Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Shnooks posted:

I just don't understand why people think they can still get poo poo like sewing thread for 5 cents or yarn for $1. It's never been that way as long as I've been alive - it probably hasn't been that way as long as my mother has been alive.

They stocked up when the last war was ramping up. They're just starting to run out now.

Today at the comic/MTG shop I got a call from the resident mentally disabled person. His name is Andre and he calls all the comic book stores looking to talk. Today I answered the phone, and he went on for a solid minute and a half about some transformers movie. I eventually cut him off and mentioned that I had no idea what he was talking about (never liked transformers.) Thankfully he understood and thanked me for my time.

Usually he'll invite me over to play xbox or watch movies on his giant TV or go swimming. If he's excited you literally have to hangup as he won't take the hint. Once I put the phone down and just listened before. He can go 10++ minutes without any feed back. If he asks a comic book related question, I usually refer him to the other store down the street :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Shnooks posted:

"You dumbshits, we're in a loving war. Everything is loving expensive. Have you not left your house in 40 years or something?"

What the hell does being at war have to do with the cost of buttons?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Halisnacks posted:

Historically being in a state of war has a variety of effects on costs for all sorts of consumer goods, including food, because of the amount of raw materials that the industrial side of a war effort consumes.

However, that's not really the case with the limited conflicts we're engaged in today. There have been effects on the financial sector and some price rises due to a couple of factors, but it's not actually the wars we're in which are responsible for the recent hikes in the cost of basically everything.

Well, not as much as other factors (artificially-or-otherwise inflated cost of oil is most of it).

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Halisnacks posted:

Plastic buttons, but we also sell yarn and sewing notions such as thread, ribbon, etc. The price of cotton and wool has increased, and cotton is just outrageous right now. I guess nobody really thinks about it, but my field of study is textiles and having cotton go up another $1 or wool going up another $2 is painful.

We also have metal buttons, wood, horn and shell which are on average $2+ per button the size of a quarter, and that's on the low end. I have absolutely no say in how the prices should be dictated - yes, I price many of the buttons, but I have a guideline I have to go through to dictate the price of them.

The yarn and sewing stuff isn't my "department" (talk about a wasted degree), but for the most part we sell it at the recommended retail price - when it goes up, we change it accordingly.

Buttons are serious loving business.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Tomorrow is the 4th of July :911:. While the rest of the country is outside blowing poo poo up, cooking at dusk, and generally enjoying summer, guess where I will be?

Making motherfucking lattes for entitled Amuricunts for the liberity wage of jack loving poo poo an hour. Being forced to listen to complete idiots play the role of Captain rear end in a top hat, who, by partially divine and partially deserved right gets to order his enlisted peons to do their duty and take their breaks on time.

Almost forgot. The state decided to spike college tuition by another 20% this year. Hooray poverty!

America! The place where we openly shun upward mobility by publically tearing your rear end in a top hat in half with a statue of liberty shaped dildo.

:suicide:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Avalanche posted:

Tomorrow is the 4th of July :911:. While the rest of the country is outside blowing poo poo up, cooking at dusk, and generally enjoying summer, guess where I will be?

Making motherfucking lattes for entitled Amuricunts for the liberity wage of jack loving poo poo an hour. Being forced to listen to complete idiots play the role of Captain rear end in a top hat, who, by partially divine and partially deserved right gets to order his enlisted peons to do their duty and take their breaks on time.

Almost forgot. The state decided to spike college tuition by another 20% this year. Hooray poverty!

America! The place where we openly shun upward mobility by publically tearing your rear end in a top hat in half with a statue of liberty shaped dildo.

I was wondering about the people who have to work - do you get time and a half at least? I'd feel horrible coming in if you guys didn't even get extra cash or something to be there :(

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Avalanche posted:

"Why would I go to college when I can get a job at the Citco and fill up my truck for free?"

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Shnooks posted:

I was wondering about the people who have to work - do you get time and a half at least? I'd feel horrible coming in if you guys didn't even get extra cash or something to be there :(

At AMC, I remember they gave us some little thing for working on that night, as well as a raffle that allowed you to pick your schedule next week or something. Studio Movie Grill didn't do anything because they didn't offer extra pay for working holidays, for whatever reason.

