Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I kidnapped that JoJo baby from YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ascalapha odorata posted:

It is, I was going to get a couple more figures instead but figured I'd just wait and see with those since the ones I want most next is a part 4 trio (rohan/josuke/okuyasu and okuyasu is like $100 just on his own right now).

Otherwise my collection's basically the same that anyone else would have cuz there's a finite number of official things you can get in the US, but I'll post a couple of the fan things I have (not the full collection because it's honestly fuckin shameful)

I'm mainly showing that so you see what redbubble stickers look like if you care, those are the white ones on the bottom. The top ones are by like t-raps/traps shop or whatever on storenvy and I like them a lot. They were pretty cheap, too? I can dig up the link if someone wants it.

I have more Jojo art than that up but those two are definitely my favorites, I just have them up so high on the wall that it's tough to photograph them well. The left one's a redbubble print; it should be matted but I'm lazy.

On a non collectible wank note, I just fell for the same "part four announcement" joke post elsewhere that I fell for already once before. Hurry up September 30

Whoa

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

That better not be a derisive whoa :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VmD0hjQFhs

So navigating it is a mess and what I was a little more worried about is true: the subtitles you saw on crunchyroll aren't there for the Japanese language version so it's a different deal. So if you're getting it you're getting it solely for the dub/to support Jojo I guess.

I'll still hang in there with the preorder because I prefer subs but won't mind a dub of this even if I cannot stand whoever they picked for Kars. They did it. They found a way to de-sexify Kars

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 17, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moltrey posted:

I don't wanna post lovely phone pics in this thread like I have before, but I have a Statue Legend Crazy Diamond (not poseable where I believe Aurain's is) guarding my copies of JoJonium and it's really cool.

I also really wanna get JoJoveller but yikes that's expensive.

Yeah, the Statue Legend is a different series to Super Action Statue. The easel you have the Rohan book is pretty genius too.

I need to stop being poor so I can get more JoJo things already.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wtf, why is this DVD so bad? Like, I'm actually confused why it's this poorly put together. If it were just menu problems fine, but you can't continuously watch it and the subs are just dub subtitles? I'll just wait for a potential blu-ray I guess.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's wrong with dub subtitles?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's nothing wrong with dub subtitles, but changing around dialogue so it fits English sentence structure for someone to speak and accommodating for lip flaps make it so the dub script and a translated script turn out very differently. So it helps to have English subtitles with a different script in general to accommodate for the change in language. Most home releases don't come with dub subtitles unfortunately and as nice as it is to have them on here, it does not change that there should still be separate subtitles for the Japanese track.

At the end of the day, the dub is going to convey what the Japanese track does come hell or high water, but it has to make accommodations for that while subtitled dialogue does not.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder if they're not allowed to use the Crunchy Roll subtitles for the DVD because obviously, there's an officially available version of PB/BT with subs that are translations of the Japanese.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sometimes the dub and the sub are completely different too. I doubt JoJo's will have that problem, but it's pretty amusing when it happens. Some friends and I watched the dub of the CGI "Captain Harlock" movie on Netflix one day while the subtitles were on and the difference in content was pretty astounding. I thought dubs that badly re-written had gone away, but I guess not.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Never underestimate the ability of people to be lazy and half assed.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Sometimes the dub and the sub are completely different too. I doubt JoJo's will have that problem, but it's pretty amusing when it happens. Some friends and I watched the dub of the CGI "Captain Harlock" movie on Netflix one day while the subtitles were on and the difference in content was pretty astounding. I thought dubs that badly re-written had gone away, but I guess not.

I have no idea what happened in that movie either way

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Just finished reading part 6, here are some unsolicited Jojo thoughts (spoilered in case anyone in this thread cares):

This was much better than part 5, I'm sure someone who is better at analysing comics than I could give you more coherent reasons, but when some bullshit thing happened in part 5 it was generally confusing and didn't add much to what was going on, whereas when some similarly bullshit thing happened in part 6 my response was generally "Haha, yes!".

Stand powers were generally more interesting, and more consistently applied. I'm not sure the final boss needed two stand upgrades; the gravity power would have been a fun fight that wasn't yet another time trick. (But I guess they wanted that retcon).

Characters: Jojo VI is a Good Jojo and the rest of the "team" were just zany enough to make it work. Having an autonomous stand as an actual character was cool (FF should have survived, drat it - I guess she never existed in the new timeline) as was letting the Speedwagon analogue kill the main villain.

