Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hussie, why did you have to explode dear, sweet, precious Fefetasprite on my birthday?

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh my god Gamzee. :allears:

I guffawed out loud when I saw that. It was :3: as gently caress.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Dirk has turned into a David Foster Wallace character. It's hard to read Dirk's self-loathing-schizoid-over-analytical dialogue and not think Hussie's writing it from a pretty personal point of view. :smith:

also,

snucks posted:

It's a distinct possibility that Dirk is too much of a downer to go Trickster.
*fistpump*

snucks fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 23, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

readingatwork posted:

I guffawed out loud when I saw that. It was :3: as gently caress.

Then enjoy the original!
http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002256

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

A good poster posted:

Boy, it sure was a bad idea to try to read that entire Tricksterlog with the music playing in my earphones.

That music makes an amazingly effective alarm clock. It's my new default for when I have to wake up at 4AM for early work shifts.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ubik posted:

That music makes an amazingly effective alarm clock. It's my new default for when I have to wake up at 4AM for early work shifts.

I'd try this but I'm pretty sure I would break my iPod/iPad/whatever out of rage at one point.

(I made the mistake of hitting replay before starting to read the log. Why I didn't go turn the volume off, I have no idea.)

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Trebuchet King posted:

Hussie, why did you have to explode dear, sweet, precious Fefetasprite on my birthday?

Why?

Birthday buddies. :hfive:

Gothic Lolita
Jul 26, 2003

Ad astra per alas porci

Ubik posted:

I want it as my ringtone, where did you find the music file?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Gothic Lolita posted:

I want it as my ringtone, where did you find the music file?

I recorded the audio output from my PC and converted it to an MP3. :v: Pretty sure sharing it here wouldn't be kosher.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I pressed the right key 1111 times.

In other news, I finally bit the bullet and ordered the SBaHJ book, but it looks like they're no longer offering signed copies. I wouldn't have been able to afford a Dave Strider signature anyway. Hopefully one of you lucky dogs can let the rest of us peons bask in its glory when your autographed copy arrives.

VVVV Actually that'd probably be most in keeping with the spirit of SBaHJ. Wouldn't put it past them to say all signed copies have to be signed by the purchaser.

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 23, 2013

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Just write your own Dave Strider signature.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

IUG posted:

I was unaware that you could hold the button down, and also that there was a log under that flash. A lengthy one. I guess that explains why she exploded after all.
Wait, there's a log? :downs: I guess that explains a lot.

In other news I just saw a video interview of Hussie for the first time. I was surprised how nice/normal/shy he seemed compared to his online persona. Also I thought he was ugly in still photos but he's kind of cute in motion?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So this is pretty much the medical definition of depression, huh.

I mean. Y'know, if modern medicine had ever caught up to Bullshit Candy Magic and god willing, some day it will.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

A good poster posted:

Boy, it sure was a bad idea to try to read that entire Tricksterlog with the music playing in my earphones.

On the contrary, I thought listening to it as I read fit the mood of it pretty well.

Especially if one imagines that Trickstermode means everyone around them can actually hear the music. Certainly offers additional reasoning as to why the scenario stressed Fefetasprite enough to make her explode.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think what makes sprite explodes is when their component personalities are forcibly separated. Tavros and Vriska were irreconcilable and spontaneously exploded, but here it was the insistence with which Erisol and ARquius separated her Nepeta and Feferi parts that caused her to explode.

I'd like it if we did get some pages of ghost to ghost discussion between Nepeta and Feferi about what happened and what they're going to do now, like there was with Vriska and Tavros; but knowing Hussie he'd only do that to show them being obliterated by Lord English.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Wow.

This was an update, and it was dense as gently caress in terms of being Great.

Dirk is literally the best character in Homestuck now, i guess!

e: Wait, what if this means that Trickster Mode is just a stupid placebo?

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 23, 2013

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd like it if we did get some pages of ghost to ghost discussion between Nepeta and Feferi about what happened and what they're going to do now, like there was with Vriska and Tavros; but knowing Hussie he'd only do that to show them being obliterated by Lord English.

Before they even get a chance to actually speak, knowing that sprite's track record.

In fact, he'll rig it so that the button that says "Open dialoglog" will just progress it to the next page which contains a rainbow mouth laser flash.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE
Did Dirk just :nyd: about Jake being afraid to dump him after sending a robot to beat him up/grope him, forcing Jake to kiss him, and being clingy afterward?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Dorroile posted:

Wow.

This was an update, and it was dense as gently caress in terms of being Great.

Dirk is literally the best character in Homestuck now, i guess!

Well sugar doesn't actually make kids hyperactive...

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Jazu posted:

Did Dirk just :nyd: about Jake being afraid to dump him after sending a robot to beat him up/grope him, forcing Jake to kiss him, and being clingy afterward?

Dirk's actions were bad, but so were Jake's. They both deserve to be called on it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The most important event of the update that no one has commented upon is that it marks the return of the smug cracker parlor wiggle.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

You know guys, I've been thinking and I wouldn't write Dirk off as entirely "resisting" trickster mode right yet. After all, he just had a lengthy chat with AR about his own failings, but literally the only thing he's done since infection is blame everybody else for his problems. It would be totally in keeping with the theme of false growth and ignoring your problems that Trickster mode has represented.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Dorroile posted:

Well, there's SOMEthing going on here, by virtue of Jane suddenly causing life to erupt on LOCAH and Jake being suddenly able to conjure pumpkins from nothingness. I suspect that the peripheral euphoria is being caused by a placebo effect, but there still seems to be something real at work. Seems like an awful lot of effort for something that has no point, otherwise.

