Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Its amazing what can be done with a fresh pair of eyes in an ORG. There were so many small things they were living with that were incredibly easy to fix with some basic knowledge of systems. Shadowcopies is the new voodoo magic of the day. Tomorrow is going to be saml.

I am trying to ease them into next week when some 2 line powershell scripts that are going to blow up their reality. It really is incredible how incredibly soft the IT industry, despite the amount of people in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

SeaborneClink posted:

traceroute bad.horse is gonna gently caress them up too

Did 216.81.59.173 stop working? :smith:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sepist posted:

How do guys with 20 years in the industry not know how to read a traceroute? 7 hops, 4 of them are 70ms+ because it's a cross country MPLS connection. He thinks they are additive and it's 320ms (80ms x 4 hops) from the MPLS router at the far end to the Voip gateway at the far end.

"Hop 4 is showing 100% loss that's why you can't connect :gonk:"

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Thanks Ants posted:

"Hop 4 is showing 100% loss that's why you can't connect :gonk:"

loving triggered

Edit: I can finish my traceroute with windows but not linux, is the firewall blocking linux? :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"My RDP session is slow and this router along the way drops pings sometimes, FIX THE NETWORK!"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
This conversation is triggering the gently caress out of me.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This conversation is triggering the gently caress out of me.

That's because of the network.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
What do you mean I can't connect to a database server using my phone as a wifi hotspot with 1 bar?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Hey - the network is slow. Just wanted to let you know. Well, bye!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Hey - the network is slow. Just wanted to let you know. Well, bye!

Could you check the server?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The update you guys did broke my thing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Some of our clients love to ping stuff randomly as a "test" and then demand we fix the fact that they drop a single packet (that doesn't even go through our equipment) and poo poo like that, it's.. annoying, I hope to one day grace the new job world and have a Varg attitude for a few weeks.

Also, lol someone just done hosed up and sent out a bunch of peoples pay (one of our clients did this) then mashed the recall message button, I am chuckling.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's been my experience that application developers will attempt to foist as much blame onto the network team as possible until they can un-gently caress whatever stupid change they made.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

I've had to deal with weird poo poo like "hm my desk phone has been acting up donyou think it has to do with the email migration?"
"Hey this document I'm printing from SAP is formatted in a way I don't like, probably because of the email migration"

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

psydude posted:

It's been my experience that application developers will attempt to foist as much blame onto the network team as possible until they can un-gently caress whatever stupid change they made.

And the network people, despite having done a firewall migration 24 hours prior will swear up and down that the fact that 2/3rds of the office can no longer access the SAN that they dropped a firewall in front of is complete coincidence.

When the user reporting the no connectivity issue says "it works fine if I connect via VPN though" they will then get the condescending wrath of the VP of Network Eng who will again adamantly deny that this is a network issue and that they should not have to connect to VPN from inside the office to access that application.

It was a network issue all along. I had to take pity on the poor user that reported that issue, and reopen the ticket the VP NetEng closed with "not a network issue". I was kind enough to include a pcap file explicitly showing that the firewall was dropping traffic on 636. Not a network issue :fuckoff:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
While I absolutely believe network guys like that exist, I am yet to run into them. I generally have that exact experience with Windows admins though.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
how can network issues be real if networks aren't even real man

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

"Did you know the system is running slow today?"

YES BECAUSE IM SITTING HERE WATCHING PACKETSMART ALL DAY

GOD drat

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

H110Hawk posted:

The cloud is easy. Every day before you leave for the night erase the partition on all your disks in the server and then pull the plug. In the morning, redo it all.

This is actually correct. The cloud is cattle not pets. If you can’t spin up your poo poo quickly you’re not doing the cloud right.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vargatron posted:

"Did you know the system is running slow today?"

YES BECAUSE IM SITTING HERE WATCHING PACKETSMART ALL DAY

GOD drat

To be fair there are monitoring products that will monitor response time and user experience for just about anything you can imagine and alarm on it if it's slow, so it's not unreasonable to expect people to know when things are slower than usual.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I need to do some server benchmarks to justify trashing the garbage environment the last MSP installed (7 years ago).

Are there good tools out there for measuring sql response times, file transfer / access, and application performance? Or even if there are tools for each of these individually, I just need recorded results.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I need to do some server benchmarks to justify trashing the garbage environment the last MSP installed (7 years ago).

