Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Lunars need more books. They're cool.

Give me Lunar heroquests and more Lunar cult details and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Had another crash in the LP, and I had about enough of it.

I'm assuming that's David Dunham, one of the original Devs.

:sigh: I hope Six Ages fixes this poo poo.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Considering the deliberately heavy RNG nature of both what events you get and what the effect of each option within an event is, I'd be considerably more surprised if they did allow that. Not only from a technical perspective but also from a balance one.

One reasonable way to avoid crashes in the first place, is to save at your convenience and manually quit and relaunch the game periodically. Almost any game will crash eventually if just left running forever - just that the better-coded ones tend to be able to go a lot longer. This won't help with a random out-of-the-blue crash but will certainly help with a you've-left-the-game-running-for-three-days-straight crash.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's not like memory is an issue these days, is it? Surely there's no reason they couldn't just save a lot more data each time. It's just that KODP was released in 1998.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

The Sharmat posted:

It's not like memory is an issue these days, is it? Surely there's no reason they couldn't just save a lot more data each time. It's just that KODP was released in 1998.

I assume that's less of a memory issue and more of a "how it was programmed" issue.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fungah! posted:

he's dumb and didn't know that it's welch

Indeed I am and did not / I am a Scottish partisan with very strong feelings about those other hill barbarians. :argh:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Sharmat posted:

Bear in mind the Steam version is ported from the Android version(which can technically work on something as small as a phone). They presumably had to be more cautious about saving huge amounts of data on more limited devices. I'm guessing that's also part of why there's no manual saving, only yearly autosaves and the autosave on quit.

It's incredibly stupid to keep those restrictions when going back to PC, though. But I've already beaten that point to death. (Small noble pools. Sliding menus. Anything to do with the goddamned map. :argh:)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I assume that's less of a memory issue and more of a "how it was programmed" issue.

Yeah but I mean, wasn't it probably programmed that way specifically because it's a game from 1998, and not from 2015?

I dunno I don't know that much about programming so I should probably just shut up.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Indeed I am and did not / I am a Scottish partisan with very strong feelings about those other hill barbarians. :argh:

If it makes you feel better, I didn't know that either.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that's cool, it's probably the exact same thing either way

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Haifisch posted:

Bear in mind the Steam version is ported from the Android version(which can technically work on something as small as a phone). They presumably had to be more cautious about saving huge amounts of data on more limited devices. I'm guessing that's also part of why there's no manual saving, only yearly autosaves and the autosave on quit.

It's incredibly stupid to keep those restrictions when going back to PC, though. But I've already beaten that point to death. (Small noble pools. Sliding menus. Anything to do with the goddamned map. :argh:)

I feel like the small noble pool thing has to be an RNG problem and not a deliberate change in the port. I mean, it's definitely not a thing on iOS, and that's where the Android and new PC version came from. There's no gameplay reason to do it.

The UI stuff, on the other hand, totally sounds like a mess. I can't play the Steam version myself, but don't need to—the iOS version works just fine. :)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kamikaze Raider posted:

It seems to be this. I commented on the android version that they ought to allow some way to slide the screen without selecting due to screen size limits on some phones and stuff, and they said that it was part of the engine or some poo poo.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So what do I have to do exactly for the 10 year ring thing to win the game? I already did orlanth's heroquest.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

DrManiac posted:

So what do I have to do exactly for the 10 year ring thing to win the game? I already did orlanth's heroquest.

For the Short game, you need to perform The Making of the Storm Tribe and one other Heroquest, create a tribe with a bunch of neighboring clans, get one of your nobles elected King of your tribe, and hold that position for ten years.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
For the long game, do only heroquests your clan dies after you get elected king count? Or do you get credit for ones you've already done?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ibntumart posted:

For the long game, do only heroquests your clan dies after you get elected king count? Or do you get credit for ones you've already done?

You have to do 7 more quests after you form a tribe, then be king in time to catch the endgame. An event will occur that will clue you in on the timeframe once you have done the quests.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Kliff posted:

For the Short game, you need to perform The Making of the Storm Tribe and one other Heroquest, create a tribe with a bunch of neighboring clans, get one of your nobles elected King of your tribe, and hold that position for ten years.

Is there anyway to see what the other hero quest is? I tried like 3 and I'm still getting the failure state.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

DrManiac posted:

Is there anyway to see what the other hero quest is? I tried like 3 and I'm still getting the failure state.

The info above isn't quite right. You need to do both Orlanth's quest and one other in the ten years you hold the ring. That is, Orlanth and Aroka, not the Storm Tribe. You also need to be above certain thresholds for cows and goods and so forth, but I'm not sure what those are.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If you're an Elmal or Ernalda clan in the short game don't you have to do Elmal Guards the Stead or Ernalda Feeds the Tribe instead of Orlanth and Aroka?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

The Sharmat posted:

If you're an Elmal or Ernalda clan in the short game don't you have to do Elmal Guards the Stead or Ernalda Feeds the Tribe instead of Orlanth and Aroka?
Yes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Curiosity question: is it even theoretically possible to recover from an apocalypse event, or does the game just give you a moment to savor how doomed you are before going 'game over'?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

FredMSloniker posted:

Curiosity question: is it even theoretically possible to recover from an apocalypse event, or does the game just give you a moment to savor how doomed you are before going 'game over'?

I think the losses are percentage-based, so I guess if you had something ridiculous like 10,000 cows and population pre-apocalypse you might stand a chance, maybe?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Depends on the apocalypse, too. They have different effects.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I think that's a no. I had one apocalypse before Sacred Time and got to allocate my magic and talk them intp trying to soldier on, then the first thing that happene in the next year was another apocalypse, then it was definitely time to disband.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Infinitum posted:

Had another crash in the LP, and I had about enough of it.

