Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Reason posted:

So I stole all the liquid yellorium from the jaded, set up a thing so I could put it into a smeltery and it won't come out as ingots or blocks so I'm stuck with a million buckets of yellorium in my smelter with nothing to use it on yay.

Well if you just want to get the poo poo out of there, you can pour it into seared tanks.

I think it's AOBD (Another Ore Bites the Dust?) that tries to add support for all these goofy metals. However, it seems to particularly screw up yellorium. I think the screwed up entering the values for it, and it eats two ore's worth of yellorium to make something close to an ingot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Clairetic posted:

Yay!

Well.

It should be entirely usable now.

Things that have been dropped:
-Anything UE-related
-half the IC2 support added by that one wonderful person (those features will still work through RF)
-slick-util/custom font thingy (it wasn't important anyway and with non-english localizations it gets to be more work than it's worth)

Things that don't yet work correctly but I still intend to fix:
-Sounds
-Shaders

Things that need doing for polish reasons:
-'Chisel' tool module (relatively trivial, doesn't require any interfaces, just a different harvest type - at least, that's what I'm told)
-More localization
-Configurable module costs
-IC2 radiation shielding
-Energy cache to reduce tick lag on highly populated servers
-JSON shapeless recipes (should I even bother? seems everyone is using Minetweaker these days)
-non-vanilla recipes that take into account the current state of progression in Thermal Expansion, IC2, Gregtech, etc.

Things that were fixed by other people that I only just yesterday pulled in (and patched up for interface stripping so they work when their mods aren't installed):
-Forestry support
-IC2 support

Things that I have fixed so far (I think) in my latest adderall-induced state of semi-competence:
-Brought Forge and NEI versions forward since they were conflicting with some stuff
-Powersuit items now flag as unbreakable; if they are still breaking then it's hopefully not my fault
-Powersuit Helmet now has its Optional Interfaces encapsulated in an InterfaceList, so hopefully any mods that depend on reflecting annotations will no longer die on it (Apparently OpenBlocks was having that issue?)
-Powersuit no longer shows a white cloth armor model when invisible
-Blocking and Smart Moving animate correctly
-Numina crashing on loading recipe files in an obfuscated environment

Korynkai's/QMX edits have been a great reference but I really can't pull them in indiscriminately. I wish contributors would make small, incisive pull requests addressing individual issues instead of mega dumps with unhelpful comments that ignore my design philosophy and make a lot of changes that don't affect functionality :( I was just as bad when I was just starting out but now that I know better, everyone else should too!

Wonderful wonderful wonderful.

My 2 cents:

Sounds were my favorite part of the mod. The purr of the jetpack followed by a satisfying click as the fall-protected boots hit the ground followed by the satisfying jumping sound as I take off again. I can't wait for sounds to be fixed again.
Second most important thing for me would be configurable module costs. There comes a point pretty quickly when I'm sitting on all the power I could ever need, and charging the jumpsuit at that point becomes a meaningless inconvenience. I'd rather set all the costs to zero and just not worry about it again.

Mod support I care about : TE (charging, wrench support), AE2 (wireless terminal and wrench support), Thaumcraft (goggles on helmet, maybe a thaumometer on the hand?), maybe Galacticraft (air helmet?)
Mod support I couldn't give a poo poo about : IC2 and Forestry.

Just my perspective on what features I'd like to see prioritized. Thank you so much for your work!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

President Ark posted:

Is that actually necessary? The thaumonomicon's picture shows it but doesn't actually say that as a requirement and it's not mentioned on the wiki.

No, it doesn't matter what blocks they're on. I've had them on grass, arcane stone, air, and botania stone before, and it all works. Arcane stone just matches the aesthetic.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

Is the other side of the eldritch obelisk just a void for anyone else?

I just went there and it was fine. Which obelisk did you use? I used the one near the teleport location named Obelisk Island. I expect the one with the pure node does not work, since it's supposed to be sinister.

