Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Thanks for the replies about Archipelago. I've got people who still want to play it so I'm going to be playing again and seeing how it goes.

Since putting in a pre-order for Food Chain Magnate, I've been looking at other Splotter games. Especially Roads and Boats because of the writeups here. Is that one supposed to be extra expensive? It's out of stock at all the Canadian retailers I know, but CSI has it listed for $180? Is that what it's supposed to be? That seems really high, even for Splotter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Whiffing attacks completely seems unthematic. Dark Souls is all about reading the situation and execution. If they want to have some unpredictability to attacks, maybe have differing damage levels, (i.e. hit, good hit) and then up the ante against a weak spot (good hit, crit hit). But having completely unreliable damage output with unavoidable ai attacks is just difficulty for difficulty's sake.

Roads and Boats has a lot of stuff in the box.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No, that's definitely a markup.

I'm glad FCM is doing well for them and I hope they invest some of that in reprinting some of their other games like Antiquity. Some of their games have like 100 copies per run so to see FCM in the thousand(s?) must be exciting for them.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

al-azad posted:

Namco released a mobile runner called Slashy Souls which, according to them, had nothing to do with Souls despite totally containing enemies and characters from the game. Just to let you know where this company is coming from and how they're treating the IP.

Not sure where you got the message that the game had nothing to do with the video games, when in the game, they explicitly had banners advertising to "Pre-order Dark Souls 3 at GameStop", which was arguably more the point of the app than the terrible little game they put together. Definitely very clearly associated though.

As for the board game, I've said enough about it already in the thread here, but all in all I think from first glance they did OKAY at transferring the IP to a different medium. Still have low expectations, but they are still making loving killer models that I can't wait to (pay a pro to) paint well for displaying.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Going back to an earlier comment I made about boardgaming-online (Through the Ages), I put up a new players only game (one star ranking).

Five turns in, I see one of the players is generating five culture per turn, with the most ore and even with everyone else in military.

I look at him, and sure enough, he is clearly engaging in a multicard strategy involving happiness cards and Michelangelo. The type of thing that you have to set up in advance and angle toward by knowing the cards.

And sure enough, when I look up his other games, the guy who is in my specifically for beginners game is also currently in 13 other games, including those rated three stars.

Why do people do this kind of poo poo?

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 20, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Because people are dicks and feel they have to win or something. I'd just concede and try again with the actual new people.

It's the same reason why people will play with multiple accounts in the same game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Merauder posted:

Not sure where you got the message that the game had nothing to do with the video games, when in the game, they explicitly had banners advertising to "Pre-order Dark Souls 3 at GameStop", which was arguably more the point of the app than the terrible little game they put together. Definitely very clearly associated though.

As for the board game, I've said enough about it already in the thread here, but all in all I think from first glance they did OKAY at transferring the IP to a different medium. Still have low expectations, but they are still making loving killer models that I can't wait to (pay a pro to) paint well for displaying.

I should elaborate: Namco's exact wording is that Slashy Souls is "inspired by the Dark Souls series" which is very strange wording from a company that, as far as I know, owns the IP. I can only guess that in their own weird way they want to cash in but don't want to harm the core brand. So here's this thing tangentially related to this super popular hotness and we hope you like it but understand it's not at all part of that hotness' canon.

Which is fuzzy logic because we're talking about a game with zero appeal to the uninitiated.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Zaphod42 posted:

People keep linking me this and it looks awful. The card layouts and icons are horribly ugly, and there's tons of wasted space not used that could be used by bigger icons or text explanations of the rules.

The worst thing though is everything about it screams "we haven't played Dark Souls but we heard it was popular with the kids!". There's a focus on the "classes" of dark souls (not really a big thing in the games, although in other RPGs it is so lots of people assume) and most all of the game is based on Dark Souls 3, even though it just says "dark souls".

Feels like a horrible cash-in. Also lol at those lovely blank face dice. Couldn't just use normal dice and require you to roll 3+ or whatever, nope, gotta make you use our lovely half-useless D6s. So unique!

