Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Artum posted:

Rule of 3 doesn't apply to troops and dedicated transports, so that's still 1150 pts for the 6 troops in that battalion.

Right. The problem is the HQ. Only Archons for Kabals.

1 Heavy Detachment KoBH for 3x Ravagers (1 Archon). 1 Battalion KoPT for 6x Troops (2 Archons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Schadenboner posted:

Do we think Deathwatch Primarii are going to get special ammo for their bolt weapons?

I think the plural is just Primaris.

I both hope they do and hope they don't. Bolt Rifles being AP -3 within 12" would be nuts, though not at nuts as Inceptors with S5 AP -3 24" Assault 3 guns.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MasterSlowPoke posted:

*knocks books out of your arms on the way to class*

NERD!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mef989 posted:

Will this take off oil based primer like krylon fusion? I've noticed Simple Green doesn't do anything to oil based paint.

not sure, but it works on motor oil stains so perhaps? if it doesnt, youre only out a buck plus tax

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

it's primarii

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/primarius#Latin

primariae for lady marines

e: "primarii ite domum"

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

That's latin, not stupid made up sci fi.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Right. The problem is the HQ. Only Archons for Kabals.

1 Heavy Detachment KoBH for 3x Ravagers (1 Archon). 1 Battalion KoPT for 6x Troops (2 Archons).
            It's my time to shine!
                                 \

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

zeal posted:

it's primarii

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/primarius#Latin

primariae for lady marines

e: "primarii ite domum"

*knocks books out of own arms on the way to class*

I'M CONSUMED BY SELF-LOATHING!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That's latin, not stupid made up sci fi.

It's my time to shine!
                                 \

Lol yeah he technically works. Even if he's pure CC in a shooty army and ridiculously over costed at 120 points.

e: I do love that model :)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Two DE lists (sorry SRM and others bored by this). Both with LGT restrictions, so only 1 of each kind of detachment.

1:

Black Heart Battalion (6+ FNP on vehicles)
2x Archon, blasters, huskblades (1 is Warlord with CP trait + re-roll 1s to wound relic)
3x 5 Kabalites, one blaster
5x Venoms, double splinter cannons
3x Ravagers, triple dark lances
1x Voidraven, double void lances and missiles

Prophets of the Flesh Patrol (+1 invuln save)
Urien Rakarth
7 Wracks

Red Grief Spearhead (advance and charge, re-roll charges)
Succubus
20 Wyches, 2x shardnets, 1x razorflail
12 Reavers, 4 blasters
2x 10 Hellions, phantasm launcher, agoniser

2:

Flayed Skull Battalion (3" extra move on FLY, re-roll 1s to hit with rapid fire for FLY or anything in a vehicle with FLY, ignore cover for same)
2x Archons, blaster, huskblade
2x 10 Kabalites, 2 blasters, 1 splinter cannon
1x 5 Kabalites, blaster
5x Venoms, double splinter cannons

Black Heart Spearhead (as above)
Archon, blaster, huskblade, Warlord as above
3x Ravagers, triple dark lances
3x Raiders, dark lance
1x Voidraven, double void lances and missiles

Red Grief Patrol (as above)
Succubus
5 Wyches, blast pistol
6 Reavers, 2 blasters

I feel like 1 is more flexible and does anti-infantry better but 2 has more lances and is less reliant on stuff like the fragile Wyches getting to combat or the 10-Hellion units which feel like they might just end up getting killed off easily. 2 is paying quite a lot of tax in Succubus + Wyches just to get 6 Reaver Jetbikes in; on the flipside the Prophets of the Flesh patrol is paying a lot for Urien and 7 Wracks for a 66% chance to get 1-2 extra command points (although tough Troops with a 4++/6+++ which can Tide of Traitors has a value all of its own).

List 1 the Coven detachment is 153pts and list 2 the Red Grief detachment is 252pts if either of them seems like they could be more efficiently replaced (pref. with things I actually own).

If I owned 6 Talos I'd run that list instead but I don't and I don't have time, money or inclination to buy, build and paint them by the 18th of May.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Continuing on with Gaunt discussion, a point that hasn't been brought up yet is Gaunt's own feelings towards his dual rank. As others have said, authority-wise he's drifted much closer to the "colonel" part of his job emotionally and professionally than the "commissar" part. In The Guns of Tanith, he's offered a promotion to Brigadier General in the Guard, on the condition that he resigns his Commissariat commission. In part this is to resolve a tension that upper-echelon commanders of the Crusade feel: how can he fulfill both roles if a primary responsibility of a regiment's commissar is to maintain a check on the loyalty and efficacy of the regiment's commissar?