Reason posted:

So I stole all the liquid yellorium from the jaded, set up a thing so I could put it into a smeltery and it won't come out as ingots or blocks so I'm stuck with a million buckets of yellorium in my smelter with nothing to use it on yay.

Serves you right for CHEATING. You're not supposed to collect any resources from the ship, except for things NPCs specifically give you.

Edit: On a side note, warp is really super duper dumb when you have all these Thaumcraft plugins that allow you to get far more permanent warp than vanilla Thaumcraft gives. My sanity bar is HALF FULL OF PERMANENT WARP and I haven't even completed all the forbidden knowledge research yet. There should be a cap on permanent warp or something.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 27, 2015

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

McFrugal posted:

Edit: On a side note, warp is really super duper dumb when you have all these Thaumcraft plugins that allow you to get far more permanent warp than vanilla Thaumcraft gives. My sanity bar is HALF FULL OF PERMANENT WARP and I haven't even completed all the forbidden knowledge research yet. There should be a cap on permanent warp or something.

It's kind of cool in multiplayer because it gives people an incentive to specialize in one or two branches and leave the other branches unexplored so that they can spread the warp more thinly. But that doesn't work as well when the tech tree isn't obvious so you don't know what you actually have to unlock to make sure you have access to everything in your end of the tree, or when you're playing single player.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Serves you right for CHEATING.

"You are our last great hope! But we won't give you guns, armor, or even pants. Bring back 50 bear asses for a credit, and for 20 credits we will give you whatever we feel like giving you. Oh, and be sure to die in a humorious fashion so the people on the homeworld watching reality TV will be amused. But if you die too often we will just push the remote killswitch on your brain."

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I just went there and it was fine. Which obelisk did you use? I used the one near the teleport location named Obelisk Island. I expect the one with the pure node does not work, since it's supposed to be sinister.

Serves you right for CHEATING. You're not supposed to collect any resources from the ship, except for things NPCs specifically give you.

Join the cheaters, use server commands to set your warp to zero. Permanent warp is a bad mechanic anyway. All warp should be sticky, at worst (sticky is stuff you clean off with sanitizing soap and arcane spas, temp falls off on its own). I'd be really interested in a thaumcraft addon that changes all permanent warp to sticky warp

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Magres posted:

Join the cheaters, use server commands to set your warp to zero. Permanent warp is a bad mechanic anyway. All warp should be sticky, at worst (sticky is stuff you clean off with sanitizing soap and arcane spas, temp falls off on its own). I'd be really interested in a thaumcraft addon that changes all permanent warp to sticky warp

I'd be okay with that if you then also got sticky warp from producing any warp related items, such as lodestones, advanced golems etc.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Cantorsdust posted:

Wonderful wonderful wonderful.

My 2 cents:

Sounds were my favorite part of the mod. The purr of the jetpack followed by a satisfying click as the fall-protected boots hit the ground followed by the satisfying jumping sound as I take off again. I can't wait for sounds to be fixed again.
Aaaand, done!

Cantorsdust posted:

Second most important thing for me would be configurable module costs. There comes a point pretty quickly when I'm sitting on all the power I could ever need, and charging the jumpsuit at that point becomes a meaningless inconvenience. I'd rather set all the costs to zero and just not worry about it again.
I think this is technically already configurable, although it's a bit fiddly. In powersuits.cfg, you can change the base energy consumption and how it scales with each 'tradeoff' bar.

Cantorsdust posted:

Mod support I care about : TE (charging, wrench support), AE2 (wireless terminal and wrench support), Thaumcraft (goggles on helmet, maybe a thaumometer on the hand?), maybe Galacticraft (air helmet?)
Mod support I couldn't give a poo poo about : IC2 and Forestry.

Just my perspective on what features I'd like to see prioritized. Thank you so much for your work!
Well, I'm less reluctant now that it's been like a year since any of those have updated, so hopefully it won't be too much headache.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Clairetic, I'm glad you're doing things again (and have never stopped doing things!) and I am glad to consider you a friend who I talk with sometimes when my brain dictates it's a good idea to share pictures of otter artwork wherein the otters are cat mermaids.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Reason posted:

Cheaters never prosper.

