Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Doomworld doesnt open so can't download the wads :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hosting some DTWID with Hard Doom.

GoonDoom - 24.151.47.114:10666

HD - http://www.skulltag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30341

DTWID - http://dtwid.herokuapp.com/

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 17, 2012

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Heretic with that class mod was fun. I'm glad we finally got to do a Heretic event. :)

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Pooping out sentries everywhere was fun. Having to save my shotgun shells for it and desperately search out more in the maps wasn't quite as much.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Are there any DooM mods similar to War of Attrition for Duke3D? I'm basically looking for RPG mechanics, random map playlists, and power levels of both player and enemy going into hilariously exponential heights.

vvv: I've tried this one: I recognized the pistols, shotgun, and orb sounds from DMC so my curiosity was piqued. Once you get to the higher levels though, you'll steamroll enemies to the point it gets kinda boring unless you're using a custom mappack with inflated amounts of enemies.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 20, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Are there any DooM mods similar to War of Attrition for Duke3D? I'm basically looking for RPG mechanics, random map playlists, and power levels of both player and enemy going into hilariously exponential heights.

Not random playlists (but it is complatible with any level pack), and I don't think it does anything to enemies, but Psychic has all the levelling up and becoming a cosmic badass that you could want.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Not random playlists (but it is complatible with any level pack), and I don't think it does anything to enemies, but Psychic has all the levelling up and becoming a cosmic badass that you could want.

One of the best things about Attrition is that the enemies level up with you (in both power and quantity), so it starts off as plain Duke, and by the end you're fighting giant swarms of super-fast alien face-shredders backed up by Battlelords with lava for skin by throwing seeking blinding cluster pipebombs, sucking your enemies into black holes, and summoning nuclear explosions with your mind (while fighting alongside your flying robot twin). The power level gets completely ridiculous, but it remains challenging throughout - the final boss can actually be quite a bitch. Without that it would just be boring.

War of Attrition is awesome and hands down one of my favorite FPS mods.

...actually, consider this a seconding of toasterwarrior's request; I would love to play other mods like this for other games. Doom, Half-Life, Marathon, anything.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The guy behind Brutal Doom continues to excite and utterly-freak-me-out with how much detail he puts into the death and gore mechanics of his mod, and now that he posted a recent video showing off his progress with new explosion-related deaths for zombiemen in v.16, I start to question whether I should keep cheering this guy on or try to find him psychiatric help.

Then I remember that he's yet to implement fatalities for the Cyberdemon.

Also are there any good, brutal doom-co-op-friendly doom 2 wads out there that feature heavily on loads of small enemies (zombiemen/imps/demons)? Prowling around the doomseeker servers for new and interesting material has left me with nothing but a bunch of really awful jump-pad maps, unfinished wads, and some kind of horrible Sonic the Hedgehog level pack.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love how the body just flies around without limbs after getting killed by a nearby explosion (and flying to the correct direction too!). They just just hire this guy for Doom 4, Brütal Doom 4 :c00lbert:.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Guillermus posted:

I love how the body just flies around without limbs after getting killed by a nearby explosion (and flying to the correct direction too!). They just just hire this guy for Doom 4, Brütal Doom 4 :c00lbert:.

Honestly, they should just make him head of development and let him get the gently caress on. I haven't enjoyed a straight FPS this much in years, even if some of the wads get a bit too hard with it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rather Dashing posted:

Honestly, they should just make him head of development and let him get the gently caress on. I haven't enjoyed a straight FPS this much in years, even if some of the wads get a bit too hard with it.

I agree with this. A lot of people have made stuff for Doom that is of very high quality, but the guy behind Brutal Doom (someone here, right?) truly seems to understand what it is about Doom that makes it timeless. Even having played both I can't really pinpoint what it is. Whatever it is, I know that the original Dooms are dead to me and Brutal Doom is now the definitive version.

I'm trying to think of other games that were improved similarly by a mod, in such a way that it makes you never want to play vanilla again. Biomod for Deus Ex? BGT/TuTu for Baldur's Gate? That one mod for Saint's Row 2? That's all I can think of. It's also pretty cool that except for BGT/TuTu (unless I am mistaken), all of those mods are worked on by goons.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 21, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
SMOD pretty much made it so that I never wanted to play vanilla Half-Life 2 ever again. That poo poo was so goddamn over-the-top but really polished and fun as hell.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've heard about SMOD being fun, but when I saw the description of it with all the MGS classes, I gave it a pass. Maybe I should give it another look.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've heard about SMOD being fun, but when I saw the description of it with all the MGS classes, I gave it a pass. Maybe I should give it another look.

