Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
This page actually makes me feel bad for Anthony. I think it's fair enough to say that even in school he was at least a touch on the autistic side. Then his wife died in a way that he could construe as his own fault, so in his grief he cut himself off and tried to find a way to keep the same thing from happening to Annoe. Not the best decision for Annie, really, but one that can be understood. Except now he has no social interaction whatsoever, and he just completely deteriorates into... this. He's a complete wreck who has no idea of what's appropriate in conversation anymore, or how other people would react to things. The literal only thing he can think to speak of is the thing that baited him back to the court--that entire awkward silence he's probably trying to reconstruct that topic in his head to form a new sentence, and that fails loving hard.

Basically what I'm saying is that Tony Carver didn't outlive Surma by all that long. He died in the solitude of the lab and now Anthony's all that's left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

He wasn't satisfied taking Eglamore's first girlfriend. Now he's come for the second.

The best plotline

The Lord of Hats posted:

This page actually makes me feel bad for Anthony. I think it's fair enough to say that even in school he was at least a touch on the autistic side. Then his wife died in a way that he could construe as his own fault, so in his grief he cut himself off and tried to find a way to keep the same thing from happening to Annoe. Not the best decision for Annie, really, but one that can be understood. Except now he has no social interaction whatsoever, and he just completely deteriorates into... this. He's a complete wreck who has no idea of what's appropriate in conversation anymore, or how other people would react to things. The literal only thing he can think to speak of is the thing that baited him back to the court--that entire awkward silence he's probably trying to reconstruct that topic in his head to form a new sentence, and that fails loving hard.

Basically what I'm saying is that Tony Carver didn't outlive Surma by all that long. He died in the solitude of the lab and now Anthony's all that's left.

You must believe he can be saved!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Kat is going to murder Anthony

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
She already has by allowing Rey to "defend" himself :v:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I hope that our little hotheaded robo godess won't actually say anything. I wanna see Donny absolutely dismantle Anthony right now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kikas posted:

I hope that our little hotheaded robo godess won't actually say anything. I wanna see Donny absolutely dismantle Anthony right now.

I don't think that will happen. He might go ballistic at him but Anthony's Autismo 5000 Armour is invulnerable

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
And there's that release of tension everyone was waiting for. Thank you, Donny, for being amazing at all times.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
In regards to the whole discussion on Annie's cheating, there was a part when she was showing Smitty around the forest where he knew something and that surprised her. When she asked how he knew he replied with it was a reading material (or something) and that hadn't she done the same? So it's not just about the cheating in subjects that weren't important to her, she was also clearly ignoring material that could be beneficial to her. Not that she deserves Tony's lovely parenting.

Also I love the fact that Annie is between Kat and Anja. And Anja made her smile when she said "how happy you must be to be back with her". Antimony needs some love from an authority figure :(

Edgar Allan Pwned fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 10, 2015

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Donny for new main hero. Forget about whats-her-name. This guy is best.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just noticed this now, but how long have the comic been not using capital letters for names, or even the start of sentences? Is this some sort of style choice?

EDIT: Looking at it more closely, it seems only certain letters are stuck in certain forms. For example, a is always in lower case (as are t, m, and h) while other letters are always upper case, like R and L.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 10, 2015

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

idonotlikepeas posted:

And there's that release of tension everyone was waiting for. Thank you, Donny, for being amazing at all times.

The whole storyline has been kind of amazing in retrospect, with Anthony's appearance and seizure of power throwing everyone completely off-balance. For a while it seemed like everything we knew about the story was falling apart, with nobody stopping Tony Tunes from disassembling Annie's life and Annie handing over her friend into slavery. It was incredibly disturbing, and the process where we found out exactly what was going on was achingly slow.

It's very nice to find out that all the characters we like are still sane.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This is exactly what I wanted to see, for a moment I expected that we'd completely skip dinner for now (with something like "and he kept completely silent during the whole thing"). Donlans still good.

Still, very rude to interrupt, Donald. And Kat shouldn't eat that potato whole.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Blackheart posted:

This is exactly what I wanted to see, for a moment I expected that we'd completely skip dinner for now (with something like "and he kept completely silent during the whole thing"). Donlans still good.

Still, very rude to interrupt, Donald. And Kat shouldn't eat that potato whole.

You underestimate her capabilities.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Freudian posted:

You underestimate her capabilities.

Actually, her face in the penultimate panel isn't her reacting to Tony's kind words, the poor girl is clearly choking on that potato and needs help.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'll be really disappointed if this doesn't somehow lead to Tony asking Kat to tutor Annie.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

There is one way for Tony to win Kat over completely to his side in a single sentence.

Praise her protein crystal experiment.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Freudian posted:

YF-23, come in YF-23, over.

Anthony Carver did nothing wrong.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I'll be really disappointed if this doesn't somehow lead to Tony asking Kat to tutor Annie.

