Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Every tablet I look at besides the iPad seems "so so", I'm really thrilled that Amazon is releasing a tablet. Hopefully it can go head to head with the iPad and will cost a couple hundred less. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Vertigus posted:

If Amazon releases a tablet with full Android capability they'll be doing a great thing.

Also, they should fix their Kindle app so it isn't slow as hell on my nook :mad:

It won't be eInk though. Not a chance. That stuff isn't read for prime time.

I know the tablet won't be E Ink, but I thought the touch screen Kindle being rumoured might be E Ink, like the Kobo and Nook touch or whatever it's called. Didn't drop with me that the touch-enabled Kindle would just be an app on an LCD tablet.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011
Whatever happened to the Pixel Qi screens? You know the ones that looked like a fairly normal LCD when backlit (although with washed out colors) and like e-ink with the backlight off.

I've never seen one of those screens in person, but I've always imagined that it would be the perfect screen for tablet/ereader hybrid.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fatpat268 posted:

Whatever happened to the Pixel Qi screens? You know the ones that looked like a fairly normal LCD when backlit (although with washed out colors) and like e-ink with the backlight off.

I've never seen one of those screens in person, but I've always imagined that it would be the perfect screen for tablet/ereader hybrid.

They're difficult to mass produce, at leas tont he level you'd need to have them in every Kindle and Nook, is last I heard of them.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Is the iriver Story HD any good? I just want something that can read books in various formats with good contrast.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mercrom posted:

Is the iriver Story HD any good? I just want something that can read books in various formats with good contrast.

If you want that, get a Kindle or Nook and install Calibre on your computer.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

fishmech posted:

If you want that, get a Kindle or Nook and install Calibre on your computer.
To get one of those I would need to import from the US. The only readers I can find for sale in Sweden that are listed in the OP are the Sony PRS-350 and PRS-650. The PRS-650 costs 60% more than the Story HD though.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mercrom posted:

To get one of those I would need to import from the US. The only readers I can find for sale in Sweden that are listed in the OP are the Sony PRS-350 and PRS-650. The PRS-650 costs 60% more than the Story HD though.

FYI importing a Kindle 3 Wifi model to Finland was a painless experience, Amazon/UPS handles VAT/customs automatically and mine was delivered within a week.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/18/amazon-rolls-out-textbook-rentals-for-kindle-promises-discounts/

This looks pretty cool. Has anyone used textbooks on kindle? My fiance is going for library science, so nothing too crazy graphics wise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The great thing is that they also work on PC/Mac/iOS/Android so even picture and graphics crazy textbooks will be fine.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The great thing is that they also work on PC/Mac/iOS/Android so even picture and graphics crazy textbooks will be fine.

It's an awesome feature. We'll see how much it costs.

DahtBard
Jan 7, 2011

Well, that's one way to do it.

Duckman2008 posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/18/amazon-rolls-out-textbook-rentals-for-kindle-promises-discounts/

This looks pretty cool. Has anyone used textbooks on kindle? My fiance is going for library science, so nothing too crazy graphics wise.

I got a free copy of my physics textbook as a pdf. I put it on my Kindle, and it worked out alright. Mostly useful for doing homework problems, as trying to actually read the chapter is difficult. Even in landscape mode, I had to zoom in to 150% to make it useful, and then switching left and right between diagram/paragraph wasn't really worth the work IMO.

Also, trying to translate to mobi was hilariously bad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ouch. Borders is completely done. All remaining stores are going to be liquidated.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/18/news/companies/borders_liquidation/index.htm

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Depressing, but I guess it was just a matter of time. The last store here in Western Australia closed down a couple weeks ago, I got some good deals on books and a half-price case for my PRS 350 though :)

Is there any word on whether this means their online store is closing down as well?

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

Duckman2008 posted:

I was able to get all but a few of my library science texts through interlibrary loan. Most of them from local public libraries (one library in particular has a more than decent library science collection). Never had a problem with everyone else requesting them, either. She can probably find the syllabuses for classes online and then check WorldCat for the books.

Sorry. I got library in the ereader thread.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Ouch. Borders is completely done. All remaining stores are going to be liquidated.

