Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Isn't it actually cheaper if you activate it up front too?
e: yeah. $2500 as an option, $3000 later.

Yeah, I got the price from playing with the build-a-car at the Tesla store a few days ago; it's an option like any other. I didn't know it was more expensive to activate post-purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As long as it's clearly shown as non-GAAP and the differences are clearly defined, what would the grounds be for a lawsuit?

Not a lawsuit over their account practices, a lawsuit over the results. GAAP means generally accepted because it tends to help avoid shady bookkeeping.

The way they report could also give the false impression of better performance than was realized, which could be another issue.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
Just got my Soul EV after 7 months on a waiting list.. This car is awesome, even in the frozen arctic where I live.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Model Xs are showing up in DC. There were two at Cars and Coffee last weekend, and earlier this week I got to drive one, briefly.

Too short to form a proper judgement but I think I prefer it to the Model S, at least from the perspective of the driver's seat. Not the biggest fan of the looks and the interior still needs work but that driving position and 756hp (or whatever) and no body roll is a winner.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Subjunctive posted:

Does anyone use stereo cameras for depth cues?

I believe that Subaru uses it for adaptive cruise control/automatic braking.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

drgitlin posted:

The ability to unlock it after the fact is actually genius. Even if it's a more price sensitive market that balks at paying for it upfront, you'll still get a ton of owners paying to enable it a year or two down the line.

Speaking of price sensitive markets, that could also be a great thing for people shopping for used cars.

When I was shopping for a Prius, only a small percentage of the ones I saw for sale had the adaptive cruise control (which I wanted very much). Being able to get any Prius from after a certain model year and have that feature added would have made things much easier.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This dump truck is fitted with 600 kWh (2.16 GJ) of batteries.

It “regeneratively” brakes downhill with a full load of rock then drives uphill on energy stored in the batteries.

Because the mine is at the top of a mountain, the truck is actually a net electricity producer.

BRB, registering the trademark “lithoelectric”.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So now I'm trying to figure out if you could make a business plan work by charging people a nominal fee to rent a "mass cart" at the top of a long high grade to give batteries a recharge boost as they go downhill. It would depend on how efficiently you could return them to the top. Maybe if it was next to a railroad...

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 18, 2016

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

bull3964 posted:

So now I'm trying to figure out if you could make a business plan work by charging people a nominal fee to rent a "mass cart" at the top of a long high grade to give batteries a recharge boost as they go downhill. It would depend on how efficiently you could return them to the top. Maybe if it was next to a railroad...

Pick up every hitchhiker.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

bull3964 posted:

Please don't accelerate the rotation of the earth, I don't get enough sleep as is. :argh:

Also cross posing my volt post in the ai/bfc thread, reasonable price?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&perpage=40&pagenumber=309#post457577944

blugu64 posted:

How will you be using the car?: 16 round trip commute (can plug in at home (L1) and work(L2 $1/hr)) and 3-4 cross country trips a year. (Before you think it, I don't want a leaf+rental car)

What aspects are most important to you? Getting a good deal. Domestic, NVH, and air conditioning also pluses.

Slightly abbreviated the op but I'm looking at a CPO 2013 Chevy Volt lease return, 23k miles. 225mpg lifetime, so all but about 4K~ miles have been on the battery if I did my math right. All options except sunroof and navi, spotless inside and out except for a little rash on one wheel, a scuffed airdamn skirt, and a touched up minor scratch on the rear bumper. No paint overspray, weird tire wear patterns, panel alignment issues, or leaky/weapy fluids. Asking 15k sticker, and 16.8k OTD, North Texas, cash deal, in budget. Got them down to 16.2k OTD, but how much better can I reasonably do? I'm in no rush as I've got a working car, but want a nice commuter.

Before you say Prius, I test drove one and the volt was in a different ballpark in regards to ride quality/noise/etc.

Edit: forgot the b2b warranty will run through 6/17 with the 12/12 GM CPO extended warranty.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I can't speak to the price, since I'm horrible with numbers, but the gen I Volt does have some weird HVAC idiosyncracies that might drive you up a wall if youre not mechanically inclined enough to understand what is going on.

There is no way to shut the AC completely off to save energy, except by turning the system (including the vent fan) completely off. Even then, it will occasionally start up and run anyway. (The AC evaporator is used to cool the battery coolant loop under some conditions.) This one is particularly annoying when the weather is nice enough to run with the windows down, except you cannot, because the Volt has AWFUL buffeting with any or all of the windows down, even at relatively low speeds. There's apparently a dealer-installed modification kit for the rear-view mirrors that solves this issue (picture of a modified mirror here,) but I don't have that kind of weather often enough to bother with it.

