Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Fender Anarchist posted:

Cameras have a slightly higher threshold before you hit diminishing returns, but the core tenet holds true: it doesn't matter how fancy your optics are if you can't frame a shot.

i've been taking photos for years and a single lens costs like at least as much as this telecaster does (more if you actually want a good one) so that's how i justify months of druling and attempting to decide to myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

anyway aside from my increasing neurosis, here's something. i stumbled across starcaster pedals for the first time today - my friend told me he had a starcaster and they came up in a google image search.

i'm actually loving in love with the design on these.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

Then when you're bitter and old and have had actual time to fail, then you can spend your weekends watching that pedal show and rearranging your board 17 times.

I have to keep away from TPS and Doug and Pat, they're massive timesinks for me. One payment to go for the Fallout, oh yes it will be mine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Those big chunky switches really are the best, going from the soft Boss switches to my Big Muff (which uses those) is so goddamn satisfying.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Shoot manual focus lenses on an A7 which is cheap as poo poo and you will have photos that the vast majority of people won’t know the difference comparing to people shooting the latest greatest bodies and lenses. In fact if the person shooting the former practices, learns fundamentals and composition etc. and the latest and greatest guy is a dentist who uses a pop up flash outside and pushes clarity to 100 on every overbaked HDR image they shoot then the guy with the cheap A7 and cheap manual focus lenses will certainly have much, much better images. And yes that is a direct comparison to guitar since if you don’t practice it doesn’t matter what you play, even if it is just for yourself. Except for guys who just collect gear, and I say that not being judgemental because if buying expensive poo poo makes people happy then more power to them if they can afford to maintain that lifestyle.

Even if you’ve just been studying photography for a year you have to know the guys who buy a ton of stuff but have bad photos because they haven’t really put the time in, and it’s the same as guitar. Photography and music are actually really good things to compare to one another since not many other art forms have this gear acquisition thing. Like you see guitar players buying way more poo poo than a violinist, or a visual artist (although they might have a little to buy in their own way) and then you get to photographers and there is something that draws people in to wanting new gear because it will *definitely* make them better, or it seems that way. I’ve done it with photography and guitars and ultimately it is nice to have good tools but Squiers are at a point where you can take them stock and be good to go, possibly even without fret work (which still blows my mind since Squier used to be really bad). I play bass too and my jazz bass is a Squier with no mods except me wiring it to parallel. No one including me hears any issues with it on the bandstand.

I was just about to go to bed but you get the point and I apologize for rambling. One thing I would suggest is if you really were going to swap out parts is to tally up how much that would cost and add it to the price you were going to spend on a guitar. Use that total amount to buy a guitar you won’t change that you feel is right for you. That’s not to say that you won’t want to change things in the future but when you are starting you really want to just be into it for the music. If you are chasing tone through gear at the beginning it is going to set you up for issues that will likely be resolved through learning to play. Once you hit a level of proficiency you will know exactly what you might want to change and it won’t be theoretical at that point.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ewe2 posted:

I have to keep away from TPS and Doug and Pat, they're massive timesinks for me. One payment to go for the Fallout, oh yes it will be mine.

I'm always confused by the fact that tps has an allegedly proper editor on staff, as I watch 47 minutes of uninterrupted giggling and uming to dig out 14 minutes of info.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Fender Anarchist posted:

Those big chunky switches really are the best, going from the soft Boss switches to my Big Muff (which uses those) is so goddamn satisfying.

i'm just in love with the housing/color/fonts on them. part of my unsure-ness is that whike i like playing guitar, i hate Guitar Aesthstic so much. that's why i like clean white curvy guitar bodies.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

landgrabber posted:

i'm just in love with the housing/color/fonts on them. part of my unsure-ness is that whike i like playing guitar, i hate Guitar Aesthstic so much. that's why i like clean white curvy guitar bodies.

Have you looked at the prs SE One? There's one in white and it's very clean looking to my eye.

I have a lot of the same over-researching/option-paralysis and it's awesome to have just one pickup/one volume knob.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Don’t treat the thing like a painting when your shopping for it. Think about it like a power tool, my best tools are grimy and beat up, same with my guitar. If you treat it like a piece of art instead of a tool your more likely to leave it hanging up on the wall looking at it rather than playing it when you do finally buy one.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
My dad, who teaches photography, likes to reference the "your first thousand pictures will be poo poo, no matter what your gear is" line. (Although he's actually very good at helping students find the picture they wanted to take on the picture they did take.)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Post the cat pics landgrabber

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Landgrab, buy the axx

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Pondex posted:

Landgrab, buy the axx

Yeah man just buy something that feels good now. I went through 5 guitars before I found the one I’ve stuck with for like the last 10 years.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
There should just be a $150 fee to join this thread and you automatically get a squier tele sent to you upon registering

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

fullroundaction posted:

There should just be a $150 fee to join this thread and you automatically get a squier tele sent to you upon registering

There should be an option to pay $250 or $350 for a standard or classic vibe. I feel like affinitys are beneath me. Otherwise great idea.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Pondex posted:

Have you looked at the prs SE One? There's one in white and it's very clean looking to my eye.

