Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Fallom posted:

Kind of struggling to think of what a save icon would be if not a floppy

None of my open apps have an icon and that's no fun at all
I've actually heard kids identify physical floppy disks as "save icons," and I feel like we've already crossed the point where the icon should just stay as it is since it's now entrenched as "click this to save your document".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zenostein posted:

They went through the trouble of updating every possible disk type you could jam into a macintosh to their neat photorealistic style. It would be unthinkable to leave in the old 2d rectangle Macintosh HD icon. What else could they have possibly used? It's a hard drive, so it looks like a hard drive, just as a CD looks like a CD and floppies look like floppies (I presume, because I cannot possibly remember the last time I used a floppy disk in OS X).

I'm not sure how it's any less logical or friendly than the old rectangle icon, especially since it's rather clearly labeled right out the box.

Now, if you're complaining that it doesn't reflect that most macs now have an SSD, that's fine, but I'm not sure "some chip looking thing" is a particularly appealing solution.

I mean in the sense that the vast majority of computer users, especially Mac users, shouldn't be expected to know what a hard drive looks like. I didn't think I was being that outré here.

When I click "like" on a tweet I'm not clicking on a photorealistic human heart.

I would have expected Apple of all companies to come up with an abstract symbol to represent persistent storage. If the IT world can have a stacked cylinder that universally says "database", surely something similar for "the place where you save things" would pay long-term dividends in a world where they had to know the tech/medium would change invisibly over the coming decades but the use patterns probably wouldn't.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I mean in the sense that the vast majority of computer users, especially Mac users, shouldn't be expected to know what a hard drive looks like. I didn't think I was being that outré here.

When I click "like" on a tweet I'm not clicking on a photorealistic human heart.

I would have expected Apple of all companies to come up with an abstract symbol to represent persistent storage. If the IT world can have a stacked cylinder that universally says "database", surely something similar for "the place where you save things" would pay long-term dividends in a world where they had to know the tech/medium would change invisibly over the coming decades but the use patterns probably wouldn't.

There’s no need to “know what a hard drive looks like”. Regardless of the icon being a rendering of a hard drive, that is the symbol used for a persistent storage. The icon is completely divorced from what it represents physically, but is used as a conceptual representation. Much like the floppy disk icon doesn’t represent an actual floppy disk, but instead is in the computer using consciousness as the “save symbol”. This isn’t a Mac thing, it’s pervasive across Mac, Windows, and Linux GUIs.

It’s misguided and idiotic pedantry to argue for changing the iconographic representations that have been embedded for decades.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Data Graham posted:

I've always thought it was a pretty hilarious choice of Mac OS X to use a photorealistic picture of an internal hard drive for its Macintosh HD icon.

I mean I don't know what would be better, but that's about the least logical, least friendly thing they could conceivably have gone with, right? And it's long outlived the age of skeuomorphism at that

It's incentive for you to paste over the hard drive with your own icon. The Classic/OS 9 HD icon was an external hard drive forever despite Macs not needing external drives since 1987.

All of the disk types in OS X are lovingly photorealistic renders. Even the LS120, SmartMedia, and Magneto-optical disk icons are still in 10.14.

At this point they really should be named "Macintosh SSD," shouldn't they?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The obvious solution to making a good save icon is what every decent Mac app does: not include one at all and autosave everything.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I hate the mail.app icon. Just an envelope would be fine.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

tankadillo posted:

The obvious solution to making a good save icon is what every decent Mac app does: not include one at all and autosave everything.

This is true.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tankadillo posted:

On the one hand it's a totally stupid accident of history that we have such concepts as "saving" and "booting" and "loading from disk into memory" in the first place, and I can't wait until they are all gone.

But on the other I still regularly autopilot my way through traditional muscle-memory workflows like taking a high-resolution PNG and scaling it down in Preview, exporting as a JPEG, closing the window, and realizing just then that I have hosed myself out of my hi-res original because now it's saved scaled-down and can't be restored.

e: Oh you mean I have to "duplicate" this 11.5GB file before working with it, oh nah that's okay I'm not short on disk space or anything *watches beachball for 100 hours*

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 18, 2018

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Data Graham posted:

On the one hand it's a totally stupid accident of history that we have such concepts as "saving" and "booting" and "loading from disk into memory" in the first place, and I can't wait until they are all gone.