This issue causes particular consternation for me, because the window between the AC compressor running, and the heater turning on is RAZOR thin, only like 3°, and you cannot separately turn off the heater. That fucker will try to hold EXACTLY the temperature you set, and will crank the heat up if it goes under the setting, even if that setting is 82°. Speaking of the heater, but unlike the optional heat pump in the Leaf, in the Volt it's an electrical resistance unit, and therefore is horribly wasteful. Not an issue for me in south Florida, but I'm unfamiliar with the climate where you are. Using the heat can easily knock 5-10mi off the EV-only range. (I've only purposely used mine twice, so again, not exactly familiar.)

The biggest thing I can recommend to you is to not worry about the EV range, and just drive the damned thing. It's not an EV-only vehicle, and that's the BEST PART. Not having to worry about running out of charge, while still getting 90% of the commute benefits of an EV is awesome, but I find that quite a few Volt owners treat it like a full-EV, and will actually change plans to accommodate the Volt's limited EV-only range. That's dumb, and bad. Don't be that guy.

All of that said, mine has 46k on it with a 100mpg lifetime average, and has had zero non-routine maintenance items that weren't caused by my friend tripping on the charge cord in the dark. :v: It has thrown a code for the charge door a few times (they went to a manually-operated door in MY2014 because of that loving latch,) but you just put some more lithium grease on the release catch and its good for another year. It's a really great car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

bull3964 posted:

Find a stream or a spring up near the top, and fill up a 55-gallon drum with water. That's about 450 pounds of additional mass. Dump the water at the bottom. If you used some kind of cable car system to bring the drums back up, and powered that cable car with a waterwheel somewhere along the stream, it would cost you nothing other than installation, labor, and the occasional replacement of a drum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

Find a stream or a spring up near the top, and fill up a 55-gallon drum with water. That's about 450 pounds of additional mass. Dump the water at the bottom. If you used some kind of cable car system to bring the drums back up, and powered that cable car with a waterwheel somewhere along the stream, it would cost you nothing other than installation, labor, and the occasional replacement of a drum.

If only we could automate this process, maybe using a pipeline instead of barrels…

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

Please forward this idea to the producers of Mad Max 3: Fury Stream

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Platystemon posted:

If only we could automate this process, maybe using a pipeline instead of barrels…

Or imagine if you could somehow make the cars watertight, so they'd be buoyant, and maybe design them with a rounded bottom for good hydrodynamics and protection from impact and abrasion...then you could just, like, put the cars in the water and they'd be like, water-cars. and you could float them right down the river.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Model 3 launch is drawing nearer! So it's time for leaks and fakes.

This is an official pic by Tesla, so not a fake but just a teaser.

This is alleged to be a leaked picture:

http://www.hybridcars.com/is-this-the-tesla-model-3-model-y-or-a-hoax/

Not mutually exclusive shapes, so it could be real. Probably just a good photoshop. If it's not real, then it's certainly a good suggestion to Tesla. It's like an X when it was young and slim!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ola posted:

This is alleged to be a leaked picture:

http://www.hybridcars.com/is-this-the-tesla-model-3-model-y-or-a-hoax/

Not mutually exclusive shapes, so it could be real. Probably just a good photoshop. If it's not real, then it's certainly a good suggestion to Tesla. It's like an X when it was young and slim!

One of the car blogs had a good image showing how that's just a photoshop of a Model X press image. The most obvious thing to note is the shadow, which whoever shopped it forgot to shorten.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I would lol if that's what it looked like

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

At least some reservation details are confirmed, though I wonder if I'll be camping at the Tesla store on the night of the 30th...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I would lol if that's what it looked like
No way they do that super expensive giant windshield on a $35k mass production car.

I saw a supposed picture which looked like a smaller S, which I what I would expect.

Also, didn't someone here work at the gigafactory? If so send me a PM.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I tried to drive to it and look around, but they have a gate on the road. :(

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

wolrah posted:

One of the car blogs had a good image showing how that's just a photoshop of a Model X press image. The most obvious thing to note is the shadow, which whoever shopped it forgot to shorten.

Pretty sure the Model 3 won't have 21" wheels.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drgitlin posted:

Pretty sure the Model 3 won't have 21" wheels.

That would be hilarious. Some penny-farthing poo poo.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
What chargers are people getting for home?

