of artes related to poisoning and other status effects. They are all arial artes and none of her ground artes launch her in the air to use them and she won't jump on her own, so if she is ai controlled she will never, ever use them unless you manually command her to do so. I mention this because you may be tempted to invest her skill points into boosting her power with these skills or buying more of them, but unless you are controlling/manually making her use them they are dead points.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Minor thing for Deathloop that seemed like a bit of a nuisance gotcha to me;

When you get to unlocking Infusion and have to enter a chamber to unlock it, you don't get your current loadout for free, you only get your active gun. If you've picked up something fancy in that Loop, make sure you've got it held as you enter.

For a suggestion of a way to get a great gun in the same Loop; Go take out Harriet in the Morning, she has a heavy handgun that discharges gas clouds on impact that is insanely good for group kills and turns near-misses into fatal hits. It'll also make dealing with setting up Infusion much easier.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
Bbcxsvgahgfyejdfkfhhhbjnhgkcjtttyynxfgrhh

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

that's more of an opinion, not sure it belongs on the wiki

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Standingstoic posted:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Plus it only applies to the unpatched version, and who is even running that in 2021?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Standingstoic posted:

This actually helped me. Thanks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anything for Encased?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

For Deathloop, the general rule is that if you can't find a code for a safe or puzzle in the immediate vicinity, leave and come back when the quest indicators tell you to. This especially applies to the puzzles to get people in the same room together, you'll be pulling hints from all over the timeline, and there are some puzzles that *look* like the solution is diagramed out for you in the room but it's just a red herring.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 17, 2021

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

For Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, should I be sticking to upgrading a small selection of specific weapons or is the upgrade stuff plentiful enough that I can pretty much upgrade everything without shooting myself in the foot?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Organza Quiz posted:

For Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, should I be sticking to upgrading a small selection of specific weapons or is the upgrade stuff plentiful enough that I can pretty much upgrade everything without shooting myself in the foot?

Can't really shoot yourself in the foot. If you beeline the story there won't be enough to buy and upgrade everything fully but it's really up to you what you want to use. I recommend at least a few upgrades in everything so you can get a better sense of each one's potential, especially spreading the points out into some different weapon types (crowd control/status guns, drones, low damage high ammo, high damage low ammo, etc.) but you'll have favourites that you will want to beef up and that's totally cool.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Barudak posted:

For Tales of Arise

Shionne has a lot of artes related to poisoning and other status effects. They are all arial artes and none of her ground artes launch her in the air to use them and she won't jump on her own, so if she is ai controlled she will never, ever use them unless you manually command her to do so. I mention this because you may be tempted to invest her skill points into boosting her power with these skills or buying more of them, but unless you are controlling/manually making her use them they are dead points.

Good tip, thanks.

Have you experiemented at all with controlling Shionne or Rinwell during combat? I've mainly just stuck to Alphen but this sewer monster is incredibly hard and it just doesn't seem to be working this time. The AI is so bad at keeping themselves out of danger, I'll be focused on doing some damage and all the sudden they both got one-shotted somehow. Maybe I am underleveled but I'm curious if I'd have better results controlling one of the lady characters?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Play posted:

Good tip, thanks.

Have you experiemented at all with controlling Shionne or Rinwell during combat? I've mainly just stuck to Alphen but this sewer monster is incredibly hard and it just doesn't seem to be working this time. The AI is so bad at keeping themselves out of danger, I'll be focused on doing some damage and all the sudden they both got one-shotted somehow. Maybe I am underleveled but I'm curious if I'd have better results controlling one of the lady characters?

Eh it's just as likely Alphen will be running into hits. The AI just....isn't great, especially against bosses. They'll dodge sometimes, but more often than not just get their face smooshed. Try levelling up a little bit, or just reduce the difficulty for that one fight.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Eh it's just as likely Alphen will be running into hits. The AI just....isn't great, especially against bosses. They'll dodge sometimes, but more often than not just get their face smooshed. Try levelling up a little bit, or just reduce the difficulty for that one fight.