I got off on Monday for my current job, no surprise, and I used the long-weekend to visit my family about four hours away. Yesterday my sister and I went to the AMC I used to work at to see a movie, and I couldn't help but feel bad for the people having to work such an awful weekend with such stupid people crowding up the whole mall it was anchored to.

What was even more concerning was that not only was there a guy who was still working at Game Stop (he'd been there since before I started working at that theater, which was four years ago!) after all this time, but there was also a guy I worked with still at the AMC doing the same menial labor. I know times are tough, but I couldn't even imagine sticking around for the same bullshit job for so long, especially in a town like that that's full of other options.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Shnooks posted:

I know I'm weird, but I like working most holidays because we get paid an extra eight hours that day, plus it's usually not busy and most customers are in a decent mood. I used to have to work every holiday when I worked at a nursing facility and that was damned depressing. My first Thanksgiving without my family was spent cooking dinner for other people and we weren't even allowed to have a plate ourselves.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
My store is closed on major holidays like Easter and Christmas. Tomorrow we're open until 6pm, a whole three hours earlier than usual. We don't get overtime or bonuses for anything except working on Thanksgiving night. Even full time employees aren't allowed to go over 40 hours a week or they get written up because the store legally has to pay them overtime.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Shnooks posted:

P used to do this but stopped a month before I was hired. :downs:

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Feeling the pain with all you workin today. It's my anniversary and hey guess what instead of giving me the night off they give one of the only people who could have covered me the day off instead. loving awesome. Aaaannd it's the auto company's change over shut down time, which basically means for the next two weeks dead is not even the word for what we'll be. And of course I have to be busy and it's all our fault buisness is down. Seriously, if I wasn't paid so well and didn't genuinely enjoy my job..ahh gently caress i'd still be there because it's Michigan and the job market is poo poo.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Welp, I was cut for today. Now I'll have about 10 hours for this whole week. :gbsmith:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Had some lady today DELIBERATELY go around my drat hand to set the money as far away from me as possible. I even kept moving my hand under where she was about to set the money and she kept going around it. What the loving hell? So I just threw her goddamned penny and her reciept at her. Literally, I threw it down the register.
It's the little things that take years off my life.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What was her reaction?

Can you get away with that?

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

spankmeister posted:

What was her reaction?

Can you get away with that?

Disgust. She scoffed and rolled her eyes and I just smiled sweetly and told her to have a fabulous day.
So far I've been getting away with it. If they want to complain to the manager they can, and I guess I'll just tell them it was an accident and the customer was exaggerating. Because that does happen, customers blowing things out of proportion, and managment is used to it and deals with it accordingly.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

We're only closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day -- the rest of the year, we're open and nobody gets paid extra, regardless of holidays or crazy late opening times during Christmas. I've worked Christmas Eve a few times before and got paid my usual wage, but my boss opened a few bottles of Cava in the afternoon so it was worth it.

Just after we opened today some guy came into the shop while I was crouching behind the counter doing some restocking. I stood up immediately, said hello and asked if I could help, but for some reason he assumed I'd been sitting on the floor doing nothing and spent two minutes making grumpy comments about how lazy I was. "No, I don't want to interrupt you! Sit back down, you're obviously tired." "Okay, I'm going, you can sit back down on the floor again now!" Why the gently caress would I just be sitting on the floor? Which is more likely: that I'm doing some sort of non-customer-service-related menial task that requires me to look under the counter, or that I'm taking a loving nap on the linoleum?

I do not understand people :psyduck:

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Halisnacks posted:

I'm a North American living in Europe, and the differences in retail culture have really shocked me. I hate to say that they seem to be on opposite extreme ends of the spectrum, but that both extremes are pretty lovely.

In North America it seems the customers have complete control and you're expected to lap at their dicks the entire time they are on the premises. "The customer is always right" is taken far too seriously. It seems to have been institutionalised that treating another human like an actual piece of poo poo is acceptable so long as that person is in retail and the dick might purchase something.

