Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Maybe it uses very little fuel over time, running like a diesel generator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This is a neat time capsule.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/buffalo-1994-mazda-mx-w-82k-miles/7505723013.html

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Always liked those cars, too bad there isn't much performance stuff available unless you swap the engine or make custom poo poo.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The 1.6 has a decent aftermarket, it's a Mazda B engine.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The dried paint drips globbing off the pinch welds aren't inspiring much confidence.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Wrar posted:

The 1.6 has a decent aftermarket, it's a Mazda B engine.

Yeah, its pretty much a B6T without the "T". But was the aftermarket really that good for the fwd versions? I know the Miata had a good aftermarket, but IIRC a lot of the parts were "RWD oriented", so stuff like better manifolds and such wouldn't work.

Just something I remember from when I was a Mazda geek 20 odd years ago.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/563955438685617/
https://metrompg.com/posts/xfi-aero-car.htm

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I can't hate on it.

I do wonder why only one row of solar panels...if you're going to open it up like that, throw more underneath.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Did not expect this to pop up locally.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

1962 Saab combi
$3,000

Driven 70,900 km
Manual transmission
Exterior color: White

962 Saab 95 Combi Wagon. 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Does not run, all there, needs complete restoration. Perfect project if you follow Fitzee's Fabrications or Bad Chad. Needs to be restored and used as advertising or painted to match your Saltbox on the hill.. Definitely an eye catcher everyone knows it...must be in a million photos by now.. Has a front floor pan and a better set of rear tail light sheet metal. I will include whatever I can find in my parts stash that might be helpful for this car.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just don’t paint over that great sign painter lettering

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/545396333731606/

quote:

1993 Toyota Supra 2jz NA. Car had been rebuilt professionally was not able to tell where the fire started, but don’t have the desire to rebuild it again. Massachusetts title in hand. Fire contained to engine bay, needs a windshield and front passenger and driver windows interior is clean has HKS coils front melted backs are fine. Selling on the silver wheels, BC forged wheels can be sold with car for additional cost or separate if someone wants them

no lowballs I know wat I got

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2JZ no poo poo.

That would decimate all after you put about 15 grand into it or more, if you have to, overnight parts from Japan.

e: it's been 20 years since Brian O'Connor found a beat up R34 GT-R on a used car lot in rural texas. A car that would have been at the most 4 years old at the time, and never sold or legal in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZ5JrO4xdU

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 28, 2022

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I can tell him exactly where the fire started. On top of the battery and fuse box, where he added a rat's nest of wiring for amps or underglow lights or whatever the gently caress stupid people do.

And he knows that, he just does not want to tell you he's a stupid person

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the
This price seems outrageous but looking through the pictures it was way ahead of it's time.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/chantilly-1995-toyota-estima-turbo/7514618795.html

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Darchangel posted:

Reliable, but doesn’t run. Also, doesn’t drive. But it runs.

I’d say if it doesn’t drive, it’s not good on gas. Effectively 0 MPG if it’s running and not moving.

Or alternatively, if it rolls at all it gets infinite miles to the gallon.
Also, its a New Yorker. It was not good or reliable the day it rolled off the factory.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

theOctagon posted:

This price seems outrageous but looking through the pictures it was way ahead of it's time.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/chantilly-1995-toyota-estima-turbo/7514618795.html

Price seems fine actually, though with the automatic behind the diesel it isn't going to be the quickest thing ever. Also it's actually quite easy to find this exact van in this exact condition in Japan, they are decently common. The real prize would be to get the supercharged AWD gasoline version in the hyper green, like this color:

We actually just sold the predecessor of this van for substantially more than they are asking for the Estima which is why I think the price is fine considering.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That price is crazy, especially for the lovely diesel.

Pretty sure the supercharger was only ever in the wide body version in Japan (same body as they used in the rest of the world)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've always thought "mechanic owned" was one of those things like how "military grade" sounds impressive to civilians but terrifying to veterans.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Imagined posted:

I've always thought "mechanic owned" was one of those things like how "military grade" sounds impressive to civilians but terrifying to veterans.

I'm a mechanic and I approve this message.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Imagined posted:

Absolutely correct

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DoubleT2172 posted:

Absolutely correct

As the saying goes, the cobbler's children go barefoot.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
The only thing worse is engineer owned

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah probably. I at least follow the maintenance schedule for things! Mostly.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The worst thing is person-owned.

People are, by and large, terrible.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is “everything thing functions as it should” code for “looks like poo poo, but at least it moves under its own power”

I’ve been dipping into tractor ads lately and I swear, all the rustiest heaps, all of them say “FUNCTIONS AS IT SHOULD.”

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

eddiewalker posted:

Is “everything thing functions as it should” code for “looks like poo poo, but at least it moves under its own power”

I’ve been dipping into tractor ads lately and I swear, all the rustiest heaps, all of them say “FUNCTIONS AS IT SHOULD.”

