Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
ok whew, i was honestly confused at first. i'm not a mechanic even though i managed to pull the engine completely apart by myself with minimal to no damage. The stock pistons are fine for stock tuned vehicles, which this is. had zero ringland or ring issues on the actual pistons themselved, they looked pretty damned good for the 100k lifespan of this engine, and looked piston shaped with no ring land issues. also none of the anything was sorted by cylinder. so all the wrist pins cylinders and rods are just in a giant gay pile. but this simple statement of your correction lets me know what i should be doing to move forward with the rebuild process. loving awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

i own every Bionicle posted:

Nevermind it has broken ringlands

how does it have broken ringlands if it runs fine and is stock? a compression test doesn't tell you what is borked it just says there is a problem in a specific spot, that would have minimal to no effects on the clutch/transmission system that probably needs replaced or strongly fingered. two seperate parts of the over all system in my eyes

by no means is this a why aren't you buying it. if its unfit then noone needs another parts car in their inventory, is a legitimate question on how this was determined. I'm still learning is all.

Munkeylord fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 9, 2020

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Munkeylord posted:

how does it have broken ringlands if it runs fine and is stock? a compression test doesn't tell you what is borked it just says there is a problem in a specific spot, that would have minimal to no effects on the clutch/transmission system that probably needs replaced or strongly fingered. two seperate parts of the over all system in my eyes

by no means is this a why aren't you buying it. if its unfit then noone needs another parts car in their inventory, is a legitimate question on how this was determined. I'm still learning is all.

So after a first test drive that felt promising minus the clutch I picked it up yesterday, took it to my shop and put it on my lift to look at it more closely. On the drive over I figured out that the issue with the clutch is just that it’s worn pretty badly and needs to be replaced. The engagement point is high which is why it’s hard to modulate. It doesn’t slip so it would have lasted through the winter to when it would have been convenient to change it.

The car looked passable underneath, some rust in a few areas but not too bad. But I checked the fluids and it was waaaaaaay the gently caress down on oil with the last change marked on the windshield sticker at 2900 miles ago. The dipstick was loving dry until I put two quarts in. There was some oiliness on the exhaust as well. Zero oil leaks on the engine, even the valve cover gaskets, so it’s not going there. So it is either using a quart of oil every thousand miles and the guy didn’t check it or he did check it and it uses more and he forgot or the oil change place only half filled it.

Yeah, I don’t know for sure what caused such a low oil level. Maybe the pistons are fine and it’s something else. But I didn’t have time at that moment to do a compression and leakdown test, and the car was priced what I would consider the upper end of fair if it had no real issues, so the clutch and low oil level were enough to make me walk.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Lots of stock 2.5 turbos break ringlands. In many of those cases you don't even notice anything other than it goes through a little oil. But subaru's allowable consumption is a huge and ridiculous amount, probably so they can say "we're not going to do a leakdown or compression check because going through a quart every 1000 miles is totally normal!" And then a few years later when you start throwing misfire codes and burning even more oil, oh sorry it's out of warranty.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of the reasons why I got rid of my '11 WRX is in the last year of ownership oil consumption went up dramatically. For most of the time I owned it, it consumed a non-measurable amount of oil between changes. Then suddenly it started consuming a quart every 3k miles or so. I took that as a warning that something wasn't quite right in ringland and made it someone else's problem.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My '10 Outback 3.6 H6 exhaust is smelling a bit gassy esp. after startup on cooler mornings.

What do?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Wasabi the J posted:

My '10 Outback 3.6 H6 exhaust is smelling a bit gassy esp. after startup on cooler mornings.

What do?

Smells like gasoline? Any CEL or codes? Does it run the same? If it runs rough for a minute but then clears up it could be a leaky injector, which should be fixed as unburnt fuel in the cylinders will wash oil off of the cylinder walls and can lead to lots of wear/scoring, especially on a boxer. It will also cause the oil to smell like gas.

If it’s a catalytic converter it should throw a CEL/code.

If it’s an exhaust leak pre-cat you should hear it.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
I was expecting broken ringlands when I took mine apart. It was consuming about a quart a week, more so if I hit it hard. But there weren't any when I tore the engine apart, there was some minor scratches in the cylinders. Maybe a combination of head gaskets and other various issues boxer engines have and such. There was one scratch that was deep enough from me to run my finger nail across and stop it. It definitely looks like at one point in its life it was running dry on oil from all the other evidence shown from the crank. But from the way I bought it till at about 115k it ran fine and had power minus the oil consumption issue with the occasional I can't find the throttle and would go into limp mode or hold at 2k rpm while going 90 mph down the highway. Which is probably a grounding/wiring issue. But I thought it threw a rod. If I had replaced the timing belt it would still be running strongly, guzzling oil though.

