Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Gin_Rummy posted:

This may be a stupid question at this point, but is Stannis 100% for-sure dead? We never saw the actual act of killing, nor did we see a body. I know Stephen Dillane wasn't credited in this episode, but does that mean he is out for the whole season/show now?

He warged into Podrick before he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Gin_Rummy posted:

This may be a stupid question at this point, but is Stannis 100% for-sure dead? We never saw the actual act of killing, nor did we see a body. I know Stephen Dillane wasn't credited in this episode, but does that mean he is out for the whole season/show now?

You see a POV shot of Brienne cleaving him and then a discussion between Roose and Ramsay about how Stannis is dead and it's a shame they don't know who did it. He's dead.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I think Oberyn may be a bit of a commentary on traditional "honour". Obviously there are characters who aren't honourable and talk about it at great length, like Bronn and The Hound. But the moral of the story with them is that honour isn't particularly practical.

With Oberyn I think the moral of the story is that being honourable and being good are different things. He's a thoroughly good man so far as we know, but he's not in the least bit honourable and is largely despised by the nobility as a result. He doesn't play by the rules and his greatest triumph is poisoning someone in a fair fight he would otherwise have soundly lost.

Meanwhile Tywin is all above board so he's held in much higher regard. Despite the fact he's a oval office.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

You see a POV shot of Brienne cleaving him and then a discussion between Roose and Ramsay about how Stannis is dead and it's a shame they don't know who did it. He's dead.

That explains a lot. I was finishing up cooking during the Bolton scene and missed some of their dialogue.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Gin_Rummy posted:

Given how bad they've been at keeping the lid on the Jon Snow fakeout I would be amazed if Stephen Dillane had been involved this season and they'd managed to keep it quiet.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yes. Ramsay and Roose discuss not knowing who struck the killing blow, because Roose wants to reward the person that did it. That implies they found the dead body.

I get the feeling Dillane really didn't want anything else to do with the show, so we don't even get to see a body.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Max posted:

Yes. Ramsay and Roose discuss not knowing who struck the killing blow, because Roose wants to reward the person that did it. That implies they found the dead body.

I get the feeling Dillane really didn't want anything else to do with the show, so we don't even get to see a body.

I wouldn't blame him. Last season really hosed around with his arc.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I think GRRM is subtweeting his GoT commentary on the Hugos.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/483663.html

quote:

It is, to say the least, a mixed bag. A lot of good books and stories, writers and artists... cheek by jowl with some stuff that is considerably less worthy.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Holy poo poo, Chuck Tingle is a Hugo Finalist.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Stannis is the new Syrio Forel

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Mel will resurrect Stannis instead of Jon and glamour him to look like Jon so he can take his place and become Lord Stark to exact his revenge.

Or alternatively when Mel tries to resurrect Jon, Stannis's grumpy soul muscles his way in and he goes on to pretend to be Jon for the rest of the series. Davos only figures it out in a moment of silence when he hears Jon quietly grinding his teeth.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Max posted:

Holy poo poo, Chuck Tingle is a Hugo Finalist.

I really hope he wins.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I rationalize all dorne scenes ever since I went to the filming location in Seville and they were like yeah we only gave them like a day to do everything and now it makes sense

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I rationalize all dorne scenes ever since I went to the filming location in Seville and they were like yeah we only gave them like a day to do everything and now it makes sense

did they also only have a day to write the script?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ultimately, they made the choice to film in that palace. They didn't have to.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That's pretty hilarious if they killed off Doran because they only had a day to film there.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

I don't know how this can be positive for anyone, this bizarre pseudofeminism in the media by giving women horrible stories and lines to make them badass somehow. Sand Snakes, Ghostbusters, Hillary Clinton. It's all awful, like someone thought the Charlie's Angels movie was good.

Corporate friendly feminism isn't progressive nor even feminism lite. It's to lull well meaning but stupid white progressives into not feeling guilty because it's a woman killing brown people in the oval office or on the tv screen.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If only some other, similar, place would be willing to let Game of Thrones be filmed there...

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

VaultAggie posted:

I'm waiting for the sand snakes to kill Tommen next. Since I guess they're in King's Landing.

Nope, Kevan is the one that dies to Varis. Since they're dropping the dumb fake Targ plotline they still need to kill him off. They're making the fake Targ + Dorne war into just a Dorne revenge war.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Tommen will probably get killed in a riot after Cersei foolishly tells him to murder the High Sparrow or something.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Let's face it, in show terms the whole political machinations of the big houses aspect is just kicking heels soap opera style at this point. Nothing has any long term purpose it's just stuff happening scene to scene. The only thing with any similarity to the overarching story of the book remaining in the show is the White Walkers/Children/supernatural plot.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What's this poo poo with not depicting animal deaths while not giving two shits about killing babies and humans in general?

To me this sounds more like they ditched the dogs due to logistic difficulties and budget, the dogs weren't cooperative they gave it a take or two and said gently caress it.

I just wrote a big thing about it you son of a bitch!