At this point in the series, Gaunt feels somewhat comfortable in his role but also trapped by it. He's developed a bond with the last survivors of Tanith and is unwilling to abandon them individually or as a group. If he were to accept the promotion, another commissar would be appointed to the regiment to handle discipline, possibly upsetting the balance Gaunt has setup. Maybe this other commissar would execute a trooper pour encourager les autres. Gaunt doesn't want that to happen.

In later novels, a second (and third) commissar are eventually appointed regardless, and Gaunt's relationship with those officers continues to explore the theme of dueling loyalties.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 24, 2018

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Finished painting Intercessors and dread weapons. Have some crap pics.

Tactical marine is from 3-4 years ago.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Continuing on with Gaunt discussion, a point that hasn't been brought up yet is Gaunt's own feelings towards his dual rank. As others have said, authority-wise he's drifted much closer to the "colonel" part of his job emotionally and professionally than the "commissar" part. In The Guns of Tanith, he's offered a promotion to Brigadier General in the Guard, on the condition that he resigns his Commissariat commission. In part this is to resolve a tension that upper-echelon commanders of the Crusade feel: how can he fulfill both roles if a primary responsibility of a regiment's commissar is to maintain a check on the loyalty and efficacy of the regiment's commissar?

At this point in the series, Gaunt feels somewhat comfortable in his role but also trapped by it. He's developed a bond with the last survivors of Tanith and is unwilling to abandon them individually or as a group. If he were to accept the promotion, another commissar would be appointed to the regiment to handle discipline, possibly upsetting the balance Gaunt has setup. Maybe this other commissar would execute a trooper pour encourager les autres. Gaunt doesn't want that to happen.

In later novels, a second (and third) commissar are eventually appointed regardless, and Gaunt's relationship with those officers continues to explore the theme of dueling loyalties.

I don't know what any of this is about and I'm just picturing a hormagaunt wearing a long coat and commissar hat.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Corrode posted:

Drukhari List :words:

Again, I haven't even played a game of 8th ed 40k, so I'm literally just reporting from 2 sources:

1. What top competitive players have said
2. Proven Mathhammer (where I could double check the figures)

General Thoughts:

A. Replace DLs with Dissies. Disintegrators are better than dark lances. They are much better than DLs against infrantry and almost as good as DL against heavy vehicles. Disintegrators are 75% the cost of DL's. Every DL should be replaced by a dissie.
B. Don't like big Black Heart detachment. Black Heart has a weak obsession to balance it having great everything else. List 1 having a huge battalion of Black Heart is inefficient.
C. Poisoned Tongue is often the best kabal obsession. Units within the Archon bubbles re-roll hits of 1, which is what flayed skull offers. So PT units inside archon bubble get most of the flayed skull benefit anyway + re-roll wounds of 1. (Not troops inside transports, but with how many venoms you're running that's okay) (On the other hand, I'm not sure how often cover actually comes up in tourneys, maybe that's super useful?).
D. Many venoms > several Raiders. This distributes your threats more evenly and allows higher flexibility. This is still up in the air, but pros seem to still favor venoms. Related, many small 5x kabals instead of 10 man squads.

Overall Thoughts:

I think list 2 is stronger, especially with the above changes. I'd also change the cults from a patrol to an outrider just to get 3x minimum reavers squads to first turn charge whatever shooty thing needs to be tied up in combat. I think with smaller squad sizes in venoms instead of raiders and other changes you might be able to squeeze in another voidraven?

e:

Corrode posted:

If I owned 6 Talos I'd run that list instead but I don't and I don't have time, money or inclination to buy, build and paint them by the 18th of May.
Yeah I hear you. I think that these are the only coven units worth running because; they get insane with coven bonuses, can have decent shooting, and screen the kabals well. Some allegedly competitive german player was tinkering with math hammer on mass wracks but he hadn't tried it out yet.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 24, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Wait, is there a rule that limits outriders/vanguards/spearhead detachments that I don't know about? Can an army have 1 outrider and 1 spearhead assuming all other reqs are met?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Wait, is there a rule that limits outriders/vanguards/spearhead detachments that I don't know about? Can an army have 1 outrider and 1 spearhead assuming all other reqs are met?