Working hypothesis: the Star Trek movie rule applies - even numbered Jojos are the best Jojos

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Dzhay posted:

Working hypothesis: the Star Trek movie rule applies - even numbered Jojos are the best Jojos

Even-numbered ones are always good but the best one is an odd one. The one you should start reading. Steel Ball Run is the best.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will also share my love Steel Ball Run. Not finished it yet but its very good.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

P.S. Jotaro seems to look younger every time we see him. Isn't he about 40 by part 6?

Was Jolyne spelling her surname "Cujoh" something the translators added?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's how her name is spelled officially, most likely because she's American compared to Jotaro.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Dzhay posted:

(FF should have survived, drat it - I guess she never existed in the new timeline)

I like to believe that Not-Jotaro has a jar full of plankton to give Irene as a wedding gift. :unsmith:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Can't wait for steel ball run to get animated in 20 years and then they can use "carry on wayward son" for the credits

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

They'd better use Roundabout for the episode where Tusk becomes Act 4. :colbert:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Quoting from the other jojo thread

Xibanya posted:

That has me thinking, following the backstory of Deadpool, could cancer be a serious issue for Crazy Diamond? Yikes.

hahaha when she sees the nijimura brothers' dad

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

Quoting from the other jojo thread

hahaha when she sees the nijimura brothers' dad

Hahahahahhahaha I HAD THE SAME THOUGHT. I wasn't sure if she was actually reading it for the first time or just adopting that conceit as it was easier to write about/share with others in that way until she recently mentioned where she left off on her first attempt. Lots of things she's said previously are things where I thought "that's a cute stealth way of hinting at X thing that happens later" or "hah that thing she casually dropped is reminiscent of this other thing."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder how many of Part 3's villains end up becoming like the Nijimura Brothers' dad. :ohdear:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It will be funny when she gets to the chapter where the "dark foil" to josuke gets really fuckin excited about some free binoculars

and also the entirety of the italian restaurant

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

okuyasu is precious

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wonder how many of Part 3's villains end up becoming like the Nijimura Brothers' dad. :ohdear:

Holy poo poo, I never even considered that. Goddamn. I can't remember how many actually end up dead vs 'retired' or whatever.

FirstAidKite posted:

It will be funny when she gets to the chapter where the "dark foil" to josuke gets really fuckin excited about some free binoculars

and also the entirety of the italian restaurant

I think our fawning over Okuyasu has tipped her off to the fact that there's more to that goofball than meets the eye.

Actually is it really in character that her libertarian-joke dude is the fiscally responsible sort who puts money away into savings after a sudden windfall? Maybe that part is so she won't be surprised.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Punching spaghetti, turning Enigma Boy into a book, everything about Rohan, the entirety of Highway Star, RPS Kid...

Oh man, I need to re-read Part 4. I can think of, like, twenty things off the top of my head that would be really great to show someone just going into it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There's a lot to love about Part 4.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe it used to be my least favorite part.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Holy poo poo, I never even considered that. Goddamn. I can't remember how many actually end up dead vs 'retired' or whatever.
Leaving aside people Joseph took pains to de-work, let's see... ZZ had at least a shot at surviving, Arabia Fats might have been left alone, Mannish Boy was only psychologically harmed by Kakyoin's treacherous feeding, Midler just had all her teeth busted up, Mariah had her various long bones broken, Oingo I think was just hospitalized really hard, Boingo just got owned real hard, Hol Horse, both the D'Arby's were alive if psychologically destroyed...

Dio didn't seem to put the flesh bud into most of these assholes though. I'm guessing he only did it with people who weren't already evil assholes, and other than maybe Boingo, that describes pretty much every enemy the Crusaders run into.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Sometimes I find it hard to believe it used to be my least favorite part.

Incredible

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Confirmed Dead
Gray Fly, Devo the Cursed, J. Geil, Enya Geil, N'Dour, Petshop, Vanilla Ice

Probably Dead
Captain Tennille, Forever, Nena

Possibly Dead (if left undisturbed)
ZZ, Arabia Fats

Beaten Into a Bloody Pulp
Rubber Soul, Steely Dan, Alessi, Terence T. D'Arby

Severely Mangled (but confirmed alive)
Midler, Mariah

Badly Injured
Cameo, Hol Horse, Oingo, Boingo, Kenny G.