Seoinin posted:

The most important event of the update that no one has commented upon is that it marks the return of the smug cracker parlor wiggle.

Incorrect. The most important event of the update is Jake saying "everybrony".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Given how Dirk's exhibiting traits we've apparently identified as symptoms of depression, I'm not sure whether or not I want Roxy to move into the idea of 'hey guys let's kill ourselves' like we also guessed.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Given how Dirk's exhibiting traits we've apparently identified as symptoms of depression, I'm not sure whether or not I want Roxy to move into the idea of 'hey guys let's kill ourselves' like we also guessed.

Well, he's already killed himself once, anyway, so i don't see why that is much of a bridge to cross.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Feranon posted:

Eridan and Equius are resposible for Feferi and Nepeta's deaths.... again :smith:

Poor, dear, sweet, precious, sweet Fefeta :(

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey now, they're only responsible for sweet, dear, precious Fefeta's death. Meanwhile those boring schlubs Feferi and Nepeta get to live once more.

I mean have you NOT watched Star Trek Voyager?

cloudy music
Aug 23, 2008

Jazu posted:

Did the robot actually molest him, or is this another case of people who secretly enjoy triggering material reading too much into a webcomic to find rape that just isn't there? Like they did when Cronus was rudely touching Mituna's shoulder. Cronus is god-awful but come on he wasn't grabbing Mituna's junk. As for Dirk he's amazing and you are a oval office if you think otherwise.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

cloudy music posted:

Did the robot actually molest him, or is this another case of people who secretly enjoy triggering material reading too much into a webcomic to find rape that just isn't there? Like they did when Cronus was rudely touching Mituna's shoulder. Cronus is god-awful but come on he wasn't grabbing Mituna's junk. As for Dirk he's amazing and you are a oval office if you think otherwise.

Did you just ignore how Mituna reacted to Cronus then?

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

King of Solomon posted:

Did you just ignore how Mituna reacted to Cronus then?

To be fair, the guy's typing quirk is incomprehensible. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to work out exactly what he was saying once I thought I had the jist.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Fargo Fukes posted:

To be fair, the guy's typing quirk is incomprehensible. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to work out exactly what he was saying once I thought I had the jist.

It was along the lines of STOP TOUCHING ME WHY ARE YOU STILL TOUCHING ME PLEASE STOP TOUCHING ME which indicates that Cronus crossed the line from absolutely inappropriate to abusive. Don't let your lack of reading comprehension fool you.

And Jake described Brobot's wrestling as unusually tender and explicitly said it makes him uncomfortable. This isn't over-analyzing context, this is the intended loving message of the narrative.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nephthys posted:

Dirk's actions were bad, but so were Jake's. They both deserve to be called on it.

Okay, this may not be intentional but holy poo poo you are presenting those two things as equal? Dirk's actions were sexual assault by proxy, all of Jake's stupidity combined doesn't come close to that.

On that topic, Dirk still hasn't been called on that bullshit beyond AR laying open the real reasons for it all to Dirk, who in usual Dirk fashion ignored it and pretended it was a good thing to do.

Plom Bar posted:

And Jake described Brobot's wrestling as unusually tender and explicitly said it makes him uncomfortable. This isn't over-analyzing context, this is the intended loving message of the narrative.

Not to mention that, when he brought that up and begged for it to stop, instead of the robot being turned off it was put into Hard Mode, so instead of getting "tender" with Jake it beat him the gently caress up. That's also a thing that happened. As did a conversation between Dirk and AR where it was explicitly stated that the Dirkbot was a ploy to get Jake to think about him as more than a friend. We've got a robot that had no settings for Jake to choose from besides "tender" and "unstoppable death machine", and that was outright stated to be meant to make Jake change his goddamned sexuality so he could date Dirk, because Dirk "always gets what he wants", and the whole thing made me feel physically ill.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Brobot was creepy as poo poo, but hey, at least it made venturing into the woods a little more adventurous!

vvv: Yeah, that alone makes it all worth it.

Freak Futanari fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 23, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Jake getting the poo poo beaten out of him was hilarious, though.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
It's not Dirk's fault Jake English wasn't STRONG enough to defeat a robot, really, what kind of adventure-having action hero does he think he is?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I thought it was implied that the AR had been subtly altering Dirk's plans or even wholesale inventing new ones. Like the brobot probably acted differently than how Dirk originally envisioned but he never knew just how bad it got because AR screened his calls. Or maybe I made that up?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Glad to see the thread has now moved on to "Dirk is a rapist" chat. 5.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
If Vriska mind-controlled Dirk, would this thread just get pre-emptively closed?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

I thought it was implied that the AR had been subtly altering Dirk's plans or even wholesale inventing new ones. Like the brobot probably acted differently than how Dirk originally envisioned but he never knew just how bad it got because AR screened his calls. Or maybe I made that up?

The whole point of the Dirk/AR exchange just prior to ARquius' emergence was to establish that the distinction of where Dirk's designs ended and AR's began was, at best, muddy. Their end goals were essentially the same because they were essentially the same dude and they were both capable of setting complex machinations in motion to execute those plans, and the end result was that Jake got a double-dose of Dirk when a single shot was more than sufficient. So, yes, AR did alter some of Dirk's overall plans, but it was in pursuit of the same ends and it's difficult, if not impossible, to determine precisely how much is AR's doing and how much Dirk would have done anyway if left to his own devices.

Also, AR didn't start screening conversations from Dirk until after the chronological start of Act 6 Act 1, maybe even Act 6 Act 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

code:
NEPETA: :33 < :((
FEFERI: 38(