This poo poo is going to make so much money https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game?ref=nav_search

quote:

$507,698
pledged of $70,832 goal

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Big McHuge posted:

It'd be interesting to find out if, psychologically, blank faces on dice are more depressing to roll. Like, at least if I roll a 1 or 2 I got something, it just wasn't enough. Perhaps the blank dice are actually more infuriating to play with and thus fit better with the Dark Souls theme, even if unintentionally.

I know with Small World's reinforcement die, if I roll a blank I can't think it was almost a 1, where on a normal d6 I could think my 3 was almost a 4. Not sure how it would affect my mood - in that game I rarely care too much about the die roll anyway.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
It's just staggering how willing people are to spend $100+ just to get plastic minis that cool. I'm surprised noone has gone the pop-vinyl route and just started vomiting out licensed pop culture minis for $10 each. People would lap that poo poo up.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The End posted:

It's just staggering how willing people are to spend $100+ just to get plastic minis that cool. I'm surprised noone has gone the pop-vinyl route and just started vomiting out licensed pop culture minis for $10 each. People would lap that poo poo up.

Licensing is more complicated and expensive than a lot of people realize. But otherwise I'd agree.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The End posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised Reaper didn't go that route but their original Bones line raked in like $9 million total on Kickstarter alone with none of the pesky licensing fees. Just a highly polished gagglefuck of minis, many of them being trademarked characters with the names filed off so your DnD group could get a cheap bulette burrowing horror or carrion crawler charnel grub.

If they did produce straight up Dark Souls miniatures I know that poo poo would rake in millions. Hell, I'd probably buy a few.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

EvilChameleon posted:

Thanks for the replies about Archipelago. I've got people who still want to play it so I'm going to be playing again and seeing how it goes.

Since putting in a pre-order for Food Chain Magnate, I've been looking at other Splotter games. Especially Roads and Boats because of the writeups here. Is that one supposed to be extra expensive? It's out of stock at all the Canadian retailers I know, but CSI has it listed for $180? Is that what it's supposed to be? That seems really high, even for Splotter.

Splotter's in-print price for Roads & Boats is 80 euros, plus another 30 for the expansion. That being said, the average state of a Splotter game is "out of print." $180 is asking a lot, but if something pops up that's, idunno, $120 or so? Maybe think on it.

And yes, the box and amount of pieces is absurd. Possibly the most piece-heavy game they've made.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I would honestly just wait for Cardhaus to get another copy. They had it at like $100 for a year and they seem to periodically get copies of just about everything. Granted their free shipping is $125 but that shouldn't be too hard to hit.

Speaking of deals, Jet.com has a $15 off your first order (code is 15off, ignore the 15% promo on their website, you can use 15off instead). A lot of their prices are Amazon competitive and you get free shipping @ $35 (pre-discount). For instance you could get Twilight Struggle for like $30, Space Alert for $23, Concordia for $30, Terra Mystica for $40, T'Zolkin for $23, Dominion base plus an expansion for $45, Galaxy Trucker for $25, Tikal for $21, Last Will for $25, Combat Commander for $45 -- stuff like that.

Their search is horrendous so search individually for items or browse by publisher. Here's a search that covers a bunch of publishers: https://jet.com/search?term=board%2...te=Brands~Z-Man

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 20, 2016

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

I just finished an almost four hour game of Alien Frontiers. It was the five player expansion but the biggest problem was this one guy who has the worst AP I've ever encountered. He can take 15 to 20 minutes on a single turn (he took ten minutes deciding what to do on the turn that ended the game knowing full well that his turn would end the game.) And then it doesn't help when everyone else is giving him suggestions and advice also.

It was such a beat down.

The last hour-ish sucked all of the fun out of it and I just wanted to shoot myself in the head...

What I actually wanted to do was call it a night and go home, but when you're tied for last place it looks like you're leaving cause you're a sore loser and then you don't get invited back.