But on the other I still regularly autopilot my way through traditional muscle-memory workflows like taking a high-resolution PNG and scaling it down in Preview, exporting as a JPEG, closing the window, and realizing just then that I have hosed myself out of my hi-res original because now it's saved scaled-down and can't be restored.

We use Office 365 SharePoint as our intranet at work, and periodically IT has to send out emails reminding people to make a copy of a PDF form before filling it out because just filling it out in the browser will autosave that information for the next person who opens it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tankadillo posted:

We use Office 365 SharePoint as our intranet at work, and periodically IT has to send out emails reminding people to make a copy of a PDF form before filling it out because just filling it out in the browser will autosave that information for the next person who opens it.

Hmm you should be able to change that using permissions.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I hope they never get rid of the floppy diskette save icon.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
macOS and Mac Software: Angry about icons

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Symbol, Icon, and Index.

I guess the Save icon isn't an icon anymore and is now a symbol.

Click the save symbol.....the one that looks like a small square with a notch.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
There's an easy and obvious way to deal with all this arguing about icons...

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Dick Trauma posted:

There's an easy and obvious way to deal with all this arguing about icons...

God I knew this poo poo was bad when I was 12 years old. Why did people think putting a blurry-textured physical recreations of objects on screen was better than just some well designed GUI options in the 90's? Ugh it makes me angry just to look at.

I think the floppy icon is fine, it's recognizable for its purpose, that's all you need. It doesn't matter if ships don't have an old-timey looking captain's wheel or anchor, if I see those icons on a map I'll know they are referencing a seaport or something nautical related. Tbh I think there are much more problems with hamburger menu icons, 3 dot icons (both vertical and horizontal) which all seem to mean "we stuffed more poo poo in here"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

God I knew this poo poo was bad when I was 12 years old. Why did people think putting a blurry-textured physical recreations of objects on screen was better than just some well designed GUI options in the 90's? Ugh it makes me angry just to look at.

It was bad back then and it was bad when they tried to bring it back in iOS

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Seriously look at this poo poo

I bet the clickable hitbox for the buttons didn't anywhere near match that skin, either. Was the idea that this was easier for computer illiterate boomers or what?

Tag yourself -- I'm one of the five images of a telephone handset, which may or may not be clickable interactive UI elements

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 19, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m the postage stamped letter ICON on a “phone” inside a “computer” in “2001”.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Data Graham posted:

If the IT world can have a stacked cylinder that universally says "database"

That's a bunch of cylinders of a hard drive.
So it's maybe a better analogy for the save icon becoming abstracted but still fundamentally the concept of a floppy diskette.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Is there an easy way to share my entire Mac hard drive on a local network to be accessed by a Win10 PC? (I'm copying stuff over).

I tried the built-in OSX file sharing but the PC can't seem to access the smb address.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MZ posted:

Is there an easy way to share my entire Mac hard drive on a local network to be accessed by a Win10 PC? (I'm copying stuff over).

I tried the built-in OSX file sharing but the PC can't seem to access the smb address.

Did you do this?
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25346?locale=en_CA

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Yes I followed all of that.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MZ posted:

Can you share a folder on the Windows machine and push the files from the Mac?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

Can you share a folder on the Windows machine and push the files from the Mac?

Maybe, I'll try that thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ok, I want a recents folder that's actually useful. So I made a smart folder with the following settings:

All of those items shown are in ~/Library/ What gives?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Document Container isn't Folder, seems to be iCloud Metadata.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/183054/document-container-vs-folder-name

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

Document Container isn't Folder, seems to be iCloud Metadata.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/183054/document-container-vs-folder-name

That's weird, I don't even have folder name as an attribute!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

That's weird, I don't even have folder name as an attribute!

Yeah I looked through the options trying to find something that matched what you want but I couldn't find it. It seems that these search attributes are specifically item metadata of which 'full path' string is not one ...

Since that guy on SO's description for Folder Name says folder name containing "the project", I'm guessing he has some software installed that writes that metadata to its project files. For example I have Transmit-related metadata in that list, which wouldn't exist on a system without Transmit installed.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
KeePass X is now way out of date and is a 32-bit program, so I need a new password manager. Asked this question a year ago and the recommendation given was for MacPass which is now a year out of date itself. (Also I was lazy and never upgraded.) What's the current recommendation? Strongbox seems to have had some good reviews in the past but there are only 5 now--can't tell if that's just because it's a new version or what.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Evidently Apple likes sneaking new features to their CLI commands..

