Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Morpheus posted:

Watched A Wrinkled in Time last night. Not a particularly good.movie. But what really got me was how absolutely pointless the character of Calvin was. He literally does nothing the entire film. I mean, nothing. Could've been removed entirely without changing a single plot point. I feel like he actually does something in the book, but don't really remember.

It's been a while since I've seen Blade Runner 2049 but I feel the same way about Jared Leto in that movie. Same with the Walton Goggins character in Ant-Man. Movies are way bloated with pointless characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Jared Leto is always a pointless character. I will never understand his popularity.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Captain Monkey posted:

Jared Leto is always a pointless character. I will never understand his popularity.
:haibrow:

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Every now and then he does something really good (Requiem for a dream) and then follows it up with poo poo, then does something really good again (he was p drat good in Dallas buyers club) and then follows it up with like suicide squad or whatever

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

It's been a while since I've seen Blade Runner 2049 but I feel the same way about Jared Leto in that movie. Same with the Walton Goggins character in Ant-Man. Movies are way bloated with pointless characters.

My experience was that Blade Runner 2049 is more of an cyberpunk art exhibit with a plot than a movie about synthetic people and mega corps.

Similarly as Space Odyssey 2001 is an artwork revolving around near sci-fi, or a slow-moving flick with really obtuse final act. Unless you read the book that was released along with the movie.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
In Coco the dead are able to retrieve offerings during Dia de Los Muertos and it is depicted by them taking the 'ghosts' of the food /gifts of their living families. OK, makes sense. But then how the hell did Ernesto De La Cruz bring back the mountains of offerings from his fans? He's such a big shot in the land of the dead that it doesn't seem like he has time to bother crossing the bridge in the first place, since he seems to be partying and preparing for his big concert the whole time.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

In Coco the dead are able to retrieve offerings during Dia de Los Muertos and it is depicted by them taking the 'ghosts' of the food /gifts of their living families. OK, makes sense. But then how the hell did Ernesto De La Cruz bring back the mountains of offerings from his fans? He's such a big shot in the land of the dead that it doesn't seem like he has time to bother crossing the bridge in the first place, since he seems to be partying and preparing for his big concert the whole time.

Maybe some of his guards do it? I presume just like in the land of the living, in the Land of the Dead if you have money and power you can get away with bending a lot of rules.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I guess, but up to that point we only see dead people personally take offerings. For example, there's a gag where a pissed off skeleton lady is telling her husband "I'm not spending Dia DE Los Muertos with your ex wife's family" (implying his kids from a previous marriage put his photo up with their mom).

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mu Zeta posted:

walton goggins is a national treasure you monster.

Biplane posted:

Lucifer makes me weep for the Sandman/Lucifer HBO extravaganza we’ll never have :smith:

same. they really butchered the comic w/ lucifer. outside of american gods has gaiman ever had a good film / tv adaption?

edit i forgot about star dust. thats a good adaption to

vv you forget the shield!?

snergle has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Mar 25, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah in Vice Principals and Justified. In most movies his characters are nothing. I'm not even saying the actor is bad. I'm complaining about how movies have useless characters. In the case of Ant-Man they don't give him enough to do.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Mar 25, 2019

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah in The Hateful Eight

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Don't even get me started on Ocean's Three-hundred and Forty-Seven

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

MI does lean completely into it as a character trait in every single movie so for me it's completely forgivable, plus everything he does feels so visceral and painful that it's basically the opposite of a superhero movie where nobody seems to ever feel a hit.

Literally the best line from Fallout was Henry Cavill yelling at Tom Cruise "HOPE IS NOT A STRATEGY!" and Rebecca Ferguson just giving him a whithering look and saying "you must be new here".

E: just realised I replied to the wrong person but I'm also not sure who I was supposed to be replying to anymore. Sorry about that.

Also Cavill keeps introducing himself to people who really don't care. Which made sense since it wasn't his real name.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Der Kyhe posted:

My experience was that Blade Runner 2049 is more of an cyberpunk art exhibit with a plot than a movie about synthetic people and mega corps.

Similarly as Space Odyssey 2001 is an artwork revolving around near sci-fi, or a slow-moving flick with really obtuse final act. Unless you read the book that was released along with the movie.

My IMM: Please stop putting Harrison Ford in movies (at least as anything other than an old man)

Dude is a loving legend, so I get it. But he's too old and he's done way too many drugs. He just cannot act anymore.

