Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad just started making this fermented/pickled stuff that’s like sauerkraut but with shredded carrots and maybe onions in it, and I can’t remember what it’s called but the name sounds like “gordita” (like the Taco Bell food) but with an ‘o’ at the end of it instead of an ‘a’.

He started making it at my aunt’s insistence after she told him it was “great for your gut [and] full of good gut bacteria” and sent him a huge ceramic fermenting... pot... thing with a bunch of wooden tools and poo poo.

...... it doesn’t taste that bad? I just don’t get what it is with old people and gut health. :shrug:

Also what the gently caress is this stuff called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Curtido, most likely.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Poopin be hard when you get older.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Curtido is in fact Salvadorian sauerkraut. It's delicious and you should eat as much as you can.

Mmmmmmm curtido........

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Pickling makes almost everything better. gently caress sweet pickles though, those are loving foul.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Croatoan posted:

Pickling makes almost everything better. gently caress sweet pickles though, those are loving foul.

yes i trust the pickled food opinion of someone who didn't know ginger existed in a nonpickled form until this week

lots of good sweeter pickles out there. relish is good, chowchow is good. lots of non north american sweeter pickles out there. not everything is koolaid pickles

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Bread and butter pickles own

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mediaphage posted:

yes i trust the pickled food opinion of someone who didn't know ginger existed in a nonpickled form until this week

Hahaha

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm with Croat on this one, I just can't dig on sweet pickles. They don't all have to be mouth-searingly sour, but I just don't like them sweet.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm in the sweet pickles are garbage camp

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

gently caress a sweet pickle, imo

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Sweet pickles work fine when you're pickling something that has any sweetness whatsoever to it to start with. Like sweet potatoes or squashes or carrots and certainly fruits and so on are all good pickled relatively sweet.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mediaphage posted:

lots of good sweeter pickles out there. relish is good, chowchow is good. lots of non north american sweeter pickles out there. not everything is koolaid pickles

Sorry I don't like gross rear end pickle poo poo that you like. Go hog wild, it's all yours.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

Sorry I don't like gross rear end pickle poo poo that you like. Go hog wild, it's all yours.

Lol you’re a touchy thing today

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sweet & hot pickles own

especially with cold fried chicken

don’t @me

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
@hauki: wroooooooong

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Relish is fine and all but I have a jar of bread and butter pickles in the fridge that I'm pretty sure will never be opened

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I don’t mind room temp fried chicken but cold fried chicken is always more disappointing than I want it to be because the skin has usually gotten pretty soft by that point.

In regards sweet pickles, I think all the major supermarket brands are pretty sweet and gross, but there are excellent diy or craft varieties. I like them on sandwiches or in place of relish.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I like a sweet pickle when paired with something that needs lit, like a nice greasy sausage with mustard, but I will snack on dills and half sours straight up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hawkperson posted:

Relish is fine and all but I have a jar of bread and butter pickles in the fridge that I'm pretty sure will never be opened
Commercially packed bread and butters are almost always too sweet, but homemade bread and butters are approximately the best thing to have on the side with smoked brisket.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

Commercially packed bread and butters are almost always too sweet, but homemade bread and butters are approximately the best thing to have on the side with smoked brisket.

I think you meant to say "picked jalapenos" but we can forgive you this once.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eh. I've never been crazy about jalapeños in general. They're like a third-tier pepper at best.

But anyway pickled jalapeños don't serve the same role anyway. Smoked brisket with rub and no sauce on like challah is hot-spicy and salty and b&b pickles are a little sweet and super crisp and refreshing. It's sorta like having corn on the cob or elote on the side. It's there for the contrast, which pickled jalapeños don't (in this context) have.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SubG posted:

Eh. I've never been crazy about jalapeños in general. They're like a third-tier pepper at best.

But anyway pickled jalapeños don't serve the same role anyway. Smoked brisket with rub and no sauce on like challah is hot-spicy and salty and b&b pickles are a little sweet and super crisp and refreshing. It's sorta like having corn on the cob or elote on the side. It's there for the contrast, which pickled jalapeños don't (in this context) have.

I agree with all of this but also don’t have a problem adding both sweet pickl and pepps

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I would throw 1,000 pickled jalapenos in a fire for a fresh one and I don't even like jalapenos.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

pile of brown posted:

I would throw 1,000 pickled jalapenos in a fire for a fresh one and I don't even like jalapenos.

Hot take.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Wiggles is correct in this.

Also sweet pickles are trash.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Name a chile you like less than jalapenos

Edit:green bell peppers don't count

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Also sweet pickles are trash.

Nah, just your opinion is.

Honestly most pickled jalapeños I find are really bad, in part because people don’t do a good job pickling them, so they end up being mush, and in part because jalapeños tend to be highly variable in terms of heat distribution. But good pickled jalapeños tend to be pretty great.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

pile of brown posted:

Gree-- oh.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Nope sweet pickles are gross.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Drink and Fight posted:

Nope sweet pickles are gross.

:hf:

Also 2 or 3 day fridge pickled jalapenos are awesome because they're the best of both worlds.

Edit: I mean between fresh and pickled but I didn't want to assume.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 8, 2020

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’d take a normal pickle over a pickled jalapeño, but a fried jalapeño is superior to the fried pickle as a drinking snack.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ripe jalapenos are awesome

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

pile of brown posted:

Aji Dulce, Banana pepper, Fresno :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't like the hot wax peppers.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I don't like the hot wax peppers.

just heating them up doesn't mean they aren't still made of wax!! they're decorative you fool!!!!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

jalapenos are awesome

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Ghost chilies are basically useless to me.

Or any of the 20+ chilies that have since passed it on the scoville scale.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 8, 2020

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Aji Dulce, Banana pepper, Fresno :colbert:

Fresnos are delicious, banana peppers are meh and I'm not familiar with aji dulce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

kittenmittons posted:

Ghost chilies are basically useless to me.

Or any of the 20+ chilies that have since passed it on the scoville scale.

Ghost pepper tartar sauce is delicious and amazing over some breaded fish.

Just uh, don't have any plans besides writhing in pain for the next while.

Still worth it, but you need to schedule accordingly.