In Europe retail workers are not treated as shittily at all, but customers do have to put up with a lot more poo poo, particularly waiting. In restaurants and cafés the waits can be downright obscene, and that goes for every part of the experience (being approached the first time, getting your food, getting your bill). At shops and such it's not uncommon at all for workers on the floor to take their time finishing conversations with co-workers before letting you buy something.

Is there any place where good service standards have been achieved without getting there by making retail/service personnel second-class citizens?

The reason why in Europe customers are treated like second-class citzens is that You are here to buy stuff. That's it. Nearly all the stuff that your customers pull in the United States is the best way to get banned. In other words, companys view you as a ATM over here, but they know that customers are going to stop coming if they treat them too rough.

It's also depending on where you are as well. Britian is famous for their Queues for a reason. Waiting for 30 mins at a busy supermarket or Bank? Normal. At a Petrol station and there isn't any pumps free? Wait for one. Someone hosed up your order? Ask the waiter. Have an tray full of Cola spilled on your head? :dealwithit:

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Has anyone with a job who takes peoples orders had someone shove a cell phone at them to talk to whomever is on the other end? I had someone do this to me last night and pretty much refused to comply, I just kinda was thrown by it. I think the guy was pretty pissed about it but it caught me completely off guard.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Has anyone with a job who takes peoples orders had someone shove a cell phone at them to talk to whomever is on the other end? I had someone do this to me last night and pretty much refused to comply, I just kinda was thrown by it. I think the guy was pretty pissed about it but it caught me completely off guard.

You should have taken the phone, hung up on whoever it was, put it in your pocket and said thanks for the free phone.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

No, just the usual "Hang on, I'm gonna call my friend and see if he wants anything and hold up the queue by reciting a list of every product in the shop" and the "I'm too busy chatting with my friend about some inconsequential poo poo to talk to the people I'm buying things from, so I'm just gonna halfassedly point at stuff in the display and hope you can work out what the gently caress I want!"

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Yeah, there were two Asian women who spoke not a word of English(but understood what I was saying) and they handed me a cell phone with a guy who spoke heavily accented English to give me their order.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Supeerme posted:

Have an tray full of Cola spilled on your head? :dealwithit:

I can understand the other things, but I'm pretty sure you'd have every right to raise a stink about getting poo poo spilled all over you, no matter what country you're in. I don't mean to sound like a typical grumpy customer, but if that happened, and they just told me to "deal with it", I don't think I'd ever come back to that restaurant again.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Volcano posted:

and the "I'm too busy chatting with my friend about some inconsequential poo poo to talk to the people I'm buying things from, so I'm just gonna halfassedly point at stuff in the display and hope you can work out what the gently caress I want!"

Oh I would just ignore those people and help someone else, or would pretend to not understand them at all.

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Back when I worked at Blimpie's Subs, this Indian guy waved his phone in my face so I could talk to his friend on the other end. It wasn't a language barrier thing, he just didn't want to have to actually repeat the order. I refused, because I was at the slicing station and had meat shavings all over my gloves. Also, if you work that station, you don't put the veggies and poo poo on, just the meat, so if we'd done as he asked, we'd have to pass his phone down the line.

Just loving tell me what you want, rear end in a top hat. Or bring your friend with you next time! Have him write it down! Clearly the friend knew what he wanted beforehand, since you didn't read the menu to him. Why are you making things more difficult for yourself?

He got all kinds of pissed and ranted and raged his way out the store. Luckily, I was working with the cool manager, who backed me up. Usually when a customer got stupid with me, I was working with the manager with the stick up her rear end, but this time I got lucky.

I got the wait-a-minute finger all the time. When people came up to me with a phone, I'd walk away and do something else, and keep an eye on them til they hung up, then service with a smile. If they complained, I'd say I didn't want to interrupt their conversation, that'd be rude! I never had a customer who had anything to say after that.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
We can't lose weight with you if you don't update your log!
   /
:backtowork:

foobyfooby posted:

I got the wait-a-minute finger all the time. When people came up to me with a phone, I'd walk away and do something else, and keep an eye on them til they hung up, then service with a smile. If they complained, I'd say I didn't want to interrupt their conversation, that'd be rude! I never had a customer who had anything to say after that.
I also work returns at Target, and I absolutely LOVE it when they bring in their bag of loving clothes that they didn't try on, talk on their phone throughout the entire transaction, and apologize to the person on the phone with "Oh I'm doing a return". Get off your god drat phone you loving vapid oval office.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
"Hi sir, how are you today? Did you find everything ok?"
"Good and yes but let me tell you something that ticks me off."
"Uhmm ok."
"I searched all over for plain, reglar Ritz crackers and I couldn't find them anywhere! All you have is the damned 'advanced' and 'modified' Ritz crackers and I don't want those! I want the regular Ritz crackers!"
"Sir we do have regular Ritz crackers, I just looked an hour ago, I'm sure we can't be all out by now. Would you like me to show you where they are?"
"No because I couldn't find them! I wanted regular Ritz crackers! I was forced to buy the P brand! I wanted regular Ritz crackers!"
"Would you like me to go see if I can find them?"
"No! I just want regular Ritz crackers!"
"...do you want me to ask someone else to see if they can find them?"
"NO! JUST WANT REGULAR RITZ CRACKERS! I HAD TO BUY P BRAND!"
"... ok here's your receipt hope you have a nice day."

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

Volcano posted:

No, just the usual "Hang on, I'm gonna call my friend and see if he wants anything and hold up the queue by reciting a list of every product in the shop" and the "I'm too busy chatting with my friend about some inconsequential poo poo to talk to the people I'm buying things from, so I'm just gonna halfassedly point at stuff in the display and hope you can work out what the gently caress I want!"

There is a restaurant in Chicago (Perry's Deli) that has a no cell phone policy. It's been around a long time and I think stemmed when cell phones were exclusively used by (arrogant) businessmen. There is always a long line at the lunch hour and inevitably someone in the line is on their phone. If the woman behind the counter notices them she presses a button that blares a massively loud siren. For those who aren't expecting the noise it comes as a real shock. Of course, the person on their phone always tried to cover their ear and talk louder but with how loud the siren is, it is futile. Regulars usually start yelling at the person to get off the phone and eventually they figure it out, hang up, and then look around sheepishly as everyone looks at them. It might be really cathartic to anyone in retail in Chicago.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

alreadybeen posted:

There is a restaurant in Chicago (Perry's Deli) that has a no cell phone policy. It's been around a long time and I think stemmed when cell phones were exclusively used by (arrogant) businessmen. There is always a long line at the lunch hour and inevitably someone in the line is on their phone. If the woman behind the counter notices them she presses a button that blares a massively loud siren. For those who aren't expecting the noise it comes as a real shock. Of course, the person on their phone always tried to cover their ear and talk louder but with how loud the siren is, it is futile. Regulars usually start yelling at the person to get off the phone and eventually they figure it out, hang up, and then look around sheepishly as everyone looks at them. It might be really cathartic to anyone in retail in Chicago.
Are they hiring, and also is Chicago a nice place to live? God drat I love little places with poo poo like that.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Chicago is a really nice place to live, and as someone who grew up in San Diego, I find it really friendly and hospitable.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember working the shipping counter in my old store. Now there are two ways to ship: Ground, which is 4-5 business days, or Overnight/2Day, which is what is sounds like. People would come in with their box, no airbill form filled out, and want the prices for every service. Not too bad, but after they decided, they still had to fill out the paperwork.

Standard procedure indicated you give them the airbill, they step off to the side, and you help the next customer.

Standard procedure failed at the holiday rush, or when more than one person 'just wanted the rates' and had multiple boxes that you had to check individually, OR when you had a line of people 'just wanting the rates' and a lack of counter space. So a new system came into place: you want the rates, fine. Pick your price, then get OUT of line to fill out the paperwork, and have your turn again. Especially if you picked the wrong paperwork, because yes, we use each one differently.

People would get so pissed that they had to wait in line again. Unfortunately, yes, if you have six boxes that are going to six different addresses, you need an airbill for each. No, you can't write the address on the box and that be enough. We need an airbill per address, and if you have six boxes going to the same address, we can make paper copies. If we had three or four people all filling out paperwork and the line of people with filled-out airbills kept coming, the real issue was finding who was where in line, especially with the pickup time cut-off present.

