Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

homeless snail posted:

The Milo Yiannopoulos Stamp of Approval

I spent a while reading about this guy last night & now i'm more eager than ever to get a vive to escape reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

Just remember this is how the hate group he sponsored described him on their website

lol. fuckin milo

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Roland Jones posted:

At this point anyone who is still defending Palmer should be assumed to be pro-racist memes, and therefore racist, because that is what he bankrolled and what everyone is criticizing him for. For example:

This person, in addition to being an rear end in a top hat and a hypocrite, is in favor of racist memes, given that they wrote so much in the defense of a person who spent thousands of dollars to have them made.

Haha man yeah cool good read of what I Actually Said. Let's all burn our Rifts and tear down one of the three major VR players because a guy who no longer owns the company has dumb loving political opinions! That'll show him!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bloodysabbath posted:

Haha man yeah cool good read of what I Actually Said. Let's all burn our Rifts and tear down one of the three major VR players because a guy who no longer owns the company has dumb loving political opinions! That'll show him!

lol.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

gibbis

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

Pulling the trigger on turning SA into a goddamn safe space is the nuclear option to save this dying forum?

How in the blue hell was this decision reached?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There's plenty of other reasons to dislike facebook. It's not like Oculus users are gonna lose out anyway, they'll still be able to play using OpenVR versions of the games.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

"Completely deleting the general forum of a site is totally a reasonable decision because some posters use the N-word. :thumbsup:"
- Person who thinks a company is bad because a guy who used to own it is going to vote for a Cheeto man.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
See, you're writing things, but all I'm getting is:

bloodysabbath posted:

I am racist and upset that being racist is no longer publicly acceptable but rather has real consequences, both socially and financially.

But don't worry, you'll get over it eventually. Or not. I don't really care.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I would unironically trade the existence of VR technology as a whole to make someone who funds racists and white supremacists have his life and career ruined.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Al-Saqr posted:

I would unironically trade the existence of VR as a whole to make someone who funds racists and white supremacists have his career ruined.

He has 700 million dollars. There is literally nothing on this goddamned planet that you can do to impact his quality of life. Might as well enjoy some Chronos and Edge of Nowhere and be done with it.

If you're going to begin demanding everything you use or consume be untouched in any way by those with Wrong Opinions, you're about to embark into a deep hole.

Roland Jones posted:

See, you're writing things, but all I'm getting is:

This is because you lack reading comprehension skills. But don't worry, you'll get them eventually. Or not. I don't really care.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Memes and poo poo posting magic is the name of the game for American politics in 2016, and nobody bats an eye. Slippery slopes really do exist.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

He has 700 million dollars. There is literally nothing on this goddamned planet that you can do to impact his quality of life. Might as well enjoy some Chronos and Edge of Nowhere and be done with it.

If you're going to begin demanding everything you use or consume be untouched in any way by those with Wrong Opinions, you're about to embark into a deep hole.

This is because you lack reading comprehension skills. But don't worry, you'll get them eventually. Or not. I don't really care.

actually you seem to care a lot

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

d0s posted:

actually you seem to care a lot

Every developer of software and hardware and every employee of such must be vetted for thier political beliefs and voting history. It’s the only way.

- Posted on my device made in loving China.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

Every developer of software and hardware and every employee of such must be vetted for thier political beliefs and voting history. It’s the only way.

Everyone has to pick their battles. If you take your mindset to the extreme, it'd just be pure nihilism.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

homeless snail posted:

Just remember this is how the hate group he sponsored described him on their website

I wonder what it's like to be vetted by Milo. :a2m:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

bloodysabbath posted:

It's not even so much that he supports Trump - just under half the country is going to support the guy, there's not a lot I can do to avoid doing anything with anyone that votes for him. But here's a product founded by a guy putting money into a racist campaign with an alt-right superstar and then lying about it. That makes me pretty uncomfortable, and when it comes down to how I want to spend my entertainment dollars when I purchase VR equipment this year, all other things being fairly equal, I'm going to pick the one that doesn't remind me of white supremacists when I look at the logo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

bloodysabbath posted:

nice meltdown

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bloodysabbath posted:

lol you are melting down super hard

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

imagine being mad about gbs

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

SwissCM posted:

Everyone has to pick their battles. If you take your mindset to the extreme, it'd just be pure nihilism.

This is a fair point, but I guess I'm happy to not pick the battle against a Cool and Good Thing, especially when its turd inventor has already divested himself of it.

What is the endgame of this? Demand Facebook fire Palmer from his figurehead role for having dumbshit opinions in his free time? In the state of CA you cannot do that, so that's a non-starter.

Also, Oculus is wholly owned by Facebook, so I guess we'll need another tool to organize our mass burnings of Rift headsets. If the "down with Oculus as long as Palmer is employed by Facebook" crew is going to have the courage of its convictions, I hope you're all deleting your accounts right now. (You aren't.)

Like, buy a Rift or don't, develop for Rift or don't, but there is detail to this situation nobody recognizes, because ~getting outraged~ is sexier than recognizing said detail -- you're not cancelling your OG Kickstarter pledge and thus directly harming Palmer and his company. That ship has sailed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

bloodysabbath posted:

This is a fair point, but I guess I'm happy to not pick the battle against a Cool and Good Thing, especially when its turd inventor has already divested himself of it.