I havent taken the heads in yet to get inspected or cleaned up, I do imagine they also contributed. With some of the evidence in the cylinders. I fear taking the valves out! The intake and everything past the bpv has oil coating or oil pools where it could pool up. I bought this sti with 44k on it in 2016. Owner said it sat in his garage for 6 years never started. I put like almost 70k on it in 3 years. probably rotted out somewhere along the line as it is an 05 and completely stock (allegedly). But grateful I bought the car, as I was never mechanically inclined before

I'm not ready to give up the car at all as it's very fun to drive. And I'm extremely curious as to how any why it managed to end up engine less in my driveway.

P.s. I forgot to mention that every single banjo bolt oil screen was completely intact and free of debris, so there wasnt anything that solidly ran through the engine to do what it did imo. But maybe it is just what mine did? I am considering iron sleeves just to give the cylinders some extra strength from wear and tear. But adiabatic and the rest of you were right lmao. Misery and despair!

Munkeylord fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 11, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Smells like gasoline? Any CEL or codes? Does it run the same? If it runs rough for a minute but then clears up it could be a leaky injector, which should be fixed as unburnt fuel in the cylinders will wash oil off of the cylinder walls and can lead to lots of wear/scoring, especially on a boxer. It will also cause the oil to smell like gas.

If it’s a catalytic converter it should throw a CEL/code.

If it’s an exhaust leak pre-cat you should hear it.

No codes. Smells kind of like oil and gas mixed. Runs really well, idle has always been a little rumbly but I know the trans mounts are worn out and doesn't happen when in motion.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The gas smell in the morning could be the rich idle used to warm up the catalytic converter for emissions purposes. You smell it more when it's cold because the cat works less in colder temps. Happened to my WRX in cold mornings before I changed the exhaust and got a tune. Now I just smell gas all the time!

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

Wasabi the J posted:

No codes. Smells kind of like oil and gas mixed. Runs really well, idle has always been a little rumbly but I know the trans mounts are worn out and doesn't happen when in motion.

car is fine my fellow breathren. give it a cold start and release the fumes. MMMMMMMMM

you owe me 256 mb of butts

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They were confiscated by ice t and now I just stream butts

Fuckin civil forfeiture

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Back in October my WRX had the throw out bearing replaced as it fell under the TSB that was open for the squeaking clutch. Two months later and the squeak is starting to come back a little bit. Is this a case of usual Subaru weird noises or something more severe?
I haven't exactly been putting on miles since the replacement and not been driving much different than before. Am I clutching in too hard and messing it up or something? I feel like a car on stock power shouldn't be running into these sort of weird issues and am tempted to see what they'd give me to buy it back.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I feel like I need someone to talk me down from going to an AEM Infinity 506 ECU on my 04 wrx wagon build.
2004 EJ257 (single AVCS) with Mahle pistons, 3MI M300 Rods, EFR 6758 on a full STI driveline.
I dont have access to E85 so Im planning on trying to stay some what conservative and targeting 350-400whp but Id really like to be able to use the AVCS to spread out that powerband a little. I havent found any good solutions. From my research its either standalone or re wire the majority of the car, and get a poo poo load of STI parts, like ECU, immobilizer, engine harness, body harness, gauges, and maybe more. The AEM would come from a friend who's an AEM dealer/subaru shop so id be around a grand deep into it with a patch harness. Goals for the car are just to be a fun weekend car with maybe occasional road trips.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Sadi posted:

I feel like I need someone to talk me down from going to an AEM Infinity 506 ECU on my 04 wrx wagon build.
2004 EJ257 (single AVCS) with Mahle pistons, 3MI M300 Rods, EFR 6758 on a full STI driveline.
I dont have access to E85 so Im planning on trying to stay some what conservative and targeting 350-400whp but Id really like to be able to use the AVCS to spread out that powerband a little. I havent found any good solutions. From my research its either standalone or re wire the majority of the car, and get a poo poo load of STI parts, like ECU, immobilizer, engine harness, body harness, gauges, and maybe more. The AEM would come from a friend who's an AEM dealer/subaru shop so id be around a grand deep into it with a patch harness. Goals for the car are just to be a fun weekend car with maybe occasional road trips.

Could you use a JDM EJ205 ECU from 01-04 and add the wiring with an iWire kit? Swapping a Forester XT ECU is pretty much the same hassle as STI right?

