Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe they'll let him have a whole soda from the drink cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bum the Sad posted:

He was being removed for the crime of not volunteering to give up his payed for seat to a company employee who wanted to fly. Yeah it's a bad look.

Right. But once he refused to leave he was trespassing, which is illegal. The police are probably in the clear here.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Facebook Aunt posted:

Right. But once he refused to leave he was trespassing, which is illegal. The police are probably in the clear here.

Correct. It's still really loving shifty. Granted United is breaching contract and robbing the guy. But that's a civil matter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm sure United has it in their terms of service that they can throw people off their planes.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Wells Fargo to Claw Back $75 Million From Former Executives

quote:

Wells Fargo’s board said Monday that it would claw back an additional $75 million in compensation from the two executives on whom it pinned most of the blame for the company’s sales scandal: the bank’s former chief executive, John G. Stumpf, and its former head of community banking, Carrie L. Tolstedt.

In a scathing, 113-page report that made it clear that all the warning signs of the problem had been glaring, the board released the results of its six-month investigation into the conditions and culture that prompted thousands of Wells Fargo employees to create fraudulent accounts in an effort to meet aggressive sales goals.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yea, the police probably aren't getting sued, although I wasn't sure if they guy doing the dragging was actually police or not. Either way, the bigger gently caress up is United even letting the guy on the plane. If you're overbooked, you need to sort that out before people board, not after. It's a United gently caress up, and probably the gate agents' fault for boarding people.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FCKGW posted:

For what? What were his damages?

He's literally bleeding from the mouth. He was battered. That's not just a crime in the US, it's a tort, and it's one where a jury is free to impose any sort of damages; they are not limited to simply the cost of his medical expenses, damage to his property, etc. Conduct like this is unusually offensive to a reasonable person, and a large punitive assessment will be likely. So likely that United will certainly choose to settle.

None of those cops should ever work again either, and if they were corporate security they should be in prison, but I've no hope whatsoever of them being disciplined in any way. They're cops, their job description isn't "protect United's bottom line." If United needed four passengers to give up their seats, then United can continue to increase its compensation offers until it gets four volunteers.

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you have a valid contract which allows you to be there, it's not trespassing. The response of the cops when called should have been to ask to see his ticket, and then "Oh, he's got a ticket? Then this is a matter between you and him, we're not your corporate lackeys."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

From what I understand about your weird American laws because he his luggage was accepted onto the plane and he was seated the airline was required to offer him fourfold compensation for his ticket price which they did not.

So they are in violation of whatever federal law that is before the physical assault matter comes into play regardless.

Maybe there is an argument that they called the police on him improperly? Not a lawyer, gently caress if I know, but I'm pretty sure it's not an open and shut "get hosed peasant" matter for the passenger.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://twitter.com/AlamoNYC/status/851448491742285824

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

DancingShade posted:

From what I understand about your weird American laws because he his luggage was accepted onto the plane and he was seated the airline was required to offer him fourfold compensation for his ticket price which they did not.

So they are in violation of whatever federal law that is before the physical assault matter comes into play regardless.

Maybe there is an argument that they called the police on him improperly? Not a lawyer, gently caress if I know, but I'm pretty sure it's not an open and shut "get hosed peasant" matter for the passenger.

To be a bit fair to United, this article says the passengers were offered $800 to volunteer to give up their seats, as well as lodging and a flight the next day. I imagine that same offer extended to those that were chosen randomly.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
They should have just told everyone else that the plane wasn't going anywhere until the man in seat xxx left :shrug:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Hi guys I'm literally mentally impaired please explain how a man has any standing to sue for being forced off a plane and beaten.

I know some of you guys are really loving stupid regarding legal things but holy poo poo.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

SpacePig posted:

To be a bit fair to United, this article says the passengers were offered $800 to volunteer to give up their seats, as well as lodging and a flight the next day. I imagine that same offer extended to those that were chosen randomly.

That's 800 in coupons, now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpacePig posted:

Happened to my friend once and yeah he still got the extra cash when he got bumped. He wasn't already sitting on the plane though. That's the weird part of this thing, to me anyways.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hi guys I'm literally mentally impaired please explain how a man has any standing to sue for being forced off a plane and beaten.

I know some of you guys are really loving stupid regarding legal things but holy poo poo.

Haha, thanks for this.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That's 800 in coupons, now.

OR a chance to claim what's in the MYSTERY BOX!

It's grievous bodily harm.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SpacePig posted:

Sure but $800 worth of coupons wasn't the fourfold compensation they were required to offer.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

SpacePig posted:

Well looks like that wasn't enough, clearly they weren't offering market value for their audience, i.e. the people on that plane.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Sure but $800 worth of coupons wasn't the fourfold compensation they were required to offer.

We don't know what they offered him once they bumped him. Plus his ticket could have been $200 one-way. Seems like the smallest part of the offense that happened here. The bigger issue being an older man got his face smashed into an arm wrest because United wanted his seat for their own employees.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

DancingShade posted:

They're not required to offer fourfold compensation, the value is capped. If they bump you, and your delay is more than one hour but less than two hours, they are required to give you double the price of the one-way fare you paid to get to your destination, or $650, whichever is less. If the delay is more than two hours, then it's 4x the price, or $1300, whichever is less. If they delay is less than an hour, they're not required to compensate you at all.