That's too bad. Good thing I used up my gift cards a few months ago.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm guessing that it's illegal / entirely against Amazon's TOS to have multiple people register their Kindles to one Amazon account and share purchases?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Centipeed posted:

I'm guessing that it's illegal / entirely against Amazon's TOS to have multiple people register their Kindles to one Amazon account and share purchases?

I think you can only have 1 per account period. Could be wrong though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure why it would, I know Barnes and Noble doesn't care and you can have multiple nooks registered to one account. It's mostly a matter of who you trust with being able to make purchases on your credit card.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_kip_faq_num?nodeId=200298470&#howmany

quote:

Most books and other non-subscription items you purchase from the Kindle store may be simultaneously accessed for your personal use on up to six Kindles (or Kindle compatible devices, such as Kindle for iPhone) registered to your Amazon.com account. If the limit is less than six kindles for a specific title, you'll see the message "Simultaneous Device usage: Up to X simultaneous devices, per publisher limits" on the detail page.

If you reach the device limit and wish to replace one of your current devices with a new one, you must first deregister and delete the content from the device you wish to replace before you can access the content in question from your new device. For device registration instructions, please see the Help page for the device you wish to register/deregister on the Kindle Support pages. There is no limit on the number of times a title can be downloaded to a registered device.

Subscription content can only be downloaded to one Kindle at a time and cannot be accessed from Kindle for iPhone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 19, 2011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Centipeed posted:

It isn't. You'd better trust people not use all your money though.

FidgetyRat posted:

I think you can only have 1 per account period. Could be wrong though.

Completely false - you can have 6 "devices" registered, where a device is either a Kindle or a Kindle application on a computer/tablet/phone.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

fishmech posted:

Completely false - you can have 6 "devices" registered, where a device is either a Kindle or a Kindle application on a computer/tablet/phone.

Yeah, my wife and I are on the same account for obvious reasons, both with our own kindles. I had to turn off the syncing feature when we started reading the same books though (automatically picks up where you left off no matter what device you use).

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen

bull3964 posted:

borders didnt have an online store at all until like 2003 or some poo poo, them going under wasnt that big of a surprise to people paying attention to that kind of thing

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but I can't find a Samsung-specific thread or General Phone chat thread:

My friend bought an (awful, just awful) Samsung GT-s3350, and she's trying to find out if there's any sort of PDF reader she can downladoad for it.

Some light googling has failed to turn up anything but I figured I'd ask here first before telling her to take this back and buy a real phone.

Any suggestions?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&tag=kwab-20&docId=1000705681

Amazon is having a big sale through July 27, more than 900 Kindle books are on sale for $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, and $3.99.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but I can't find a Samsung-specific thread or General Phone chat thread:

My friend bought an (awful, just awful) Samsung GT-s3350, and she's trying to find out if there's any sort of PDF reader she can downladoad for it.

Some light googling has failed to turn up anything but I figured I'd ask here first before telling her to take this back and buy a real phone.

Any suggestions?

If it's an android phone, there's plenty of PDF readers (incl. one from Adobe) available, but one of the Android threads is going to have better information. If it's not an Android phone, then I've got no idea.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doc Faustus posted:

If it's an android phone, there's plenty of PDF readers (incl. one from Adobe) available, but one of the Android threads is going to have better information. If it's not an Android phone, then I've got no idea.

It's not Android, it appears to be some lovely featurephone with a QWERTY keyboard that's been redesigned to mimic the way an older Blackberry looks.

I'm pretty your friend isn't going to find PDF reader for that thing Ur Getting Fatter, that thing seems to run custom Java Mobile apps with a low-res screen, even it did have a PDF reader it'd be a pain in the rear end to read.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sperg Victorious posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&tag=kwab-20&docId=1000705681

Amazon is having a big sale through July 27, more than 900 Kindle books are on sale for $0.99, $1.99, $2.99, and $3.99.

