Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kai Tave posted:

First 75, then 50, then 25. It was also back in the day when Zen's orbs persisted without LoS restrictions so what actually happened is you'd toss Symmetra shields and Zen orbs on Tracers and Genjis and then hide in a corner somewhere while your health-boosted self-healing flankers did all the work.

They might have been overpowered but at least it gave Symmetra a point in being used, currently she's probably the most situational hero in the game, and that situation is very limited, not to mention most of the time almost any other hero would still be better to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

I have engaged in the Ana meta of putting people to sleep and then either dropping some candy for them or showing them my daughter and I am never ever going to stop

My bad habit with Reinhardt is the Heroic emote combined with "CATCH-PHRASE!"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

They might have been overpowered but at least it gave Symmetra a point in being used, currently she's probably the most situational hero in the game, and that situation is very limited, not to mention most of the time almost any other hero would still be better to use

beta symmetra was not better. her being worthless is so much less awful than what beta symmetra did to the game

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Having everyone be equally viable is one of those nice goals you work on when nothing's currently on fire, since it'll never actually be achieved.

When a character is too weak, you don't see that character. When a character is too strong, you don't see a bunch of them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately Overwatch just has too many characters for everyone to be viable in every situation. The balance Blizz has to strike instead is making a character be viable in enough situations that they aren't super niche. And Symmetra is super duper niche.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Balancing a bunch of heroes is a bit like having a policy goal related to car accident deaths yearly. You set the target at zero, even if you'll never get there. Because it would look real weird to state that this year we are aiming to only have 2500 deaths.

:iiaca:

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
As someone with 60 hours on Symmetra in ranked, and a positive winrate, I have a problem with the prevailing opinion that she's bad. She is weak. It's not the same thing.

Symmetra is tied with Mercy for having the most powerful ultimate in the game. People like Reaper or Zen have strong, game-winning ults, but Mercy and Sym are a step above because they get those guys and everyone else back where they need to be to use their ults. The TP is especially powerful on offense to off-set the defender spawn advantage. You might assume people just shoot the TP down, but those are poorly placed TPs. A good portal should be placed just as something noisy happens, like a Reinhardt ult that draws all the attention away from the TP noise. You can get away with portals right ontop of the objective in situations like that. People will be too flustered to run find it, the same way they don't have time to look for a hiding Mercy when the rest of her team charges in.

Also, teams that cry that Sym can't help break through the choke are out of their minds. Supports don't break chokes. They are in the back and go through once the tanks and dps create an opening. I lob balls and spam turrets around the choke, trying to not needlessly get myself killed before someone has the ult to push us through.

Sorry, it's just something that gets to me since my chat is pretty much all whining before we even leave the spawn. Symmetra is super easy to play poorly, and you don't necessarily know you could be doing better either, which is how she's ended up with a bad rep. She's like Junkrat in that aspect. The tricky thing is minmaxing the poo poo out of your Symmetra experience, avoiding attention, especially avoiding tanks, having a good turret nest to fall back to and constantly harassing the enemy supports any time their team dives ahead of them.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 19, 2016

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I often imagine a world where Symmetra's weapon is literally the UT Shock Rifle.

Heh, it would be fun if you could accelerate your orb with her primary fire, to use more ammo to get a more lethal ranged attack.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 19, 2016

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to throw out an apology to the goons who patiently waited for my lovely computer to fail at booting back up last night. My bad. I probably should have just restarted the game and run on a single monitor rather than trying to reboot to begin with.

-Fluffy

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'd rather have the shock rifle on a combat hero. Plus a spinfusor, rocket jumping and a railgun please blizzard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I often imagine a world where Symmetra's weapon is literally the UT Shock Rifle.

Heh, it would be fun if you could accelerate your orb with her primary fire, to use more ammo to get a more lethal ranged attack.

I prefer the Dystopia Tesla gun's functionality. Left click is your typical cone of pain, right click charges up a ball that stays tethered to your weapon until full charge or until you release it. It has some inertia and acceleration so with some practice you can whip it around corners and poo poo. Then it flies through zapping everyone nearby.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I'd rather have the shock rifle on a combat hero. Plus a spinfusor, rocket jumping and a railgun please blizzard.

If you want rocket jumping, go bastion. You can get to some real nasty positions or gain a fair amount of ground on people.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

rumble in the bunghole posted:

dont make me imagine the spinfusor or heavy mortar through overwatch's sound design team plz, my body can only take so much

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

For all the cool movement abilities overwatch has there's no telefrag

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

For all the cool movement abilities overwatch has there's no telefrag

symmetra rework confirmed as giving her a translocator

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

A single, really loving powerful heavy mortar round would be the coolest ult actually

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

A single, really loving powerful heavy mortar round would be the coolest ult actually

So... Dva?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

kinda but not exactly! I mean the design space is too crowded for it to make sense, im just imagining how satisfying it would feel

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I prefer the Dystopia Tesla gun's functionality. Left click is your typical cone of pain, right click charges up a ball that stays tethered to your weapon until full charge or until you release it. It has some inertia and acceleration so with some practice you can whip it around corners and poo poo. Then it flies through zapping everyone nearby.