I have a lot of the same over-researching/option-paralysis and it's awesome to have just one pickup/one volume knob.

i probably would've went for one of these had i known about it earlier - there was a while where i really wanted an LP jr, or at least it was tempting, rivers did the blue album with one.

Pondex posted:

Landgrab, buy the axx

it's not up to me - my half of the money has been sitting in my paypal account for weeks now. it's all my mom at this point

baka kaba posted:

Post the cat pics landgrabber

you got it

the last one got a bit deep-fried - it wasn't originally like that but i lost the raw for it unfortunately, so what that is is a saved jpg from tumblr where i'd uploaded it and uploaded to imgur again... yeah. but it's a good photo and i use camera raw tastefully

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Nice pics! But I think you need a better camera, the cats aren't really popping. Better not get that guitar just yet

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

baka kaba posted:

Nice pics! But I think you need a better camera, the cats aren't really popping. Better not get that guitar just yet

time to save up for an arri alexa and select stills out of gigantic video files to upload

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

baka kaba posted:

But why have just one moneysink-hobby when you can have two?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Pondex posted:

But why have just one moneysink-hobby when you can have two?

the main thing i'm going after is professional graphic design which isn't a money sink because it's a computer and an adobe subscription. i'm overcompensating.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love photography too but I manage to keep the spending low somehow. 60D + 50mm and I’m set.

All my money goes towards music bullshit and videogames.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

That's enviable :)
I mostly shoot medium format analog so the gear can be a bit steep.

And I kind of want to get into modular synths.. :negative:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love photography too but I manage to keep the spending low somehow. 60D + 50mm and I’m set.

All my money goes towards music bullshit and videogames.

yeah i don't actually have amazing photo gear or anything - t5i that i bought may of last year, so it was far from glamourous , and i thiiiink i got ahold of a $300 tamron lens. it's 28-75, constant f2.8. before that i had a $50 chinese nifty 50 knockoff, and briefly before the tamron i had the older version of the 18-135 kit. it sucked rear end, i never used it, got the tamron a month later. sold it to finance.... a squier standard telecaster :P

i really really miss shooting, i just don't have a driver's license yet and i kind of wrung out all i could out of walking around my little neighborhood.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

bro look on craigslist and do day labor for like, 3 days. Mow some yards. Clean some houses. A squier tele can be yours for only a few days worth of work.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

yeah i don't actually have amazing photo gear or anything - t5i that i bought may of last year, so it was far from glamourous , and i thiiiink i got ahold of a $300 tamron lens. it's 28-75, constant f2.8. before that i had a $50 chinese nifty 50 knockoff, and briefly before the tamron i had the older version of the 18-135 kit. it sucked rear end, i never used it, got the tamron a month later. sold it to finance.... a squier standard telecaster :P

i really really miss shooting, i just don't have a driver's license yet and i kind of wrung out all i could out of walking around my little neighborhood.

You’re fairly young right? You remind me of myself around 17-18 and I find it amusing. I don’t mean that in a bad way it’s just funny to me. Embrace your weird obsessions imo. I’ve been my happiest since I started doing that more and more. I’ve found this balance where I can be my extremely spectrumy self about things but know when to chill before I burn out or get frustrated. When I’m in new pedal/guitar/amp mode I honestly spend like every single second doing nothing but reading about the gear and watching demos obsessively.

If you put that energy into making music when you get a setup you’re gonna have a poo poo ton of fun. I neglected writing songs until recently and I feel like an idiot for it.

Also I still take most of my photos around my house and immediate area because the outside world is spooky lol

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God, I still can't bring myself to write music. For the guitar tracks I want to do 30 different conflicting styles, and anytime I try to do lyrics over a 4-chord song I just feel like an absolute hack and delete the text document.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kilometers Davis posted:

You’re fairly young right? You remind me of myself around 17-18 and I find it amusing. I don’t mean that in a bad way it’s just funny to me. Embrace your weird obsessions imo. I’ve been my happiest since I started doing that more and more. I’ve found this balance where I can be my extremely spectrumy self about things but know when to chill before I burn out or get frustrated. When I’m in new pedal/guitar/amp mode I honestly spend like every single second doing nothing but reading about the gear and watching demos obsessively.

If you put that energy into making music when you get a setup you’re gonna have a poo poo ton of fun. I neglected writing songs until recently and I feel like an idiot for it.