Joking aside, I did some digging and it appears you need the Thermal Smeltery mod installed to allow yellorium blocks/ingots from the smeltery. Since a config option for that mod is "B:"Allow Yellorium to be casted into the casting table/basin."=true". So if you really want to use that, you can install that mod.

I just copied the ThermalSmeltery.jar and cfg files over from my OMPi install and it works. You will need 1000mB of yellorium per ingot though and I don't know how to fix that.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
There's at least 30 barrels in the fuel storage so that isn't as big an issue.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Why would you pump out the fuel as liquid anyway? Isn't there a button on the fuel port to spit it out as ingots?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It's not in the reactor itself (and actually the reactor on the ship is inert!), there's a bit of an easter egg on the ship if you don't mind mining your way through a door.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I saw it mentioned for centivis that a node with humanus would work well because it has all aspects. Where is ignis in the chain that leads up to it? I tried to draw it out and couldn't find it. Or is that justification just wrong?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ignis is a subcomponent of Cognitio.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

It's not in the reactor itself (and actually the reactor on the ship is inert!), there's a bit of an easter egg on the ship if you don't mind mining your way through a door.

another little thing i found was, Magenta/L Gray/Cyan Set it up as a ender chest color, the pipes in the ship are being fed from an ender chest with that color - i guess its piping out into the same color chest so an endless loop of items but it looks like quite a bit of nice stuff in there

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

TheresaJayne posted:

another little thing i found was, Magenta/L Gray/Cyan Set it up as a ender chest color, the pipes in the ship are being fed from an ender chest with that color - i guess its piping out into the same color chest so an endless loop of items but it looks like quite a bit of nice stuff in there

You could just mine the pipes and open the chests. I took both so i could raid villages a bit easier.

Recently in Agrarian Skies 2, I realized that ME storage systems can directly interface with Drawer Controllers from Storage Drawers. It's not nearly as space efficient as a drive and not quite as deep (4 stacks per item in a 4x4), but a 4x4 cube of 4x4 drawers can do in a pinch for various odds and ends and it only costs wood. And since the controller covers all connected drawers with a range of 12 blocks, well, that's over 400 drives worth of stuff if you just made a huge ball of drawers with a controller slave on the outside. :psyduck:

I think I know what I'm doing when I get home from work.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mzbundifund posted:

Ignis is a subcomponent of Cognitio.
Was this a tweak at some point? I was using some online guide, and had noticed some aspect conversions were off. I did not write it out from the Thaumonomicon.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Kraven Moorhed posted:

You could just mine the pipes and open the chests. I took both so i could raid villages a bit easier.

Recently in Agrarian Skies 2, I realized that ME storage systems can directly interface with Drawer Controllers from Storage Drawers. It's not nearly as space efficient as a drive and not quite as deep (4 stacks per item in a 4x4), but a 4x4 cube of 4x4 drawers can do in a pinch for various odds and ends and it only costs wood. And since the controller covers all connected drawers with a range of 12 blocks, well, that's over 400 drives worth of stuff if you just made a huge ball of drawers with a controller slave on the outside. :psyduck:

I think I know what I'm doing when I get home from work.

Is that the mod with the "compacting drawers" that will let you expose one mass of (e.g.) iron ingots as nuggets, ingots, and blocks all at once to the AE system?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Was this a tweak at some point? I was using some online guide, and had noticed some aspect conversions were off. I did not write it out from the Thaumonomicon.

