Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

and the bricks kind of have a 'cel-shaded' look to them.

If I can ever get my D&D Club back together I plan on using the tutorial to paint some dungeon stones because I like the look so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Under 15 posted:

Quoting this from downtown because idgaf. I put the tutorial to use on a model. Chickened out from going all the way, but here's the result:

I really like how the hands came out on this model - usually it's something I gently caress up really bad, but here I think I nailed it. Maybe because the sculptor put some effort into it as well?

nice job!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Max Wilco posted:

The baking thing makes sense, it's more the handling I'd be worried about.

Though in saying that, I'm also going to turn around and say that you could also use cat litter as a source for sand. Ideally, though, you would use fresh litter from out of the packaging, though I guess you could utilize used litter if you feel bad about depriving the cat of comfort, or if you feel like courting the Plaguefather.

More seriously, cat litter could work as sand, but the consistency/granularity might not be right (though it may depend on the brand), and seeing as how it's meant to absorb moisture, I don't know how it would react to glue or paint.

Cat litter is good for larger bits of rubble, but make sure not to touch it once it gets wet, because it's clay and will break apart. Once dry, it's rock solid though. I usually use it for areas of rubble where walls and floors meet on terrain, and for a little bit of size variation in addition to sand and gravel on mini bases.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Silhouette posted:

Cat litter is good for larger bits of rubble, but make sure not to touch it once it gets wet, because it's clay and will break apart. Once dry, it's rock solid though. I usually use it for areas of rubble where walls and floors meet on terrain, and for a little bit of size variation in addition to sand and gravel on mini bases.

Just make sure it's the cheap poo poo, not the clumping kind.

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

I painted these Harlequin zombies.

This was an oppertunity to play with my brand new vallejo verdigris wash and dry rust effect. I am really happy with the verdigris and i think the rust looks good on chainmail, but i struggled a bit to get it to look ok on flat surfaces like axes and plate mail.

blue collar orc
Feb 13, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

whats a good source for basing sand? I had some random dub of GW stuff that Ive had for years and accidentally dumped it today

I borrowed some sand from my local playground. It's quite nice in that the it has a good mix of different grain sizes.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Werix posted:

I want you to know this looks good, as someone who recently painted a lot of Thousand Sons. My one "regret" was doing stripes on the head crests. I use quotes because it turned out good (wash hides a multitude of sins) but it would have been much easier to do solid color on those.

Thanks! My regret (which I'm fixing) is trying to outline those V shaped indents on the corners of the shoulder armor instead of filling in the inside with the same color. On the sorcerer they were easy and well defined, but on the Marines themselves they're not. Even the picture on the front of the box has them filled in.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
Is anyone here aware of an affordable texture gel with a similar grit and consistency to Citadel's Astrogranite texture paint?

I'm looking to mostly cover a 6x4 gaming table with it, to match the consistency of my Warhammer bases, but buying 100 pots of astrogranite for the purpose would be ridiculous expensive even for a games workshop consumer.

Pre-colored doesn't matter as I'll spray the board anyway, but matching grit size and sculptability is important for consistency's sake.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Texmo posted:

Is anyone here aware of an affordable texture gel with a similar grit and consistency to Citadel's Astrogranite texture paint?

I'm looking to mostly cover a 6x4 gaming table with it, to match the consistency of my Warhammer bases, but buying 100 pots of astrogranite for the purpose would be ridiculous expensive even for a games workshop consumer.

Pre-colored doesn't matter as I'll spray the board anyway, but matching grit size and sculptability is important for consistency's sake.

I use Valejo Black Lava-Asphalt, it creates a really good looking rough texture like astrogranite but it’s jet black. Might still be too expensive for a huge board though, so it might be better to buy powdered pumice stone and mix it with cheap craft paint to make your own.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

For bulk work like that you might want to look into truck bed spray liner, liquitex resin sand, or an equal parts PVA / sand / flour / paint / water mix.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hell, if it's cheap enough go ahead and see how much a bucket of stucco would be at home depot and then wash it black

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Best basing sand I've ever used is the poo poo that accumulates in parking lots. It's enough different grades that it looks pretty natural, and the price is right, too.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Xpost from HH thread:

Major Spag posted:

Gurgle gurgle gurgggggg...