There is not. The only thing that really restricts detachments these days is the rule of 3 for non troops/ DTs combined with not having many options for HQs. This seems to hit dark eldar the hardest. Also sisters and cult mech.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Badcast Boys, tell me more about the pseudo racist writings of Jonathan Green, what's his deal

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Master Twig posted:

There is not. The only thing that really restricts detachments these days is the rule of 3 for non troops/ DTs combined with not having many options for HQs. This seems to hit dark eldar the hardest. Also sisters and cult mech.

Cool, thank you! That's what I thought. Yeah then I think 3x minimum naked reavers are the way to go.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Are(were?) horde armies in general really good, or is it specifically the horde armies that can effectively respawn huge units at full strength?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
If you can chuck a ton of dice, it seems like you're better. This is coming from a scrub, mind you. But it feels true to me.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

pour encourager les autres

I've been trying to remember this phrase for a goddamn age. "Saying from Candide" isn't exactly a useful :google: search string.

:tipshat:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

TheBigAristotle posted:

If you can chuck a ton of dice, it seems like you're better. This is coming from a scrub, mind you. But it feels true to me.

This is what I'm seeing. Even stuff like the Disintegrator versus DL emphasize this. While they have roughly the same expected value against vehicles, the DL has a much higher variance.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Are(were?) horde armies in general really good, or is it specifically the horde armies that can effectively respawn huge units at full strength?

Low BS shooting is better than it used to be, screening is incredibly powerful with how good characters are, blobs let you effectively zone deep striking and control space around objectives. Cheap troops can do a lot of work this edition.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Again, I haven't even played a game of 8th ed 40k, so I'm literally just reporting from 2 sources:

1. What top competitive players have said
2. Proven Mathhammer (where I could double check the figures)

General Thoughts:

A. Replace DLs with Dissies. Disintegrators are better than dark lances. They are much better than DLs against infrantry and almost as good as DL against heavy vehicles. Disintegrators are 75% the cost of DL's. Every DL should be replaced by a dissie.
B. Don't like big Black Heart detachment. Black Heart has a weak obsession to balance it having great everything else. List 1 having a huge battalion of Black Heart is inefficient.
C. Poisoned Tongue is often the best kabal obsession. Units within the Archon bubbles re-roll hits of 1, which is what flayed skull offers. So PT units inside archon bubble get most of the flayed skull benefit anyway + re-roll wounds of 1. (Not troops inside transports, but with how many venoms you're running that's okay) (On the other hand, I'm not sure how often cover actually comes up in tourneys, maybe that's super useful?).
D. Many venoms > several Raiders. This distributes your threats more evenly and allows higher flexibility. This is still up in the air, but pros seem to still favor venoms. Related, many small 5x kabals instead of 10 man squads.

Overall Thoughts:

I think list 2 is stronger, especially with the above changes. I'd also change the cults from a patrol to an outrider just to get 3x minimum reavers squads to first turn charge whatever shooty thing needs to be tied up in combat. I think with smaller squad sizes in venoms instead of raiders and other changes you might be able to squeeze in another voidraven?

e:
Yeah I hear you. I think that these are the only coven units worth running because; they get insane with coven bonuses, can have decent shooting, and screen the kabals well. Some allegedly competitive german player was tinkering with math hammer on mass wracks but he hadn't tried it out yet.

Some of this can't be done sadly - I own zero disintegrators and while WYSIWYG is on its way out, the highest-profile tournament in the UK is probably not the place to test the theory of whether it's completely dead. I definitely see the argument for them and if I had any I'd be trying it out, but right now it's not doable.

I also disagree on Poisoned Tongue as being the objectively best bonus, for two reasons. 1, Archons on foot are slow as gently caress compared to the vehicles they're chasing, and 2 the re-roll aura doesn't apply to things mounted in vehicles. People focus on the re-roll with Flayed Skull, but the ignore cover and 3" extra move is big too. The Lawrence list you're thinking of plays very differently to how I play DE - he plays a much slower list, with the Venoms advancing behind the Talos block. That works well because the Talos offer a big counter-charge threat, solid shooting, and are a big fat block of tough wounds to get rid of. My list uses the Venoms much more independently, where they aren't necessarily going to be near the Archon to get the re-rolls. What normally ends up happening is that the Venoms are all over the board throwing poison into things and charging or piling in to lock up shooting, while the Raiders and Ravagers are in a scrum around the Warlord to give them the double auras.