But again, that's what is required in cases where you are *involuntarily* bumped. If the airline offers $100, and you accept $100, you have not been involuntarily bumped, so those requirements don't apply.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm pretty sure having your face smashed into an arm-rest counts as an involuntary bump.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
In more ways than one.

DancingShade posted:

I don't see anywhere that it was coupons, I'm not sure what I'm missing. And looking it up, it looks like most tickets from flights from Chicago to Louisville are less than $200. I'm not saying what they did was cool or right, but they did offer compensation, and he probably would've gotten it if they hadn't let him back on the plane.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

DancingShade posted:

I like the phase "refusal to volunteer".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Surely the greatest problem was that the police immediately proceeded to brutalize an innocent man at the slightest sign of dissent. The airline company probably had a legitimate reason to need an extra seat to get their man to a destination, and AFAIK they didn't order the passenger to get beaten up and dragged along the floor like a carcass at the slaughterhouse.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Might have been posted already, but still.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL8KBbR0AWQ

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Surely the greatest problem was that the police immediately proceeded to brutalize an innocent man at the slightest sign of dissent. The airline company probably had a legitimate reason to need an extra seat to get their man to a destination, and AFAIK they didn't order the passenger to get beaten up and dragged along the floor like a carcass at the slaughterhouse.

They wanted to offer the seats to United staff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ravenkult posted:

Yes, and often it is absolutely necessary to move an employee between places to support company operations - of course it's impossible to tell from the incident reports if that's the case here, but I think it's fair to give them the benefit of the doubt.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

That's just how america rolls now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Might have been posted already, but still.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL8KBbR0AWQ

I don't know how to feel about this. Dude's a piece of poo poo, but I don't quite know how big of a piece of poo poo. A fairly sizeable piece is what my guts telling me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

DancingShade posted:

That's just how america rolls now.

It's Chicago. It's how we've always rolled.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, and often it is absolutely necessary to move an employee between places to support company operations - of course it's impossible to tell from the incident reports if that's the case here, but I think it's fair to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This company banned 3 girls wearing leggings just last month. They were supposed to adhere to a completely subjective dress code that nobody knew about. Why should United ever get the benefit of the doubt?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SpacePig posted:

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is technically a celebrity. Is that what you want? More of that?

Neil DeGrasse Tyson sex tapes?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leon Einstein posted:

This company banned 3 girls wearing leggings just last month. They were supposed to adhere to a completely subjective dress code that nobody knew about. Why should United ever get the benefit of the doubt?

They weren't 3 rando girls though, they were 3 people flying on passes for employees+families and had to adhere to a dress code.
It's a stupid and arbitrary policy that is probably selectively enforced, but that's the name of the game when working for giant corporations!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's Chicago. It's how we've always rolled.

It's everywhere. The cops have been waging the War on Drugs for so long that they view the general populace as the enemy in a war zone and will go to high-order violence at the first sign of conflict. Witness the frequent cases where a family member calls the cops for assistance with another family member who is depressed or or off his meds or threatening suicide or just less than completely rational, and the assistance the cops have to offer is just shooting the person dead.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20160213/lawsuit-filed-over-state-police-shooting-death
http://fox40.com/2017/03/19/family-speaks-out-after-chico-police-shoot-kill-25-year-old/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mom-girl-accidentally-shot-speaks-article-1.2392772

They even do this to white people.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe they'll let him have a whole soda from the drink cart.

Whoa there, let's not go over the top.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

It's everywhere. The cops have been waging the War on Drugs for so long that they view the general populace as the enemy in a war zone and will go to high-order violence at the first sign of conflict. Witness the frequent cases where a family member calls the cops for assistance with another family member who is depressed or or off his meds or threatening suicide or just less than completely rational, and the assistance the cops have to offer is just shooting the person dead.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/20160213/lawsuit-filed-over-state-police-shooting-death
http://fox40.com/2017/03/19/family-speaks-out-after-chico-police-shoot-kill-25-year-old/
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mom-girl-accidentally-shot-speaks-article-1.2392772

They even do this to white people.

American police get little to no training on how to handle people with words beyond trying to be the biggest authority around, and unfortunately you can't train compassion into someone without giving them really strict rules about how to operate. In the absence of those rules, they treat mentally ill people having an episode the same way they treat a totally rational person inciting violence: point a gun at them, scream at them to comply with orders, and then shoot them when they panic.

Some of you may remember a viral video a while back of an autistic person having a crying and self-harming fit being comforted by a dog. They were killed by police last year when the police were called over a suicide attempt and the officers utterly failed to defuse the situation and opened fire instead.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I wish they had killed that loving guy, the nerve of some people, not volunteering to do a thing!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
It's also compounded by the fact that most government mental health services and institutions were shut down in the 70's and 80's so suddenly you had a bunch of mentally ill people with no access to services or medication and they're on the streets trying to survive. The police are going to be basically their first line of contact for most issues and the police are not trained enough in how to handle the mentally ill so most confrontations end up violent.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ravenkult posted:

In another thread, it was revealed it wasn't "offering the seats," it was "4 employees needed to get across the country to do their jobs on a different airplane."

There were gently caress-ups in this situation, completely, and from multiple angles, but it wasn't instigated on a whim.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
LOL, bye United, it was nice knowing you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Avenging_Mikon posted:

In another thread, it was revealed it wasn't "offering the seats," it was "4 employees needed to get across the country to do their jobs on a different airplane."

There were gently caress-ups in this situation, completely, and from multiple angles, but it wasn't instigated on a whim.

Oh okay then they did a good job of it