In any case it sounds like a cool car and project so keep us updated.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Anyone have any input on low profile mud flaps, as well as window vent covers for a 2016 WRX?

I was looking at these Rally Armor flaps, and wondering if the Subaru OEM window vents are the best ones out there. It doesn't seem like Lund/AVS even makes any for the car.

http://www.rallyarmor.com/product_info.php/urethane-mud-flaps-2015-subaru-wrx-sti-black-mud-flap-red-logo-p-1078

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

bull3964 posted:

One of the reasons why I got rid of my '11 WRX is in the last year of ownership oil consumption went up dramatically. For most of the time I owned it, it consumed a non-measurable amount of oil between changes. Then suddenly it started consuming a quart every 3k miles or so. I took that as a warning that something wasn't quite right in ringland and made it someone else's problem.

My car has been doing that for the past 10k miles, it's fine.

(countdown until I get stranded in the middle of nowhere, eastern plains, CO).

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Grandmas 06 forester 2.5 is apparently leaking oil and coolant from the head-gasket, had a look and couldn't find any milkshake. She is extremely old and hardly drives anywhere (well my uncle drives her but he takes the train). Given less than frequent use would it be worth immediately getting an engine put in at the dealer cost of 5kaud or is it something that can be monitored and taken care of at a later date. It is also just come due for a timing belt, would the engine in that car be interference? i would extremely like the car to not explode because i have dibs on it as a daily because it is goddamn mint and has under 100 thousand ks on it

also: can i get a recommendation for a good subaru mechanic in melbourne australia?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I really want to get a BRZ but it's too expensive new and I'm afraid to buy a used one because I just figure that the previous owner probably thrashed it.

Is this true or not? I feel like a knucklehead could ruin one of those in 30k miles pretty easily.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

64bit_Dophins posted:

I really want to get a BRZ but it's too expensive new and I'm afraid to buy a used one because I just figure that the previous owner probably thrashed it.

Is this true or not? I feel like a knucklehead could ruin one of those in 30k miles pretty easily.

I have looked for one for a little bit and came to the conclusion that it’s best to find a really nice one and pay the extra for it. There seems to be a price floor for them so that no matter how beat they are they will always bring at least 10-12k as long as the title is clean. Half the car still brings 75% of the money.

With that said the new version is coming out so there may be some deals on the old one, both new and used, so it makes a lot of sense to wait for it.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

big dong wanter posted:

Grandmas 06 forester 2.5 is apparently leaking oil and coolant from the head-gasket, had a look and couldn't find any milkshake. She is extremely old and hardly drives anywhere (well my uncle drives her but he takes the train). Given less than frequent use would it be worth immediately getting an engine put in at the dealer cost of 5kaud or is it something that can be monitored and taken care of at a later date. It is also just come due for a timing belt, would the engine in that car be interference? i would extremely like the car to not explode because i have dibs on it as a daily because it is goddamn mint and has under 100 thousand ks on it

also: can i get a recommendation for a good subaru mechanic in melbourne australia?

5k is cheaper than what I would have thought... that includes labour?

I got recommended Cromwood Auto Service by a Subaru friend. I only got a ppi done but they did a very thorough job. I’d go back but they are pretty far from me. The dealership in essendon has been good sometimes and horrible to deal with at others. If you need parts the docklands dealership have an eBay store with cheaper pricing sometimes.

If you’re inner or northern suburbs I’d be happy to help out a fellow goon. I just did the timing belt on my 2.5l 05 Impreza with the gracious help from others in this thread and it’s been working great.

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 26, 2020

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

EZ30
2005 Outback

CEL just came on, steady not blinking
Engine doesn't seem to be in limp mode, drives normal
Traction control (steady light) and cruise control (blinking) forced off
No AWD light on though

Idles as before, low and steady
Doesn't smell of fuel

I'm planning to get a proper code reader but for now, I read there was a diagnostic mode inbuilt?

quote:

How to Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes on 2005 thru 2009 Subaru Legacy and Outback

The 2005 thru 2009 model year Legacy and Outback can display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) directly on the dashboard. No scan tool is needed. No jumper wires are required, and it is not necessary to count blinking lights. The codes are displayed in plain text on the instrument cluster.

Trouble codes from the ECM (Engine Control Module), TCM (Transmission Control Module) and ABSCM/VDCCM (ABS or VDC Control Module) are displayed.

This procedure was distilled from the FSM. The English translation in the FSM is not very good, so I have attempted to make it easier to follow. The FSM has this procedure in the Body Section, Instrument/Driver Information, Combination Meter System chapter.