Seeing him as "Deckard" and "Han Solo" was just... weird. He's not playing a character anymore. He's just Harrison Ford. He just walked up on set and started talking to the movie characters.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, tbf the only time I recall him acting like someone else was in regarding henry, where he played a brain damaged Harrison ford. Dude's like John wayne, he plays himself in every movie. Only the mood changes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I don't get why he gets so loving pissed when people ask him about Star Wars or Indiana Jones. Those two are why he became loving famous, not loving Sabrina.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Many famous people seem to despise what made them the most famous

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

snergle posted:

same. they really butchered the comic w/ lucifer. outside of american gods has gaiman ever had a good film / tv adaption?

Coraline?

Edit: I also enjoyed Mirrormask, don't know if that counts

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

oldpainless posted:

Many famous people seem to despise what made them the most famous

Not always. For example, R Kelly will always will always have a place in his heart for abusing minors.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I loved mirrormask but am afraid to watch it again, lest I accidentally discover it's actually poo poo or something.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't get why he gets so loving pissed when people ask him about Star Wars or Indiana Jones. Those two are why he became loving famous, not loving Sabrina.

probably hearing the same question for the two hundredth time gets old

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Who the gently caress wants to talk to star wars fans

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Star Wars so probably more like two millionth time.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Who the gently caress wants to talk to star wars fans

Chris Hansen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

I wonder if the kid who was Harry Potter will turn into Ford when he gets older. He just seems more chill about his fame.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wonder if the kid who was Harry Potter will turn into Ford when he gets older. He just seems more chill about his fame.

He seems to have taken that Harry Potter money and fame and used it to just take whatever weird rear end movie role he wants.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Push El Burrito posted:

He seems to have taken that Harry Potter money and fame and used it to just take whatever weird rear end movie role he wants.

Aside from that weird horse movie, I love what he's doing. Swiss Army Man is simultaneously hilarious and sad as hell. A movie about a farting boat corpse shouldn't make me cry, but it did. The undercover nazi one was kind of weird, but he still pulled it off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Right now he's on a comedy miniseries on TBS where he plays a low ranking angel in heaven working for God (played by Steve Buscemi.) He brings this hilarious intense awkward energy to his character.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He did a funny mini series with John Hamm where he was some Russian surgeon in the early 1900s. It was gross too.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I thought that was Star Trek fans?

muscles like this! posted:

Right now he's on a comedy miniseries on TBS where he plays a low ranking angel in heaven working for God (played by Steve Buscemi.) He brings this hilarious intense awkward energy to his character.

Is that good? I've been meaning to check it out.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Aside from that weird horse movie, I love what he's doing. Swiss Army Man is simultaneously hilarious and sad as hell. A movie about a farting boat corpse shouldn't make me cry, but it did. The undercover nazi one was kind of weird, but he still pulled it off.

He was also in Horns which was a pretty weird film.

So far all the main Harry Potter kids have done alright.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Push El Burrito posted:

So far all the main Harry Potter kids have done alright.

Poor, poor R Pats. He did not deserve what Twilight did, and is probably still doing, to him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's been working with Cronenberg and Safdie Bros. And he's doing the next Nolan movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Schubalts posted:

Poor, poor R Pats. He did not deserve what Twilight did, and is probably still doing, to him.

I'd say he's been fine. He did three romantic dramas in between the Twilight movies and then stepped away from being typecast with stuff like The Rover, Good Times and recently High Life. Cosmopolis was apparently released before the last Twilight movie, but already showed in which direction he wanted to go.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

snergle posted:

walton goggins is a national treasure you monster.

Lucifer isn't a Gaiman adaptation. He only created this version of Lucifer, Mazikeen and the Lux nightclub. The comic was written by Mike Carey, who also wrote The Girl With All The Gifts.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Schubalts posted:

I dunno man, he's become one of those names that when I notice, they make me want to check out a movie that didn't seem interesting at first glance.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Schubalts posted:

Poor Robert Patterson? Poor Kristen Stewart! People act like she wrote Twilight sometimes.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
But Stewart was a lovely actor.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

But Stewart was a lovely actor.

She really isn't. She played her Twilight character perfectly because nobody liked her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's a limited actor, which isn't necessarily the same as bad.

Because of Twilight she got popular and cast into roles she shouldn't have been.