Agree on Black Heart not being ideal, although I'd note that getting FNP on the vehicles is highly useful. It's only that way in list 1 because of the limitations on number of detachments.

I'm limited to 5 Venoms, although that could potentially go up since I have some amount of budget to work with (although time is also a crucial factor). 2 is very close to the list I played on Sunday which a) was successful and b) I've had some practice playing, so I'll stick with that or something similar. May try it with 3 small Reavers instead of the 1 block of six, which could work better and provide more ability to get across the board and harass things early on.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Deified Data posted:

Badcast Boys, tell me more about the pseudo racist writings of Jonathan Green, what's his deal

I think he’s the guy they talked about in an old episode that wrote the Armageddon books that are just Black Templars in Vietnam

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I thought he was that dude who wrote Fault in Our Stars

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Uroboros posted:

Finished painting Intercessors and dread weapons. Have some crap pics.

Tactical marine is from 3-4 years ago.

I really like the look of those bases, how did you create that tile?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

He's racist against Crabgrass.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Moving off DE chat to xpost from the keep painting thread:

Corrode posted:

Painted up some of the other sort of robot men:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Corrode posted:

Some of this can't be done sadly - I own zero disintegrators and while WYSIWYG is on its way out, the highest-profile tournament in the UK is probably not the place to test the theory of whether it's completely dead. I definitely see the argument for them and if I had any I'd be trying it out, but right now it's not doable.

Zoinks, another reason for me to at least try magnets lol.

Corrode posted:

I also disagree on Poisoned Tongue as being the objectively best bonus, for two reasons. 1, Archons on foot are slow as gently caress compared to the vehicles they're chasing, and 2 the re-roll aura doesn't apply to things mounted in vehicles. People focus on the re-roll with Flayed Skull, but the ignore cover and 3" extra move is big too. The Lawrence list you're thinking of plays very differently to how I play DE - he plays a much slower list, with the Venoms advancing behind the Talos block. That works well because the Talos offer a big counter-charge threat, solid shooting, and are a big fat block of tough wounds to get rid of. My list uses the Venoms much more independently, where they aren't necessarily going to be near the Archon to get the re-rolls. What normally ends up happening is that the Venoms are all over the board throwing poison into things and charging or piling in to lock up shooting, while the Raiders and Ravagers are in a scrum around the Warlord to give them the double auras.
Wouldn't this make PT even better for your army? The PT re-roll 1 to wound applies to all poisonous ranged weapons and all melee weapons, regardless if flying or not. FS only applies re-roll 1 to hit for rapid weapons on flying. Without Talos screening, or just generally playing a faster army like you prefer, it seems more likely that your ships will get popped and dudes will end up on foot. In which case they'd still get to keep their PT and would lose their FS.

Also, more weapons in your army are going to be poisonous than rapid fire. (Unless I'm reading this wrong? The weapon entry has to literally say rapid fire like it does for splinter rifles, right?)
Also, while a small amount of the time, it's still more than 0% of the time that an archon is going to be on foot bestowing his re-roll to his aura.

e: Does the PT bonus apply to vehicles in close combat too?

Corrode posted:

Agree on Black Heart not being ideal, although I'd note that getting FNP on the vehicles is highly useful. It's only that way in list 1 because of the limitations on number of detachments.

Agreed, sneaking that FNP onto the vehicles is nice. How have the flyers been treating you? The razor wing fighter seems to be better for the points among the two options, but I don't know if it's the best use of points overall.

Good luck my friend, seems like a close to optimal list given the models available :)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 24, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Wouldn't this make PT even better for your army? The PT re-roll 1 to wound applies to all poisonous ranged weapons and all melee weapons, regardless if flying or not. FS only applies re-roll 1 to hit for rapid weapons on flying. Without Talos screening, or just generally playing a faster army like you prefer, it seems more likely that your ships will get popped and dudes will end up on foot. In which case they'd still get to keep their PT and would lose their FS.