Turns out macOS 10.14.2 has a new feature added to the diskutil command.

If you issue this command from Terminal from a 10.14.2 startup key:

code:
sudo diskutil resetFusion
This will wipe the Fusion drive so that it will be ready to receive a Mojave install.

Here's Apple's new man page on the feature:

Apple posted:

For Fusion Drive machine hardware configurations, reset the disk devices in the machine to a
factory-like state (one empty Fusion volume). This command requires the machine to contain
exactly one internal solid-state device (SSD) and one internal rotational device (HDD); if
so, you are prompted, and if you confirm, both devices are (re)-partitioned with GPT maps
and a Core Storage Fusion Drive volume is created. No system software is installed and no
user data is restored. All data on the machine is lost, including any "extra" partitions
(e.g. for Boot Camp or other "user" purposes). You generally must be booted from the Inter-
net Recovery System (CMD-OPT-R) or from an externally-connected macOS boot disk (e.g. a USB
drive), because you cannot erase a volume with a currently-running macOS. Ownership of the
affected disks is required.

This option is only available on diskutil that comes with 10.14.2, doesn't show up in .1 or 0.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

KeePass X is now way out of date and is a 32-bit program, so I need a new password manager. Asked this question a year ago and the recommendation given was for MacPass which is now a year out of date itself. (Also I was lazy and never upgraded.) What's the current recommendation? Strongbox seems to have had some good reviews in the past but there are only 5 now--can't tell if that's just because it's a new version or what.

1Password is the best. Get a stand-alone license.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Pivo posted:

1Password is the best. Get a stand-alone license.

Yup. Love 1Password, some of the best money I've ever spent when it comes to apps.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qutius posted:

Yup. Love 1Password, some of the best money I've ever spent when it comes to apps.

Absolutely agree

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Last Chance posted:

Idk, I've seen icons with a down arrow pointing to a device or symbol and that gets the point across that you're putting a file somewhere

tuyop posted:

I’ve only ever seen a floppy.

Safari

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

That’s not a save icon at all! Download and save aren’t even close in meaning!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I'll go with 1Password. Thanks everyone! Last question: where do I find the info for a standalone license? Their website is doing their best to funnel me towards a subscription and I'm too dumb to find the actual "CLICK THIS FOR A STANDALONE LICENSE AND PAY THIS MUCH" page.

Edit: Given my needs, may not be the worst thing to get their "Families" product even if it is an annual subscription.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

I'll go with 1Password. Thanks everyone! Last question: where do I find the info for a standalone license? Their website is doing their best to funnel me towards a subscription and I'm too dumb to find the actual "CLICK THIS FOR A STANDALONE LICENSE AND PAY THIS MUCH" page.

Edit: Given my needs, may not be the worst thing to get their "Families" product even if it is an annual subscription.

I personally abhor the idea of perpetually paying a subscription fee to use a password manager, like it keeps you hostage. Also it makes a lot of sense to keep your vault files on Dropbox and manually handle backups yourself. You probably have cloud storage somewhere already -- why do you need to perpetually pay a fee for hundreds of kB of their cloud storage? It makes no sense.

To purchase a standalone license, download 1Password. When it asks you to license it, there will be small text that says "Need a license? We have those too."

That being said - if a subscription works for you and you feel strongly about it, whatever, you do you. I've been posting about hating most software subscriptions in every thread that it comes up. IMO you have to evaluate each on their value that it adds, and for software like a password manager, I don't believe it adds any and instead is a liability.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like a password manager would be a thing where you would want a subscription model keeping things as up-to-date as possible.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

withak posted:

Seems like a password manager would be a thing where you would want a subscription model keeping things as up-to-date as possible.

So install the updates??

The last time between paid releases was 5 years. And I'm pretty sure they still maintain the old one for critical issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
The thing I like about 1Password Families/Teams is the ability to easily share passwords with people without granting access to all of my passwords. At work in particular, Teams is absolutely amazing. To me, having that sort of capability and ease of use is more than worth the subscription cost.