I'll be really disappointed if Donlan doesn't cause Tony to break down and tearfully hug his daughter.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'll be really disappointed if Tony doesn't blankly stare into space for two panels and pick up his "conversation" from where he left off.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blackheart posted:

Actually, her face in the penultimate panel isn't her reacting to Tony's kind words, the poor girl is clearly choking on that potato and needs help.

Kat unhinged her jaw like a snake and swallowed that potato whole.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think the most likely scenario is that Anthony will try to say he had matters to attend to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He had to return some video tapes.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think the most likely scenario is that Anthony will try to say he had matters to attend to.

This. Anthony will deflect, but I don't think Donald is going to let it slide. He is the most familiar with Anthony and his quirks, so he'll know where and when to push to get the answers he wants.

And he is not happy with what has been going on, that's clear. I'm expecting a fairly brutal dinner. Then again, this comic keeps defying expectation in great ways, so we'll see.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
"Where the hell have you been, Tony?"

"Error. Access denied. Insufficient clearance. Changing subject. My daughter is a cheater."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just noticed this now, but how long have the comic been not using capital letters for names, or even the start of sentences? Is this some sort of style choice?

EDIT: Looking at it more closely, it seems only certain letters are stuck in certain forms. For example, a is always in lower case (as are t, m, and h) while other letters are always upper case, like R and L.

The font the comic uses, Ale And Wenches, does that. It's always been this way.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I wonder how much it's the font's fault for people thinking Ysengrin's name is Ysengrim.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

YF-23 posted:

I wonder how much it's the font's fault for people thinking Ysengrin's name is Ysengrim.

I mean, Ysengrim is a valid spelling of the folklore character's name, so there's that too

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

He had to return some video tapes.

Don't just stare at it, Surma.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Donny is just so over Anthony's poo poo right now and it's great.

I don't think he's particularly pleased with anything about this entire arrangement. Dude is normally a pretty amiable guy, it takes a lot to make him do a Jones impression.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

But also he genuinely wants to know where his friend has been.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Blackheart posted:

But also he genuinely wants to know where his friend has been.

Yeah I agree. Your introverted best friend up and vanishes one day, then comes back after so many years looking like he had been recently introduced to a weed thresher. Clearly some horrible poo poo has gone down and Donnie wants to know what happened. Doubt he's pleased by Anthony's behavior mind you, but there is more to this than "Donnie just got tired of his poo poo". I have a feeling the two will talk in private at some point (or at least Donnie will want to) because I doubt he is going to let this all slide if Anthony does try to be evasive.

That said I don't think he is going to try to tear him down at the dinner party or anything like that, Donnie seems too diplomatic and savvy a person for that. But who knows, he probably felt some hurt himself given that his once best friend didn't feel the need to clue him in on what was going on for all this time. Feels like almost anything could happen during this dinner.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"Tony, where the hell have you been?"

"Is it your concern?"

"Well, as your best fr-"

"Let me restate. Is it your business?"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That poo poo might work on an emotionally vulnerable and submissive daughter, but I'll be disappointed if Donald takes it.

This is our chance to see how Tony acts when he's not the one in control.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Maybe Kat's parents are more worried about Annie than we think, and say "hey maybe she should stay with us", and it will almost come to blows! :v: I just really want to see a fight break out between all the various powers in that room.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

"Tony, where the hell have you been?"

"Is it your concern?"

"Well, as your best fr-"

"Let me restate. Is it your business?"

"Yes, you rear end in a top hat"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The Donlans had Annie over first instead of letting her arrive with Tony, Anja is clinging to Annie and is clearly not OK with Tony's poo poo, and Donny does not seem happy to see his old friend and in fact seems to be keeping himself between Tony and everyone else.

It seems like only Annie is on team Tony here.

E: forget rennie hurting Tony to defend himself, Kat looks like she's just about ready to just command rennie to kill him and make it slow and painful.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 10, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

IMJack posted:

"Where the hell have you been, Tony?"

"Error. Access denied. Insufficient clearance. Changing subject. My daughter is a cheater."

Anthony has spent time with the Laser Cows

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

The Donlans had Annie over first instead of letting her arrive with Tony

No they didn't.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Okay, guys. I know autism is a popular insult, but Anthony's behavior isn't autistic. I mean, he might be, I certainly wouldn't rule it out based especially on his behavior as a kid, but this isn't that. He's just being an rear end in a top hat.

Fister Roboto posted:

I have zero exposure to Harry Potter except through internet osmosis, sorry.

e: that is kind of funny though, why does he drop out?

In order to protect his country, and quite possibly the rest of the world once ol' Voldy got bored - against a threat wielding dark magic on a scale similar to WMDs and with which he shared a sort of empathetic bond due to a failed attempt to hill Potter as a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Donny's neck line looks like a headphone cord. Without the text, I'd be expecting him to nod his head up and down to the beat.

Also, Kat it definitely deciding on the best way to transform her dinner into a deadly weapon. Potato-battery powered hypervelocity pea cannon is the current frontrunner for its aesthetic.