Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

skooma512 posted:

The best guitar is one you feel stoked about playing.

These words could not be more true. It's way better to buy a cheap guitar that youre excited about and really dig than an expensive one you are not as into. The guitar that gets you playing the most is the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

this seems like an incentive to keep posting. do you have any olympic white telecasters?

LANDGRABBER

Kvlt! posted:

These words could not be more true. It's way better to buy a cheap guitar that youre excited about and really dig than an expensive one you are not as into. The guitar that gets you playing the most is the best one.

Yeah I think once you’re outside of the basics like quality control and decent hardware, it’s an open field that mostly rewards you for picking what you think is the coolest loving thing you’ve ever laid eyes on.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

;)

it's gonna be a tele, for sure. the thing that made me want to pick up guitar in the first place was honestly bloc party - silent alarm and it's clean tones, and that's all telecasters. doesn't hurt that andy partridge/xtc is a gigantic inspiration to me and his primary guitar from 1982 onward was a tele. as a skinny indie rock rear end in a top hat, i look better with a telecaster than basically any other guitar. maybe i could make a bright blue strat work or something like that, but i prefer the edges, if the strat is anything like my sister's mustang, it's kinda like a gigantic loving bar of wet soap that i have to balance on my hipbone to play sitting down. the neck pickup on a tele is my favorite guitar sound; it's clean and full in a way that i can feel comfortable playing with no accompaniment, almost like an acoustic, except you're not a loving rear end in a top hat making tapping noises on the wood as fake drums.

so idk how any of this works, what's the meaning of string gauges? what order is it in? is the lowest number the highest pitched e string? probably gonna by a new set of strings when i get it - i don't trust squier strings to not be lovely - and want to make sure they're not so tiny that i cut my loving fingers open

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gauge is just the actual size of the strings. The standard for Fender guitars is 9-42. 9 being the thin string and 42 being the thick. The other “standard” size is 10-46. Slightly thicker sound, higher tension. I’m pretty loyal to D’Addario NYXL strings. They sound awesome, are extremely durable and hold tuning well.

and :yeah: Teles rule

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

thinking about buying a squier jaguar. is it poo poo?

you've spent the last 61 days (!!) posting in this thread instead of playing electric guitar, COME ON!!!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

you've spent the last 61 days (!!) posting in this thread instead of playing electric guitar, COME ON!!!

feels like longer to me lol

everything's not at the ready yet. i'm still a lil baby, waitin' on my mom to sort some poo poo out before i can make the acquisition

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
zaurg.gif but replaced with "buy a guitar"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Gauge is just the actual size of the strings.

That number is the diameter in hundredths of inches if you're in to the unit thing.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

my greatest scam: buying the squier standard tele and slowly replacing every part of it until i have an american standard and a squier standard tele

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pretty much what I’m doing with my Squier Strat lol

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

feels like longer to me lol

everything's not at the ready yet. i'm still a lil baby, waitin' on my mom to sort some poo poo out before i can make the acquisition

this could be you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwsQudFjXXE&t=15s

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

that baby looks cooler with an LP than i do

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
They also sell those white contemporary strats in olympic white.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
btw any new guitar is going to need new strings and setup. Used guitars will need new strings and maybe a setup, you’ll have to see to know for sure.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Ideally, the shop you buy your guitar from would have a luthier in the back to make sure your instrument is dialed in before you walk out the door. But if you're ordering a new instrument online, then you will likely need to bring it into a shop anyway to get it set up.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Gauge is just the actual size of the strings. The standard for Fender guitars is 9-42. 9 being the thin string and 42 being the thick. The other “standard” size is 10-46. Slightly thicker sound, higher tension. I’m pretty loyal to D’Addario NYXL strings. They sound awesome, are extremely durable and hold tuning well.

and :yeah: Teles rule

10-52 4 life

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

In Open C it’s perfect but I can’t take it in standard. No wayyy man.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The low strings are a little stout for E standard but it's perfect for Eb standard.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kvlt! posted:

The guitar that gets you playing the most is the best one.

Truth. My main guitar is an Ibanez GIO that I bought off of loving myspace classifieds back in 2007 for like $80. No locking nut/trem, no fine tuners, passive SSH pickups, "only" 22 frets, solid black finish, just basic dot inlays. I'm at the point though where I've got it dialed in pretty much perfectly. A non-set-up $600 Ibanez I was playing in the store yesterday was more awkward to play than my cheap thing; it's done me more good than months or years of waffling over THE PERFECT AXE ever could have.

Get anything and start playing.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

pictured: a pile of .052 gauge strings tuned to c

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Missed a few posts, playing 52s below standard is for cowards with play-doh muscles and styrofoam bones. EARN THOSE loving BENDS

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

9-42 standard for liiiiffffe

I would like to move down to 8s but I’m not crazy about the sound of strings that thin.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Muppets On PCP posted:

pictured: a pile of .052 gauge strings tuned to c

What, dial in the sauce and you're in for a good time??

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

skooma512 posted:

btw any new guitar is going to need new strings and setup. Used guitars will need new strings and maybe a setup, you’ll have to see to know for sure.

i figured i could do a "setup" myself and yeah i was already planning on restringing, squier may've gotten better over the last few years but i don't trust them to put nickel strings that aren't like, little bits of magnesium your teacher burns in science class for an experiment on stock guitars. i also want thicker ones - i play my sister's mustang occasionally, if it's to be believed that 9s are the standard that come on fender, the high e fuckin just HURTS so i'm going to go for 10s or maybe even 11s.

i do want something i can play good in half down though - that's how all those blue album songs are tuned

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
SRV plays 11s on his Eb tunes.