I was using http://www.noxftb.com/mobile/forum/viewthread/m/10900793/id/15445068-thaumcraft-40-list-aspects-how-to-research-get (it's a year old) and it lists cognito as terra + spiritus so yeah maybe

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Okay, I fixed my little problem with removing EnderStorage, logging in, removing the weapon rack that had my stuff, then readding EnderStorage.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Do energized nodes eat nearby nodes or something? I did the transducing in the second floor of my house and later when I checked outside it looks like someone had taken a big bite out of one of the silverwood trees I'd planted that had a node in it. :stare:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Maybe it turned into a Hungry Node or something yeah, betta watch out! Those are the worst and will keep eating more poo poo and getting bigger.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A friend dragged me into Tekkit recently, eventually we also tried out Hexxit - I kinda liked both, but how does Blightfall compare? I saw a post about the Thaumcraft mod in the other thread it seemed pretty neat.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

A friend dragged me into Tekkit recently, eventually we also tried out Hexxit - I kinda liked both, but how does Blightfall compare? I saw a post about the Thaumcraft mod in the other thread it seemed pretty neat.

It's a great pack for gameplay. The custom map with handmade touches is great for exploring, and the HQM book gives a good sense of progression and story. The tainted map also solves my main Minecraft problem--figuring out what to do with myself after I've automated my production chains and reached a state of post-scarcity.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Less dense Points of Interest but the map is handcrafted. There's a greater goal focus with the HQM quest system in place but the early game can be brutal if you aren't used to modded minecraft. Once you're on your feet the focus is heavily on Thaumcraft to ease you into the other magic/tech systems. And then it's basically you're at the mercy of your own mind of what to do next.

I like going on cleaning/killing sprees into the mostly crusted over jungle. :getin:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Blightfall is more survival oriented and also gates a lot of tech and magic behind other stuff in order to make it more difficult ( and so arguably more interesting ). If you're the type of person that doesn't mind dealing with somewhat arbitrary restrictions (there's story reasons for it tho), it can be very rewarding to play.
It uses a questbook and reputation with 'the mothership' to guide you along and works pretty well in that regard.

The pack really rewards exploration of the custom map and making the most of materials that you manage to scrape together.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Has anyone else been crushed to death by the elevators on the Jaded or am I just really unlucky?

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Hey, all - I'm playing Blightcraft and dealing with a lot of these mods for the first time. I usually play Technic, so I'm used to all of the machinery mods, but the tinker mod and the magic mod are brand new to me.

I'm finding the tutorials in the game very helpful, but I'm a little overwhelmed by skimming through the last few pages and seeing exactly how huge Thaumcraft is and how little I know. Is there a good place for an overview of Thaumcraft and basic pointers, or at least some "please don't" tips you can give me?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Magres did a big ol' Thaumcraft primer in this thread a week or so back, so give it a scan.

Where exactly are you in the Thaumcraft progression? Do you have a Thaumonomicon? Make yourself an iron-capped wooden wand from the NEI recipe and right-click a bookshelf. The Thaumonomicon is your starting point. From there you need to make yourself a thaumometer and a research table (how to do this is in the Thaumonomicon on the first tab), and start unlocking cool stuff, starting with the improved and advanced research abilities.

I'd start by going for a gold-capped greatwood wand, a gold-capped greatwood scepter, nodes-in-jars, and energized nodes. If you have some specific questions, bang 'em out. Blightfall is big in this thread right now, so the thread is full of Thaumcraft experts.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'd make a Baby's First Magic Spell if I knew anything about the magic mods. I am starting to see how Thaumcraft works but I don't know enough to do a "So here's the deal" kind of runoff.

Now with Botania, I am even worse. It is all "Motherfucking flowers! How do they work?"

Node hunting really does come off as a giant pain in the rear end. I spent my play time yesterday just charging a wand so I cam bottle a node. I have not even actually bottled the node. Beyond that, one needs shards. So the early game is really lousy because one has to both roam and dig.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Node hunting sucks as bad as meteor hunting for AE. Beeline straight for energized nodes and never look back. There's a chufty Fabrico node hanging out over the southern ocean, underneath the big inverted-cone-shaped flying island thing. Make a boat, grab that sucker and never node hunt again.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Has anyone else been crushed to death by the elevators on the Jaded or am I just really unlucky?

I have as well. I think it was going up to deck A?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'd make a Baby's First Magic Spell if I knew anything about the magic mods. I am starting to see how Thaumcraft works but I don't know enough to do a "So here's the deal" kind of runoff.