Are there good tools out there for measuring sql response times, file transfer / access, and application performance? Or even if there are tools for each of these individually, I just need recorded results.

Point to the installation date of 7 years ago for all the proof that servers are poo poo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

jaegerx posted:

This is actually correct. The cloud is cattle not pets. If you can’t spin up your poo poo quickly you’re not doing the cloud right.

I wasn't kidding.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

Every Microsoft product is a goddamn pet :smith:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Run Dell's DPACK and send the results to a Dell rep and they send a report back.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

ChubbyThePhat posted:

While I absolutely believe network guys like that exist, I am yet to run into them. I generally have that exact experience with Windows admins though.

Oh man, we have two groups here that act like that - internal ops and the admins of the hosted Exchange circus and freak show. Like, the ops guys will take down one of our (supposedly redundant) core switches to do something, and then flat out deny that the natted customer stuff that went down in our monitoring within seconds of the switch and then came back up seconds after the switch did had anything to do with their work. Even when you show them timestamps and that the equipment was not down on the customer's end, only through our monitoring. It's happened THREE TIMES now, and they won't even entertain the idea much less discuss that maybe these switches aren't quite as redundant as they think they are, or that maybe something needs to be tweaked a bit. The NOC's workaround: Suspend all monitoring for that customer when work is being done, and manually monitor it through the customer's network. As in, paying a guy to sit and watch their Solarwinds through a terminal server on one of his monitors. Because if we don't, the customer get flooded with dozens of emails from false alerts (that the customer insists upon and will not allow us to turn off), and then they get mad at us and their account manager.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 25, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Internet Explorer posted:

We have regular maintenance windows and apparently a few bills were deleted from a share that is for exchanging files between two departments and of course we deleted the files during the maintenance window, not one of their knuckleheads.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

Every Microsoft product is a goddamn pet :smith:
On purpose, so they can lease you the Azure equivalent (which is usually a better deal anyway)

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
anyone ever heard of https://fogproject.org/

my boss just forwarded it over to me "The person that mentioned it to me didn’t say much other than it was awesome. "

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
That was talked about like a week ago in one of the IT threads. They all run together. It's a deployment system that's apparently ok and used by places that don't want to set up MDT for some reason I guess?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kashuno posted:

anyone ever heard of https://fogproject.org/

my boss just forwarded it over to me "The person that mentioned it to me didn’t say much other than it was awesome. "

Yeah we talked about this last week (I think ITT) and how a good use case would be great for something like a library (public machines) or LAN cafe.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're a Windows shop then use MDT

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sepist posted:

That's my ace, I only show that to the top tier guys.

Oh cool, I'm a top-tier network guy now !

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Man this place has been taking a staffing beating over the past month and a half. After firing a PM and our staffing coordinator we've had:

- manager of professional services quit
- most senior systems engineer quit
- logistics person quit
- PM quit (leaving one left)
- CSO quit
- really good inside sales rep disappeared, supposedly he was also an arms dealer so people are legitimately worried about him.

So our staff of about 30 is now a solid 22 and we haven't replaced any of these people except the logistics person.

I'm expecting to not have any coworkers when I get back from my honeymoon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sepist posted:

Man this place has been taking a staffing beating over the past month and a half. After firing a PM and our staffing coordinator we've had:

- logistics person quit
- CSO quit
- really good inside sales rep disappeared, supposedly he was also an arms dealer so people are legitimately worried about him.

So our staff of about 30 is now a solid 22 and we haven't replaced any of these people except the logistics person.

Well of course not. Now the margins are healthier than ever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The last few months have been pretty rough on my employer too. Layoffs, sudden role changes, terminations and folks who've been at the company for a decade.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gotta watch out for those inside sales slash arms dealers.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

GreenNight posted:

Gotta watch out for those inside sales slash arms dealers.

He used to be a cop too among other things, his story was very interesting. Best advice he ever gave me was about a taser I was accidentally gifted at a sponsored golf outing. They're illegal here so I said "should I turn this in to the cops" and he said "Nah, I've got crossbows it's all good. Just keep it in the house for self-defense"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sepist posted:

- logistics person quit
- CSO quit

We've lost 5 directors just this year. 2 of them were HR .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We've had 3 CFOs this year and it's only August