I can totally understand just wanting to know the prices before you make a decision, but at the same time, gasp, that is why we have a rate calculator online and also a 1-800 number for rates. Of course people underestimate weights and box sizes all the time too.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

alreadybeen posted:

That is loving fantastic. :golfclap: I have got to go there sometime.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Weatherman posted:

That is loving fantastic. :golfclap: I have got to go there sometime.

I would go the other route and turn on a cell jammer just long enough to drop the call. Rinse and repeat until they get the hint.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?
I work at a well-known copy/print and ship center. I'm not allowed to say the name of it because they also have a "social media" policy, and I would be fired if anyone from there had any clue I was "talking about them" online, regardless of context or content. I know Cowslips Warren at least used to work there, and from her posts in this thread, I can't figure out if she still works there or not, but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, I've got tons and tons of stories, so many I can't even think of most of them off the top of my head, so I'll be updating the thread as I remember them. Anyway, for reference, I work at a location that's physically small, but we do the most production of any store in the state, save one. We're also located downtown in a mid-size city, so we're typically extremely busy and we also get all kinds of characters in there.

One of my personal favorite stories happened several months ago. I was working with one other person on Saturday, but I was the only one there at the time because the other person on shift with me had gone to the bank to drop of the daily deposit. So this little old lady comes up to me and wants to make some enlargements. No problem, we do that all the time. So she shows me what she wants to copy, and it's the cover of several A&E movies she's obviously rented from the library, that she wants to blow up to 11x17. I tell her that I'm very sorry, but we can't make copies of them, since they are copywritten images, at least without the permission of the copyright holder. We go back and forth for a little while, but she eventually seems like she understands and is cool with it. So then, she asks me if I can get her set up on a self-serve copier. Now, I knew what she wanted to do, but I knew she would have no loving clue how to do it on her own, so I was like whatever, and took her down and got her set up on the machine. The following conversation ensues:

:witch: Ok, so how do I enlarge something on here?
:butt: Well, [pointing] here are the buttons for enlargements/reductions right here.
[Note: the controls are extremely intuitive]
:witch: Ok, well how do I use them?
:butt: Ma'am, I've told you all I can tell you. I know that you're trying to make illegal copies, and I simply can't help you with that. I've shown you where the copiers are, and I even pointed at the buttons that you might need, and that's the absolute most I can do for you.
:witch: Well how do you know I'm not just going to make a copy of my hand, hmmmm?!?!?
:butt: Ummmmm, because you just told me what you wanted to copy?
:witch:.............
:witch: You're a real pain in the butt you know that?????
:butt: I'm sorry you feel that way Ma'am, please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

I just got a huge kick out of it, because at this point, I've probably spent a good 6 years in retail, and I've been called a lot of things, but never a "pain in the butt." Kinda made my day!

Oh let's see, I had a good one a week or two ago as well. Old man comes in with some papers in his hands.

:corsair: Yes, I need to make some copies of this, but I need to change the dates on it.
[This is something that we can do, but it sounded kind of off, so I asked him to see the papers. They were letters from the Social Security Administration.]
:) I'm sorry sir, that is something that we can do, but I can't do this for you.
:corsair: Well why the hell not?
:) Well, because this is from the Social Security Administration. What you're asking me to do isn't exactly legal.
:corsair: Oh, ok.

And he just left.

Well, that's all I can think of now, but I also just wanted to throw out there that in my personal experience thusfar, preachers and anyone related to churches are loving dicks, assholes, and cunts. We've literally had preachers threaten to kill us. Now, neo-nazis on the other hand (at least the only ones I've knowingly dealt with) are really loving cool, laid-back, and nice.

Haha, ok, I just thought of one more. This just happened this past Saturday. The guy who opened the store is black, and he was there by himself until I came in a couple hours later. So, the second customer of the day comes in and this is the conversation that followed:

:bigtran: Um, please don't take this the wrong way, I swear I'm not racist, but is there soemone, um....white...that could help me?
:smug: Well, ma'am, I am white!
:bigtran: Uhhh, excuse me?
:smug: Yes, you see, that medicine Michael Jackson took to make himself white? Well, I took the opposite, and now I look black. I'm actually white though!
:bigtran: Ugh, nevermind.

