Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Meld seems interesting, as long as one piece of every Meld is common. It's also possible that not every Meld will reference a specific card, you might just need a human or an artifact or something. Hanweir, the Writhing Township is presumably a Meld card. Maybe the front side is like "at the beginning of combat, if you have this + 3 Humans, exile them and Meld them into Hanweir, the Writhing Township."

Hopefully only one of the cards required to Meld is actually a double-faced card. As cool as it would be to have a two-part card it sounds really annoying for draft. You just will never get the 2nd piece of what you need because someone else will see that you need it and take it.

I could see them doing interesting things with Meld. Maybe one or both parts need to be in your graveyard. Maybe You need to pay mana to Meld. Though maybe it is more straightforward and is just "if you control these 2 things, meld them" and both are DFCs.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Meld is absurd and I love it, even tho I have no clue what it's doing. Like if you have both Halves they flip into the same creature?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah, presumably they each have half of the resulting card on the back like we saw with the misprinted Endbringer. Seems odd from a gameplay perspective but it's really cool so I think I'll give it a pass.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Could be both. Could be some melds require two cards and flip into a two-part card, others require "this creature plus three clues" and the melded form fits on one card. We'll find out tomorrow.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I guess now we know how the gisela/bruna hybrid thing is going to work

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Remember when people bitched about blue control decks being poo poo in modern.? Seems not that long ago.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Remember when people bitched about blue control decks being poo poo in modern.? Seems not that long ago.

Modern truly is the new perfect format, with every archetype being playable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Modern truly is the new perfect format, with every archetype being playable.

Amen.

Truly the best format.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Does anyone have that picture of fused Bruna/Gisela?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

flavor article: A series of randoms saying things like One'mrakul, We'mrakul, You'mrakul, etc.

nahiri summons emrakul

gisela and bruna merge into whatever this is:

jace calls for the cavalry

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm gonna laugh if Nicol Bolas shows up to Innistrad just to go, "NOPE!"

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

DangerDongs posted:

Declaration in stone is a cheaper maelstorm pulse for tokens.

Edit: Why aren't people bringing Rites decks. Don't they have an advantage against G/W tokens, and lose to B/W control which is only seeing less and less play.

right but the decks playing tokens are also playing declaration so its just more reason to play tokens.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So I did pretty well at the GP.

Total cost: $0 plus $12 parking.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

So did you steal them or do you really mean "I buylisted a lot of cards for credit so it's like I didn't pay anything" because the second one is not as impressive unless you buylisted like a playset of firebolts.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Minority Deport posted:

The Midnight Scavengers art hasn't been seen anywhere yet, so I guess this is real? They apparently did this mechanic in Duel Monsters.

(from here)

If they actually pull this off, I'm going to be loving impressed. Though I have to wonder if Bruna and Gisela won't be on one card, and fuse with something else, because otherwise that will literally never happen in Limited.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

So did you steal them or do you really mean "I buylisted a lot of cards for credit so it's like I didn't pay anything" because the second one is not as impressive unless you buylisted like a playset of firebolts.

I spent $0 (though I did spend $40 on prints and signatures and stuff.) There were a few valuable things but mostly just a ton of copies of Brainstorm, StP, Thirst for Knowledge, etc.

Edit:I also got a Judge SoFI that I already put in Death and Taxes.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 27, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
gently caress you, GU Infect. gently caress yooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sickening posted:

I recently sold my Magic Online collection for $2200. I sold everything but my Modern mono-blue control deck, or so I thought. I accidentally sold the Cryptic Commands.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I spent $0 (though I did spend $40 on prints and signatures and stuff.) There were a few valueable things but mostly just a ton of copies of Brainstorm, StP, Thirst for Knowledge, etc.

Edit:I also got a Judge SoFI that I already put in Death and Taxes.

So you turned some money into a smaller amount of money. You did so well.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

So you turned some money into a smaller amount of money. You did so well.

I mean I took a giant pile Raven's Crimes, Brainstorms, Street Wraiths, and other random junk I'll never need and paid 5-10 cents for, sold a few Lilis and other stuff for almost 4x what I paid for them, got $2k worth of sweet cards out of it, helped my friend get good prices on duals to start building a legacy deck (thanks What a Judas!,) and did it in a few hours. So thanks, I'll take your worthless post and treat it as a compliment.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I mean I took a giant pile Raven's Crimes, Brainstorms, Street Wraiths, and other random junk I'll never need and paid 5-10 cents for, sold a few Lilis and other stuff for almost 4x what I paid for them, got $2k worth of sweet cards out of it, helped my friend get good prices on duals to start building a legacy deck (thanks What a Judas!,) and did it in a few hours. So thanks, I'll take your worthless post and treat it as a compliment.

So you traded 3k worth of cards to get 2k worth of cards. If you had just said that instead of posting expensive cards you got for "0 dollars" nobody would have mocked it.

Grats on having some cards that went up in value. I am sure you had more of those than the ones that went down in value.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 27, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Time is the greatest cost of all, friends.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Look what #mtgfinance is doing to us

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

So you traded 3k worth of cards to get 2k worth of cards. If you had just said that instead of posting expensive cards you got for "0 dollars" nobody would have mocked it.