Some notes before starting:

- I believe this procedure will work for all 2005 to 2009 Legacys and Outbacks. However, I have only tested the procedure on a 2005 Legacy 2.5i 4EAT and a 2008 Legacy GT 5EAT.

- I don't know of a way to reset the codes without a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery may or may not work.

- Exactly what you will see depends on what type of display your car has. 

The Procedure

Starting condition: key off, headlight switch off.

Steps 1 through 7 must be performed within 10 seconds.

1. Turn key to ON position. This is the normal running position, the click just before starting, when all the lights on the dash come on, but before you twist to START. Don't start the engine!

2. Within 3 seconds, turn the headlight switch ON.

3. Press the Trip/Odometer button 4 times.

4. Turn the headlight switch OFF.

5. Press the Trip/Odometer button 4 times.

6. Turn headlight swtich ON.

7. Press Trip/Odometer button 4 times. At this point, the DTC display will begin.

8. Turn headlight switch OFF. Not necessary for the procedure, but your display may be dimmed and hard to read in bright sunlight. Besides, why drain the battery?

The DTCs for each module will display in order: ECM, TCM, ABSCM/VDCCM. Press the Trip/Odometer button to cycle between modules. The FSM states that the display will cycle between modules automatically every three seconds if the button is not pushed, but that did not happen in my car - I had to push the button to cycle the display.

For each module, there are three display states:
- Receiving DTC from module (blinking "P" or "C")
- DTC detected & displayed ("P" or "C" followed by 4 digits)
- No DTC found ("P" or "C" followed by "----")

If there is a CAN (Controller Area Network) bus communication error, you will see only "----" in the display. Basically, that means that the network in your car is broken. That will need to be repaired before anything else can be done.

Notes

- TCM error codes will not be displayed for cars with manual transmissions. The TCM display state will remain in "Receiving DTC" (blinking "P" on display). In my case, my car is an automatic, but the blinking "P" remained, possibly because I have no codes set.

- To cancel the DTC display, turn the key to OFF.

- If the engine is started, the DTC display will remain until the car starts to move. (I did not test this)

- Past DTCs that have been repaired will be displayed until the engine is started 3 times. (I did not test this)

Mine isn't a manual.

I can't get the above procedure to work though.
Any tips?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 27, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

simplefish posted:

EZ30
2005 Outback

CEL just came on, steady not blinking
Engine doesn't seem to be in limp mode, drives normal
Traction control (steady light) and cruise control (blinking) forced off
No AWD light on though

Idles as before, low and steady
Doesn't smell of fuel

I'm planning to get a proper code reader but for now, I read there was a diagnostic mode inbuilt?

Mine isn't a manual.

I can't get the above procedure to work though.
Any tips?

Pretty much what I think you would be expecting to hear - A ODB2 scanner and save the hassle because reading codes off the dash is a PITA IF it works at all. I'm not aware of any special set of cheat codes for an auto.

Whats your location? I might know someone close with one

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Thanks, that's a kind offer but I've been meaning to get a proper scan tool for a while.

I have a bluetooth OBD2 dongle which was good enough to see how useful it can be to read codes.

The phone I paired with it is dead now and I'm done farting about with free apps. And if I'm gonna pay for an app, I'll just as well pay for the real thing

It was more about getting the dash codes to show because when something should work and doesn't I always wanna find out why.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

I bought a 2017 with 30,000 km on it and it's been pretty much fine. Needed new tires because the previous owner did a bunch of serious burnouts before trading it in for a Jaguar F-Type, but other than that, great condition.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

I have looked for one for a little bit and came to the conclusion that it’s best to find a really nice one and pay the extra for it. There seems to be a price floor for them so that no matter how beat they are they will always bring at least 10-12k as long as the title is clean. Half the car still brings 75% of the money.

With that said the new version is coming out so there may be some deals on the old one, both new and used, so it makes a lot of sense to wait for it.

Kazinsal posted:

I bought a 2017 with 30,000 km on it and it's been pretty much fine. Needed new tires because the previous owner did a bunch of serious burnouts before trading it in for a Jaguar F-Type, but other than that, great condition.

Yeah my plan was to find one that was more "pre-owned" than "used". I feel like 30k miles would be the most I would be willing to go with a high compression motor like that.

I'm glad to hear that you had a good experience buying one used. I for sure would never pay over 25k for one of these honestly. I just think the car is super overpriced new for what it is.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Everything new is overpriced for what it is.

See: every pickup truck and SUV. Lol @ $40k 2 door jeep wranglers that come from the factory under recall.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Everything new is overpriced for what it is.

See: every pickup truck and SUV. Lol @ $40k 2 door jeep wranglers that come from the factory under recall.

