Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Scyther posted:

What other games have dice with blank faces? All I can think of is Betrayal at House on the Hill

Small World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

1775 and 1812, as well as Small World. Blank faces aren't exactly uncommon in games where dice and low numbers are involved.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Yeah, I figured I was probably having a brain fart. HeroScape has blank faces too.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Scyther posted:

What other games have dice with blank faces? All I can think of is Betrayal at House on the Hill

Cyclades (well, 0 rather than blank). But dice are only used for opposed roles, so the dice could have been 1-2-2-3-3-4 instead of 0-1-1-2-2-3 without affecting anything.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Man, dice get a bad rap but they're used so well in 1812/1775. You have the damage faces which remove enemy units, retreat faces which take your units off the field but they come back during reinforcements, and the blank face lets you withdraw safely. The results of combat is all luck but the three options give you some kind of positive result whether it's killing a dude, coming back later in force, or moving back to unoccupied territory. There's no "you failed" to the results which is the most frustrating thing about dice based games.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

al-azad posted:

Man, dice get a bad rap but they're used so well in 1812/1775. You have the damage faces which remove enemy units, retreat faces which take your units off the field but they come back during reinforcements, and the blank face lets you withdraw safely. The results of combat is all luck but the three options give you some kind of positive result whether it's killing a dude, coming back later in force, or moving back to unoccupied territory. There's no "you failed" to the results which is the most frustrating thing about dice based games.

Dice are great when every side gives you some kind of action. Especially if they're up front for the turn. Plus, it's just satisfying to roll dice.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

EVGA Longoria posted:

Dice are great when every side gives you some kind of action. Especially if they're up front for the turn. Plus, it's just satisfying to roll dice.

I like the blank faces on X-wing because they actually explore the design space where some pilots or upgrades specifically require blank spaces only.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scyther posted:

Cthulhu Wars, if you're using the official combat dice.
The Ancient World.
Celestia.
A Study in Emerald.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Chaos in the Old World might has well have dice with three blank faces, since 1-3 is a miss.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Some Numbers posted:

Chaos in the Old World might has well have dice with three blank faces, since 1-3 is a miss.

Same thing for Space Hulk the vast majority of the time, since 1-4 is a miss with any action that's not a Space Marine special weapon.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Robinson Crusoe has dice with blank faces, but those are actually good rolls, because they mean you didn't somehow injure yourself or embark on a perilous adventure while trying to weave a goddamn basket.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh yeah, the exposure die in Dead of Winter is like that.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

taser rates posted:

I don't think so, that was just for unsleeved. I'm not even going to consider sleeving MB though, the store deck is already ridiculously big and difficult to shuffle as it is, feels like the box would collapse into a black hole if sleeved.

Cards have to sleeved. No exceptions :colbert:

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Is the Dark Souls board game going to be strictly cooperative, or will you be able to battle other players?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

dropkickpikachu posted:

Is the Dark Souls board game going to be strictly cooperative, or will you be able to battle other players?

You break into their houses while they play and slam down your red painted mini onto the board.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Broken Loose posted:

Yes, actually! Kill Doctor Lucky is a very bad game which I absolutely love. There is heavy politics, rampant kingmaking potential, ridiculously high RNG both pre- and post-decision, an incredibly fun but incredibly unfair turn order system that basically requires players to chain actions in a specific manner, and the whole thing takes way too loving long. The only thing missing is player elimination.

KDL is playable and enjoyable primarily through its strong theming (a strong theme alloy supplemented by a fair amount of dripping theme layered on top), very unorthodox but abusable turn-order system (basically, turns go clockwise until somebody positions the Doctor in a way as to intercept the current turn), significantly tense bluffing mechanisms, high amount of individual true choices, and the severity of its climaxes. All of these are why I like the game, but they do not make up for the fundamental issues the game has compared to better, newer games.

Are we talking original cardboard envelope Cheapass Kill Dr. Lucky or the fancier remake that adds the Spite mechanic?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Ha! Apparently if you play Olympic Games at DEFCON 2 and your opponent boycotts, you lose! It really seems like the boycotter should lose in that situation.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In all cases, whoever is currently acting loses in case of DEFCON 1. This means it's always up to the active player to avoid it, and anything which could let your opponent drop DEFCON during your turn is incredibly dangerous (see: Lone Gunman, CIA Created.)

(I lost a game because I somehow forgot that the US can coup on Tear Down This Wall)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

CaptainRightful posted:

Ha! Apparently if you play Olympic Games at DEFCON 2 and your opponent boycotts, you lose! It really seems like the boycotter should lose in that situation.

You think that's hilarious, try playing Olympic Games as your headline and have your opponent play a resolving-first headline that lets them drop DEFCON to 2.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Well now, no-one forced you to host the Olympics during the equivalent of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Missile Envy into We Will Bury You is another fun one

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

CaptainRightful posted:

Yeah, that's such a common trap it's highlighted in the rulebook.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

"What caused the thermonuclear holocaust that destroyed the entire world?"

"A country hosted an event that is the epitome of international friendliness."

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Machai posted:

You break into their houses while they play and slam down your red painted mini onto the board.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I'm

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Broken Loose posted:

Broken Loose Was Right Again, 2016 (A story in 5 words.)

"the dice have blank faces"

For Sale: Kickstarter game, never played.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

See also; Megaman board game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scyther posted:

Mage Wars has dice that are almost identical to Betrayal at House on the Hill, with two 2s, two 1s, and two blanks (misses). One set of the numbers has a star around it to indicate critical hits though. I think its a good system personally, it compresses the typical "roll to hit" and "roll for damage" into a single action.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

"A country sponsored an event that is the epitome of international friendliness dick waving, agenda pushing pissing matches."[/s]

Fixed that for you. When you invite your co-worker over for your barbecue and he and 60 of his best friends, including people you're trying to hang out with, tell you to "gently caress off" it kind of puts you on edge. Although the Soviets did hold the Friendship Games in 1984, strongly denying it had nothing to do with their Los Angeles hosted boycott.

