Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

SEX BURRITO posted:

The GBS Maddie thread was insane. Didn't it go on for about 4 years?

Somewhere the editor of the Daily Express makes a derisive snort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So rewatching League Of Gentleman and Psychoville on the Netflix, for the most part League hasn't aged too badly (I don't like the bad Vet bits, are they too grim or am I soft now?) but out the two I think Psychoville for the most part has aged a lot better.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SeanBeansShako posted:

So rewatching League Of Gentleman and Psychoville on the Netflix, for the most part League hasn't aged too badly (I don't like the bad Vet bits, are they too grim or am I soft now?) but out the two I think Psychoville for the most part has aged a lot better.

They are fairly bleak, but I'll still laugh like an idiot at the turtle and the compressed air.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I do like at the end of League everyone (mostly) gets a happy ending.

Is the movie worth tracking down?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Doubtful Guest posted:

Isn't it run by a goon? I recognised a couple of user names and the Baby/Stupid Newbie thing is familiar.

No Neil Bomb'd is not a goon(as far as I know). I think the baby avatars thing is just a coincidence.

It's supposed to be a a Chris Morris Fan Forum but as he hasn't done anything for about eight years, it's mainly just middle-aged men with depressions discussing old comedy and arguing about the impending Conservapocalypse. Used to be a lot more active on the creative side with internet radio, podcasts and so on but that's gone a bit quiet since people got jobs, babies, etc and have less time for dicking around.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I do like at the end of League everyone (mostly) gets a happy ending.

Is the movie worth tracking down?

I love the movie but it's a peculiar thing. Self-indulgent. If you love League you'll probably enjoy it.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

SeanBeansShako posted:

I enjoyed rewatching League but wasn't too keen on season three. Maybe it was for the same reason you disliked the vet sketches, it became too grotesque and mean-spirited. It seems like other people loved the season though so maybe I just didn't get it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah I feel the final series was the weakest one, I did like the more solid storyline thing they had going but christ that whole episode with the handyman doing tugjobs for the massage parlour was well, just soul crushingly mean.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
RIP Catweazle

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I finally got round to watching a Taskmaster episode last night. Holy poo poo it is just as good as you were all saying.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It is my favourite show at the moment. It is so funny there are times when I laugh that I do a little double breath and choke a bit.

It's fantastic.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

thehustler posted:

It is my favourite show at the moment. It is so funny there are times when I laugh that I do a little double breath and choke a bit.

It's fantastic.

Series 3 was probably the worst but they've pulled it back a lot with 4. The mix wasn't great on 3 unfortunately.

Also Mindhorn really was a 70% sort of film. The plot is quite predictable but it's still funny.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Without moving the fish bowls.

I too would have failed the chocolate clause

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Taear posted:

Series 3 was probably the worst but they've pulled it back a lot with 4. The mix wasn't great on 3 unfortunately.

I'm glad there's two women this time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I live outside the UK and - 70% or not - was a little disappointed about missing Mindhorn, since it's so niche it probably wouldn't find a distributor, and especially since I was in Ireland only the week before it started and even saw posters around. But now Netflix has picked it up outside the UK. If that's the new way of the home video world, I embrace it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did anyone see the King Charles III tv movie on the BBC the other day? Was it any good? I haven't seen it but I've heard the late Tim Piggott-Smith was very good in it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

thehustler posted:

It's fantastic.

That first episode where Romesh Ranganathan just launched that watermelon into the ground nearly killed me. That was when I knew it was something special.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

McDragon posted:

That first episode where Romesh Ranganathan just launched that watermelon into the ground nearly killed me. That was when I knew it was something special.

Oh Jesus Christ :lol:

https://youtu.be/ISIsdLS0lzY

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

McDragon posted:

Series 1 has been the stand out. I think they just had the right group of comedians for it.

Although I'm loving Mel in this one because she's so absolutely bizzare.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did anyone see the King Charles III tv movie on the BBC the other day? Was it any good? I haven't seen it but I've heard the late Tim Piggott-Smith was very good in it.

It's pretty good, but it feels like it was written by two people who didn't talk much. It's in iambic pentameter, and while some of the scenes sound natural a lot of the time the characters awkwardly backwards do talk.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Taear posted:

Series 1 has been the stand out. I think they just had the right group of comedians for it.