This can't be stressed enough, the Dystopia Tesla is one of the most unique guns to come into existence. The tether effect would allow Sym to be more aggressive at medium range with her alt fire.
It was also awesome when you lined up a tesla-ball so it paralleled someone trying to run away and just zapped the poo poo out of them repeatedly.

Dystopia also managed to create an effective minigame in the cyberspace zones, you could take-down firewalls faster if you knew the gui-button combos.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thor-Stryker posted:

This can't be stressed enough, the Dystopia Tesla is one of the most unique guns to come into existence. The tether effect would allow Sym to be more aggressive at medium range with her alt fire.
It was also awesome when you lined up a tesla-ball so it paralleled someone trying to run away and just zapped the poo poo out of them repeatedly.

Dystopia also managed to create an effective minigame in the cyberspace zones, you could take-down firewalls faster if you knew the gui-button combos.

I never really did much of the cyberspace stuff, so I didn't get as good at memorizing the buttons to break a firewall for example, but I did like running around nailing people to walls with the bolt gun and got real good at blooping people with it. Hell, even after they cut the direct hit damage.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
Maybe she could have a banana peel she could throw on the ground that trips winston when he walks on it. That would still be more useful than her teleporter

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Gloryhold It! posted:

If you want rocket jumping, go bastion. You can get to some real nasty positions or gain a fair amount of ground on people.

wait, what?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

wait, what?

When in tank form you rocket jump to get some height over walls and other obstacles

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ohh, tankmode, right right. does this actually have any workable applications or is it just a fun little trick? like are there any good positions you can set up in that you couldn't get to otherwise?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

ohh, tankmode, right right. does this actually have any workable applications or is it just a fun little trick? like are there any good positions you can set up in that you couldn't get to otherwise?

Hop a mei wall and surprise the gently caress out of the team on the other side

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Gloryhold It! posted:

Zarya's rocketjump is vaguely useful sometimes.

...it makes me feel strong, ok?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
You can fire an M2 directly up and time it to fire one down as you jump and hop the left hand gap to Hanamura B.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
I tried playing some competitive TF2 games last night and basically every single round I would realize I'd used up all my pistol ammo spamming randomly as I walked from spam and needed to go find an ammo pack. Infinite ammo has ruined me for other games.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fusion Restaurant posted:

I tried playing some competitive TF2 games last night and basically every single round I would realize I'd used up all my pistol ammo spamming randomly as I walked from spam and needed to go find an ammo pack. Infinite ammo has ruined me for other games.

Thing about other games is that the sheer volume of ammo boxes laying around the place really took away the strategic need to control those resources a la quake. Going back to that would (not sure this would be bad mind you) cause reddit to go supernova and erase their colo center from the face of the planet.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

The Walrus posted:

There's a couple of places like the ledge above the stairs on Anubis point 1 and poo poo like jumping from the cart to the sniper deck at the first checkpoint on Gibraltar. But a lot of it is just getting better angles on people for kills or getting into a good position as it ends.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

f1av0r posted:

Maybe she could have a banana peel she could throw on the ground that trips winston when he walks on it. That would still be more useful than her teleporter

Yes that would be more useful than instantly reinforcing when on defence :allears:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

I think that some characters would be a lot more viable if the maps had an equal amount of open sections, closed sections, and verticality.

The maps seem to have a lack of closed space to open space, at least when it comes to where the fighting's at. A handful have mediocre verticality options. Yet half the cast does well in one or both of these areas.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

*places Symmetra teleporter in a bad position, gets killed immediately afterwards and watches teleporter get rekt in deathcam*

fucken useless ult what she needs is a banana peel

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i wish more people would face the tele away from the walls

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FAUXTON posted:

*places Symmetra teleporter in a bad position, gets killed immediately afterwards and watches teleporter get rekt in deathcam*

fucken useless ult what she needs is a banana peel

To be fair, there are only so many relevant spots you can place a teleporter. Plus, people who use it have sparks trailing them so it's typically not hard for the enemy team to find. Also, does it show to Widowmaker's wall hack?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

singling out the teleporter as the worst part of symmetra's kit is kind of like singling out mercy's healing staff as the worst thing she has going for her

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hughmoris posted:

To be fair, there are only so many relevant spots you can place a teleporter. Plus, people who use it have sparks trailing them so it's typically not hard for the enemy team to find. Also, does it show to Widowmaker's wall hack?

Don't think it shows but you can generally infer from people stepping out of thin air. The placement thing is what takes thought and skill but if you put it in the right place you can definitely hold some bullshit defense points with ease and/or take some bullshit attack points with ease. If you've got an enemy team who won't venture outside the choke on Anubis B for example, a teleporter cutting the runback distance in half (or better) for the attackers means the pressure on the defenders is pretty much constant and makes taking the point hella easy. It punishes turtling, but a lot of stuff in the game encourages high mobility so that isn't out of line with the devs' apparent vision.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

verbal enema posted:

One of the guys I play with keeps on pointing the teleporter in the opposite direction away from the point we're supposed to be defending and it drives me insane every time

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

verbal enema posted:

I played a game on the Ilios map a few weeks ago where the Symmetra placed the teleporter on the edge of the cliff and killed most of us. They did it twice too, and people kept using it.

It was pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Walrus posted:

Bastion's rocket jump is probably the best in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIlzzjEjj6M