And she left! Haha, if I'd been there, I would have told her that I'm actually black, just to watch her head explode. Note, this same guy was also working at another store on the west side one day (that part of town is known for being home to most of the city's white trash) and he actually got called a junglebunny. Hahaha, he didn't even know what that meant or that he'd been called something extremely racist until someone had to tell him later. God, I love people!!!!

edit: Haha, just thought of one more. This isn't so much "the customer is an rear end in a top hat" as much as it's "the customer is a dumbass." Anyway, this lady had been in a couple months ago. I pulled out her paperwork after this incident and saw that she'd placed her original order on like May 19 or something within a couple days of that date. She'd brought in a very nice banner, and she wanted us to make some adhesive vinyl lettering to cover up parts of it, essentially just making changes to it, rather than getting a whole new banner made.

Well, that was no problem, so we had it ready for her a couple days later, and it's just sat in the store ever since. Well, about a week and a half ago, the same lady comes in with her son and his fiancee, to see about getting a photo enlarged and mounted for the upcoming wedding. Now, no one recognized her because it had been almost 2 months since we'd even seen her. So they're there for awhile, going over this and that, and in the middle of the consultation, the lady's like "Oh, you know what? I think I have a banner here from a long time ago. You guys never called me about it!!!!" So, my assistant manager goes and grabs it and looks at the details and is like "Um, ma'am, actually, I've called you about this order every Tuesday for the last month." She wants to know what number we have for her, so he reads it off for her and she's like "Well, that's the right number, so I don't know!" Anyway, he gives it to her, she pays for it, and they finish their consultation. Eventually, they left without actually placing a new order.

About half an hour later, our new guy is messing around on the other side of the counter, and he picks something up and is like "Umm, does this belong to anyone?" And sure enough, it's that lady's fuckin banner! She paid for it and then left it with us! I was just like "Motherfucker!" So I called the number we had for her, and guess what. It wasn't her number after all, it was the number of her loving church! So I left a message on the voicemail explaining the situation, and in the voicemail greeting it actually gave a fax number, so I typed up a letter explaining the situation and faxed it to her as well. While she'd been in the store, apparently my co-worker had actually started to put an order in the system for her son, so his phone number was in our database. We looked it up and called him, but he didn't answer and we left a message with him too. This was about a week and a half ago, as I said. The banner's still in the store.

CUMGUARD fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 5, 2011

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

alreadybeen posted:

This is beautiful. I'll suggest it to my manager next time I'm in but somehow I doubt we'll implement it.

CUMGUARD posted:

:bigtran: Um, please don't take this the wrong way, I swear I'm not racist, but is there soemone, um....white...that could help me?

What the gently caress, does this happen often? Your coworker's reaction is hilarious though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CUMGUARD posted:

:bigtran: I swear I'm not racist, but...

The absolute guarantee that the next words you say are going to be racist.

CUMGUARD
Nov 22, 2004

Aw, hell no! What's up, dog?

Volcano posted:

What the gently caress, does this happen often? Your coworker's reaction is hilarious though.
Haha, no, that doesn't happen all that often. In fact, being downtown, there's such a large mix of people that are in and out of the store all day that you really don't usually see much racist poo poo at all. When it happens, it always kind of leaves us scratching our heads.

Just thought of another story that cracks me up. This is from a couple weeks ago, and I wasn't involved in it, but the whole thing cracks me up. So, this lady comes in one night and needs a large format black and white print to look for a lost dog. So my coworker typeset it and printed it for her on the spot. Keep in mind, we're not actually supposed to do that. No matter how simple it is, if it's "document creation" we're supposed to send it to this lovely outsourced vendor. So anyway, he does it up for her and she pays and leaves. Well, apparently my co-worker misspelled a word (this is not uncommon for him). She calls up later and starts screaming at my other coworker (who'd had nothing to do with it, but who was there at the time) and screams "How the gently caress do you spell 'poodle'?" My coworker has no clue what the gently caress she's talking about so she's like "Um, P-O-O-D-L-E?" And the lady's like "Yeah that's right, your idiot coworker spelled it "puddle"!!!!!!!"

