Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Let's play a game. Name a medical condition that isn't disqualifying for an aviation medical.

GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Heart problems people in their 50s get.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Sexlexia.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Affluenza

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Srsly though I'm a touch paranoid that I might get denied my medical because I did a bunch of hard riding on my bike over the weekend and chafed my dilz. If that happens I'm gonna be fuckin pissed.

EDIT: I need some silk undies or something.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
An erection lasting longer than four hours.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Essential tremors. A captain at our airline has hands that shake constantly unless he's holding something like the yoke or thrust levers. He can fly OK but watching him try to program the FMS is kind of painful.

Joke answer: Mental defect as evidenced by desire to become an airline pilot is not disqualifying.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

Let's play a game. Name a medical condition that isn't disqualifying for an aviation medical.

GO

Something something being in congress.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

EvilJoven posted:

Srsly though I'm a touch paranoid that I might get denied my medical because I did a bunch of hard riding on my bike over the weekend and chafed my dilz. If that happens I'm gonna be fuckin pissed.

EDIT: I need some silk undies or something.

Hard riding eh? Tell them to ease up before you have a dr appt.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Captain Apollo posted:

GO

Being a doctor.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Honestly, though, I can see why hernias are a legitimate thing you need to have checked and fixed before getting a class 1 medical. I didn't know I had one until HOLY gently caress WHAT IS THIS PAIN I THINK I'M GOING TO THROW UP happened, and I don't think you'd want to be flying a plane when that happened.

Everything seems minor until it isn't.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What do your CFI's charge per hour and how do you charge? Do you charge Hobbs time? Or for the CFI instructions here what do you charge?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

When I was an instructor I would charge hobbs + .5. The .5 coming from .3 prebrief and .2 debrief. I would adjust +/- for unusually long/short briefings.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
My school charges $59/hr for flight, $55/hr for ground time. I get about half of that. In Baltimore, MD.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

KodiakRS posted:

When I was an instructor I would charge hobbs + .5. The .5 coming from .3 prebrief and .2 debrief. I would adjust +/- for unusually long/short briefings.

This is what I do.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
This is probably a dumb horrible question, but I'll give it a shot.

Are there other countries I could go to, to obtain a commercial pilots license for cheaper? Or will everyone look at where I went to school and go NOPE

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EAB posted:

This is probably a dumb horrible question, but I'll give it a shot.

Are there other countries I could go to, to obtain a commercial pilots license for cheaper? Or will everyone look at where I went to school and go NOPE

The US is as cheap as it gets, why do you think we have so many Chinese and other foreign students here?

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I don't know, I just imagined you could obtain a commercial license for a lot less in like eastern europe or something. I guess not.

Am I looking to be spending around 70k after it's all said and done? Would that even cover the 1500 logged flight hours...

simble
May 11, 2004

Definitely not. That's why people get lovely flying jobs after their training.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

EAB posted:

Am I looking to be spending around 70k after it's all said and done? Would that even cover the 1500 logged flight hours...

70k will get you the bare minimum (~250) to get your CFI.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
70k is basically best case scenario minimums.

It's why if I go commercial I'll probably ask to work reduced hours but keep my day job.

I'm not doing that pilot in waiting bullshit, period. I hear if you're willing to do a bit of legwork you can get jobs with actual flight time at 200 hours so if you accept the 'throw bags and sweep floors for 6 months and maybe you'll get to fly' garbage you're doing yourself and everyone else a huge disservice.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

EAB posted:

Or will everyone look at where I went to school and go NOPE

A pilot certificate is a pilot certificate. It doesn't matter if you got yours at the Mom and Pop flight school down the road, or at "The Harvard of the skies." Having said that, there's probably a pretty convoluted process for transferring a foreign pilot cert into a U.S. one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

70k is basically best case scenario minimums.

It's why if I go commercial I'll probably ask to work reduced hours but keep my day job.

I'm not doing that pilot in waiting bullshit, period. I hear if you're willing to do a bit of legwork you can get jobs with actual flight time at 200 hours so if you accept the 'throw bags and sweep floors for 6 months and maybe you'll get to fly' garbage you're doing yourself and everyone else a huge disservice.

Yeah, in case someone didn't already know: gently caress Buffalo Airways and Ice Pilots NWT (and its producers) for glamorizing those cheap, abusive fucks. I'm glad they got their license suspended. I'm sure other operators do the same thing, but the fact that these assholes got a TV show doing it makes me extra angry about it.

My instructor got hired on with them and promptly told them to gently caress off when he found out "oh, you might get to fly a plane in a few months if you do a good job being an indentured servant."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Buffalo didn't even start the trend. Quite a few operations dangle that carrot in front of new pilots in order to retain them as a source of cheap exploitable labour.

"Work 60 hours a week worth of split shifts loading cargo and filling fuel tanks maybe next month you can get an hour in the right seat!"

