Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Electric Phantasm posted:

I remember when lightning rod got changed so it absorbs electric attacks.

I remember this because we learned that Seaking got Lightning Rod before we knew that it now absorbed electric attacks. There was a period of time where it seems like Gamefreak pulled the cruelest of jokes on the poor fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Reminder that Pineco exists. Forretress is memorable cause competitive, but it evolves from a loving PINECONE.

e: Tyrogue is also extremely forgettable

e2: CHINGLING. THE MOST FORGETTABLE POKEMON

Does anyone use any of the Hitmons? At least Hitmontop has cool animations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does anyone use any of the Hitmons? At least Hitmontop has cool animations.

Hitmontop sees use in competitive because it has Intimidate and Rapid Spin, Hitmonlee has the classic Endure + Unburden + Liechi + Reversal combo, but Hitmonchan is pretty useless.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I completely forgot Carnivine was a thing. I think I could name every Pokemon, from a picture at least, but I would have been completely stumped by this guy.

EDIT: Ooh, Volbeat and Illumise.

Basculin.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

carnivine SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I actually googled 'most forgettable Pokemon' and Basculin came up, but I put Qwilfish over it because Basculin was all over the water in its generation and it was vaguely neat in that it had the two different colors ala Shellos. Other than that, yeah, completely forgettable.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Reminder that Pineco exists. Forretress is memorable cause competitive, but it evolves from a loving PINECONE.

e: Tyrogue is also extremely forgettable

e2: CHINGLING. THE MOST FORGETTABLE POKEMON

how about you kiss my grits because chingling is mommy's precious boy

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Basculin is a hero in smogon Randoms, choice band adaptability aqua jets save lives

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I think the most notable thing about Basculin to me is that its hidden ability hasn't been made available since the Gen 5 Dream World was shut down.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

oddium posted:

how about you kiss my grits because chingling is mommy's precious boy

Chingling is a precious friend but Chimecho is my vote for most forgetable. At least Chingling is a cute little bell.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 9, 2017

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Hey guys, remember Mantine? Pretty forgettable huh.

Mantyke.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

There's a reason why they've stopped making new baby Pokémon after Gen 4. There's probably also a reason why they've stopped making new Evolutions for older Pokémon that isn't Eevee as well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zuzie posted:

There's a reason why they've stopped making new baby Pokémon after Gen 4. There's probably also a reason why they've stopped making new Evolutions for older Pokémon that isn't Eevee as well.

Mantyke is so weird too because Mantine is a lovely gen 2 pokemon and Gen 4 was all about giving those guys some okay evolutions but mantine is the one that got a baby instead.

Why?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Mantyke is so weird too because Mantine is a lovely gen 2 pokemon and Gen 4 was all about giving those guys some okay evolutions but mantine is the one that got a baby instead.

Why?

oddium posted:

here's how they decide which mega stones + moves + move sets + any other curious things get added:

gamefreak 1: i made a cool thing
gamefreak 2: i just added it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Maractus. Hey guys let's take Cacturne and make it lovely!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Cacturne is already less than stellar :(

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone else find it hard to shake what you learned playing the games as a child? I always used the fire type starters so seeing a water type hit the field still scares me even if i'm using a grass type

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
If you can remember its name then it's not that forgettable.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hardcordion posted:

Hey guys, remember Mantine? Pretty forgettable huh.

Mantyke.

Jesus, I had completely forgotten they added that one. Cute, but ridiculously unnecessary.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I actually googled 'most forgettable Pokemon' and Basculin came up, but I put Qwilfish over it because Basculin was all over the water in its generation and it was vaguely neat in that it had the two different colors ala Shellos. Other than that, yeah, completely forgettable.

Qwilfish is actually a fav of mine and I managed to use an Intimidate one to completely destroy a Mega Kangaskhan once, thus solidifying his status as Best Fish Forever. :shobon:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All the pure Grass types that are just plants with faces blend together for me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaine the Train posted:

Qwilfish is actually a fav of mine and I managed to use an Intimidate one to completely destroy a Mega Kangaskhan once, thus solidifying his status as Best Fish Forever. :shobon:

I met a friend at work who told me a story about him using a Qwilfish in battle once too.

poo poo, even the unremarkable and forgettable ones have stories. Our favorite Pokeman really is every Pokeman

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

oddium posted:

[solemnly] i know lumineon, and frankly all of the monsters

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

CHINGLING. THE MOST FORGETTABLE POKEMON

rude and incorrect

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Cacturne can also make some stuff happen, between Sucker Punch, Water Absorb, and Spikes. Can't say that for Maractus, unfortunately. :(

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
Not this again. Lumineon was a "forgettable" that I absolutely love. it's so pretty. it was a good fish.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just remembered Sunkern. The pokemon that exists to introduce Sun Stones. Because Sunvee was just a little too dumb of an idea for them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

DizzyBum posted:

I've played more than one Pokemon spinoff game where I encountered Maractus and went "oh, I don't remember this fella". Multiple games.

I missed out on gen VI so for the longest time I figured out he was part of that. Nope, turns out it's in gen V. I guess that is the fate of a 10% chance Pokemon only found in a single area.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Cute, but ridiculously unnecessary.

I don't understand this sentence.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maractus is a dancing cactus. A good Pokemon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Maractus should've been an alternate evo of Cacnea.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Shakes the Maractus, dragon slayer supreme.

Fake edit: having my first contact with pokemon be Choro's LPs adds a lot of silly fun to reading these threads and people going "who would use Chimecho/Maractus/Druddigon/Audino/etc."

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

I don't understand this sentence.

That is fair. I guess to elaborate, it is cute, but Mantine is even cuter and has an over-all better design. I can accept Smoochum and Magby ect since they look distinctly different than their evolutions an add to the progression. Mantyke does not. I'm not mad or anything that they're in there, I like Mantyke well enough, but that is what I meant by unnecessary.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

maractus is a precious pure baby

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That is fair. I guess to elaborate, it is cute, but Mantine is even cuter and has an over-all better design. I can accept Smoochum and Magby ect since they look distinctly different than their evolutions an add to the progression. Mantyke does not. I'm not mad or anything that they're in there, I like Mantyke well enough, but that is what I meant by unnecessary.

Mantyke has a smiley face on its back. :colbert:

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
It's interesting seeing so many people mention Maractus as the most forgettable Pokemon. When I was doing my living dex, I was 99% done when I decided to look up what I was missing, and when I found Maractus I legitimately had no memory of it ever existing. Honestly I thought it was Gen IV until just now.

That said, it feels like Gen II had the largest number of pretty forgettable no-evolution Pokemon. Stantler, Girafarig, Qwilfish, Dunsparce...

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if you forget dunsparce that's your problem really

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Eox posted:

stantler, girafarig and swalot are up there.

edit: carnivine

it's impossible to forget girafarig, it's like mawile's mentally-challenged big brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Unown, Mr.Mime