Animal cruelty in media was A Legit Thing in the past, at no point were they actually killing babies though. Well, unless you consider Italian independent movies.

Currently any movie or TV show that employs most Western actors/production studios has to abide by the rule that no animals can be cruelly handled, but it also goes a lot deeper than you'd think. They also cannot be traced to fund people who do it, such as paying slaughter houses to kill an animal in a certain way to match whatever death the movie/show needs to portray.

So that leads to two things, they either don't show the animal getting killed like when Ned cuts Lady's throat and all you hear is her yelping, or they do the same thing but you see an obvious taxidermy stand in afterwards.

Also something people might find interesting, all the horses that you see in battles falling over? They're specially trained for it because in the old days they would just have random horses do it and it would often end up with the horses breaking their backs or legs.

Also also the whole animal rights thing conveniently doesn't apply to fish. You can do whatever you want to ordinary fish (not dolphins and poo poo though).

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 26, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Man, they're gonna spin their wheels soooo much this season and then have like 1.5 seasons to finish.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

OrthoTrot posted:

Let's face it, in show terms the whole political machinations of the big houses aspect is just kicking heels soap opera style at this point. Nothing has any long term purpose it's just stuff happening scene to scene. The only thing with any similarity to the overarching story of the book remaining in the show is the White Walkers/Children/supernatural plot.

Is like they realized the audience likes political machinations and backstabbing so they are just lazily writing convoluted nonsense political plots with tons of random backstabbing everywhere, for shock value and to get the characters where they wanted. Its a cheap pastiche of what GRRM does in the books.

Littlefinger plot about sending Sansa to Winterfell made little sense and the whole Dorne stuff made no sense at all. And even the plot against Jon was a bit of a nonsense in the way it was presented

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Remember when the added scenes, like Jory talking Jamie, were good and everyone assumed things were going to be awesomer once the show took off the training wheels?

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Professor Shark posted:

Remember when the added scenes, like Jory talking Jamie, were good and everyone assumed things were going to be awesomer once the show took off the training wheels?

Back when they had characters interacting in scenes that made sense character wise and were used as ways of letting other people know of the history of the characters?

Ah, the good old days. Now we have extended rape standup and every death is met with snarky one liners.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Love Crime posted:

I just wrote a big thing about it you son of a bitch!

Animal cruelty in media was A Legit Thing in the past, at no point were they actually killing babies though. Well, unless you consider Italian independent movies.

Currently any movie or TV show that employs most Western actors/production studios has to abide by the rule that no animals can be cruelly handled, but it also goes a lot deeper than you'd think. They also cannot be traced to fund people who do it, such as paying slaughter houses to kill an animal in a certain way to match whatever death the movie/show needs to portray.

So that leads to two things, they either don't show the animal getting killed like when Ned cuts Lady's throat and all you hear is her yelping, or they do the same thing but you see an obvious taxidermy stand in afterwards.

Also something people might find interesting, all the horses that you see in battles falling over? They're specially trained for it because in the old days they would just have random horses do it and it would often end up with the horses breaking their backs or legs.

Also also the whole animal rights thing conveniently doesn't apply to fish. You can do whatever you want to ordinary fish (not dolphins and poo poo though).

"No CGI-Direwolves were harmed in the making of this film."

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

"No CGI-Direwolves were harmed in the making of this film."

If we learned anything from the Dickwolves, people get very concerned with the goings-on of fictional canines.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
They showed a bear getting plugged with a crossbow bolt a couple seasons ago.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 27, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Little Kielbasa posted:

They showed a bear getting plugged with a crossbow bolt a couple seasons ago.

And a deer getting gutted.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

And a deer getting gutted.

Neither of those are pets.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That deer was actually harmed in the making of the show

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Like holy poo poo that deer scene was awesome and did wonders for giving Tywin characterization, now we have bad pussy bad cgi back of heads stabs and lovely dialogue

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Demiurge4 posted:

Neither of those are pets.

What about the horse decapitation in season 1?

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
The bear is actually a a famous stunt bear whose dad was also a famous stunt bear.

It's double generation stunt bearness, now we have poorly trained snakes from no notable families.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cross posting this:

Saeka posted:

I hope the entire rest of the season is Davos and Tormund carrying Jon Snow around, like Weekend at Bernies.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's a well known movie making technique that you have the villain kill a dog to get people to not like them. They didn't show it because (honestly it was just a continuity error but) they want you to like Brienne not because they are against showing dog killings.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, that settles it. Ramsay isn't really a bad guy since we haven't seen him kill any dogs. In fact, he seems to like dogs and even fed his girlfriend to them.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

drunken officeparty posted:

It's a well known movie making technique that you have the villain kill a dog to get people to not like them. They didn't show it because (honestly it was just a continuity error but) they want you to like Brienne not because they are against showing dog killings.

Counterpoint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Professor Shark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ES_ElI6Wg

Aaaah the good old days. Goddamit D&D what happened to you?

• Locked thread