Also, more weapons in your army are going to be poisonous than rapid fire. (Unless I'm reading this wrong? The weapon entry has to literally say rapid fire like it does for splinter rifles, right?)
Also, while a small amount of the time, it's still more than 0% of the time that an archon is going to be on foot bestowing his re-roll to his aura.

e: Does the PT bonus apply to vehicles in close combat too?

Agreed, sneaking that FNP onto the vehicles is nice. How have the flyers been treating you? The razor wing fighter seems to be better for the points among the two options, but I don't know if it's the best use of points overall.

Good luck my friend, seems like a close to optimal list given the models available :)

Yeah Poisoned Tongue is worth trying (and I might just make a straight swap and try it out). "Rapid fire" and "poison" are basically synonymous in DE, and certainly in my army - all the poisoned stuff is rapid fire, and all the rapid fire is poison. It's worth considering the re-roll 1s to wound in melee, since that would make the Archons pull their weight in combat a little more. It would affect the vehicles too, since bladevanes are a close combat weapon.

I've only had one game with the Voidraven. It was fine, the lances were handy, the bomb took off a Scout squad, the missiles were underwhelming. I need to look at both types of plane again.

My only real goal for LGT is a 3-2 record, so fingers crossed that's achievable at least.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Nunes posted:

I really like the look of those bases, how did you create that tile?

DragonForge Design Studios, they come that way.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
What's the best way to go about it if I wanted to magnetize the bases for all of my Necron units with Fly? I mean Destroyers, Tomb Blades, Doomsday Arks, the works. My CA glue lets the magnets snap off of the larger vehicles recently.

My best guess so far is to drill into the ports and install smaller magnets inside the model to help hold a larger magnet on its bottom; then, glue another large magnet onto the top of the flight stand. It seems excessive, though, somehow.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Spurred on by the lilting tones of the 40k badcast, Hemlock is ready to roll (apart from the step of upending half a pot of astrogranite debris onto the base, but there’s no way i’m taking double flyers to a pick up game at club night, so i can always use my CH’s base in the interim):

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ugh

ork book when

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

One_Wing posted:

there’s no way i’m taking double flyers to a pick up game at club night

Dooooooooo it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

One_Wing posted:

Spurred on by the lilting tones of the 40k badcast, Hemlock is ready to roll (apart from the step of upending half a pot of astrogranite debris onto the base, but there’s no way i’m taking double flyers to a pick up game at club night, so i can always use my CH’s base in the interim):

That looks so loving good. Masking and airbrush or some other technique?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

Schadenboner posted:

Dooooooooo it.

I went to a tournament on Sunday, so my lust for inflicting highly optimised death is temporarily sated. If I don’t get the Avatar of Khaine out and run a full fluff list in these brief windows it’ll never happen.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

That looks so loving good. Masking and airbrush or some other technique?

Thanks! It’s all done by brush, but bear in mind that the really nice thing about Eldar vehicles for a painter of (at best) modest talents like me is that the fuselages are separated into nice distinct panels by sunken moulded lines. I’m not great at the technical brushwork, but I’m pretty good at looking at one of those models and blocking out a scheme that will look striking, and once you’ve done that it basically turns into 3D paint by numbers process.

I did have to do a lot of layers to get the colours nice and crisp - the light green is 2 coats of waagh flesh and 2 of warboss green, the darker the same numbers but Caliban green and warpstone glow, and the white is two coats of celestra grey and 3-4 of white scar (and it still looks less even than i’d like up close).

I am not sad that i now get to take a break from painting any great amount of white for the forseeble future,

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah I was going to say, the texture and blue lining creeping out of the channel (only noticable when you're looking close at it, nothing horrible) say "hand-brushing".

It looks great and that's not meant as an insult though. Especially considering how much of a complete PITA painting white can be. The few gold details look stellar against the flat white and greens.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

One_Wing posted:

I went to a tournament on Sunday, so my lust for inflicting highly optimised death is temporarily sated. If I don’t get the Avatar of Khaine out and run a full fluff list in these brief windows it’ll never happen.
I'm running a chaplain in a list that has guilliman in it for round 3 against magnus tomorrow, he does literally nothing for the army but hes cool, do the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Corrode posted:

I'm limited to 5 Venoms

I am confused, I thought the new FAQ said you can only have 3 of a datasheet?