Yeah, that just feels like losing sometimes though. I don't wanna do it. But I also don't wanna use up all my reviving/healing items on some stupid sludgy piece of poo poo. I'll have a couple more goes and if it doesn't work I'll just turn the difficulty down and level for a bit before the next boss so I can keep the normal diff

Are the other characters any fun to play as, anyways? Seems like Alphen is probably overall the best fit for the player character

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Play posted:

Are the other characters any fun to play as, anyways? Seems like Alphen is probably overall the best fit for the player character

Law is snappy like Jude in Xilia and once you punch enough with him he gets boost auras that make him punch harder and faster until you eat poo poo

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Play posted:

Good tip, thanks.

If you're playing on Hard, just turn the difficulty down for that fight and turn it back up afterwards. It's the last boss fight before you have a full 4 person group, and the combat really is built around the assumption that you have 4 people's worth of attacks. Plus that boss' adds are complete horseshit. Playing as Shionne and Rinwell works fine, though if you play Shionne you have to heal which isn't everybody's cup of tea and Rinwell doesn't really take off until a bit later but she's perfectly viable if that's your jam.

If you really want to tough it out on hard though, grind for levels and prune the Artes that your other characters have turned on. Fire is obviously effective against that boss, so I'd probably cut Shionne down to just fire and healing artes. Rinwell doesn't have any fire yet, so her thunder one is probably her best bet if you've picked that up.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Organza Quiz posted:

You can’t upgrade all weapons completely, unless you spend ages grinding (or do New Game +). You can, however, upgrade all your favourite and semi-favourite weapons, and have plenty of resources to spare. Use whatever’s fun.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Deathloop - You don't need a copy of a Slab equipped in order to get upgrades for it to drop, and you don't need to have infused it either; you just need to have picked it up once. This means that even if a given Slab doesn't appeal to you, at least pick it up (and then pick your old one back up) so that on subsequent kills you can still get the upgrades, which you can infuse or sacrifice as you wish.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Another Deathloop

Don't bother infusing the double jump. You can consume it at the end of each round for an extra chunk of change and it will come back automatically at the start of each round.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here's something for Dishonored 2:
- There are two named NPCs that use bonecharms. If you have the Shadow Kill (passive) power you'll need to knock them out first. Otherwise their body will disappear, alongside the lootable bonecharms. There also a sleeping Overseer in the Dust District who will carry a key, which will vanish if Shadow Kill goes in effect before you loot it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
With more than 200 rounds played and a ~20% winrate at the highest ascension level, I think I'm probably at least moderately qualified to give a few tips for Luck Be A Landlord.
- Let go of your need to win every game. Because of the short per-game playtime, LBAL is much more luck-dependent than most deckbuilders. You can play perfectly and make all the right choices and still occasionally get screwed by unlucky drops and spins.
- The best early picks are ones that fit into a variety of builds, or just give you the best raw income on their own or with Common food. Getting or not getting the right items can easily make or break builds you try to force too early.
- Close behind in viability is Shiny Pebbles and Rabbit Fluff, their drop rate bonuses add up fast, and help enable builds you might not otherwise be able to pull off.
- Symbols that eat other symbols for a flat reward (Dwarves, Toddlers, etc.) are great early-game cash injectors but don't scale well without the right items and support. The rarer ones that do so for a permanent +1 bonus (Diver, Ms. Fruit, etc.) are better long-term, but only really pay off if you have a consistent way to generate food for them.
- At time of this writing, ores/mining/gems has been the hands-down best and most consistent strategy for several releases.
- If you beat Floor 1 six times, or Floor 6 once, you unlock Essences, which immediately makes the game significantly easier. Using them well is critical to succeeding at the higher Floors.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 21, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In the video game The Oregon Trail, only buy bullets at the start and travel at the fastest speed.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

In the video game The Oregon Trail, only buy bullets at the start and travel at the fastest speed.

You have shot 300 lbs of meat. You were able to carry 10 lbs of meat back to the wagon. The meat has spoiled.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Law is snappy like Jude in Xilia and once you punch enough with him he gets boost auras that make him punch harder and faster until you eat poo poo

I assume I'm about to add him to the party after I save daddy. But he sounds fun to play as, I like the sound of that.