Rocky IV is like the perfect allegory for that era.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

al-azad posted:

Fixed that for you. When you invite your co-worker over for your barbecue and he and 60 of his best friends, including people you're trying to hang out with, tell you to "gently caress off" it kind of puts you on edge. Although the Soviets did hold the Friendship Games in 1984, strongly denying it had nothing to do with their Los Angeles hosted boycott.

Rocky IV is like the perfect allegory for that era.

OK, but even in '80 and '84, Olympic boycotts were a pretty mild form of protest. Neither side was going to launch nukes in response to the other declining to attend. I feel like the game could better account for proportional response.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

OK, but even in '80 and '84, Olympic boycotts were a pretty mild form of protest. Neither side was going to launch nukes in response to the other declining to attend. I feel like the game could better account for proportional response.

Sure, it's an abstraction and Twilight Struggle doesn't proclaim an accurate portrayal of history but at DEFCON 2 everyone is paranoid as poo poo and when your ally's best-of-the-best are in one location and your enemy is like "gently caress off" you're probably going to get a little jumpy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If you start looking too hard at TS you start asking why the #1 target to discard with Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You is Lone Gunman. It's an abstraction of a deliberately oversimplified model of the Cold War the developers totally disagree with.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

For an example of the former: I didn't realize at first that DEFCON level disallows coups and realignments in different regions. The interface doesn't make that clear: you can highlight an ineligible country, the click doesn't work, but the game doesn't tell you why.

There's a reminder of that rule when you click on the defcon/milops track (there's also good information clicking the other things at the top). I agree it should at least tell you what's wrong when you try to pick an ineligible country.

They said on BGG the hanging animations thing is fixed for the next version, at least.

DEFCON loss is really dissonant in general - the player should even be aiming to force the opponent into starting a nuclear war! You sure will look like the good guys in 5,000 years, that'll show them.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

rchandra posted:

There's a reminder of that rule when you click on the defcon/milops track (there's also good information clicking the other things at the top). I agree it should at least tell you what's wrong when you try to pick an ineligible country.

They said on BGG the hanging animations thing is fixed for the next version, at least.

DEFCON loss is really dissonant in general - the player should even be aiming to force the opponent into starting a nuclear war! You sure will look like the good guys in 5,000 years, that'll show them.

Its there to stop "I'm losing? NUCLEAR WAR! NOW WE BOTH LOSE" which is what would happen otherwise. It makes sense that the nation that is to blame for starting the nuclear war would be the "loser" of the two, even if everyone loses in that scenario.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

CaptainRightful posted:

For an example of the former: I didn't realize at first that DEFCON level disallows coups and realignments in different regions. The interface doesn't make that clear: you can highlight an ineligible country, the click doesn't work, but the game doesn't tell you why.

Just in case anyone wasn't aware as well, there's a mushroom cloud symbol under the region name on the board when that region's locked out by DEFCON. I agree that the interface should make it a bit more obvious that "hey, DEFCON means you can't do the thing you're trying to do," but it eventually gets internalised.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
DEFCON craziness IMO represents the increasing group think and disconnect from reality that characterised the second half of the Cold War, with the potential death toll from global thermonuclear war becoming increasingly abstract to the strategic community. The whole game represents crazy game theory , domino strategies and the abstracted decision making that went on in intelligence think tanks. Reading papers from that era is like reading strategy discussions about TS, the board game.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

If you start looking too hard at TS you start asking why the #1 target to discard with Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You is Lone Gunman. It's an abstraction of a deliberately oversimplified model of the Cold War the developers totally disagree with.

And it works! The zero-sum mentality of everything is so perfectly encapsulated in game. Any concern for "human rights" or "international law" is purely Machiavellian, etc.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
A couple pages ago someone said to pick up Lost Legion before it's too late. Is that out of print or something? I haven't gotten a lot of play in yet of the MK base set, but now I'm nervous that if I don't make a CSI order soon I'll miss out on the expansion.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

CaptainRightful posted:

"A country hosted an event that is the epitome of international friendliness."

To be fair to the theme, the Olympics during the Cold War were not the epitome of international friendliness. They were Serious Point-Scoring Business. Not that the world ended when the USSR boycotted the LA Olympics, but DEFCON wasn't at 2!

The suitable thematic answer is that relations broke down so much that thermonuclear war started and you both died out as much as each other, as the last humans died from radiation poisoning, they cursed your side for causing this to happen.

People talk about NATO never being chosen as an event over OPs, We Will Bury You can be an exercise to get it out of your hand ASAP as Soviet, in case they Missile Envy you after you coup down to DEFCON 2. At first I used to think that it was a crappy card because there is no choice, you would never pick the event over 4 OP, but over time I've come to realise it's all about the other guy having it, not you, that's when it's good. 4 points though...

I also like how the game state changes for TS. Cards which at the beginning give you VP, you easily ignore in favour of the OPs. But come late game with Wargames or scoring cards to come out, the same cards can become knife fights where you accept that you can't hold anywhere except the Middle East but you don't need to hold out if you just grab the 7ore points to win.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I always imagine this is how the thermonuclear war erupts over olympics.

I know that :goonsay: to trigger the DEFCON-suicide you have to not actually show to the games, but gently caress you, you're not even my real dads.

And in bad quality video.