I wouldn’t put anything thicker than 10s on a strat scale length for standard tuning though and even that’s pushing it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

if it's to be believed that 9s are the standard that come on fender, the high e fuckin just HURTS so i'm going to go for 10s or maybe even 11s.

Probably a technique thing not the strings tbh

10s sound good for you if you’re gonna down tune sometimes though for sure

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kilometers Davis posted:

Probably a technique thing not the strings tbh

10s sound good for you if you’re gonna down tune sometimes though for sure

i'm tiny and very very bony - scrooge's hands from 2009s "a christmas carol" like, in fact

so i figured it had somethiong to do with that

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

landgrabber posted:

i figured i could do a "setup" myself and yeah i was already planning on restringing, squier may've gotten better over the last few years but i don't trust them to put nickel strings that aren't like, little bits of magnesium your teacher burns in science class for an experiment on stock guitars. i also want thicker ones - i play my sister's mustang occasionally, if it's to be believed that 9s are the standard that come on fender, the high e fuckin just HURTS so i'm going to go for 10s or maybe even 11s.

i do want something i can play good in half down though - that's how all those blue album songs are tuned

If the high E hurts you with 9s you're gonna love 11s! You're probably not gonna notice the extra 2 thousandths of an inch but you'll definitely feel the extra tension, especially if you try to bend them. But tuning down will reduce that, so maybe 10s will suit you better

Best thing is to go by feel I reckon - on your sister's guitar, do the strings feel too loose? Do you wish they resisted a bit more, were a bit more solid? If so, you might want a higher gauge. And try it in Eb too, I reckon you'll probably be fine with how 9s feel in standard but Eb might be a bit more ehhhh

Also D'addario makes 10.5s if you want to be special like me

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

baka kaba posted:

If the high E hurts you with 9s you're gonna love 11s! You're probably not gonna notice the extra 2 thousandths of an inch but you'll definitely feel the extra tension, especially if you try to bend them. But tuning down will reduce that, so maybe 10s will suit you better

Best thing is to go by feel I reckon - on your sister's guitar, do the strings feel too loose? Do you wish they resisted a bit more, were a bit more solid? If so, you might want a higher gauge. And try it in Eb too, I reckon you'll probably be fine with how 9s feel in standard but Eb might be a bit more ehhhh

Also D'addario makes 10.5s if you want to be special like me

in terms of pure resistance, like physics wise, they actually feel really nice. but it's a fairly low action guitar - she doesn't really maintain it (i know. i know.) so her truss rod is way off too - so that probably has something to do with it. i should also say i'm speaking strictly in terms of like, ring or pinky on high e, when i say it hurts. if i barre em down or play dmaj7 i don't feel it.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

inb4 i spend another 61 days anticipating which guitar strings to buy

jk this will absolutely not happen

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah but it only really hurts when you press it, right? Because it's pushing back into your finger. Higher tension means stiffer strings that take a lot more force to fret, and especially to bend. I have 11s on my *spit* strat because I had it in D standard for a while, and when I went back up to E hoo boy that was not pleasant. I went into the Cherub Rock solo in Rocksmith not realising what that high bend was gonna feel like, and you have to watch out for that poo poo because you can gently caress your hand up if you overdo it

but have you played enough to build up any calluses yet? It always hurts at first because your fingertips are all squishy, same if you don't play for a while. Eventually they get tougher and then you get the superpowers

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but it only really hurts when you press it, right? Because it's pushing back into your finger. Higher tension means stiffer strings that take a lot more force to fret, and especially to bend. I have 11s on my *spit* strat because I had it in D standard for a while, and when I went back up to E hoo boy that was not pleasant. I went into the Cherub Rock solo in Rocksmith not realising what that high bend was gonna feel like, and you have to watch out for that poo poo because you can gently caress your hand up if you overdo it

but have you played enough to build up any calluses yet? It always hurts at first because your fingertips are all squishy, same if you don't play for a while. Eventually they get tougher and then you get the superpowers

i have weird perma callouses because i picked at the skin on my fingertips as a kid (and still do, i just stopped on my left hand months ago when i wanted to play guitar) so the skin there is really weirdly stiff

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's more like the flesh gets used to being crushed by the strings, it's not really about the surface exactly

MAYBE IF YOU GOT A GUITAR YOU'D SEE FOR YRSELF

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

baka kaba posted:

It's more like the flesh gets used to being crushed by the strings, it's not really about the surface exactly

MAYBE IF YOU GOT A GUITAR YOU'D SEE FOR YRSELF

ITS HAPPENING SOON I SWAER

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Have you started thinking about what picks you like yet?

im sorry what have I done

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'll head this off with the correct answer:

(at least for electric, I find my acoustic sounds kinda dull with em. Although it's a 70s Gibson which was apparently their low point as far as tone quality, and it was at one point refinished by my uncle who, though he plays, is a general woodworker and not a luthier, so who knows how it was finished)

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kilometers Davis posted:

Have you started thinking about what picks you like yet?

im sorry what have I done

nice try with this one pal, but my sister has .60s and .71s and the 71s are juuuuuuuuuuust right.

she also got two fender guitar cables when she got hers two years ago, so she threw one of them at me

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Use a super thin one for acoustic so you can flail away at it

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

-lol nvm-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In non-poo poo-stirring news, I ended up just getting a replacement for my dead NS-2, old one got stored in a box where some crap leaked into it and corroded some jacks, it worked for a bit but eventually died altogether. I forgot how nice it is playing with actual pedals, being able to order stuff exactly how I want, etc. Currently I just do gate->fuzz/distortion (right now a Big Muff)->preamp->EQ->chorus->back into gate->power amp. Need to get me a physical delay that I can put outside the noise gate loop. And a tuner pedal. And an octave pedal so I can run a beefier tone into the Muff. And probably a compressor. And-