Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

davebo posted:

drat, I was really hoping I'd like this car but that infotainment panel, blech.

It looks like they ripped the interior off wholesale from Audi (which makes sense, considering they stole their designer). I ain't mad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

davebo posted:

Are you new to the 2017 auto world? Every manufacturer has these tablet-krazy-glued-to-the-dash looking pieces of poo poo, from Kia all the way up to a Maybach. It's what the focus groups wanted, bless their hearts.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I'm not a fan of the tablet thing either but they're even in the new miata, so don't throw stones etc

Pryor on Fire posted:

This might have made sense in 2012? when GoPro reached peak hype, hardly ever see them at all anymore. Seems like they'd make a lovely dashcam. Or is the mount for pointing the camera in so you can narrate your extreme youtube lifestyle? I guess that makes more sense.
The mounts are compatible with most knockoffs as well, but yeah, I think the intention is to record your mad adventures that your shiny new mall crawler allows you to experience. It would be actually cool if they had any power there at least.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How hard is the trim on them to pop off to run a wire up and under the headliner through the A pillar?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

davebo posted:

Round air vents always remind me of pontiacs

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

Round air vents always remind me of pontiacs

RIP in peace, Pontiac; gone 2 soon.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
As long as you're not expected to lean in and touch it to do most functions the eye-level tablet-ish screen is the safest way to have a screen in a car, and since everything's required to have a rearview camera soon fighting screens in general is a lost cause.

If it doesn't have some kind of control knob like BMW/Mazda do putting it up there I guess is marginally safer than having to move your eye level over and down from the road to do things, but all touchscreens in cars should be disabled when the car is moving already.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Oh I love screens in a car, I just want it integrated with the dash design better than a tablet that looks glued to the dash. I guess it really is hard to do ergonomic design without looking ridiculous or being unsafe.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

Oh I love screens in a car, I just want it integrated with the dash design better than a tablet that looks glued to the dash. I guess it really is hard to do ergonomic design without looking ridiculous or being unsafe.

They got it right in the G90, which ripped it from the latest S class. I hate the ones where it looks like a tablet stuck on top, which is de rigeur these days sadly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What's wrong with the rear-view camera display in the mirror like my Mustang has? That way it doesn't foul up the interior with a giant useless touchscreen.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Michael Scott posted:

Are you new to the 2017 auto world? Every manufacturer has these tablet-krazy-glued-to-the-dash looking pieces of poo poo, from Kia all the way up to a Maybach. It's what the focus groups wanted, bless their hearts.

I dunno, I've certainly seen them in I think Mazdas and Mercedes but it wasn't my understanding that was just universal design now. It's not in the current Kia Optima so that 's sort of what I was expecting from the GT, a RWD slightly nicer Optima, which it certainly does look like on the outside.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

PT6A posted:

What's wrong with the rear-view camera display in the mirror like my Mustang has? That way it doesn't foul up the interior with a giant useless touchscreen.

Because those useless touch screens are actually useful way beyond just being the backup camera. Things like CarPlay and android auto integration have made them a very nice thing to have in the car.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

kill me now posted:

Its just called the GT. The Stinger GT was a 2+2 sports car concept. Different cars

The official reveal is supposed to start in 5 hours at 6pm est

https://www.thecurveahead.net

Seems it's called the Stinger after all; perhaps with GT as a trim level.

RWD or AWD, 255hp 4-pot or 365 V6.

I'm expecting Canada to be AWD only.

e: After reading the info Stinger is the 4-pot, Stinger GT is the V6.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 9, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think it's funny because everybody who owns an optima debadges it so nobody knows they're driving a kia.

Stinger owners won't be able to debadge theirs, or people will think they're driving an optima.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

To the surprise of no one, there's no mention of curb weight.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I'm gonna bet it won't matter because it'll be 3 series money for a kia badge.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
7 series weight for 3 series money

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

It's a V6 twin turbo awd grand touring sedan that is closer to a 5 series than a 3 series in size (190.2" for the Stinger compared to 182.5" and 193.4" respectively) it's not going to be super light. That said Kia is usually pretty reasonable when it comes to curb weight (top end Optima is about 200lbs lighter than a loaded fusion)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

We'll have to see how close in weight it is to the G80 :v

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Probably not that close, the G80 is more than half a foot longer and a bit wider.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The first thing I thought of when I saw the Kia Stinger GT was the new Audi S5 Sportback.

It's AWD with a 3.0L V6 putting out 354 HP and 369 lb-ft of torque.

