Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The Shame Boy posted:

Remind me what this is supposed to be a callback too again? The game made it seem like this was suppose to be a funny but i i didn't laugh because i coulden't remember :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ldTM27mlc4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhWyeSVzuv0 for the full effect.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Endorph posted:

theyve mentioned it as something theyre looking into but theyve said that about a lot of things that have never happened.
I'm excited for Blitzball!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Oh so that's where the voice line for that BeneG short came from.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Super No Vacancy posted:

im pretty sure yoshi said it was something they were vaguely thinking about for the future in like the most recent fanfest press

Yeah they've talked about possible alternative starts multiple times

Onean posted:

He's mentioned they're thinking about the problem of having such a long story, but he's always followed up by saying they expect people to enjoy the story from the beginning, so they're probably thinking about solutions that aren't just, "Start in the middle."

It's not starting in the middle, that story is over we're about the start a new one. They've been saying this is the start of a new story in a bery heavy handed manner since the lead up to 6.0 when they told us 6.x.will be a separate story and 6.0 will be the end of that plot.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 4, 2023

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Jetrauben posted:

Y'shtola's magical girl moment in Alzdaal's Legacy.

I feel like it would've been funnier if she'd just owned, 'What little girl doesn't have flights of fantasy like that?'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gearhead posted:

I feel like it would've been funnier if she'd just owned, 'What little girl doesn't have flights of fantasy like that?'

Y'shtola is a woman who refuses to acknowledge she has aged past 23.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ImpAtom posted:

Y'shtola is a woman who refuses to acknowledge she has aged past 23.

And doesn't want to admit that she was, at one point, 7, I suppose.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Y'shtola is also a woman who doesn't want to admit she was ever a kid. As far as everyone else is concerned she'd prefer Estinien's theory that she was just decanted from one of Matoya's cauldrons.

It's why she laughs at Zero's hat-tip tic, she recognizes edgelord teenager behavior when she sees it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah they've talked about possible alternative starts multiple times

It's not starting in the middle, that story is over we're about the start a new one. They've been saying this is the start of a new story in a bery heavy handed manner since the lead up to 6.0 when they told us 6.x.will be a separate story and 6.0 will be the end of that plot.

The quote I dug up was

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202307/30311422.html, translated from a Resetera post posted:

Q: Is there any way to help players who have left and returned, or are completely new to Dawntrail to enter the new area? Also how can we gain the necessary knowledge for Dawntrail without being overwhelmed by the previous lore and world setting?

A: ... we are currently working on a system whereby each character, lore, and world setting up to patch 6.0 can be viewed in-game, and we are preparing for people to skip to 6.0 and start their adventure from 6.1. However, if we were to compare it to a TV drama, we feel that it would be more natural to say "start from season 1 because it is easier to watch and catch up" rather than "start from season 6". So, we are preparing for this, but we are still not sure if we will actually implement that as a measure in 7.0

Which sounds like it's already something they're working on but might not have ready for DT. If I had to make a completely blind guess, it'd be something like the State of the Realm menu in FF16.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I mean, they've already begun it. The encyclopedia we're getting updates in only updates past 6.0, even if you start a new game. It's there already.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

MatchaZed posted:

I mean, they've already begun it. The encyclopedia we're getting updates in only updates past 6.0, even if you start a new game. It's there already.

That's...that was my original point that started this digression. They also have written the 6.X patches to slowly reintroduce every major character and concept 1-2 at a time every patch and have had moments where characters just say the entire struggle and arc they've had directly at camera. Between that and the Tataru questline that introduces a bunch of side content cast it's pretty clearly being setting up as a new onboarding point in future. Otherwise there's no reason to have the codex only update as things are introduced in 6.X

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's...that was my original point that started this digression. They also have written the 6.X patches to slowly reintroduce every major character and concept 1-2 at a time every patch and have had moments where characters just say the entire struggle and arc they've had directly at camera. Between that and the Tataru questline that introduces a bunch of side content cast it's pretty clearly being setting up as a new onboarding point in future. Otherwise there's no reason to have the codex only update as things are introduced in 6.X

Tataru's Grand Endeavor requires actually doing all the side-content though as a prerequisite, and seems more of a cap-off for all of that..

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Allarion posted:

Tataru's Grand Endeavor requires actually doing all the side-content though as a prerequisite, and seems more of a cap-off for all of that..

I mean if they're going to start you off in 6.1 I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't have at least some of the older side content counted as cleared.

And the first leg is basically a recap of the early half of EW and the characters involved with.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Super No Vacancy posted:

its pretty funny to have killed the world’s pantheon of gods as optional story content. is there data on how many people are msq current but havent done the various raid series

Achievement stats would theoretically answer this. I'm looking at XIVCollect for this, but I don't know if this is 'percent of all players' versus 'percent of people who've logged into XIVCollect'. Probably the latter, which would tilt things, but:

Completed 2.55: 97% (which is why I think we're looking at a voluntary percentage)
Completed Crystal Tower: 96%
Completed Coils: 66%

Completed 3.0: 96%
Completed 3.55: 94%
Completed Alexander: 80%
Completed Mhach raids: 78%

Completed 4.0: 93%
Completed 4.55: 92%
Completed Omega: 74%
Completed Ivalice: 83%
Completed Eureka (specifically Baldesion Arsenal): 19%

Completed 5.0: 90%
Completed 5.55: 86%
Completed Eden: 70%
Completed Nier raids: 74%
Completed Bozja (specifically Dalriada): 45%

Completed 6.0: 82%
Completed Pandaemonium: 54%

Achievements for completing the Twleve raids would NOT be reliable right now. But yeah, even among the people who are into the game enough to be tracking achievements there's a noticeable drop-off; Coils got it worst out of the raids, Ivalice somehow got it best, I suspect thanks to Bozja. (EDIT: Speaking of, good job Bozja, did not expect those numbers from you)

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 5, 2023

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

97% 2.55 completion sounds reasonable for all active accounts if it's counting things like bank alts/housing mules.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 5, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bloody Pom posted:

97% 2.55 completion sounds reasonable for all active accounts if it's counting things like bank alts/housing mules.

I'm specifically doubting it's all accounts everywhere, because a game actually having that high a percentage of 'hit the credits' is absolutely ludicrous. FFXV only has 92% of players completing the prologue on Steam; it's down near 26% for completing the game itself.

97% would account for some of these being alts, or for people who thought they were gonna get really into this and then didn't, but yeah, there's no way it's everyone.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crazy amount of 6.0 completion tbh

E: Enough that i'm not sure i can believe it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love Llymlaen's energy.

Also drat it the Twelve's farewell scene has me tearing up

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope at some point in the future we get to dunk on Gaius by telling him that The Twelve actually aren't primals. Idiot.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope at some point in the future we get to dunk on Gaius by telling him that The Twelve actually aren't primals. Idiot.

Yeah they're just constructs who's forms are shaped by the ideas of their worshipers! Wait....

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

All we need to tell him is the Twelve were otherwise engaged

With his mom

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Saw someone point this out on the wider internet the other night but:
Myths of the Realm - Paradiso
The 13th - Purgatorio
Pandaemonium - Inferno

really makes u think

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

All we need to tell him is the Twelve were otherwise engaged

With his mom

Such devastation...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fister Roboto posted:

the reaction would probably be a blank stare and then immediately leaving for a meeting with the Werlyt government or taking his daughter to McDonalds

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

KFC*

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Blockhouse posted:

the reaction would probably be a blank stare and then immediately leaving for a meeting with the Werlyt government or taking his daughter to McDonalds

Gaius absolutely cringes at his whole Praetorium speech, but he's not someone who cringes in public, he does it behind closed doors.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

With regards to the ending of the Twelve: I’m wondering, are they expending their aether to “merely” start fixing the damage to Eorzea from ARR, or could it be that they’re giving mankind a boost to their power? Say, by empowering a new generation of adventurers?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
no

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wasn't expecting to tear up at Myths of the Realm, God(s)

What a fun little raid series

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

With regards to the ending of the Twelve: I’m wondering, are they expending their aether to “merely” start fixing the damage to Eorzea from ARR, or could it be that they’re giving mankind a boost to their power? Say, by empowering a new generation of adventurers?

I think they were saying "After having completed all of their goals in the first term of 12 millennia, they see no need for a second term."

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I like the bit just before the Seventh Heaven where they leave you on the stairs for a bit, particularly that the trash mobs spawn all over it so that there's good reason to wander about instead of just racing upstairs immediately

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, finally finished MSQ, Raid and also Custom Deliveries, which no one seems to have mentioned yet.

MSQ: Yeah turns out Zero was the Cecil all along. Pity for my Ceodore theory. Honestly Golbez's redemption felt actually sensible, from the start dude actually had a noble goal but basically absolutely lost his way, and the original Golbez also repented. I do feel irked by leaving Gaia out of all the MSQ bar the end, like drat input from the Oracle of Darkness would have been nice to have. Zero not dying but staying in the 13th gives feelings we'll see her again at some future expansion/content but not in Dawntrail, sorry edgy girl fans. Also interesting that the letter to Galuf from the Tural chief is actually very old. And that the new NPC seems to be going to choose the WoL specifically as her candidate for the gold city hunt, are we actually going to go only with Erenville and her on our team and every other scion in others? (G'raha and Krille would be one since they're both Students of Baldesion, and we know from Dawntrail trailer that Urianger and Thancred are on their honeymoon working together.

Raid: I feel the whole death wish from the Twelve should have been the big revelation at the second tier, would have given them a bit more weight to their talks and given the second tier a bit more plot to chew on. Derryk's eulogy I loved it, specially all the juicy lore we get (Hydaleyn's faction had lots of big players involved like Thaliak (headmaster of Academia Anyder), Bryegot (Hythlo's second in command), Halone (actual candidate to the Convocation); the fact Ancients had trade (Nald'thal was a merchant) and warriors (Halone and Llymlaen); and the hilarious discovery the Azem/Azeyma relation was "she was a big fangirl". Also correct me if I'm wrong, but Elpis had an NPC or mentions of a botanist who worked directly with flora right? That would be Nophica then.

Custom delivery: Man when Margrat opened her mouth to complain about her job accommodations hit hard for me and made me like her a lot out of a sudden.

:science: : This is an outrage! We deserve better working conditions, proper equipment and not impossible timetables.

:hai: : Hey, have you ever heard about "unions"?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Just mentally replace Margrat's job title of "starship propulsion engineer" with "game developer"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/fittingxivsongs/status/1709563323975417948

:negative:

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Can't read the replies to figure out what the hell that tweet is supposed to be about.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Duodecimal posted:

Can't read the replies to figure out what the hell that tweet is supposed to be about.

The black hole mechanic in Zeromus's fight

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Raid: Also correct me if I'm wrong, but Elpis had an NPC or mentions of a botanist who worked directly with flora right? That would be Nophica then.

There is such an NPC, but I'm not sure it's intended to be the same person as the NPC in question is a man and kind of an rear end in a top hat, and the fruit he makes is largely inedible. Plausibly it's just an obvious-ish writing beat (Ancient who grows fruit by hand rather than using creation magic!) that got used two ways, possibly by different writers. Interesting contrast to the other ways in which the writing is clearly keenly aware of the Elpis sidequests.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Electric Phantasm posted:

The black hole mechanic in Zeromus's fight

Yes, I recognized the music but not the guy in the image or the text/font. Thought it was supposed to be a reference to some dumb meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Duodecimal posted:

Yes, I recognized the music but not the guy in the image or the text/font. Thought it was supposed to be a reference to some dumb meme.

Oh sorry lol

The image itself is a reference to Super Mario Galaxy where instead of death chasms you have black holes. I'm assuming the picture itself comes from The Nostalgia Critic's review of the game.

Definitely got caught by that mechanic after I thought I was safe from the death laser.