When I was leaving he was outside talking to another guy saying, "Alien Frontiers is a good game but it runs a little long for my tastes."

:suicide:

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Kruxy posted:

I just finished an almost four hour game of Alien Frontiers.

I have no idea how anyone puts up with that - that's like 4 times as long as that game should be. What happens when you try a legitimately medium/long sort of game? Does it scale up? Like, Mage Knight takes us 3 hours, would it take your AP guy 12?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Worst part of that game is you can't really do any planning while you wait for your turn either.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

The End posted:

You don't need licenses when plagiarism will suffice.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

jmzero posted:

I have no idea how anyone puts up with that - that's like 4 times as long as that game should be. What happens when you try a legitimately medium/long sort of game? Does it scale up? Like, Mage Knight takes us 3 hours, would it take your AP guy 12?

Ugh. I don't know. That would be terrible. On Thursdays, the big game night when there are enough people for three different tables, I've started to avoid sitting at a table with him. This was the first time he came to the Tuesday night MeetUp.

I mean, he even sucks the fun out of Codenames. How is that possible?

The End posted:

Worst part of that game is you can't really do any planning while you wait for your turn either.

And on top of that, even if you are able to plan some stuff out that might still be possible to achieve, all it takes is a lovely roll and none of your plans mean anything.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kruxy posted:

When I was leaving he was outside talking to another guy saying, "Alien Frontiers is a good game but it runs a little long for my tastes."

:suicide:

This is exactly what two friends of mine with severe AP say every time I break out a new game. It's loving infuriating when a 1 hour game becomes a 3 hour game and they complain that it's too long.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

There's a combat preview there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM3OCAQMP8

It's a shame, the combat seems interesting overall. I like the movement mechanics, the shared stamina/health pool, the whole learn the boss' deck/pattern and the push your luck aspect of exerting yourself to attack multiple times. Then it all gets tainted by the resolution mechanic being D3-1 dice rolls.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Big McHuge posted:

It'd be interesting to find out if, psychologically, blank faces on dice are more depressing to roll. Like, at least if I roll a 1 or 2 I got something, it just wasn't enough. Perhaps the blank dice are actually more infuriating to play with and thus fit better with the Dark Souls theme, even if unintentionally.

I recently played Champions of Midgard a few times, which has blank-faced dice - I didn't mind because you can roll lots of dice so one failure doesn't matter, there are easily-acquired re-rolls, and the monsters have relatively low health, so you really have to gently caress up not to kill it. When the monsters hit back, I also enjoyed killing the dice that didn't roll anything because they were useless. The designers could put a damage (or shield) icon on every face but then they'd just increase the monsters' hit points, so eh.

I don't think rolling a 2 when you need 3+ is any better because you got nothing anyway and it's frustrating to fail by one. "If only it were one more" is more common than "if only it had rolled over one more time!"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ojetor posted:

It's a shame, the combat seems interesting overall. I like the movement mechanics, the shared stamina/health pool, the whole learn the boss' deck/pattern and the push your luck aspect of exerting yourself to attack multiple times. Then it all gets tainted by the resolution mechanic being D3-1 dice rolls.
Well it's not exactly D3-1 (or D4-1 if you are using red dice). I'm not 100% on the probabilities but I think the red dice (the one that has a 3 on it) has only one 3 face.

I don't think the Dark Souls board game is going to be as bad as some other Miniature games in terms of rules, but in the end it is still a miniatures game, with all its associated baggage. I did try out the demo of the other game those guys make (Guild Ball), and it was actually a lot of fun and managed to replicate some of good feels from Blood Bowl without any of the associated baggage: it doesn't have turn limits (IIRC) and thus you can't just score once and turtle, ball pick up is automatic, the differences between the factions seem meaningful but well balanced (I played Butchers vs Fishermen, the former being the big bruisy orcs/chaos equivalent, and the Fishermen basically being elves). Also the combat system, even though it relies on dice, has some interesting aspects to it as well: butchers are more likely to do damage in their attacks, fishermen are more likely to push their opponents, strip balls or be able to dodge away.