Zaodai posted:

If you're playing on Hard, just turn the difficulty down for that fight and turn it back up afterwards. It's the last boss fight before you have a full 4 person group, and the combat really is built around the assumption that you have 4 people's worth of attacks. Plus that boss' adds are complete horseshit. Playing as Shionne and Rinwell works fine, though if you play Shionne you have to heal which isn't everybody's cup of tea and Rinwell doesn't really take off until a bit later but she's perfectly viable if that's your jam.

If you really want to tough it out on hard though, grind for levels and prune the Artes that your other characters have turned on. Fire is obviously effective against that boss, so I'd probably cut Shionne down to just fire and healing artes. Rinwell doesn't have any fire yet, so her thunder one is probably her best bet if you've picked that up.

Nah I think you're right, probably just put it down to normal and it won't be a huge issue. I'm not willing to grind, screw that and the random monsters on the map seem to provide very little XP anyways.

The boss itself is totally doable but when it summons a swarm of those little magic using blobs it seems completely impossible, those fuckers can target you from anywhere and you can't stop all their artes.

As for pruning artes, how is that done? I've seen the menu where you set aggression and healing settings but I haven't seen where you can decide which artes your AI companions will use.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Play posted:

As for pruning artes, how is that done? I've seen the menu where you set aggression and healing settings but I haven't seen where you can decide which artes your AI companions will use.

If you go into the Artes menu and shoulder-button your way to other party members that you don't control, you should see a list of checkboxes. You can select the ones you don't want the party members to use, to untick them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In Project Zomboid, basically your first time playing your gonna die so just try to stay alive. The key to having a good start is finding a car with gas, looting the school for a backpack/finding a large hiking pack zombie on the highway, looting the grocery store non refrigerated foods(you will come back for the frozen foods later), finding a house for your base, clearing and sealing your house, and putting all the food in the refrigerator.

Also only play the iwillbackupmysave beta branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous

TL;DR
- The game was released in September 2021, and will be likely be getting regular patches and fixes for upwards of a year.
- The difficulty mode ranges from story to unfair, and there are custom options, sliders, and drop down menus to adjust the difficulty parameters individually
- The cleric in base sells scrolls of atonement. Alignment is weird in that when at the extreme edges, good/evil will push you along the boundary to the top center or bottom center, so someone Lawful Good taking many good options would find themselves shifted to neutral good in a matter of time
- Lore Religion is important for the resting mechanic, Perception is highly important for everything. In general you want a skill balanced party.
- Make back-up saves
- Most everything in the game has some type of damage resistance, spell resistance, and energy resistance/immunities. Look for abilities and consumables that can bypass DR, have casters take spell penetration feats, and Ascendant Elements will ignore it entirely.
- For weapon enchantments, +3 will count as cold iron to bypass DR, +4 as adamantine, and +5 will bypass aligned DR (good/evil). This doesn't apply to regeneration.
- When facing tough enemies read their stat sheet to see if they have immunities to spell types. Something immune to death spells will ignore Finger of Death for example.
- Metamagic and consumables can make challenging fights easy. Use all the tools and tricks at your disposal when hitting a wall.

Character Creation
- There's some reactivity for your race and deity worshiped
- Some Mythic paths favor certain builds, but all have feats and abilities to work with any class
- Any single class build should be sufficient for normal or below.
- Pets are incredibly powerful, and you can also get them from creative use of mythic abilities or class dips.
- Prestige classes sound amazing but aren't generally better then base classes
- You get several free respecs from Hilor at base.

General/Adventuring
- The game rushes you along but is very generous with any consequence timers. The exception is Act 1, where some things will play out differently if you take a few days to get to them
- Companion quests aren't timed but a good idea to do when you get them for the rewards
- Each chapter will telegraph its end and ask if you are ready, and you'll get one more chance to decline
- Mythic paths need to be unlocked to be available. 5(Angel, Demon, Trickster, Aeon, Azata) are available in act 1, Lich is available in Act 2, and the last 4 are late game decisions requiring a bit more effort in Act 2 and on.
- You can't complete Heart of Mystery or Nenio's personal quest until Act 5.
- Crafting in the game is useful, especially with making high CL scrolls of break enchantment, remove curse, etc.
- When Storyteller disappears in Act 3, he can be found by following the Dragon quest.

