Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

icantfindaname posted:

IMO they're both bad, but i'll take interesting over bland any day

Interesting bad in this case makes me want to take a knife to the throat, Bethesda plot just makes me sleepy. I'd rather sleep than kill myself tbqh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Borderlands has an interesting aesthetic but does absolutely NOTHING with it. All their areas are huge, boring expanses of bullshit.

Fallout's world is way more fun to spend time in because there's an interesting thing to see or do around every corner.

Plus the shooting in Fallout 4 is 1000x better than Borderlands.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Borderlands has an interesting aesthetic but does absolutely NOTHING with it. All their areas are huge, boring expanses of bullshit.

Fallout's world is way more fun to spend time in because there's an interesting thing to see or do around every corner.

Plus the shooting in Fallout 4 is 1000x better than Borderlands.

I'd love a co-op spin off game which is kinda like rage but less poo poo.

e: i know there's no co-op in rage but you know what i mean. less rpg stuff and just shooting things.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

RBA Starblade posted:

The game's music is really good yeah, besides the UI and jank in settlement building there's not much about the game I'm not liking. It's really bugfree for the most part too (I had to reload at the Kellogg fight because I strafed eternally after firing off the Fat Man to destroy him though), which is amazing for Bethesda.

Charisma 6 is fun and good if you do settlements and figure out how to get stores to make money. I haven't yet but god willing they will turn a profit one day.

CHA 6 is good because you can start plopping down weapon emporiums. Which reduces the tedium from having to restock on ammo. Just grab a poo poo ton of water, sell it and any extra gear you pick up on a raid, and you're good to go for buying the best ammo in the game for the best guns in the game.

I have a wounding plasma rifle that's fully upgraded and does 25 bleed damage per shot. The thing is absurd and it'd be next to impossible to keep it in stock without that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like how the companions seem to have comments and unique dialogue for so many of the locations and quests in the game. I'm taking along Curie right now, and her unending curiosity and astonishment about everything is kinda endearing.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

ShadowMar posted:

failing speech checks would be a lot less lovely if they had bothered to record unique dialogue for failed attempts like stumbling your words to or something like new vegas

I loved all of the failed New Vegas speech checks.

The Courier posted:

Raise your price or... or... you'll be "chip outta luck."

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Do modders still get hired by AAA companies? Maybe Beth should bring those Skyrim Multiplayer guys on board and see what they can do.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lady Naga posted:

Do modders still get hired by AAA companies? Maybe Beth should bring those Skyrim Multiplayer guys on board and see what they can do.

Sometimes. I think Valve is the company most famous for doing it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Broken Cog posted:

I like how the companions seem to have comments and unique dialogue for so many of the locations and quests in the game. I'm taking along Curie right now, and her unending curiosity and astonishment about everything is kinda endearing.

Piper's idle comments are still my favorite. For some reason, Nick doesn't want to stand close enough to me for me to actually hear what he's saying. The dude seems to have a death wish too.

Are companions affected by radiation? I much prefer Piper just because I can customize her gear, but I'm afraid to take her into the Glowing Sea.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Broken Cog posted:

Having taken two points in Lone Wanderer makes taking a buddy that isn't my dog hurt though. I'm carrying way too much poo poo.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Anyone have any idea where the hallucigen canister is in hallucigen. Inc? I walked around that building for at least a hour before giving up. I killed everyone in there but I can't find the quest item you give to fred allen.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

New Leaf posted:

Piper's idle comments are still my favorite.

always on good behavior, arent ya?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Empress Theonora posted:

I loved all of the failed New Vegas speech checks.

I like New Vegas everything, really.

Please, Bethesda, call up Obsidian and hand them your engine and assets again. I'll buy it. I'll buy it on launch even when all the bugs won't be fixed for six months!

Broken Cog posted:

I should start taking Curie with me, then. I've mostly been running around with Nick which has been a lot of fun. I also like the dialog companions have with each other when you switch companions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zooted heh posted:

Anyone have any idea where the hallucigen canister is in hallucigen. Inc? I walked around that building for at least a hour before giving up. I killed everyone in there but I can't find the quest item you give to fred allen.

There should be a bunch in the last area and the quest marker should point directly to one.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

The quest marker takes me to the cell floor and puts me in the hallway but nothing is there. I'll take another look.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

New Leaf posted:

Are companions affected by radiation? I much prefer Piper just because I can customize her gear, but I'm afraid to take her into the Glowing Sea.

I doubt it, at least Dogmeat didn't seem to suffer any ill effects from going with me. Other than getting suplexed by deathclaws I guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

New Leaf posted:

I don't think they're affected by it. If you're worried, though, stuff her in a hazmat suit or a suit of power armor.

Dub Step Dad
Dec 29, 2008
I've been playing this game on pc and recently came into this weird bug where every time I tried to sneak, this huge red thing covered my view. http://imgur.com/jyB1HNV
I tried using console commands to change my appearance to see if I could fix it and found that the inside of my character's head is just larger than usual somehow and clips through my head. http://imgur.com/axdPLPU
Has anyone experienced this bug? Or can I just not sneak for the rest of the game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Aside from the 4 guys running my shops and the lone guard manning a Guard Post, everyone else is toiling away on my Adhesive materials farm in Sanctuary, apart from that lazy bum the Vault Tec Rep, he doesn't do anything but sit around all day!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lady Naga posted:

The perk for removing radiation in water is really useful considering it opens up a lot of shortcuts.

It also would've been nice for them to bind the skip dialogue key to anything but left click, so that I'm not constantly waving my gun in people's faces trying to figure out which lines are skippable.