Largely Uninjured but Psychologically Traumatized
Daniel J. D'Arby

Forced to Eat Poop
Mannish Boy

Trapped Forever
Anubis

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I mean, if he put a flesh bud in Enya I feel like there's probably no rule in terms of who'd be given it otherwise, except I can't imagine even he would stoop so low as to do it to Mannish Boy. I can't imagine he'd have NEEDED to.

I'd reckon anyone closer to him probably had it as a safety mechanism and I'm just going to pray that Alessi had it, too, just because I want to think of Alessi suffering a whole hell of a lot. I feel like the D'arby bros had it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I was 19 at the time and a fairly recent convert to the world of anime and manga. One of the things that drew me to this world was the idea of stories that actually went somewhere with arcs and changes to the status quo (as opposed to the relative stagnancy of American cape comics), so Part 4's episodic pacing immediately rubbed me the wrong way. There was also the fact that all we had to work with was Duwang, which - Stockholm Syndrome aside - was pretty terrible.

In the interim between then and now I've changed a lot as a person, including my tastes. I've become someone who can better appreciate the journey, the distractions. Rereading Part 4 now with the new translation, I think it's quite special. I still prefer Part 3 (and Part 7), but the margin between the two is thin.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I mean, if he put a flesh bud in Enya I feel like there's probably no rule in terms of who'd be given it otherwise, except I can't imagine even he would stoop so low as to do it to Mannish Boy. I can't imagine he'd have NEEDED to.

I'd reckon anyone closer to him probably had it as a safety mechanism and I'm just going to pray that Alessi had it, too, just because I want to think of Alessi suffering a whole hell of a lot. I feel like the D'arby bros had it.
He gave Dan of Steel that bud to put into Enya, I thought, as a way to kill her. I mean he put another one into Joseph. Most of these guys were scumbags and presumably had a history of using their Stands for crimes and assassinations.

I assume Forever was to answer the question "can a monkey fight a man?"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'd reckon anyone closer to him probably had it as a safety mechanism and I'm just going to pray that Alessi had it, too, just because I want to think of Alessi suffering a whole hell of a lot.
In the original Japanese it's stated that Alessi was "Punched into oblivion." They don't call a spade a spade, but I'm pretty sure he's dead.

Honestly, I think Rubber Soul and Steely Dan are probably dead as well.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Nessus posted:

He gave Dan of Steel that bud to put into Enya, I thought, as a way to kill her.
Wow my memory is garbage. Oops.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

New EoH trailer (the Rohan talking kind) with TONIO TRUSSARDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvKQ4EbMPU8

e:
Rohan on the motorcycle, any flying character, DIO and Dio and DIO and Giorno tag teams are extremely cool and I'm sad the game won't be nearly as good as it ought to be to make the most of this cool stuff. Also Josuke/Okuyasu DORARARARARA'ing people as a team attack. :3:

Weather turning people into snails is a thing too and I love it.

YES

15 seconds or so of team attack commericial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz0AqQXmpjo

Seems like the story is DIO/Pucci resurrecting dead goodies or something?

JoJolion spoilers are also out but I've not seen any easy to read so w/e
here's the usual place
http://araki100p.web.fc2.com/jojolion047.html

25 pages only, apparently.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 20, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This game is actually more appealing to me now that all this new character team attack stuff is in it on top of a new story mode and a bunch of other cool stuff. I mean it still doesn't look good, but if it goes on sale in America and at some point drops to 30 bucks I may consider giving it a look.

Oh and the fact that it has, loving PART 4 JOTARO. How the hell did ASB never have that one thing for all of the loving costumes it had?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It probably still doesn't have part 6 Jotaro though, even though it's just literally a recolour, just like the part 4 one is.

I love that both Kiras have a team-up too. I wish it played better to make it worth buying too but I'm feeling it more now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah, Part 4 Jotaro has different accessories and Part 6 has the snake skin leather pants. But yeah, I'm happy there are different pair-ups than just general obvious pairings. Like the fact that Dio and Giorno, both Dios, and Jotaro and Jolyne have their own is cool and makes me wonder how far they went with giving teams unique combos. It's probably not a lot, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There is some footage of the Speedwagon/Jonathan one, and it's basically just Speedwagon and his goons running at Jotaro and then Jonathan does his Sunlight Yellow Overdrive. I'll try and find it and then edit it in.

e: https://jii.moe/VynzsSvA.mp4