I've realised I never caught on the first series. I assume Roisin stays as useless as she is in the first episode?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've started on it, and will probably finish as a end-of-marking-this-batch-of-exams treat. I had to stop after about 10 minutes when the same actor who plays Harry in the Channel 4 satire showed up in this one as Harry. I keep expecting Morgana Robinson as Pippa (or 'Pahppah' as Bants pronounces it in The Windsors) to hove into view.

Is there some sort of edict out of Buckingham Palace that William must be depicted with a full head of hair in every dramatisation?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Taear posted:

I love how it never feels like put-upon weirdness. She seems to exist in this constant state of "well it made sense at the time", which is exactly where Taskmaster shines.

Also Hugh Dennis always finding the loophole in the challenges.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I love how it never feels like put-upon weirdness. She seems to exist in this constant state of "well it made sense at the time", which is exactly where Taskmaster shines.

Yep. Roisin was the same, it's absolutely great.

In other news, BBC News twitter just ruined the final of Masterchef for me. That's so frustrating and now i don't feel like I should watch it.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Taskmaster series 1 def had the best group of comedians

Also it seems they increasingly set up tasks for visual gags. For me the funny bits are comedians trying to do things either well or badly and then making me laff while doing it because they're funny people.

I don't want to see Noel Fielding imagine himself as small banana with a crappy camera effect to achieve it.

It's dirty birdyism.

If you'd like to know what I mean by 'dirty birdyism', quote this part of my post.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

If you'd like to know what I mean by 'dirty birdyism', quote this part of my post.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

You may or may not remember the great Stephen King book Misery and the even greater movie by the same name.

In it, there's a character called Annie who quickly reveals herself to be insane. One way this is achieved is by her telling the story of how she'd go to the movies to watch movie shorts, and one episode enraged her because while at the end of the previous one the main protagonist appeared to die by being driven from a cliff, but at the start of the next one they just said it didn't happen.

So they just made up a bit of the story and she called them - and other people - 'Dirty Birdies'.

Some years later my wife would complain about Top Gear, saying that the stuff they did with cars - such as one time they appeared to launch a caravan - was fake in a show that's supposed to be 'real'. I replied that it's entertainment and they can do what they like. This made her cross so I asked if she thought they were 'dirty birdies' - both to describe what they are, but also to suggest my wife is touched in the head to be bothered by it.

And so here we are. Taskmaster is resorting to Dirty Birdyism by using visual gags to replace what should be practical tasks and challenges.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Taear posted:

Yep. Roisin was the same, it's absolutely great.

In other news, BBC News twitter just ruined the final of Masterchef for me. That's so frustrating and now i don't feel like I should watch it.

Yep, same thing happened to me. Very annoying, especially as they keep doing this.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

never change pissflaps

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Taskmaster series 1 def had the best group of comedians

Also it seems they increasingly set up tasks for visual gags. For me the funny bits are comedians trying to do things either well or badly and then making me laff while doing it because they're funny people.

I don't want to see Noel Fielding imagine himself as small banana with a crappy camera effect to achieve it.

It's dirty birdyism.

That task annoyed me - the task was they had 10 minutes to hide, there is no way that guy managed to get all of those identical outfits and the people to arrive in 10 mins.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mr Beens posted:

That task annoyed me - the task was they had 10 minutes to hide, there is no way that guy managed to get all of those identical outfits and the people to arrive in 10 mins.

It's bullshit isn't it.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, that banana thing was bullshit even if it did make me laugh. The door was better

Lemon
May 22, 2003

The camoflage thing was pretty dumb but otherwise the series has been pretty legit this far.

Also why can't I find a clip anywhere of Joe Wilkinson throwing a potato into a hole?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

How had I not heard of Taskmaster before, it's brilliant. I love that the series 1 winner is Josh by the one point he got for the bullshit counting tasks.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 14, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Could you spoiler that please not everyone has watched it yet.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

Could you spoiler that please not everyone has watched it yet.

It aired 3 years ago.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
And there are multiple people in this thread saying how they're just starting to watch it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mr Beens posted:

It aired 3 years ago.

I just watched that episode last night.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was actually pondering whether to spoiler that or not for a bit before posting. In the end I didn't think who wins a panel show would be much of a deal, but that's fair enough. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

My Lovely Horse posted:

Was actually pondering whether to spoiler that or not for a bit before posting. In the end I didn't think who wins a panel show would be much of a deal, but that's fair enough. :)

Pissflaps takes spoilers extremely seriously and his wife is a dirty birdy