No, gently caress that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EAB posted:

I don't know, I just imagined you could obtain a commercial license for a lot less in like eastern europe or something. I guess not.

South Florida is the seedy Eastern European country of pilot training. It's cheaper here, with more good weather days than anywhere else in the world.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My 135 woes are evolving. Had my first day off in a month today, and I made it all the way to 9am before getting an ASAP call out.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

70k will get you the bare minimum (~250) to get your CFI.

I spent far less than that. 10k for my private, 5k for instrument, probably 10-15k or so in random flights, tailwheel endorsement, and commercial training to get me to 250, and about 8k or so on CFI. Everything but my private was part 61 though, so basically all of my ground training was pretty much self study, if I hadn't studied as hard as I did on my own it'd have taken a lot more time and money. Shop around and don't get caught up in having to fly really nice/fancy planes, a clapped out $100/hr 172N works just fine for most training. I never paid more than $100-110/hr for a plane until I was wrapping up my commercial and CFI in an 182RG. Pilot mills generally cost a shitload more than just doing it on your own at a flying club or small school. The trade off being the mill will get you through faster, though you may not learn quite as much because you're being blasted with so much so quickly. Play your cards right, go in to it with a plan, shop around, and study study study.

e: Also look at doing a glider add on once you're to the post instrument, building time for commercial phase of training. It's vastly cheaper than renting a power plane. It's the only thing I wish I'd have done differently looking back on my training, I still want to do my glider add-on this summer once I wrap up AMEL/MEI.

MrYenko posted:

South Florida is the seedy Eastern European country of pilot training. It's cheaper here, with more good weather days than anywhere else in the world.
Phoenix as well. The amount of "english proficient" pilots around there is staggering.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 10, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

I spent far less than that. 10k for my private, 5k for instrument, probably 10-15k or so in random flights, tailwheel endorsement, and commercial training to get me to 250, and about 8k or so on CFI. Everything but my private was part 61 though, so basically all of my ground training was pretty much self study, if I hadn't studied as hard as I did on my own it'd have taken a lot more time and money. Shop around and don't get caught up in having to fly really nice/fancy planes, a clapped out $100/hr 172N works just fine for most training. I never paid more than $100-110/hr for a plane until I was wrapping up my commercial and CFI in an 182RG. Pilot mills generally cost a shitload more than just doing it on your own at a flying club or small school. The trade off being the mill will get you through faster, though you may not learn quite as much because you're being blasted with so much so quickly.

This is all extremely good advice. Finding a flying club that accepts students is also not a terrible idea. My club is $35/hr dry for a 172N, and instructors range from $20-40/hr. Renting dry is a little more complicated than wet, but you can actually save a bit of cash on your longer flights doing it that way.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

This is all extremely good advice. Finding a flying club that accepts students is also not a terrible idea. My club is $35/hr dry for a 172N, and instructors range from $20-40/hr. Renting dry is a little more complicated than wet, but you can actually save a bit of cash on your longer flights doing it that way.

God I wish more clubs rented dry and tach time. There'd actually be a reason to dial back the power and not set it to rental speed everywhere.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

e.pilot posted:

God I wish more clubs rented dry and tach time. There'd actually be a reason to dial back the power and not set it to rental speed everywhere.

Ya. We have 3 172Ns, two with STOL kits, and the third with extended range tanks, and a 182Q with a 285hp O-550 STC. The 182 is a BLAST.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

Good Lord

My club is 112 per hour wet (172P) and most instructors around here charge 40-50 per hour. Monthly dues 20 bucks with a 250 one time initiation fee

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would kill for those prices. Up here after taxes it's basically 200 an hour for anything with wings and an instructor beside you.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e.pilot posted:

I don't know. I wonder sometimes if some accidents that were attributed to fuel starvation due to someone running the tanks dry BECAUSE they had to pay for fuel (rather than a flat hourly rate). Plus fuel at our FBO is ~6.25 a gallon. We talked about going a dry rate but most of the pilots (old guys) felt like the general consensus was that people would be more likely to leave the tanks empty for 'fear' of someone else burning the 'unused' fuel they paid for.

As an aside, last meeting, our board was bitching about the planes not getting any hours - yet every single one of the old farts own at least one plane. The president owns two.

Tide fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 10, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Yeah, in case someone didn't already know: gently caress Buffalo Airways and Ice Pilots NWT (and its producers) for glamorizing those cheap, abusive fucks. I'm glad they got their license suspended. I'm sure other operators do the same thing, but the fact that these assholes got a TV show doing it makes me extra angry about it.

My instructor got hired on with them and promptly told them to gently caress off when he found out "oh, you might get to fly a plane in a few months if you do a good job being an indentured servant."