What is the endgame of this? Demand Facebook fire Palmer from his figurehead role for having dumbshit opinions in his free time? In the state of CA you cannot do that, so that's a non-starter.

Also, Oculus is wholly owned by Facebook, so I guess we'll need another tool to organize our mass burnings of Rift headsets. If the "down with Oculus as long as Palmer is employed by Facebook" crew is going to have the courage of its convictions, I hope you're all deleting your accounts right now. (You aren't.)

Like, buy a Rift or don't, develop for Rift or don't, but there is detail to this situation nobody recognizes, because ~getting outraged~ is sexier than recognizing said detail -- you're not cancelling your OG Kickstarter pledge and thus directly harming Palmer and his company. That ship has sailed.

Palmer can have his opinions and people can have their opinions of Palmer this isn't hard to understand. If a developer doesn't want to support Oculus because Palmer still works there as a figurehead-ish type person founder guy because of Palmer's opinions and actions that is totally within their right to do that. Why does Palmer get to have his opinions but other people don't get to have their opinions about Palmer? Why does one get you upset? They are the same thing.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

bloodysabbath posted:

I hope you're all deleting your accounts right now. (You aren't.)

I hope you're deleting your SA account because you're mad about gbs

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bloodysabbath posted:

bloodysabbath posted:

"Completely deleting the general forum of a site is totally a reasonable decision because some posters use the N-word. :thumbsup:"
- Person who thinks a company is bad because a guy who used to own it is going to vote for a Cheeto man.

bloodysabbath posted:

Now state your case again, only instead of saying people are responding because Palmer "has dumb political opinions", or "is going to vote for Trump" or that he is being "vetted for his political beliefs and voting history", say that Palmer "funded the creation and dissemination of racist hate speech". :allears:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm not sure what Oculus should do. Selling to Facebook was a mistake as the culture there is too consumer hostile for much good to have come from it (apart from the cash injection), at least from the perspective of the end user. I think competition is healthy so it's probably a good thing for them to stick around if only for that?

Basically, what I'm saying is that the whole Palmer thing is more of a tipping point than the primary cause of anger and distrust towards Oculus for many people.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 24, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I genuinely like the rift headset and hope vive mk2 cribs from it hardcore

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

bloodysabbath posted:

Normally I agree with you on things like this, but I feel like the fact that Luckey specifically gave money to these groups is the complicating factor. Usually when I make the point you're making right now, it's with the acknowledgement that "It's not like the money you give to this is going to go directly to funding this person's interests." However, in this case, that's actually what's happened. I think, for a lot of people, it's less about wanting to personally hurt Palmer Luckey and more just feeling uncomfortable that some of the money you give to something could very likely go into the pockets of interest groups you disagree with.

Most controversial creators don't get controversial via massive cash infusions to clandestine activity, is my point. Usually they just shoot their mouths off on talk shows. In the latter case I would generally tend to agree with your point...but yeah, the specifics of this make me very uncomfortable with Oculus right now.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Rastor posted:

Now state your case again, only instead of saying people are responding because Palmer "has dumb political opinions", or "is going to vote for Trump" or that he is being "vetted for his political beliefs and voting history", say that Palmer "funded the creation and dissemination of racist hate speech". :allears:

My point stays intact because I am talking about an rear end in a top hat who has been divested of his interest in the company.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I actually just think its really funny and couldn't care less what eventually happens.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah its like just too perfect given that he's also an embarassing brony etc, it's pretty much the alt-right with the guy fawkes mask off for the world to see

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

proud aryan ubermensch

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Oh Palmer, you precious flower...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hail pepe *puts on vr headset to clop to 3d models of ponies*

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

SwissCM posted:

I'm not sure what Oculus should do. Selling to Facebook was a mistake as the culture there is too consumer hostile for much good to have come from it (apart from the cash injection), at least from the perspective of the end user. I think competition is healthy so it's probably a good thing for them to stick around if only for that?

Basically, what I'm saying is that the whole Palmer thing is more of a tipping point than the primary cause of anger and distrust towards Oculus for many people.

Oculus isn't going anywhere. Palmer will (continue to) apologize and things will go back to normal. Phil Fish probably won't get back on the train, but the rest of the devs will get over it once he's apologized enough for them.

It's a tough pill to swallow for all these under 18-24yo millionaires, but at some point they'll have to accept that they end up like Peter Thiel, or Bill Gates.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

d0s posted:

proud aryan ubermensch

Isn't that show supposed to teach morality or something? It doesn't seem to be working.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJLQMbYrAkc&t=112s
:eyepop:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
^^^*edit* oh you piece of poo poo you beat me in less than a microsecond. *edit*^^^

Video of Palmer Luckey at 1:52 actually at a trump rally LOL if he's voting for Gary Johnson.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I thought he was voting for the weed guy

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm beginning to think there might be something to Zenimax's accusation that Palmer Luckey is an idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Hey, all that proves is that he was there, not that he's a Trump supp... ah, fuckit.

Also, GBS is gone now? I hadn't noticed, since it's probably been 10 years or so since I last clicked on it. :v: