Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Had my first off today, low speed lowside and the only damage is a sprained thumb and slightly damaged glove thankfully. I was slowing down to take a left on a rather sketchy road at a T intersection, and when I started steering to go round the corner the front wheel washed out. Stood up and lifted the bike without too much drama then nearly slipped over when walking the bike to the side of the road due to the smooth surface. The bike still has knobbie tires that I really should've replaced and I should've slowed down more given I knew how dodgy the road surface was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I work at a rock climbing gym, and part of my duties involves putting up/replacing the routes and maintaining the walls. My manager has said she's going to punch me in the head the next time she sees me.

Be one of those bad asses who does a V7 with only his hands, you know you want to.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

whoops.

I was turning right onto Broad from Cox. Traffic stopped, I applied brakes and downshifted into first.
As I'm leaned into the corner, the bike starts to lose power, so I let off the brakes a bit.
The bike bucks as if it's stalling, this causes the front tire to wash out in the gravel, and both the bike and I go sliding up a hill into the back of a BMW.

There are several factors that contributed to this wreck.
Sleep. I was at the tail end of day 3 of not sleeping, and finally headed home from work.
Proper body position. I was leaned over committed to the turn when I should have been upright and prepared to stop.
Lane position. Avoid being close to the gutter/outside of the lane. There is a lot of gravel/sand/etc that collects there. This is the main reason I lost control of the bike.
Fuel. The CBR was running on fumes and I was pushing my luck.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
That really sucks; but this picture is awesome.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Be one of those bad asses who does a V7 with only his hands, you know you want to.

I have been pogoing and backflagging the gently caress out of boulder problems. I can do v5 with one foot...in sneakers haha. Gotta go to the ortho doctor thought, I think the foot is actually broken.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Sorry to hear that you crashed, but did you get that license plate in the background on purpose? That's awesome.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Day Man posted:

Sorry to hear that you crashed, but did you get that license plate in the background on purpose? That's awesome.

Finding that plate was purely kizmit.
I had to push my bike up and over a curb and grassy hill to get there but I did purposefully park her in front of the Jeep.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I'm glad you're okay, man.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Glad you're alright. You're pretty crazy for riding in the agonizingly stupid mess that is Glen Allen traffic.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
I had an accident a couple of days ago when a woman ran a red light. Conveniently enough google maps has a car in the correct lane in their picture:

Blue line is where I was going, Red is the woman running the red light and where she ended up, purple is me going "oh poo poo" and breaking and trying to swerve and ending up on my rear end. The light had been green for at least 15 seconds while I came down the road so I wasn't starting from a stop and as soon as I started tipping in to the left I realized this SUV wasn't stopping next to the cars in the other lane and I was going to T-Bone it right around the front of the passenger door. I stood on the brakes and ended up passing really close behind it (it felt like within a foot but I know the mind exaggerates these things), but I locked the front and lowsided on the left right as I passed the rear bumper.

My poor sprint managed to crack most of the plastics and shear off the left peg and gear shift lever. The woman driving the SUV stopped and was distraught over what she did which was good since so many people just keep driving in those situations. I know I should have been able to stay upright and miss her since I was able to miss her while falling down, but man it is hard to not just keep squeezing the lever as you watch a big truck flash across your bow. And please keep putting roundabouts everywhere Wisconsin, things go wrong really quickly when people run red lights full bore.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It sucks that you fell but you did manage to swerve/brake around a huge SUV rather than T boning it and, you know, dying. You came out well ahead in my opinion! Is the lady taking any responsibility for the damage to your bike?

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Even in the face of an admission of fault by the driver, her insurance company may deny all liability and tell you to gently caress yourself because you didn't hit her, therefore it was a single vehicle accident, therefore it was caused by your poor vehicle control. Been there, done that, got paid by State Farm who are loving awesome and just called yesterday to say they were victorious in the subrogation hearing and are mailing me back a check for my deductible.

Hopefully you got a witness to her running the red light, or hopefully she gives a statement to your insurance in which she accepts fault.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
She straight up told the cop she ran the red light and got a citation for it and a couple people volunteered their number to me, I was actually kind of surprised by how many people stopped. Allstate thinks it's a pretty open and shut case as far as liability goes so here's hoping they're right.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Glad you're alright. You're pretty crazy for riding in the agonizingly stupid mess that is Glen Allen traffic.

Yeah, I had a couple people try to run me over actually :-/

I don't mean like "I'm just trying to get where I'm going." But literally, "I'm going to crush this asshat for laying his bike down."

...that or maybe they just wanted to help push my bike off to the shoulder.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
High-sided the DRZ pretty slowly on dirt/grass on my friend's property after riding all day. Took a "shortcut" through some grass on the way home and panic-braked locking up the rear wheel because of something stupid which caused a lowside. I am dumb and axle sliders are smart. I'm not hurt at all, but I'm going to sit in the shower with a beer and lick my mental wounds.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Went down today, I was watching to see if the car on the left side road was turning and didn't see that the big white SUV in front of me was turning onto the side road until I was waaay too close. I pointed the bike to the right side of the road, braked hard and locked up the rear then when the front hit the gravel on the side that one locked up too and we lowsided.
The bike missed the SUV and made pretty sparks before it stopped.:downsbravo:
The right fairing plastic on the KLR's broken, the fairing frame needs bent, the right handguard is chewed down to the metal, the bars need loosened and moved back and I think I may need to bend the brake pedal.
I declined a ride in the happy fun lights and sounds van to the hospital and rode the bike home.
My ankle's swollen and pretty sore, I'm icing it down and can't put much if any weight on it. If it's like this tomorrow, I'm going to the Dr.

First mistake- too loving close in traffic.
Second- not making the SUV in front of me first priority for my attention.
Third- using the rear brake in a panic stop while not in a straight line.

Edit
Looks like riding season's over, a broken fibula and separated ankle.

edit x2

Retarted Pimple fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 2, 2013

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
That is rear end.

It amazes me when people break bones then just go home and walk around for a while to see if it gets better. I have never broken a bone but I gotta imagine I would need morphine to not be a total rear end in a top hat about the pain.

I forget where I heard this but on a bike you should ALWAYS be concerned about what's in front of you and not what's behind you (unless you are at a stoplight). I have almost rear ended more people on my bike than been near to being rear ended.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Stugazi posted:

That is rear end.

It amazes me when people break bones then just go home and walk around for a while to see if it gets better. I have never broken a bone but I gotta imagine I would need morphine to not be a total rear end in a top hat about the pain.

I forget where I heard this but on a bike you should ALWAYS be concerned about what's in front of you and not what's behind you (unless you are at a stoplight). I have almost rear ended more people on my bike than been near to being rear ended.

I crashed my bike, got up quick as I could, got the bike up, and rode home. After I got back I fell down again. Turns out my foot is fractured. It hurt, but not too bad honestly. The whole not being able to walk thing was a problem though...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Stugazi posted:

Adrenaline is one hell of a drug. I've broken a few bones and they hurt but not much until a while ago, then the pain catches up to you.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Stugazi posted:

I'm pretty sure I fractured my elbow a couple weeks ago, but it just vaguely aches like the bruise I thought it was. Until I try to pull with that arm, then the light of ancient suns screams forth from the area. v:shobon:v

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

It didn't hurt unless I put weight on it, so I figured it was sprained. The ride home was easy . Getting the kickstand up & down was a new experience in pain each time, though, as I had to weight the bad ankle to do it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Stugazi posted:

I've had a couple of broken ankles, and neither one hurt until hours later. One of them was a traumatic tib-fib-talus fracture and accompanied by tibia sliding across pavement with blood loss and soft tissue damage, and that one just felt cold. It didn't even hurt until after the first surgery, just like ice being all over my lower leg.

The other one was a fibula and separated ankle just like Retarded Pimp, and I was convinced it was a sprain, walked on it for several hours after breaking it, and then gave up and went in to an urgent care about 24 hours later because putting weight on it hurt so much expecting to get crutches temporarily for a sprain. Turns out that it was broken, and I did damage to it the evening I broke it by obstinately walking around on it. Basically, when you've done serious damage to your body it kicks in some serious fight or flight hormones and you feel a LOT less pain than when you stub your toe or something.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

My experience with bone breaks have included only mild to moderate pain, mostly during the fall that caused it.

Broke my arm when I was a teenager, falling off a chair. Pain was no different than "ouch, drat I fell." When I looked at my arm, however, it was zig-zagged (no puncture). It swelled up badly en route to hospital, but didn't cause any searing pain. The deep needle required for the local anesthetic to straighten and set that bone OTOH :negative:

Years later I broke my wrist in a bicycle fall. Didn't even notice it was injured until it swelled later that morning, and the swelling wouldn't go down. That was a really slight fracture deep in the wrist, so it didn't require a setting. All tolled, that break was never terribly painful. Swollen and uncomfortable, but not OH GOD OH GOD pain.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Stugazi posted:

That is rear end.

I've only broken one, a toe bone, and I went to the doctor and they basically said walk around for a while and see if it gets better. So I walked on my heel for a while and eventually it felt better. It was a really lucky break, apparently.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I broke my hand when I was a kid and knew instantly something was wrong because my pinky finger was stuck out to the side like a mirror image of my thumb. Turns out the finger bone had been snapped off basically where it joined the metacarpal, which had been twisted by the impact. Years after healing, I was saddened to find I was unable to perform the shocker when that became a thing.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Stugazi posted:

I got an X-ray after hyperextending my fingers, the doctor looked at it, and asked me when I broke my Scaphoid. That was news to me.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I broke my Scaphoid and didn't notice until six months later when I wrecked with my bike and used crutches for a while. By then it had developed Pseudarthrosis so I had to have a bone graft and a Herbert screw put in.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, I broke my Scaphoid and didn't notice until six months later when I wrecked with my bike and used crutches for a while. By then it had developed Pseudarthrosis so I had to have a bone graft and a Herbert screw put in.

Another satisfied customer ;) My father is an orthopaedic hand surgeon and worked with Timothy James Herbert on that screw. One of my projects as a mechanical engineer student (25 years ago) was to improve the device used to clamp the os scaphoideum for inserting the screw. An os scaphoideum fracture is a nasty thing, and probably one of the most difficult bones in your body to repair. Fun fact is that about 70% of all os scaphoideum fractures are motorcycle-related.

I hope you're satisfied with yours, mine only hurts a bit in really cold weather ;)

Os scaphoideum titanium high-five *clank*

LarryCsonka
Nov 7, 2006
Oooh, I don't go map-finding-behinding

Sir Cornelius posted:

Another satisfied customer ;) My father is an orthopaedic hand surgeon and worked with Timothy James Herbert on that screw. One of my projects as a mechanical engineer student (25 years ago) was to improve the device used to clamp the os scaphoideum for inserting the screw. An os scaphoideum fracture is a nasty thing, and probably one of the most difficult bones in your body to repair. Fun fact is that about 70% of all os scaphoideum fractures are motorcycle-related.

I hope you're satisfied with yours, mine only hurts a bit in really cold weather ;)

Os scaphoideum titanium high-five *clank*

Add me to the titanium scaphoid club. Mine was from mountain biking. Didn't realize it might be broken until I tried to sleep and every slight movement was extremely painful. Wrist never swelled in the slightest.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The top of my hand was about 1 cm thicker than normal and completely blue/black the day after, maybe I should've got it checked out. :downs:

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
I'm about to get my Ninja 300 back from the bump shop after crashing with no more than six weeks of ownership under my belt. It wasn't a bad crash, it wasn't a crash borne of anybody stupidity so much as a testament to the value of advanced rider training.

Basically, I ran up the rear end of a taxi on an inner-city freeway at rush hour. I wasn't following very closely, and I wasn't speeding: I just shoulder-checked at the wrong time as the cab slammed on his brakes. All of a sudden I'm on him and I can't stop in time. I mean, it was almost certainly possible to stop in time, but I didn't have the braking technique to do it without going over the handlebars, and I knew that as it was happening. It was a pathetic display of braking. I slowed down as much as I could, from about 55 to probably no more than 20 km/hr, and braced as best I could to hit the cab. I went over the handlebars anyway, but simultaneously bounced back off the cab's bumper and landed on the road behind it.

I knew I was fine immediately, but I lay on the ground for a few seconds feeling like an absolute loving imbecile before I figured that people would start getting out of their cars to see if I was alive if I didn't get up.

Bent forks, some sore nuts, $1300 in insurance excess, and probably the best learning experience I could possibly have on a bike.

Hone the basics, people. Know how to stop your bike as efficiently as possible.

Smudgie Buggler fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 13, 2013

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Wrong lesson.

Learn what part of the lane you should be in, and learn how to swerve into your escape route when that happens.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Basically, I ran up the rear end of a taxi on an inner-city freeway at rush hour. I wasn't following very closely, and I wasn't speeding: I just shoulder-checked at the wrong time as the cab slammed on his brakes. All of a sudden I'm on him and I can't stop in time.

Why were you shoulder-checking, as it seems you were continuing in your lane on a straight road?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

One thing that has to be relearned when you start riding bikes is that if you end up in a poo poo situation where you didn't leave enough of a stopping distance for whatever reason you can go between cars instead of running into the back of them. Sounds like in your case you probably would have stopped somewhere near the back door of the cab you hit if you had swerved around.

As you ride longer this type of thing shouldn't happen as much since you'll learn to keep a good margin of space around you as well as ways to escape the idiots who flock around you, but everyone has a lapse occasionally or someone will fly in front of you and jam on the brakes or whatever. It's good to remember all of your options.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Accidents like that are another reason it makes me really unhappy lane splitting isn't legal in most of the US. When you don't do it all the time, you don't naturally see that particular out and it's definitely saved me a few times when I had a lapse in attention.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
True. Yeah, I could have swerved in between lanes. Again, not experienced enough to have seen that escape. Also, I was shoulder-checking because I needed to change lanes, but there was a car next to me when I checked. There were probably multiple ways to avoid that accident, and I just wasn't skilled or savvy enough to take any of the outs available to me.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Always assume taxis in the city are going to do the dumbest concievable thing at the worst possible time, up to and including plowing into the crowds on the sidewalk or bursting into flame. Depending on the city, this also goes for unmarked town cars, vans without windows, etc.

If you do primarily tight city driving you can angle your left mirror out a bit to cut down your blind spot. Or suck up the dorky look and get a bar-end mirror you can angle independently from your stalk one.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Z3n posted:

Accidents like that are another reason it makes me really unhappy lane splitting isn't legal in most of the US. When you don't do it all the time, you don't naturally see that particular out and it's definitely saved me a few times when I had a lapse in attention.

This x 1000. Last second splits have saved me before - despite it being illegal everywhere else don't rule it out. No one is going to ticket you for avoiding an accident, and even if they do it's going to be a lot cheaper and less painful.

I ride like a dong a significant portion of the time, so I often find myself under urgent braking situations - sliding over towards the shoulder/sidewalk/lanesplit/handicap access ramp has unconsciously become part of my emergency braking procedure. This may well be a side effect of supermotos, but the point stands - avoid collision with another vehicle by any means.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Yup. Several times I've had a sudden stationary queue appear in front of me on the highway, only to have the guy in front pretend he's schumaher and swerve violently instead of braking, leaving me travelling at 100km/h staring at the back a stationary car. Lots of brakes+aiming to the side of the car saves the day every time. I've never even been close to rear-ending a car on a bike despite riding like a dong.

Splitting is legal in my country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

This x 1000. Last second splits have saved me before - despite it being illegal everywhere else don't rule it out. No one is going to ticket you for avoiding an accident, and even if they do it's going to be a lot cheaper and less painful.

I ride like a dong a significant portion of the time, so I often find myself under urgent braking situations - sliding over towards the shoulder/sidewalk/lanesplit/handicap access ramp has unconsciously become part of my emergency braking procedure. This may well be a side effect of supermotos, but the point stands - avoid collision with another vehicle by any means.

Yeah, riding with a friend who spent a couple of years in London has got me following him down the holes in traffic, despite it being illegal. I've decided I will eat the ticket if need be, I would rather be splitting. I don't filter at lights though, apart from lining up to do it in case someone doesn't stop. I find that doing it at lights invites a world of crazy road rage.

• Locked thread