You can use the arrow keys to skip ahead

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Besides the minutemen camo for the T-45, is there any other power armour model-specific paint?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lady Naga posted:

Besides the minutemen camo for the T-45, is there any other power armour model-specific paint?

The Atom Cats sells a unique "Atom Cat T-60" armor set I think. I haven't actually bought it, so I don't know how different it is.

They also sell something called an "Atom Cat custom Paintjob", which I have no idea what does, since it costs like 7k caps.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i miss this poo poo, maybe someday we'll get another obsidian fallout

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Broken Cog posted:

The Atom Cats sells a unique "Atom Cat T-60" armor set I think. I haven't actually bought it, so I don't know how different it is.

The decal you can buy from them is the same as the Atom Cat set, so that doesn't really count.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Do companions' weapon damage scale with level? Also, if I give them a better version of their weapon and still no ammo, will they use it?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do companions' weapon damage scale with level? Also, if I give them a better version of their weapon and still no ammo, will they use it?

Probably, and no.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Broken Cog posted:

They also sell something called an "Atom Cat custom Paintjob", which I have no idea what does, since it costs like 7k caps.

I wish I weren't broke as poo poo. Some stuff costs 12k caps and I have like 400, and at most had 1000 or so. Might be time to invest in barter perks.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Speaking of companions using weapons, do you know in what situations they'll automatically pick up dropped weapons? I didn't realise this was a thing until Nick randomly picked up a flame thrower and started loving people up in the middle of a fight. Is it only when the weapon that gets dropped is more powerful than their scaled default weapon?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish I weren't broke as poo poo. Some stuff costs 12k caps and I have like 400, and at most had 1000 or so. Might be time to invest in barter perks.

Better yet, just set up a bunch of purifiers in your settlements and become the wasteland's new water baron. Get in on that sweet sweet Immortan Joe roleplay.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

RBA Starblade posted:

Keep some Charisma gear and booze around when it's time to sell to vendors. Pop a grape mentat before you make your big purchases (and sales, while you're at it.)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

always on good behavior, arent ya?

She said that exactly one time to me. It's after getting her affection to a certain level and she's trying to start a conversation. That video is of a bug. She's not actually that annoying.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lady Naga posted:

Well considering it's objectively untrue I'm not sure why he'd post such a thing.

No, I'll second that - you are definitely a lovely poster. Maybe you shouldn't treat all your opinions as incontrovertible fact?

I asked the other day, but no one seemed to know: (main quest) I tracked down the Courser, and when we had our showdown I had the conversation option "Reset code" which led to me saying a string of numbers that made the Courser shut himself down a la Gunther in Deus Ex. Cool as gently caress, but where did I learn the reset code from??

Also, how do I begin Cait's missions? She admires me, and prompted me for a conversation where she told me about her past and had me pass a speech check for flirting, I think, but now she's back to her default lines. Do I just need to travel some more until she prompts me again?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

There should be a bunch in the last area and the quest marker should point directly to one.

Is it behind a expert level terminal? If so that's why I haven't found it cuz I can't open it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Uhh, maybe I'm understanding this incorrectly, but it seems like you can't make critical hits outside VATS anymore?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

New Leaf posted:

She said that exactly one time to me. It's after getting her affection to a certain level and she's trying to start a conversation. That video is of a bug. She's not actually that annoying.

i know. i was doing this thing called 'make joke'

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Lady Naga posted:

Nothing in the world could really justify you talking to the Brotherhood of Steel imo.
LOVE BROTHERHOOD

coyo7e posted:

Are there any good spots to get lots of bone? Specifically places I can farm it to make cutting fluid?
Any place populated by super mutants will have a ton of skeltal parts lying around and stuffed in meat bags

Lady Naga posted:

(And you shouldn't be)
I love my hosed up tiny settlement

Hambilderberglar posted:

E2: Any reliable sources for oil, screws and adhesives? I seem to never have enough, but that's because I obsessively remove mods from found weapons to stack them on the one example of the gun I actually do use, so maybe I am the problem here.
Oil can be made from cutting fluid which you can craft at a chemistry table.

Adhesive can be made from vegetable starch which is crafted at a cooking station. 3x each of corn, tato, and (I think) mutfruit + purified water = like 5x adhesive

icantfindaname posted:

actually it's mediocre
counterpoint: It's rad

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Phenotype posted:

No, I'll second that - you are definitely a lovely poster. Maybe you shouldn't treat all your opinions as incontrovertible fact?

Better idea: don't bring up a post from several pages ago to get a dumb driveby burn over the fact that I don't kowtow everyone's feelings by preceeding everything with "in my opinion, I believe..."

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Phenotype posted:

Also, how do I begin Cait's missions? She admires me, and prompted me for a conversation where she told me about her past and had me pass a speech check for flirting, I think, but now she's back to her default lines. Do I just need to travel some more until she prompts me again?

Just keep doing things she approves of and eventually she'll give you her quest, I think it initiates after her 3rd chat with you.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I just played through the (relatively early MQ spoilers) Kellogg memory sequence. The whole desperate attempt to humanize the guy post-mortem so that you'd feel really bad if you killed him was dumb and is basically a video game trope at this point. That said, I really liked following Kellogg's life. Getting some background on how he ended up working for the institute was very cool. I did find it interesting that he ended up taking on so many cybernetics at some point between starting to work for the institute and his death. I wonder if the institute required that of him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

Actually it's a really fun game with some flaws and I think the particular kind of autism here is claiming it sucks as a game because of whatever pet issue you're having.

"Game has trains and I am a big fan of trains, but they do not move so I feel cheated. I also got really excited when given the option to join the railroad but it was a complete letdown because again I was thinking about trains and instead got some slavery bullshit. 3 out of 10"

• Locked thread