I'm assuming that's David Dunham, one of the original Devs.

:sigh: I hope Six Ages fixes this poo poo.

For the purposes of your LP, you could try to run KODP in a VM, then save the VM's state during event votes. Restore from that snapshot to continue. Might be more trouble than it's worth, though.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I think I managed to break my game in the Steam version, Kallyr was born to my tribe then I got her elected queen of my tribe age like 16, before she was killed on a raid thanks to RNG.

Now my tribe has no king/queen and no events are popping for a new one while my game crashes each time I try to enter the magic tab, oops! I had over 4000 cows as well.

Kliff
Feb 7, 2009

Forgotten by everyone? Kanako's fault.

BlindGuy posted:

The info above isn't quite right. You need to do both Orlanth's quest and one other in the ten years you hold the ring. That is, Orlanth and Aroka, not the Storm Tribe. You also need to be above certain thresholds for cows and goods and so forth, but I'm not sure what those are.

Ah, yes, it's not quite right because I was operating under before-the-tribe assumptions and also had never played the Short Game where the ten-year tribal king was the only goal. I've always played the Long Game, where you had to get seven heroquests, one of which must be your associated heroquest, as well as everything else necessary.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

bgreman posted:

For the purposes of your LP, you could try to run KODP in a VM, then save the VM's state during event votes. Restore from that snapshot to continue. Might be more trouble than it's worth, though.
This is the way to go if you can get it to work. Only part that'd give me pause is porting the save over, since I have no clue where steam hides that.

This is also the way to go for anyone trying to get the original version to work. Just slap it on a Windows 98 VM and call it a day(and enjoy the fact that you can actually play it in a window now).

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Patch 1.0.1 is live. Nothing big, but:

quote:

- several minor tweaks and fixes
- random crashes fixed
- 1.25 aspect ratio support (1280x1024 etc)
- mouse scrolling support

:woop:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I now have my fun with this game by randomly generating all my clans by rolling dice for each generation choice then try to roleplay the result. Adds some spice to the game since you often get weird combinations. Like an Orlanth worshiping Peace clan that keeps thralls.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Well, thralls are unarmed, I guess.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
They're dedicated to peace, farming, and forcing other people to do farmwork for them. I see no inconsistancies there. :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They keep their thralls working with passive aggression.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Haifisch posted:

They're dedicated to peace, farming, and forcing other people to do farmwork for them. I see no inconsistancies there. :v:

If you trample our crop fields while invading, you get to work on them. Pretty simple. :v:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Maybe they just bought the thralls.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
If you let lesser people have rights you're inviting chaos into your peaceful tula.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

PerniciousKnid posted:

If you let lesser people have rights you're inviting chaos into your peaceful tula.

This unironically

It's the Orlanthi way

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

fspades posted:

Patch 1.0.1 is live. Nothing big, but:

:woop:

Does it fix the thing where the myths show up as the half-known version no matter how much or how little you know?

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
The android version might still be a little buggy. I have an undying Channa Arroy worshiper. For three years now, at the end of the dark season, right after the year roll over, a message pops up telling me she has died of old age. I go to reorganize the ring, and there she is, alive as ever, scowling at me. Is she a chaos cultist? Does she know Yelm's secrets so she can die and be reborn every winter? Is she good enough at healing that she can heal herself after she dies?

I did the only reasonable thing you can do with that, I threw her into Chalana Arroy Heals the Scars. That went sort of alright, but she couldn't convince the Storm Bull to relent, and let him kill Ragnaglar. I'm sure there will be no consequences.

Pretty great bug to be honest.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You're just going to get a Humakti apocalypse in a few seasons for harboring someone who's clearly undead. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Bunch of SixAges info here: http://www.pockettactics.com/features/a-strange-whisper-six-ages-will-be-2016s-follow-up-to-the-classic-king-of-dragon-pass/

Late 2016...

:negative:

quote:

Six Ages will be broadly similar to King of Dragon Pass — from what Dunham’s told me, you can probably still expect to be leading a clan in Glorantha, taking advice from your selected ring of clan elders and juggling the political, economic, and military fortunes of your people through interactive “scenes”. Six Ages is “[n]ot necessarily a sequel in the usual sense, but taking a look at the parts of KoDP that worked well, and using them to make a new game that’s even better,” says Dunham

While KoDP has changed significantly since the iOS version first launched, Dunham is looking forward to starting fresh with Six Ages. “One part of KoDP that occasionally drew complaints was its abstract combat system,” says Dunham. “I don’t want to change the overall character of the game, but I’ve currently got a combat system that remains fairly abstract, and fits with the interaction style of the game, but also gives you more ways to see and influence a combat in progress.”

Combat isn’t the only aspect of Six Ages that’s getting rebuilt. “One of the themes of the game will be exploration, so there are some twists to KoDP’s approach. One of these relates to timing — exactly when the events of an exploration occurred was kind of hand-waved in KoDP. Now we’re allowing an explorer to have an interaction, and then return home in separate turns.”

There’s also changes coming to how the game presents the world of Glorantha itself. “[Glorantha] is in new hands these days,” Dunham says, “so we’ve been working closely with [new license holders] Moon Design. Their 800-page Guide to Glorantha is a primary reference, but I seem to have almost every book they publish open as a PDF. Glorantha is incredibly detailed, but Six Ages will be adding more, in the same way KoDP did (and at the same time, hopefully making things as accessible as possible even if you have never encountered the world before).”

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 11, 2015

• Locked thread