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

X posting 40k

Alokgen posted:

After get some list advice a few pages back I committed to my idea of starting marines, but decided to mix it up a bit. Hope everyone is okay with females marines, if not, oh well~

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Alokgen posted:

X posting 40k

Man, the only real critique I can make here is that the base color is too close to the armor color.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Not 100% happy with this guy, but he's as done as he's going to get.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Alokgen posted:

X posting 40k

These are beautifully painted! My one critique is that most of the tones appear to be on the lighter side, so everything feels a little desaturated. But that may ultimately come down to personal taste.

Oh, and also: female marines are rad as gently caress.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know an equivalent for Citadel's Iron Hands Steel?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iu1NdEj19A
I kind of want to try this. :v:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finished up a quick squad of grots! Nothing fancy, just like 3 hours of work.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
It took two batches and several months, but I finished my Veteran Intercessor squad. Used some Assault Intercessor bodies on the second batch, so the whole squad has a ton of great dynamism.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/OBSrSZi

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
hero quest treasure chests

here's the part i painted:

with cardboard inserts:

scene:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Nebalebadingdong posted:

with cardboard inserts:

scene:

Wow, those are beautiful. I need to stop being such a coward about nmm. After this project...

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Those Intercessors look great. I almost want to snag some of the terrain now just to enhance my photos.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

feels real good, threw out all my metallic paint, especially all the garbage gold/bronze poo poo that has worse coverage than bulk yellow acrylic paint from loving michael's

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Nebalebadingdong posted:

with cardboard inserts:

scene:

this is some satan poo poo here

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You can use the edge of a black Sharpie on the cardboard components to blacken the unprinted edges where the door frames were punched out.

It won't puff out the cardboard like a water- based paint might, and it might help you make things somehow even more perfect.

Seriously, this is fantastic.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EdsTeioh posted:

Man, the only real critique I can make here is that the base color is too close to the armor color.

Camouflage!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Tried golden crackle paste after a thread recommendation, it works really well. I even forgot to paint the bases first and it still cracked a lot.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

moths posted:

You can use the edge of a black Sharpie on the cardboard components to blacken the unprinted edges where the door frames were punched out.

Oh drat! i was told to do this a long time ago and totally forgot! thanks!

now i get to repost everything again! :getin:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have completed a Somua S35!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Looks great! Loving this guy's Summer of 1940 vibe!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

now i get to repost everything again! :getin:

The best possible outcome!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Quote isn't edit!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

feels real good, threw out all my metallic paint, especially all the garbage gold/bronze poo poo that has worse coverage than bulk yellow acrylic paint from loving michael's

I'm guessing you have never used any actually good metallic paint if that's how you feel about it. Vallejo Metal Color is the best by far along with some of the Scale 75 metallics, especially the golds.

Your NMM looks fantastic, but in my opinion it's not just a straight replacement for TMM. Different styles for different projects.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Cinara posted:

Your NMM looks fantastic, but in my opinion it's not just a straight replacement for TMM. Different styles for different projects.

yah i was being facetious. im going full comic book

(but to be open, the only non-silver metallic paints ive tried were the GW ones and they're worthless. the silvers are acceptable-ish)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GW's Retributor Gold is wonderful IMO

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, Retributor Armour is amazing. So is leadbelcher.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When I'm making a glaze using glaze medium what should the consistency be? Should I only use glaze medium or should I add a bit of flow improver?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Phi230 posted:

When I'm making a glaze using glaze medium what should the consistency be? Should I only use glaze medium or should I add a bit of flow improver?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbCtUYFwFWQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

He doesn't seem to use a medium, only water. My problem has to do with using medium since the medium only seems to thicken the paint so I'm wondering if I should thin it way down anyway with flow improver or water. If that's the case of having to use a ton of thinner what's the point of the medium.