It's 3" shorter than the Stinger GT at 187.1" in length with a 111.2" wheelbase.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 9, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Kia GT is I think supposed to platform share with the upcoming G70, not the G80 which is the old Genesis.

The Kia GT itself is probably benchmarked on the A5

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PCOS Bill posted:

How hard is the trim on them to pop off to run a wire up and under the headliner through the A pillar?

About as hard as sticking a GoPro mount pad to the glass, which is why they should have done that to seal the deal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Officially official:

Us Ranger in 2019
bronco in 2020 as a global vehicle. Will be body on frame.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Also, supposedly the new 550xi does sub-4 second 0-60.

Oh, and the new Grand Cherokee will use the RWD Alfa Romeo platform. Presumably this is for increased reliability.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Oh, and the new Grand Cherokee will use the RWD Alfa Romeo platform. Presumably this is for increased reliability.

:drat:

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Powershift posted:

Officially official:

Us Ranger in 2019

Everyone just be quiet and let me dream for a second.

Please ford, please please please make one of the available configurations 4X4 with 2.7 Ecoboost and 6 speed manual.
Don't make me get a god awful Taco or the million year old Frontier to get a configuration close to this.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Also, supposedly the new 550xi does sub-4 second 0-60.

If the Italian electronic parking brake is designed to fail in the "on" position maybe it'll prevent more roll-away deaths!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Really any engine 4x4 manual ranger would get pre ordered ASAP by myself

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Yeah, wet dream would be the ecoboost. But Id gladly take any engine with 4X4 and stick.
Im in the same boat. Ill preorder the loving thing to show I mean business.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Why would you want a manual in a vehicle like that? I've had the misfortune of driving the current (international) version a bit and I'd far prefer an auto box (maybe it'd be different with a petrol engine but I wouldn't think so)

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm betting we'll get a base 4 banger, the 3.3 and the 2.7EB. Decent shot at the 5 cylinder diesel from the Transit too.

I'll happily take a 4x4 with the 3.3.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It'll still be ~3800lbs, i don't think an n/a 4 banger will make it in.

the 3.3 will probably be the base engine, the 2.3 in 87 octane trim an option on cheap spec trucks and the 2.7 an option on more expensive trucks.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

dissss posted:

Why would you want a manual in a vehicle like that? I've had the misfortune of driving the current (international) version a bit and I'd far prefer an auto box (maybe it'd be different with a petrol engine but I wouldn't think so)

Everyone here hates autos no matter how much stop-and-go traffic they drive in.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Powershift posted:

It'll still be ~3800lbs, i don't think an n/a 4 banger will make it in.
The Colorado has one, I see no reason not to expect the same for the Ranger.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Everyone here hates autos no matter how much stop-and-go traffic they drive in.

I love manuals, have one in my car and don't bitch about traffic. It doesn't mean they're appropriate for all sorts of vehicles.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Q_res posted:

The Colorado has one, I see no reason not to expect the same for the Ranger.

Yeah, but so does the impala and the ATS.

The ford equivalents start with a 3.5 v6 or a 2.0 turbo.

Chevy sticks the 2.5 into trim levels nobody actually buys just to say they start at an attractive price. Ford does the same with the rental spec fusion/escape, but i can see that dying off soon, too. The 2.5 duratec hasn't really changed since 2009, and i can't see a reason for them to update it before they drop it.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

dissss posted:

I love manuals, have one in my car and don't bitch about traffic. It doesn't mean they're appropriate for all sorts of vehicles.

The good news is most trucks are ready to go in your exact wanted configuration!

Me personally, Ive had 3 stick trucks in my life and Ive loved each of them to death.
Now that I have the money to buy a new one, Id love to do just that.
My current choices include.....2. Total.

And really that is just 1, as Toyota makes it drat near impossible to get a 6 speed, and even if you do somehow pull it off, they do bullshit things like certain colors MUST come with a tonneau cover.
Oh you want the completely ultra rare color Black? No sorry, we arent making that one right now.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Franco Caution posted:

The good news is most trucks are ready to go in your exact wanted configuration!

Not in my part of the world - autos are quickly catching on but look in any Colorado or Hilux or Ranger or whatever and it'll probably still be a manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Haven't had to drive in traffic for years, have yet to find an auto that is acceptable because on snowy steep roads they are all loving garbage. Yes I've tried all combos of drivetrain and tires. I want to spin the wheels a bit at 3k rpm STOP FIGHTING ME ARGHHHH