Leveling Up and Advancement
- Outflank is great on any melee companions
- Dazzling Display is required for Shatter Defenses, a great combat feat if you have the ability to make enemies shaken (Dirge Bard)
- Taking class dips should be planned out for what you gain vs lose. Blind experimenting is not recommended.
- Long term, casters need: spell penetration feats, ascendant elements if doing elemental damage, anything that increases CL of their primary spells, and feats that boost ray abilities
- Depending on your build, some spells become more or less important. Someone who does not bother to take relevant feats has no use for rays, spells from your prohibited school as a wizard are likely not worth two slots. An arcane bloodline/sage sorcerer who focuses on Illusion can make Phantasmal killer/Weird work consistently on harder difficulties. Play to the characters strengths.
- A list of suggested spells
https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQ9E5MuuAAfqO8Ncfkq4wQnQYx5-_8EpHUDpgL-Qz1Dhe5FAFeAOFi9EFxc-3001V2F7U93vNexhEmO/pub
- Melee/Ranged need weapon focus/specialization and the equivalent mythic ranks to boost attack

Mythic Paths
- Check which mythic abilities scale off of rank and which don't. Abilities that increase at rank/2 are better at later levels
- Full Divine casters can combine spellbooks with Angel, and Lich can combine with Arcane. This results in getting 9th level spells much earlier.
- The mythic spellbooks do not benefit from abundant casting
- Despite the first mythic power you take, you aren't locked into a mythic path until the end of Act 2
- You can generally get mythic ranks by doing the mythic quests as soon as you can
- Taking second bloodlines and impossible domains can be extremely powerful when done right

Companions
- You'll get most of your companions by the end of Act 2.
- You do not get a bard companion
- Hiring 1-2 generic npcs from the Pathfinder in Act 1 is a good idea, they start off only costing 2k gold at level 3.
- Depending on mythic path, you may lose 1 companion at the start of Act 5.
- You may lose companions depending on how seriously you take your alignment
- The Lich can recruit 5 undead companions. 3 in Act 3, 1 in Act 4, and 1 in Act 5. They don't really talk or banter much.
- You can romance some non-companions if you choose

Crusade Mode
- The timer is very generous
- A strong starting army is 350 archers, 350 footmen, 70-100 Hellknights, and 70-100 Clerics
- Offense is better then defense, and ranged units are extremely good in sufficient numbers
- Generals need cure wounds, fire bolt, and +1 to army size. Choose those options as soon as they appear in level up
- Setsuna Shy is the best general for those abilities right away
- Late game upgrades to champions, marksmen, and hedge knights seem to be the highest damage dealers
- Small unique unit stacks are useful for scouting out the map, but aren't effective in combat
- There are guides that tell you what each relic decree will produce, otherwise its just more gear
- Buildings add logistics points to the rank, and can level you up faster the more you build.
- Some events can be saved for a quick Crusade morale boost if low

Modding
- Get the Toybox mod
- Get the inventory search bar mod

Metaknowledge
- The secret ending requires over 40 separate choices made throughout the entire game and you need to fight the final boss during a specific week of the in-game calendar. It's a completionist goal not something you're likely to accidentally do.
- Crafting spell scrolls for ones that require reagents is one way around the reagent cost. Dinosaur bones for example are pretty limited in game.
- Check every vendor's full inventory. Some have extremely good gear you won't find anywhere else that might last from Act 1 to the end of the game(Ring of Icey Protection in the Tavern).
- There are 6 magical essences in Kenebras, 3 in quest areas, and 3 in Gray Garrison. Getting 5 and talking to Storyteller as soon as you can after Act 1 finishes can get you an extremely powerful belt slot item that you are then shortly prompted to give away.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 23, 2021