Also I still take most of my photos around my house and immediate area because the outside world is spooky lol

i'm 16 and exactly like this. i spend a lot of time writing lyrics to songs i already know so that they're about something totally different - it's just an impulse i weirdly have.

my main thing is visual arts - it started with video and turned into graphic design over the course of like 7 years - i started cutting stuff together when i was five, no joke. i got into traditional art (which is what i call drawing, because i'm an rear end in a top hat) because i knew i'd need to do it to get into design school, but i realized it was a theraputic thing and helping me be a better designer, and also making me a better person, weirdly. then i got into photos and the same thing happened. the more different things i can do the mentally better i feel, and they all inform each other - i like having a big vocabulary in terms of self-expression. but graphic design's where it's at - there's an analytical nature to me but i think entirely in pictures, so that's the only thing that really stiumulates both sides of my brain at the same time. so that's why i'm trying music. but everything's secondary to visual arts - GD in particular

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I love that so many here are also into photography. I only know one other musician who is a photographer irl so seeing it here is cool. I’ve been into it for many years now and find that photography and music, particularly guitar seem to go well together and tickle a similar part of the brain in terms of gratification while doing it, learning, acquiring gear etc.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Fender Anarchist posted:

God, I still can't bring myself to write music. For the guitar tracks I want to do 30 different conflicting styles, and anytime I try to do lyrics over a 4-chord song I just feel like an absolute hack and delete the text document.

you can't get good at anything if you don't commit to being poo poo at it for a while. i find it's that actual feeling of completion that encourages you to do more, and make it better - prove to yourself you can write a full song before anything else. then make a better one. then you might start to get in the habit of it, and then you'll find your voice

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

oh and on the spectrumy thing, like, i've often wondered if i have something going on up there that's a little funky, but i'm weirdly aware of other people's emotions so i don't think it's that specifically? idk i just get obsessed with poo poo

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

LG how did you wind up on SA at 16? You were literally one years old when I registered my account here. It's v. Cool to see young blood here but I think it's earned a reputation as a forum for people over 30. Just curious what led you here.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My wife is a pro photographer and I go with her to second shoot (weddings etc) sometimes when she can't get someone else. I learned that the only difference between a pro and an amateur is showing up.

Wish I could apply the same confidence to music :smith:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

NonzeroCircle posted:

I just played my first gig on guitar in about seven years, what a rush.

And for once it was someone else who had an onstage catastrophe (other guitarist spilt beer into his Rectifier mid set :ohdear:)

Oh I forgot to make the joke

no pongas tu cerveza en la mesa

ok thanks

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Kilometers Davis are you actually me?

Anyway, following last night's show we've been shooting for our first video today (some footage from us playing last night included).

The concept is as I'm the new one the rest kidnap me after I reply to a guitarist wanted ad and put me onstage and hand me a guitar, filmed the bag being taken off my head last night.

Between that set, being chased around all afternoon, thrown in a van, carried around by my limbs and being fake beaten up I hurt all over, yay being 32 and acting like a 17 year old!

Some guy called the police as 4 fat dudes in balaclavas chasing a slightly less but still hardly svelte dude with a bag on his head looks suspicious apparently. The massive dslrs and smiling people waving him past going 'its ok, we're ok just filming a video' fell on deaf ears.

The police were really good natured after we explained ourselves but hearing one of them radio another unit and ordering them to "stand down" is a bit ffffuuuuucccckkk

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 9, 2018

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

LG how did you wind up on SA at 16? You were literally one years old when I registered my account here. It's v. Cool to see young blood here but I think it's earned a reputation as a forum for people over 30. Just curious what led you here.

i got on the internet when i was like seven or eight, when forums were dying but before twitter and stuff was really where everyone went to poo poo around online. so i only saw the less horrifying side of forums when they were starting to get slightly better than what they were in like, 2005 or whatever, and i really liked 'em. SA is one of the most active Forums still left so i came here - doesn't hurt that it seems really left wing, or at least there are pockets that cater to that sort of thing as well, on a largely reactionary internet

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fender Anarchist posted:

Don’t delete it. Keep it, don’t show it to anyone if you don’t want to. If you do continue to write you will look back fondly on those songs even if they aren’t that great because they are stepping stones to getting better.

It can also help to start with the chords if you usually do lyrics first or vice versa. It forces you to write differently and gets you out of ruts if you feel like you are stuck. Also forcing yourself into simpler structures can be useful to see how much you can keep yourself in those constraints, even if it only ends up as a writing exercise.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Songs I wrote 6 years ago turned into my first tune I wrote. Keep stuff!

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Fender Anarchist posted:

anytime I try to do lyrics over a 4-chord song I just feel like an absolute hack and delete the text document.

Same, although it’s been years since I tried.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rio posted:

I love that so many here are also into photography. I only know one other musician who is a photographer irl so seeing it here is cool. I’ve been into it for many years now and find that photography and music, particularly guitar seem to go well together and tickle a similar part of the brain in terms of gratification while doing it, learning, acquiring gear etc.

in college i worked in a media production lab and funnily enough just about all the photography faculty played guitar and were of course total gearwhores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God, I briefly started getting into photography my freshman year of HS. This was 2002/03 so digital was still fairly expensive and the class focused entirely on B/W film photography. God what a flashback, I haven't thought about that since... finishing the class lol.