Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Michigan lefts are an abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Eskaton posted:

Or, ya know, in Detroit:

This one's great because, at first glance, it doesn't look that much like the sides are different. Then you take a second pass, and you notice that the streets on the right aren't as shaded, a lot of them don't even have sidewalks, all the houses are smaller and closer together, a lot of them are just gone...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Redeye Flight posted:

This one's great because, at first glance, it doesn't look that much like the sides are different. Then you take a second pass, and you notice that the streets on the right aren't as shaded, a lot of them don't even have sidewalks, all the houses are smaller and closer together, a lot of them are just gone...

It still looks fairly nice from up on high.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Redeye Flight posted:

It looks like all of them on the right have sidewalks, they just aren't maintained

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Redeye Flight posted:

They're pretty different up close.

A random street in Chaldean Town on the right.

And a random street on the other side of M-1, the main road.

These two addresses are about 1 mile apart.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Even the weather is better.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Soviet Commubot posted:

A random street in Chaldean Town on the right.

Jesus, all that's missing is the lightning and spooky ghosts.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Soviet Commubot posted:

And a random street on the other side of M-1, the main road.

Lmao, everyone calls it Woodward.

Golbez posted:

Michigan lefts are an abomination.

They're honestly really efficient. It doesn't make sense at first, but then I remember how god awful left turns are.

The real shame is stupid wide the road is. No one wants to walk across that poo poo.

Chaldean Town looks like it's in the middle of transition, as most of the houses have been torn down and it looks some new construction is popping up right next to it. Detroit is a really interesting place to streetview.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 30, 2016

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Even the weather is better.

hahaaha

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Eskaton posted:

Lmao, everyone calls it Woodward

I'm from deep up in the northwoods, the only times I ever really went south of Lansing when I still lived in Michigan was for pizza in Greektown or sports stuff.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

I guess Mormons aren't Christians

Well their not Chaldeans.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Soviet Commubot posted:

I'm from deep up in the northwoods, the only times I ever really went south of Lansing when I still lived in Michigan was for pizza in Greektown or sports stuff.

Dude, I'm from Oscoda. Try to have a little knowledge about the most important city in the state. :spergin:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A lot of the housing in the totally abandoned areas like that were pretty bad houses when they were new. A lot of wood frame 500-600 sq ft houses built in the 20s and 40s with no garage at all. And absolutely packed together (when they were all standing). Since the neighborhoods were pretty bad off from the beginning they decided to lay down industrial railroad in that area and slap down some factories and airports right in the middle of residential. North Detroit was never very good tbh.

The areas closer to downtown that have brick houses are in a much better situation and people are more willing to renovate them.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Uncle Jam posted:

A lot of the housing in the totally abandoned areas like that were pretty bad houses when they were new. A lot of wood frame 500-600 sq ft houses built in the 20s and 40s with no garage at all. And absolutely packed together (when they were all standing). Since the neighborhoods were pretty bad off from the beginning they decided to lay down industrial railroad in that area and slap down some factories and airports right in the middle of residential. North Detroit was never very good tbh.

The areas closer to downtown that have brick houses are in a much better situation and people are more willing to renovate them.

Yeah, I'd believe that. Detroit was absolutely packed at that time.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 1, 2016

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Just fyi if anyone is jonesin' for a good place for your ska band to play

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17246-Strasburg-St-Detroit-MI-48205/88595752_zpid/

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Uncle Jam posted:

Just fyi if anyone is jonesin' for a good place for your ska band to play

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17246-Strasburg-St-Detroit-MI-48205/88595752_zpid/

That's not the Trumbullplex.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

European cities' latitudes and relative locations plotted onto North America (and vice versa).

a polish postdoc in my lab told me she expected the southern US to have a similar climate to north africa because of the latitude, before she moved here

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Whole Internet posted:

a polish postdoc in my lab told me she expected the southern US to have a similar climate to north africa because of the latitude, before she moved here

Yeah, people don't realize that there's an east-to-west gradient to the climate as well because of the impacts of the oceans. The closest analogues to Europe are the climates along the west coast, not the east coast. (It's why you can grow good wine in California but not so much in the east) Conversely, the east coast climates match up reasonably well to east Asia. Tokyo's a lot closer to Savannah or Atlanta than Los Angeles, even though they're all about the same latitude.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, people don't realize that there's an east-to-west gradient to the climate as well because of the impacts of the oceans. The closest analogues to Europe are the climates along the west coast, not the east coast. (It's why you can grow good wine in California but not so much in the east) Conversely, the east coast climates match up reasonably well to east Asia. Tokyo's a lot closer to Savannah or Atlanta than Los Angeles, even though they're all about the same latitude.

No, you totally can and do have plenty of good wine originating in the eastern states, from about Massachusetts to South Carolina. Some of them have been around 350 years!

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Also, let's not forget Vinland.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Ge said "good wine" not "wine."

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

misdirectomy posted:

Places where people think Jesus is real.

Sorry I'm so late! This is as close to it as anything. It's counties which meet some (pretty high, obviously) standard for religiosity. Can't remember exactly what it was. Could be more fundamentalists than non-fundamentalists? I found a more detailed map at The Blaze of all places, one which has a MOST objectionable color scheme.

Seriously, blue green RED orange yellow?? That makes sense to you???

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Play posted:

Sorry I'm so late! This is as close to it as anything. It's counties which meet some (pretty high, obviously) standard for religiosity. Can't remember exactly what it was. Could be more fundamentalists than non-fundamentalists? I found a more detailed map at The Blaze of all places, one which has a MOST objectionable color scheme.

Seriously, blue green RED orange yellow?? That makes sense to you???

Social conservative counties.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-clinton-and-donald-trump-duel-over-high-court-and-abortion-1465598759

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Thanks! for telling me the key to my own map :P

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
On a scale, like this, putting red and green next to each other makes sense. That way people who can't distinguish those colors won't radically misinterpret the information.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Countries in Europe mentioning other countries in their anthems

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
What's the Italy-Poland connection?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

HorseRenoir posted:

It looks like an army of exiled Poles helped in part to unify Italy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HorseRenoir posted:

The anthem was written by Poles serving Napoleon in Italy.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
In a few years, England will be in red too :v:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
It's kind of pimping my own work but I just put up the rewrite of Territorial Evolution of the United States that I'd been working on for the last year :stare: a lot of this is politically-loaded, since it's entirely from the U.S. point of view (which will be especially fun if and when I do places like Venezuela)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

TinTower posted:

In a few years, England will be in red too :v:

God save the queen doesn't mention any other countries.

Or indeed do anything worthy of comment.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
How boring is your country if you have to go all the way back to the Carolingian Empire to find something worth singing about?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

HorseRenoir posted:

Polish hymn was written by Poles serving in Italy in exile, and says (paraphrased)"let's go back to Poland and take the country back."

Italian hymn had in the sixth verse a reference to then-current political situation: also paraphrased, "those Austrian jerks keep oppressing us, but we'll kick their rear end like Poland did."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

In retrospect, they probably shouldn't have let the Sex Pistols write their anthem.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Doesn't the Russian anthem still talk about Germany?

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

"Rebellious Scots to crush"?

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

They were probably talking about this verse that used to be in some versions of it:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King/Queen

Should bring it back imo if the Scots keep acting up

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

b0lt posted:

"Rebellious Scots to crush"?

I'm pretty sure Scotland is part of the UK, at least for the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

Doesn't the Russian anthem still talk about Germany?

The 1944 Soviet anthem mentions "invaders", but I am not aware of any explicit mention of Germany in either Russia or even Soviet anthems...