Now with Botania, I am even worse. It is all "Motherfucking flowers! How do they work?"

Node hunting really does come off as a giant pain in the rear end. I spent my play time yesterday just charging a wand so I cam bottle a node. I have not even actually bottled the node. Beyond that, one needs shards. So the early game is really lousy because one has to both roam and dig.

Thankfully Botania is a lot less complex and "gently caress you" than Thaumcraft and the book explains everything really clearly. It still takes a little bit to get it all but it's much better than Thaumcraft.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

It happened to me :( Since then I've tried to stay very very still while the elevator is in motion. I don't know if that helps or I've been lucky, but I haven't died since.

Eschers Basement posted:

Hey, all - I'm playing Blightcraft and dealing with a lot of these mods for the first time. I usually play Technic, so I'm used to all of the machinery mods, but the tinker mod and the magic mod are brand new to me.

I'm finding the tutorials in the game very helpful, but I'm a little overwhelmed by skimming through the last few pages and seeing exactly how huge Thaumcraft is and how little I know. Is there a good place for an overview of Thaumcraft and basic pointers, or at least some "please don't" tips you can give me?

The basics:

- You make a thaumonomicon by right clicking a bookshelf with a wand.
- You make a thaumometer using the recipe in the quest book.
- There's information in there about how to make arcane workbenches, scribing tools, and then a research table.

What you want to do before you start out is run around scanning things with the thaumometer to unlock all the different aspects & grab research points you can use in your research. This can get tricky because the aspects aren't a list so much as a tree. There are 6 primal aspects that you start out knowing about, and all other aspects are combinations of two other aspects. So like Lux (found in torches) is a combination of Ignis & Aer. Humanus, found in people, is a combination of Cognito & Bestia, which are themselves combinations of other aspects. So the tricky part about scanning thing is that if a thing you want to scan has an aspect you haven't discovered yet, you have to have discovered both of its "parent" aspects. If you have, you'll discover the new aspect when you scan it. If you haven't, you can't scan it until you do.

That said, it's really obnoxious to start out because there are a few Tier 1 aspects (aspects made with primals only, used heavily by the higher-tier aspects) that never seem to appear by themselves, so half the poo poo in you base will be like, "You need to discover the origins of life." The good news is that if you go over to the research workbench, you can manually combine aspects to discover new aspects. The bad news is that if you combine them wrong you'll lose the aspects you tried to combine, which is dumb.

So combine Aqua & Terra to make Victus, and Victus and Perditio to make Mortuus. If you're having a hard time figuring anything else out, check this: http://ftbwiki.org/List_of_Aspects_(Thaumcraft_4.2)

Scan the crap out of everything, because not only is having scanned things going to increase your quality of life later when you're asking yourself "wait, what has perditio in it?" but everything you scan for the first time gives you research points you need for the research game. If you have scanned everything you can think of but are still having a tough time getting research points of a particular type, remember that you can combine aspects in the research table to get the compound aspects you need. If you're short on the primals you need for that, then it's time to scan aura nodes.

Aura nodes are basically everywhere and are really easy to find on the water. Take a boat trip along the coast of the map with a thaumometer out (or goggles of revealing if you got 'em) to spot nodes. Scanning them with a thaumometer gives you a crapton of research points. It also adds that node to your list when you press 0 allowing you to find it again later when you need a node with a particular vis type to refill your wand.

Once you have your research points, there's two types of research you can unlock in the thaumonomicon. The first is the square nodes that are blinking. For those, you click on them while you have a piece of paper & scribing tools in your inventory, and you produce a "research note". You put the scribing tools and research note into the research table, and play the research minigame in order to unlock the stuff. The second type is the hexagonal blinking nodes. For those you just click those while you have the right amount of research points to unlock the stuff.

The way the minigame works is this: all research has 2-4 aspects that it is keyed too and a difficulty level. When you plug the research note into the table, it creates a hexagonal field and the keyed aspects are around the outside border. Sometimes the field is just a bunch of hexagons, sometimes some hexagons are missing which complicates things a tiny, tiny bit.