Thanks for posting this. Their last sale I picked up half-a-dozen books, and this one I found nearly a dozen. These are great, great sales and I hope Amazon continues these.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

At some point I hope people look at the numbers from these sales and makes these the standard price points for eBooks, even $3.99 is kind of pushing it for the price I'd want to pay. Maybe I'm just too old, I remember buying crappy Del Rey Fantasy novels for $2.95 as a kid and had literally hundreds of them =/

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Any highlights from the sale? I'm thinking of grabbing I Am Legend for $3.99. I just grabbed Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell for $3.99 using some left over gift card funds I forgot about.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I picked up Hybrid, Hard Spell, Words you should know to sound smart, and Mortal Evidence.

All of em came up to something like 6-7$.

The entire series of Worst Case Scenarios is on sale as well for 2$ a pop, thinking of getting the ones I don't have.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

At some point I hope people look at the numbers from these sales and makes these the standard price points for eBooks, even $3.99 is kind of pushing it for the price I'd want to pay. Maybe I'm just too old, I remember buying crappy Del Rey Fantasy novels for $2.95 as a kid and had literally hundreds of them =/

Yeah. I'll buy a book at $9.95 if I know for sure that I'll like it, but I will drop $3 on anything that looks even remotely interesting. Same thing with music downloads.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Hughlander posted:

There was one author explaining how $2.99 tends to be his sweet spot for selling copies and making money. He makes almost the same amount from a $2.99 ebook as he does from a hardcover, depending on how well it sells.

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2010/09/ebook-pricing.html

Another blog looks at what price points are selling and how most people are buying around the 2-4 dollar range, not so much at $9.99.

http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/wordpress/2011/01/12/ebook-pricing-vs-revenue/

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Nothing makes me :ughh: quite like terrible ebook pricing. The Passage is $9.60 for a paperback, and $9.99 for a digital edition (and the same at Barnes & Noble, for their respective versions). I get that the majority of costs with a book don't necessarily come from physical publication, but it seems like when prices are set like this it's a real uphill battle to get digital books to be anything but a side show.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Boxman posted:

Nothing makes me :ughh: quite like terrible ebook pricing. The Passage is $9.60 for a paperback, and $9.99 for a digital edition (and the same at Barnes & Noble, for their respective versions). I get that the majority of costs with a book don't necessarily come from physical publication, but it seems like when prices are set like this it's a real uphill battle to get digital books to be anything but a side show.

Since Amazon sells more ebooks than print books, I think digital books are doing okay.

DahtBard
Jan 7, 2011

Well, that's one way to do it.
I understand when book prices tend to be a little off. Hardcovers being more expensive than paperbacks, which are both still cheaper than the Kindle version. Weird little technical things happen all the time, I get it.

But I do not understand this one bit. Not at all.

:wtc:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's part of the "Sunshine Sales" through July 27th, it's not the normal price.

Oh wait, hardcover for $50, maybe a typo?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mu Zeta posted:

It's part of the "Sunshine Sales" through July 27th, it's not the normal price.

Oh wait, hardcover for $50, maybe a typo?

Book goes out of print in hardcover, a third party reseller has stock of it and sells it, fulfilled through Amazon, for $50. That's probably what happened at any rate.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

fishmech posted:

Book goes out of print in hardcover, a third party reseller has stock of it and sells it, fulfilled through Amazon, for $50. That's probably what happened at any rate.

Yeah, hardcover prices tend to skyrocket because they're done in limited runs unless they're Dan Brown novels or whatever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Should I go for a B&W Nook or this new iRiver that has Google's eBookstore integrated?

I used a Nook the other day and I think it's a better piece of hardware, I just have trouble seeing it survive because it's walking an unsteady line of trying to support a brick & mortar chain and shutting down the need for physical bookstores at the same time, like an RIAA-approved MP3 player. But the buttons on that iRiver are just so 1987 tape deck player...

Still, that's what the Nook's EPUB support is for, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seeing as how you can use the Google eBooks on the nook, I don't see as how the iRiver is a very compelling choice unless being able to get books on the device without using a computer is a huge requirement.

In related news, it is confirmed that Google Books will be powering the Pottermania eBook sales (which I find odd considering how Sony is the party backing the majority of the site.)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/21/j-k-rowling-google-to-bring-pottermania-to-your-e-reader/