Huh? I think that's some janky fan-made variant. There's nothing MGS-related about vanilla SMod.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah there are a bunch of mods that spun off from SMOD. The original one just adds a buttload of weapons to the game, crazy gore, cannibalism, a mighty boot, bullet time and a host of other nonsense.

They best thing about it though is that he actually took the time to implement the stuff into the campaign. You don't just get all of the weapons up front, you actually earn them progressively like a real game would dole them out. There are cheats of course but its nice that he made the mod so that you could revel in the insanity and still enjoy the game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Awesome news! Can't wait to try that out. I hate to de-rail the thread asking about non-early FPSes but are any of the spinoffs worth a drat? Or should I just stick with regular ol' SMOD 4.0 (which I assume is the latest version)?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I agree with this. A lot of people have made stuff for Doom that is of very high quality, but the guy behind Brutal Doom (someone here, right?) truly seems to understand what it is about Doom that makes it timeless. Even having played both I can't really pinpoint what it is. Whatever it is, I know that the original Dooms are dead to me and Brutal Doom is now the definitive version.

I'm trying to think of other games that were improved similarly by a mod, in such a way that it makes you never want to play vanilla again. Biomod for Deus Ex? BGT/TuTu for Baldur's Gate? That one mod for Saint's Row 2? That's all I can think of. It's also pretty cool that except for BGT/TuTu (unless I am mistaken), all of those mods are worked on by goons.

Cinema for Max Payne 2, too. Goddamn that was so much fun.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Awesome news! Can't wait to try that out. I hate to de-rail the thread asking about non-early FPSes but are any of the spinoffs worth a drat? Or should I just stick with regular ol' SMOD 4.0 (which I assume is the latest version)?

Yeah it looks like 4.0 is the latest version and then there are two small fixes to that along with something else you have to do to get mods working properly as Valve has been futzing with the engine. There's a paragraph on what all to do on this page: http://smod.wikidot.com/smod:getting-started

Hopefully the mod will be in English as its a Japanese developer. I don't remember if the version I played was translated by someone else or not but that was like four years ago.

e: oh weird it looks like he's also been working on SMOD2, a complete rewrite taking advantage of Source engine changes. i'd still got for v4.0 but hrmmmery

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

There's also SMOD CSS Sci Fi. Which takes Counter Strike Source maps and turns them into missions, with all the SMOD insanity (and more).

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW

Mill Village posted:

There's also SMOD CSS Sci Fi. Which takes Counter Strike Source maps and turns them into missions, with all the SMOD insanity (and more).

This is how I played SMod and it's a great way to do it. There's big battles with lots of soldiers, and bossfights against choppers. I remember the event triggers would sometimes break though.

Some of the weapons in SMod are completely wacky, it's easy to get burnt out on it if you just godmode and turn everything to max.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Mill Village posted:

At the risk of derailing the thread, just wanted to second this. It is tons of fun and modular. Using bullet time and 'enhanced' physics to send alien soldiers flying with sniper shots is the true way to play CS as far as I'm concerned.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Cinema for Max Payne 2, too. Goddamn that was so much fun.

Kung-Fu 3.0 and Ultimate V7 for Max Payne 2, Cinema and Elements of Style for Max Payne 2... I'll never play both games without these mods, they're just so loving awesome.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

Also are there any good, brutal doom-co-op-friendly doom 2 wads out there that feature heavily on loads of small enemies (zombiemen/imps/demons)? Prowling around the doomseeker servers for new and interesting material has left me with nothing but a bunch of really awful jump-pad maps, unfinished wads, and some kind of horrible Sonic the Hedgehog level pack.

Looking when I get home... keep in mind brutal doom lite can be used successfully with many wads that adds guns.

Neodoom, scythe, ghoul series, alien vendetta, and doom the way id did it(doom wad), all come to mind. poo poo, I'd like to host all these, myself. New router next month...

Shall we set up some sort of April Old School FPS thing?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kazvall posted:

A dedicated thread for that might be a good idea - drum up a little more interest than a generic 'old shooters' thread, at the very least. A quick list of what we're playing and what people will need should do it - hell, even people without Doom/Doom 2 could join in using FreeDoom.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

I think the default settings in SMOD multiply physics effects during slowmo, so you can kick a combine's body so hard they hit one of the buildings in the skybox and explode.

Also, shovel-jumping never gets old.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The shovel in SMOD is the best, and most versatile, melee weapon in all of games.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dominic White posted:

A dedicated thread for that might be a good idea - drum up a little more interest than a generic 'old shooters' thread, at the very least. A quick list of what we're playing and what people will need should do it - hell, even people without Doom/Doom 2 could join in using FreeDoom.

Well, first off, how many hosts can we get? Secondly, what do you guys want to play? Make a thread in games, yes? I can start setting something up... Silly question, but are there any April Fools wads out there?