Grats on having some cards that went up in value. I am sure you had more of those than the ones that went down in value.

shut the gently caress up

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.
I think clues should stick around and ravnica guild cluestones should get a retroactive artifact type update like artifact creatures did.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

There's going to have to be something really interesting going on for me to be interested in casting a half dozen variations on Big Furry Monster

Seems so weird and gimmicky

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

What cards have actually dropped in value? The only notable cards are stuff that got banned (and even the cards that have been banned in Modern held way more value that I'd have expected because lol price memory), or stuff that was actually reprinted in a reasonable amount like Misdirection or Stifle since Conspiracy was one of the few times WotC felt like reducing prices on eternal cards. Magic card prices are currently in a bubble - it's to be expected that most cards are going to be increasing in price until the bubble pops.

I've been playing since Nemesis, and random bullshit rares and uncommons are vastly more expensive than anyone could have imagined when I first started playing. Chrome Mox being $20, Arcbound Ravager $10 and Skullclamp being a $5 uncommon were absurd, and they were that expensive for a reason - they weren't optional if you wanted to play standard. Sure, standard cards drop in price after rotation if they're useless for modern, but that's to be expected. Meanwhile you get poo poo like Ghostly Prison being a $10 uncommon, or bulk rares like Mana Echoes or Wheel and Deal being worth something when they were the poo poo rare you hated to open back in the day. I went through my old boxes of rares and pulled enough value from them to build eight modern decks trading into my local store. If you've been playing forever, you're going to have a bunch of cards that are worth money even if they were worthless a few years ago. Pretty sure SuicideSteve isn't bragging about winning #mtgfinance, he's just a #MTGlifer.

anyway

AgentSythe posted:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

This is a better post than the context-less photos.

Also holy poo poo raven's crime is almost a dollar TCGlow

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

What cards have actually dropped in value?

All but a few playable in every set when standard rotates.

Sigma-X posted:

Agreed.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This was both beautiful and inspiring.

Edit: Any speculations on what the new Thalia is going to replace in Bant Humans. My best guess is maybe some Eldrazi displacer or Ojuta's Command.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 27, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Yep. Other cards that are close to or over $1: Street Wraith, Desperate Ritual, Pyretic Ritual, Thought Scour, Noxious Revival, Blighted Agent, Glistener Elf, Mutagenic Growth, Dakmor Salvage, Brainstorm. And I had a ton of all of them plus some random other cards that I bought for 1/4 of what they're worth now. Lilis, foil Maelstrom Pulses, etc.

tl;dr Sell/trade standard cards for non-standard cards. Modern/legacy playable cards pretty much never go down in price.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Ciprian Maricon posted:

There's going to have to be something really interesting going on for me to be interested in casting a half dozen variations on Big Furry Monster

Seems so weird and gimmicky

The real trap is if the meld cards are unplayable/bad without both halves. I can't imagine a deck that can use the mechanic consistently, but then again, Tron is a thing. Seems like it would kind of work poorly with drafting, though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Post the most creative MTGO potential rules bug with meld.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Edit: Any speculations on what the new Thalia is going to replace in Bant Humans. My best guess is maybe some Eldrazi displacer or Ojuta's Command.

Why would you take out Displacer to put in Thalia? Thalia and Eldrazi Displacer is a combo, if you blink the opponent's creatures with Displacer while you have Thalia in play, they come back into play tapped.

Chill la Chill posted:

If you have the Gisela Avatar and play Bruna, that counts for Bruna's meld ability and you can successfully meld.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

suicidesteve posted:

Yep. Other cards that are close to or over $1: Street Wraith, Desperate Ritual, Pyretic Ritual, Thought Scour, Noxious Revival, Blighted Agent, Glistener Elf, Mutagenic Growth, Dakmor Salvage, Brainstorm. And I had a ton of all of them plus some random other cards that I bought for 1/4 of what they're worth now. Lilis, foil Maelstrom Pulses, etc.

tl;dr Sell/trade standard cards for non-standard cards. Modern/legacy playable cards pretty much never go down in price.

Obligatory warning that this is true for now but magic is in a bubble and bubbles always burst

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Hellsau posted:

Why would you take out Displacer to put in Thalia? Thalia and Eldrazi Displacer is a combo, if you blink the opponent's creatures with Displacer while you have Thalia in play, they come back into play tapped.

A combo so good you only need the Displacer for that to work!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Say what you want about Commander, but I found a neat site that lets you see what other people are playing in their decks. It's called EDHREC, and it analyzes large numbers of decklists and tells you what the most commonly played cards in. I was thinking about building Gitrog Monster because it looks fun, but I was worried I'd be missing important staples and not realize it because I haven't touched the format in over a year.

Chill la Chill posted:

The Voltron-inspired animation that plays when you successfully meld two creatures together freezes the match and ends it in a draw.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 27, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

muon posted:

A combo so good you only need the Displacer for that to work!

So you agree that everything I said was 100% truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

Remember when people complained about green having no playable cards? SEems not that long agoo

• Locked thread