Your goal in the research game is to build a path across the field that connects all the research aspects, by placing research points into the hexagonal spots. Two research points connect up if one aspect is a "parent" of the other. That is, I mentioned earlier that Lux is a combination of Aer and Ignis. That means that Aer and Lux will connect, and Ignis and Lux will connect, but not Aer and Ignis. Once your path connects all 2-4 of the research's keyed aspects, the research note turns into a completed research and you can pull it into your inventory and right click to unlock access to the research in your thaumonomicon.

The research game is not actually difficult, but being bad at it means you're going to spend a lot more research points than other people to unlock the same stuff. When you get really tired of it, you can use http://ythri.github.io/tcresearch/ to get a computer to do the research game for you, or you can use the cheat area on the Jaded to instantly grab all thaumcraft research.

Earlier I mentioned you'd need vis for wands from nodes in the world. All table crafting (that is, not alchemy or infusion) takes place at a arcane workbench and requires a wand with the right amount of vis in it. Many medium level recipes require more than the 25 vis that your starter wand has. Getting access to a higher vis cap & then reliable vis without leaving the base are your first two goals in thaumcraft and there's some good tutorials already written about how to do that in this topic. You can click the ? under Magres's name and head to page 3. He wrote some good starter stuff about where to go from here and he also quoted someone else who gave some good advice about how to set up Centivis, which is your reliable in-base vis.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The FTB Botania mod is basically Baby's First Flower Magic.

Thaumcraft nodes are WAY more pleasant to deal with in a not blighted world. They're still mildly inconvenient and getting centivis going is nice, but it's not "thaum sucks horribly until you get this done" the way it is in Blightfall. Especially if you have hang gliders and a good jetpacks mod (ic2 and simply jetpacks both fit the bill), jet gliding around makes it trivial to catalogue and access tons of nodes. My first brush with Thaum was in FTB Infinity, where we had jetpacks and gliders, and we didn't even bother with centivis for a long time because it was fun to zoom around draining nodes.

E: Also if you want to do Baby's First Magic Spell I'd be happy to help as best I can. I know nothing about modding but I could help come up with a quests layout - I'm pretty familiar with the big three magic mods (blood magic, thaumcraft, and botania). I don't know witchery beyond the absolute barest bones basics, but give me a week in creative mode and I can sort it out

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 27, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh, also, something I had a hard time wrapping my head around (although I'm, like, UNUSUALLY dumb):

There are three things that have aspects:

Research Points
- Comes in all aspects
- Comes from scanning things, combining at the research table, and breaking down stuff at the deconstruction table
- Used to pay for new research

Vis
- Comes MAINLY in primal aspects. It very rarely comes in compound aspects, but you can't use compound vis and it's not really useful unless you energize the node to break it down into primals.
- Comes from nodes
- Used to charge up wands, scepters, and staves for crafting & rad powers
- It's also a power system for some in-base stuff. Like some base structures require vis power provided by a centivis system.

Essentia
- Comes in all aspects
- Comes from breaking down stuff in a crucible or arcane furnace.
- Used for alchemy recipes & big jars of it are used for infusion.

Now, when you first scan a node the vis it provides is given to you in the form of research points, and when you first scan an item/block, the essentia it provides when broken down is given to you in the form of research points.

THIS IS THE ONLY INTERACTION THESE THREE SYSTEMS HAVE. They have nothing to do with each other otherwise. I got real confused the first time I found some essentia at a POI and was trying to figure out how to pipe it into my research table? I looked real dumb. Don't look dumb like me.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have anything good to say about galacticraft? I played through babys first space race and it was fun to work up to a rocket and flying to the moon and then the minecraft moon was just a super boring nothing almost and I was a little disappointed. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

botania is genuinely really incredibly easy to get into and most of it revolves around linking things to other things with your wand. if i remember right, there's a page in the book specifically dedicated to letting you know the basics that you'll need to make, and from there it's just messing around with different flowers/spreaders/whatever.