I mean a rusty piece of poo poo pulled out of a pond shouldn’t function at all, and they don’t!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

Oh, Christ no.
Those are the fuckers who change things because they "don't make sense" in whatever engineering discipline they have a degree in. Never, ever, buy a car modified by an electrical engineer for certain. I except my dad, because he was a gearhead before he was a machinist and then mechanical engineer, but per his observation, an incredible number of his junior engineers had never actually worked on anything before diving into designing things that had to be worked on.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

Oh, Christ no.
Those are the fuckers who change things because they "don't make sense" in whatever engineering discipline they have a degree in. Never, ever, buy a car modified by an electrical engineer

Or a house modified by a sales engineer.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

eddiewalker posted:

Depends. A GM product that "functions as it should" has no air conditioning, seven different warning lights on but nothing else in the gauge cluster works correctly, and the leather has crumbled away to nothing. It is their natural state.

A Ford that "fais" has holes in the hood where half the spark plugs shot out. The transmission changes gears, but each shift results in spilled coffee and seat belt bruises from how hard the vehicle bucks.

A Toyota that "fais" looks OK, everything works, but the structural components have rusted away to nothing.

A Chrysler has bald tires from failed front end components, but it can't be fixed because the fake chrome lug nuts can't be removed. Oh well, the transmission doesn't work anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Or a house modified by a sales engineer.

I'd argue that Sales Engineers aren't engineers, to begin with.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/530413442147476/
$44,999

Chunjee fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 2, 2022

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Save you a click, $45K. I live in a small college town with a bunch of Dallas, Texan adolescents. I can tell you none of them are this stupid, but YMMV.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

Depends. A GM product that "functions as it should" has no air conditioning, seven different warning lights on but nothing else in the gauge cluster works correctly, and the leather has crumbled away to nothing. It is their natural state.

A Ford that "fais" has holes in the hood where half the spark plugs shot out. The transmission changes gears, but each shift results in spilled coffee and seat belt bruises from how hard the vehicle bucks.

A Toyota that "fais" looks OK, everything works, but the structural components have rusted away to nothing.

A Chrysler has bald tires from failed front end components, but it can't be fixed because the fake chrome lug nuts can't be removed. Oh well, the transmission doesn't work anyway.

My Honda Element has been great, AC is weak. My pops S10 keeps us on our toes with issues it throws (latest it was complaining about an o2 sensor) but goddamn is that AC impressive. Plus I think STR's AC in his Panther was ridiculous too. WHEN US cars have working AC they seem to rip.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Can confirm, the A/C in my C5 would freeze your nuts off. I assume sized appropriately for your average overweight boomer.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Yeah I kid, I kid. My 2G CR-V has AC I would consider OK at best. It seems really dependent on forward motion to really get cold. My wife's newer CR-V isn't great in this department either.

I had a Dodge Intrepid that AC so cold I could see my breath in the car on a summer day. That car had hilariously hot heat as well.

GM used to be pretty good about giving the driver a vent aimed right at the crotch.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Can confirm, Crown Vic AC is the poo poo. Designed to keep grampas and cops in all their tac gear cool after running down perps. Mine needs to be vacuumed down and refilled with the proper amount, I think. It's cooling fine, but noticeably better when moving. I don't know if that's from increased air movement, engine RPM, or both.
Our Outback has outstanding (automatic!) AC. My '70 Cutlass has pretty decent AC, at least when it was running R-12. It's OK, or was last time I tried it, with ES-12a "Envirosafe" (mostly propane...) in it. My RX-7s have been mediocre, as is the AE86 when the refrigerant hasn't all leaked out. Our Kia Spectra5 was meh stopped at a light, but fine when rolling.
I've been told by my friend with the Fiero fetish that the Fiero's AC was stellar, since it was all parts binned. In the AC's case, that came from a J-body, meaning it's an AC sized for a small- to mid-sized sedan serving a 2-seater. Nice! Little bit of extra refrigerant capacity, too, since the condenser and evaporator are in front, and the compressor is in the back.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

GM ac rocks when it's working properly. Rebuilt the entire system in my Silverado and it's the best one I've ever had. Stuck in traffic last year in the GW bridge in NYC 107f outside and still cold as poo poo.

I think I posted about it somewhere here but my uncle has a 1980 Olds 98 and the AC still works and has never been charged. Amazing.

E: oh yea the crotch blower in all my GM cars is always a nice touch especially in the non ac ones.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

shy boy from chess club posted:

GM ac rocks when it's working properly. Rebuilt the entire system in my Silverado and it's the best one I've ever had. Stuck in traffic last year in the GW bridge in NYC 107f outside and still cold as poo poo.

I think I posted about it somewhere here but my uncle has a 1980 Olds 98 and the AC still works and has never been charged. Amazing.

E: oh yea the crotch blower in all my GM cars is always a nice touch especially in the non ac ones.

The crotch blower in my sequoia is amazing.

I put r152a (PC duster) in R12 cars. It works really well, just have to do some math to figure out the correct system volume and pressure.
Also have to flush the whole system, change the dryer, and use the correct oil.

Also, I'm shocked that anything with a GM R4 compressor doesn't leak. My mercedes has one of those miserable things and I can't get it to stop leaking past the case o-ring. needs a charge once a year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The GM R12 system in my dad’s 91 Caprice would form frost on the godamned vents in the right weather.

Conversely the AC in my mom’s 93 Firebird sucked poo poo and could barely keep the car below 85°.

GM is a land of contrasts.