Im getting the audi etron, and need to plug it in at home, outside.
My garage is filled with motorcycles and broken 70's cars, so I don't have much place to plug in the supplied charger.
Also, I have a car trailer in the driveway, so its not super convenient to drive up to the
My electrical panel is in the garage, so it won't cost too much to get a proper plug/circuit. I have one for my welder already, but its scabbed on and totally non-code/safe, so I don't want my wife to be always using it.

One option is to wall mount the charger on the garage wall, and then hope not to trip over the cable on the way to the front door.
Other option is to get a post charger in the garden beside the driveway.
Or get a really long extension cord and park on the other side.

Real answer is clean up all the redneck stuff in the yard, but that means I have to throw away my dreams of having time to work on cars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Do all electric cars charge on either side? Guessing not. Having seen a few different setups I think the ideal one is (assuming LEFT hand drive and the ability to charge on either rear side of the car) to have a charging station on the right side of the garage, then you can reverse in hop out and plug in on your way rearwards around the car to the garage door.

If you don't prefer reversing in to your garage then I hope god has mercy on your soul.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I think the charge ports are all over the board, like gas fillers in the 70's.
The Audi's is on the front grill.
The Volts is on the front fender.
Tesla is on the back.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I don't have a garage, so mine is mounted on the side of the house next to the driveway. I hope that helps?

Probably the only thing better on the Leaf than the Teslas is that the charge port is in the absolute best place, on the front nose of the car. It's very likely the Model 3 I plan on getting next will have it in a place similar to the Model S, which isn't as convenient imo, but at least it will have a goddamned "charge at X oclock when electricity is cheap" feature which I currently have to implement by walking outside at 10 PM and plugging it in my drat self :rant:

I also just bought the cheapest charger at home depot dot com, it was half the price of the others that didn't offer any features worth $500+ other than maybe a timer but I'd rather have $500 than not go outside for like, one minute at night.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I usually back into charging spots, but even when I don't it's not hard to take the extra 10 steps to reach the back port. Even on public chargers the reach has always been sufficient.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

So is anyone else taking the time out to preorder a Model 3 on the 31st at a Tesla location?

I hope not, that way I can be the first in line regular schlub who doesn't work for Tesla or own one :v:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Heh, most people are going to try ordering online, Good luck with that, enjoy your car in 2023.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Boten Anna posted:

So is anyone else taking the time out to preorder a Model 3 on the 31st at a Tesla location?

I hope not, that way I can be the first in line regular schlub who doesn't work for Tesla or own one :v:
Already took the morning off for it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am holding out for a dyson, it sweeps the driveway also.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I finished paying off my Prius this month, and I'm heading up to the NYC autoshow tomorrow to see and hopefully sit in an Arcimoto SRK. This can't end well...

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I think I'll wait for news on the hatchback/crossover version.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
The Arcimoto should be eligible for the federal tax credit, right? There's no limitation on getting the credit for a motorcycle? Do I understand it right: it's $2500 for the first 5 KWh of battery, and $417 per KWh of battery past that up to a max of $7500, meaning the 12KWh version would get $5419 and the 20KWh would get the full $7500?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

fordan posted:

The Arcimoto should be eligible for the federal tax credit, right? There's no limitation on getting the credit for a motorcycle? Do I understand it right: it's $2500 for the first 5 KWh of battery, and $417 per KWh of battery past that up to a max of $7500, meaning the 12KWh version would get $5419 and the 20KWh would get the full $7500?

It looks like there is a tax credit for motorcycles, but only for up to $2500:

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/12/21/electric-motorcycles-have-a-tax-credit-again/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A day and a bit away from the most important EV news this year! But the first pre-orders will open very shortly.

https://twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/715269494478753792

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I took tomorrow morning off... Should be fun.

Its 8:30PM PDT for the reveal event, right? Or 6:30? Can't remember.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Does anyone have any experience or general Tesla knowledge about how the batteries / operation handles in -20C to -30C (0 to -20F)?

The most extreme case would be the -30C example where it would be a to/from commute plus parked outside for 8 hours. It's extreme, but a possible occurrence for ~5 years of ownership in Minnesota...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ilkhan posted:

I took tomorrow morning off... Should be fun.

Its 8:30PM PDT for the reveal event, right? Or 6:30? Can't remember.

I'll be at the local Tesla store, like some kind of loving early adopting loser. I just hope I can get it knocked out in time to be at work.

• Locked thread