So immediately my coworker apologizes to her, says that they'll fix it and reprint it immediately, and she can just come right back and get it. So they do, and she comes back and picks it up and leaves. A minute or so after she leaves, she comes running back in yelling "My car's being towed and I don't have any cash, does anyone have $xxx I can borrow?" My coworkers have absolutely zero responsibility for any of this, but out of the kindness of their hearts actually started digging around in their own pockets looking for money to give her, but they didn't have any. Apparently another customer gave her 20 bucks, and she left. Well, that wasn't the end of it, as you can probably imagine.

A note before I continue. As I said, my store is downtown. There is NO free parking downtown, anywhere; however, we have a parking lot attached to our store that is free for customers to use, but only while they're in the building. If you leave the premises for any reason, you're subject to be towed, and the towing company is always on the lookout and they'll get you faster than you can even believe it. People always think that we're in "cahoots" with the towing company, but in fact, we have nothing to do with them, they just tow from our lot, we don't get any of the money, and we have very little control over it. It makes for some fantastic drama a few times a week, though, especially since we're right across the street from the Federal Building, the Bankruptcy Court, and the Bureau of Worker's Compensation. Everyone always gets towed and then comes in and raises a huge stink about it and demands we pay the towing fee, etc. No dice, however.

The thing about this situation, though, is that the lady didn't actually park in our lot. She did the first time she came in originally. So she knew we had a lot, she knew where it was (literally connected to our store) and she'd just been in it. For some reason known only to god and to her, however, when she came back, she decided to park in a paid lot next to the Bankruptcy Court, that is a much farther walk to our store. The point of all this being, while we do deal with towing poo poo all the time, this literally had nothing to do with us.

She comes in the next day to speak to the manager about it. So she's in the manager's office, screaming and cursing, going off for at least 45 minutes. My manager basically told her "Look, this isn't our fault. We have a parking lot that you could have easily used, but you didn't. This is entirely on you." Apparently, though, it was like talking to a brick wall, and they just kept going around and around in circles. My manager ends up actually getting the District Manager on the phone and explains the situation to him, and he basically says the same thing. She just kept flipping her poo poo, though, and nothing would calm her down even remotely. Eventually the DM is like "Take me off speakerphone," and tells my boss, "Look, I don't give a poo poo, just do whatever you want. If you want to pay her, then do it, if not, I really don't care, just try to get her out of there as soon as you can."

Eventually, because it was clear that things were going nowhere, my boss is just like "Ok, look. Here's what I'll do for you. I'll give you $50 store credit. That's it, that's as much as I'm doing. Period." The lady seems cool with it, so she writes up a little note saying that the lady has store credit, with a note to us employees to deduct whatever she spends on that note, if she comes in and spends less than 50 bucks. Well, she accidentally typed $100 instead of 50, but she didn't realize it until she'd already printed it out. (My manager's kind of a dumbass, although the one good thing I'll say about her is that she has her employees' backs 100%, at least in the case of a situation with a customer.) But at that point she was just like, gently caress it, this lady's probably never coming back anyway, let her just have her 100.

When she hands it to the lady, the lady's demeanor completely changes, and she starts sobbing stuff like "Oh my god, I'm soooooo sorry, this lost dog isn't even mine, I'm dogsitting for a friend and I lost their dog and I'm taking it out on you booooooohhoooooooohoooooooooo." My manager was just like :wtc: get out of here oh my god. So then the lady calms down a little bit and then actually has the balls to say "Well, how are you going to compensate the lady who lent me 20 bucks?" Hahaha, my manager was just like wtf, I'm not compensating anyone else. She was like "But, but, but, I promised the lady I'd pay her back, so what are you going to do for her?" My manager basically told her "Look, you can share your store credit with her if you want, but that's it, now gtfo."

Ahhhhh, I love working downtown!!!!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How often do people try to steal freebies from those gas station soda dispenser/slushy machines with the taps?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

WampaLord posted:

The absolute guarantee that the next words you say are going to be racist.

You know, I think I'm going to start randomly prefixing sentences with that phrase.

"Look, I'm not racist, but do you think it's going to rain this afternoon?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kazmeyer posted:

You know, I think I'm going to start randomly prefixing sentences with that phrase.

"Look, I'm not racist, but do you think it's going to rain this afternoon?"

are you asking a native American?