The funny thing is, that's a ridiculously cheap price where I'm from and you'd be mad not to spring for an offer like that if you saw it, because they'd never run it again

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I remember when you could buy a base model 6cyl for like, $14k new. Ah the 90s/00s. poo poo is just bloat now. And it's Chrysler so you know it will come with steering problems, electrical gremlins, and the cheapest possible materials for an interior at a high end leather price. Also no straight 6 for like, 15 years now.

People buying those lumps of poo poo deserve what they overpay for.

But I'm sure they say the similar things when a Subaru lets a head gasket go in front of them.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Where I live in Georgia, used cars are super overpriced too.

I figure it's because a lot of people up north come down here to buy used cars, but every used car I see seems to be grossly overpriced.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, same out here out west. It's why I bought a hail damaged Outback outright, thinking I got a good deal, then having to replace the engine. Still came out cheaper than buying a non-hail damaged one with a manual, those fuckers are scarce after about 2010. I don't care that it looks golf ball-ish, I have the title, gently caress making car payments ever again.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Pretty much what I think you would be expecting to hear - A ODB2 scanner and save the hassle because reading codes off the dash is a PITA IF it works at all. I'm not aware of any special set of cheat codes for an auto.

Whats your location? I might know someone close with one

Solved it!

In behind the dash by the fuse panel there are 2 white plugs (one designed to lock into another), ome with a pale green wire one with a black and yellow wire.
For future reference, I have a JDM import.

Dashboard tells me P0051

Which is an 02 sensor
Which is funny because I had the same code this exact time last year on a different car (Toyota V6)

That car went into limp mode and driving (throttle response and idle) was definitely affected.
My Outback runs fine.

Is clearing the codes just a case of disconnecting the battery for a bit?
There are C codes in the diagnostic screen as well (I have no C codes) - are they different to clear?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 28, 2020

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Disconnected the battery for 30 mins
Reconnected

Turned on but not engine start
Waited for sweep and lights and noises to settle
CEL cleared

Engine on
CEL instantly back

Just letting it relearn idle now

It's gonna need a new O2 sensor, right?
Is it doing any harm driving without one until then?

I'm several hundred miles away from home and tools.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It might cause some fluctuation in the air-fuel ratio, but should be fine to drive for a while. I know I've ignored them entirely in the past on old Ford pickups and maybe got 1mpg worse mileage.

At some point everyone started using multiple O2 sensors. Before and after cat is common. Simple open end wrench should get it off but expect them to be seized with rust. You can try cleaning and reinstalling it, but O2 sensors aren't prohibitively expensive or difficult to change, so swapping however many there are at once isn't a terrible idea. Use anti-seize, in case you ever need to remove them again.

Also check the wiring, could just have a tear in some insulation grounding out somewhere, throwing the code. They usually read around 450 mV iirc, so anything too far from that will cause the code.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 28, 2020

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah I checked the mileage with the dash display, looks fine. Sounds like it's running normal too. - or was before the relearn at least. Idles fine but haven't test driven it.

Yeah there's a before and after.

Head gasket went a while ago so I'm guessing the coolant in the exhaust fouled the sensor.

There's no point in checking the fuse if the other O2 sensor codes aren't showing, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The engine will run rich as it goes back to default maps in the worst case. It shouldnt overfuel in such a way that it washes oil off the bores - but your fuel economy will noticably worsen. If it's going over/undervoltage the ECU should work with what it's got -but if it's really unhappy it'll just fall back to the default maps which are rich and I think the timing is dropped back to safeguard as well.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Ah right, thanks guys

Yeah I've taken it for a test drive now, seems the same as before really, doesn't smell of fuel or anything (which it does on cold morning starts - warm at the moment though)

Pulling away from lights it might be a bit weak? But then I'm being really gentle with it so probably just that.

I've looked up O2 sensor swaps on this and it seems much easier than the Toyota 1MZFE I did. Hopefully the sensor doesn't separate like last time and leave half of itself in the exhaust!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I'm in need of a roof rack for my 2009 WRX 5-door with hardpoints, and I need it to hold a rocketbox with skis. Looks like there's OEM subaru versions available for ~$150, or aftermarket Yakima/Thule systems for $500+.

Is there any reason to go with the aftermarket option? Are the "OEM" parts I'm seeing actually no-name crap? It's enough of a cost difference to make me worry that the low-priced models are complete poo poo but old posts on other forums seem to have had OK results - if those same models are what's being sold today.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
OEM are fine. They used to be made by Yakima, but switched to Thule at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Rad, thanks!