It would be nice to blow through the 5 top megawads for Doom/Doom2, sprinkle a little Heretic in, and maybe a couple nights of more team based wads like Master of Puppets, and Stronghold.

So, that's at least one event a week. Based on previous events, I will easily be able to host some Brutal Doom Co-op, and Heretic with about 10-15 people. Might be nice for someone who can handle 20-30 people doing Stronghold or Master of Puppets.

If you'd like to help with a thread, or organization/hosting, say so here, or message me on steam. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197961412493/

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Kazvall posted:

Neodoom, scythe, ghoul series, alien vendetta, and doom the way id did it(doom wad), all come to mind. poo poo, I'd like to host all these, myself. New router next month...

All but the Ghoul series you mention I have utterly demolished with Brutal Doom, but I'll try out Ghoul if it means not having to deal with someone's huge grey box-map filled with arachnotrons set to lovely MIDI-versions of Sonic the Hedgehog music.

And for today's Brutal Doom .16 preview, SgtMarkIV (or just Mark?) gives us the opportunity to go all Clarence Boddicker on a Former Commando.

edit: You can count me in on any Stronghold or Brutal Doom shenanigans, Kazvall.

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 21, 2012

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

All but the Ghoul series you mention I have utterly demolished with Brutal Doom, but I'll try out Ghoul if it means not having to deal with someone's huge grey box-map filled with arachnotrons set to lovely MIDI-versions of Sonic the Hedgehog music.

And for today's Brutal Doom .16 preview, SgtMarkIV (or just Mark?) gives us the opportunity to go all Clarence Boddicker on a Former Captain.

Hard man to please. We're going to have to put our heads together to find the most crazy obscure wads to host and show the world.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I had forgotten all about Smod, that CSS Sci-Fi looks really fun too. Are there any similar multiplayer mods to look into? Got a lan party coming up and want to play some new games outside of TF2 and Quake 3.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Here is some Brutal 015a!

Alien Vendetta - 64.121.215.235:10666
Memento Mori II - 64.121.215.235:10667

mt1
Mar 5, 2007
Weird question for you. I save all my doom wads to one folder and play them through there. It usually isnt a problem keeping track of which one I'm currently playing. However, my pc crashed 2 weeks ago and in all the excitement of bringing it back to life I forgot which wad I was playing though last. Is there any way of telling from a save file which wad its for? Or maybe a list of the last wads loaded through gzdoom?

Edit: Derf I sorted by date modified and it was near the top. Ignore the dumbass.

mt1 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 22, 2012

rline
Nov 29, 2003

Come watch Quakeworld North America Draft League 4v4 Finals: http://www.twitch.tv/rlinez

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

rline posted:

Come watch Quakeworld North America Draft League 4v4 Finals: http://www.twitch.tv/rlinez

This seems like a cool diversion from watching poo poo on TV.

Fake edit: I'm trying, but like most league games, it is a ton of people waiting on 1 person so they can all start.

Actual edit: Meh. I don't think QW will ever be exciting to watch for me anymore. Thanks for the link, tho.

Essobie fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 22, 2012

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

The guy behind Brutal Doom continues to excite and utterly-freak-me-out with how much detail he puts into the death and gore mechanics of his mod, and now that he posted a recent video showing off his progress with new explosion-related deaths for zombiemen in v.16, I start to question whether I should keep cheering this guy on or try to find him psychiatric help.

Brutal Doom is pretty much the apex of everything 90s (especially 90s comic books). All it needs is a borderline-anorexic woman player character that wears a black and tight two-piece outfit with her navel and lot of cleavage exposed, the ability to ride a skateboard, and a katana to hack enemies in half and it will be peak 90s in one package.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

closeted republican posted:

Brutal Doom is pretty much the apex of everything 90s (especially 90s comic books). All it needs is a borderline-anorexic woman player character that wears a black and tight two-piece outfit with her navel and lot of cleavage exposed, the ability to ride a skateboard, and a katana to hack enemies in half and it will be peak 90s in one package.

There's no giant robots or jetpacks in it. Yet.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There's no giant robots or jetpacks in it. Yet.

A man can always dream. :allears:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yodzilla posted:

John Romero is still in the industry? I just kind of imagined him living in a trailer somewhere outside of Dallas and obsessively brushing his own hair all day.

He moved to Romania so he could claim https://www.rome.ro and I think there was something about a mail-order bride or five?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

He moved to Romania so he could claim https://www.rome.ro and I think there was something about a mail-order bride or five?

Nah, he's in the USA. He dumped his mail order bride (probably after she got her green card :v:) and now his current girlfriend is a game designer from Sierra back before they started sucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Dominic White posted:

This sounds like a great idea - I've kind of neglected the multiplayer side of things in this thread because timezones etc. :(