Why do/did they see as necessary being a flight attendant as a step on the ladder to becoming an F/O? I remember watching the series and it was basically "Well, once you get done loadin' bags in Hay River until we're good and ready to bring you over, you get to serve coffee so you're at least on the airplane there and then maybe you'll get to actually fly the plane on the sked, buddy.". Did they consider the F/A position as an observer?

It's one thing to hire on to fly, but it's another to have to load cargo for a while, then have to go through a F/A course you may only use for a short time before a) getting in the right seat or b) quitting and going elsewhere.

KodiakRS posted:

I didn't get the digit up my donut but I definitely had to turn my head and cough for my first one.

Weird. I've done four (three with the same AME, who's an ENT with a Citation type rating) and never had to drop 'em.

I did have an EKG the one time with the other AME, though.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 10, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tide posted:

I don't know. I wonder sometimes if some accidents that were attributed to fuel starvation due to someone running the tanks dry BECAUSE they had to pay for fuel (rather than a flat hourly rate). Plus fuel at our FBO is ~6.25 a gallon. We talked about going a dry rate but most of the pilots (old guys) felt like the general consensus was that people would be more likely to leave the tanks empty for 'fear' of someone else burning the 'unused' fuel they paid for.

As an aside, last meeting, our board was bitching about the planes not getting any hours - yet every single one of the old farts own at least one plane. The president owns two.

Our club policy is to leave the airplane full. If you go out and find one not full, fill it before you leave, and include that receipt, and the club will take it up with the prior pilot.

It does kind of suck for any kind of utility-use of the airplane, since you have to assume full tanks for pretty much all flights, unless you arrange something waaaaaay ahead of time.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

Our club policy is to leave the airplane full. If you go out and find one not full, fill it before you leave, and include that receipt, and the club will take it up with the prior pilot.

It does kind of suck for any kind of utility-use of the airplane, since you have to assume full tanks for pretty much all flights, unless you arrange something waaaaaay ahead of time.

My club's policy where I rent and teach is to always have full tanks as well, even though the planes rent wet. One more reason to get checked out in the 182 if you want to take more than one passenger.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Why do/did they see as necessary being a flight attendant as a step on the ladder to becoming an F/O? I remember watching the series and it was basically "Well, once you get done loadin' bags in Hay River until we're good and ready to bring you over, you get to serve coffee so you're at least on the airplane there and then maybe you'll get to actually fly the plane on the sked, buddy.". Did they consider the F/A position as an observer?

It's one thing to hire on to fly, but it's another to have to load cargo for a while, then have to go through a F/A course you may only use for a short time before a) getting in the right seat or b) quitting and going elsewhere.

Why was slavery popular among plantation owners?

Because finding people who want to do grunt work in North Buttfuck for minimal pay is really difficult unless you have one hell of a carrot to dangle in front of them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
loving hell I'd hate to deal with an outfit with a full tanks policy. Hell, I don't think I could fly with another adult beside me in a 152 if the tanks were full.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Rolo posted:

My 135 woes are evolving. Had my first day off in a month today, and I made it all the way to 9am before getting an ASAP call out.

Tell them you'll be ready in 10 hours because of your minimum required 135 rest. If they balk tell them gently caress you I'll find a better job in 24 hours because thats how we roll in 2016. To hell with scumbag 135 operators in this hiring environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

e.pilot posted:

I spent far less than that. 10k for my private, 5k for instrument, probably 10-15k or so in random flights, tailwheel endorsement, and commercial training to get me to 250, and about 8k or so on CFI. Everything but my private was part 61 though, so basically all of my ground training was pretty much self study, if I hadn't studied as hard as I did on my own it'd have taken a lot more time and money. Shop around and don't get caught up in having to fly really nice/fancy planes, a clapped out $100/hr 172N works just fine for most training. I never paid more than $100-110/hr for a plane until I was wrapping up my commercial and CFI in an 182RG. Pilot mills generally cost a shitload more than just doing it on your own at a flying club or small school. The trade off being the mill will get you through faster, though you may not learn quite as much because you're being blasted with so much so quickly. Play your cards right, go in to it with a plan, shop around, and study study study.

e: Also look at doing a glider add on once you're to the post instrument, building time for commercial phase of training. It's vastly cheaper than renting a power plane. It's the only thing I wish I'd have done differently looking back on my training, I still want to do my glider add-on this summer once I wrap up AMEL/MEI.

Phoenix as well. The amount of "english proficient" pilots around there is staggering.

This is great information. I started looking at glider rentals and theyre a lot cheaper than airplane rentals. Then I started looking to see how much gliders cost and I found a lot of motorized gliders for sale for under $10k. I don't know if theyre ancient or just death traps or both, but if you owned the drat thing and you didnt have to get it towed it seems like you could log those hours on the cheap. Good idea / Bad idea?

• Locked thread