I kind of liked it, honestly. For a miniatures game, Guild Ball was pretty good.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Ojetor posted:

This combat looks really interesting and feels very Dark Souls-like, but the over-reliance on dice is really the killer. It just screams 'We can't be bothered to balance this so we won't! Harder difficulty = you need higher dice rolls!'

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The stamina = less health mechanism adds a bit of a press your luck element to the fighting, but combining it with absolute random chance is too inconsistent. Maybe a guaranteed damage with some dice driven press your luck for additional damage might have been better

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

bobvonunheil posted:

This combat looks really interesting and feels very Dark Souls-like, but the over-reliance on dice is really the killer. It just screams 'We can't be bothered to balance this so we won't! Harder difficulty = you need higher dice rolls!'

After seeing that video It seems to me Dark Souls the Boardgame is basically a combination of "memory" the card game and Zombie Dice.

Not exactly impressive.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Rutibex posted:

After seeing that video It seems to me Dark Souls the Boardgame is basically a combination of "memory" the card game and Zombie Dice.

Not exactly impressive.

it is thematic though

EBag
May 18, 2006

Anyone who has played Elysium here? It looks beautiful and seems pretty interesting but I don't see it talked about much.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

EBag posted:

Anyone who has played Elysium here? It looks beautiful and seems pretty interesting but I don't see it talked about much.

I played it once. It was pretty good.

...yeah, that's all I can really say about it. Wasn't overly memorable, apparently, but certainly wasn't bad.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/HeavyCardboard/status/722781029321150465

lol if that's true

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

That's some nasty karma, wonder what caused it this time.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

EvilChameleon posted:

I know that BoardGameBliss up in the frozen wastes of the GTA has a bunch of splotter stuff on pre-order right now for reprints in October, but FCM appears to be coming back in April/May so if you're looking for a copy, this should be a good option.(http://www.boardgamebliss.com/products/food-chain-magnate?variant=6245682113)

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 20, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Merauder posted:

I played it once. It was pretty good.

...yeah, that's all I can really say about it. Wasn't overly memorable, apparently, but certainly wasn't bad.

Yeah, I thought it was...OK. The selection mechanism is kind of neat and tense.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

EBag posted:

I like it better as a drafting game than 7 Wonders, even if it is an open draft. Because it's an open draft? Good variety of cards/setups for variability, pretty art, tense restriction mechanism. I guess the main problem is that you're pretty much doing the same thing all 5 rounds and your tableau never really builds up to make you feel like you're building up to some awesome combo, so it feels a bit samey/repetitive. But it's a fine game. A solid 7. I think I got it for < $30 and don't regret the purchase at all.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Thanks for the thoughts. I was going between it and Lewis & Clark for a tableu builder/hand management game. I love RftG because of the build up if powers and thought the scoring mechanism for Elysium would add an interesting twist to that and it seems like it would play fast compared to L&C with more variability.

I really want Vinhos Deluxe :ohdear: I remember when the Kickstarter was going on I asked the owner of Board Game Bliss about his expected retail price as the shipping/price for Canadians was terrible. He said he would be getting it in and eventually put up a preorder at around $115 CAD, whereas the kickstarer would have been $135+ assuming multiple copies for cheaper shipping. I had a post on BGG trying to see if anyone wanted to do a group bundle and posted about the BGB preorder price there, then within a day the preorder was taken down and the owner said he now doesn't know how many copies he will receive or what the price will be so EGG was definitely pulling some shenanigans.

EBag fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 20, 2016

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, what's this about Eagle-Gryphon games?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

The General posted:

Because people are dicks and feel they have to win or something. I'd just concede and try again with the actual new people.

It's the same reason why people will play with multiple accounts in the same game.

Yeah, I just resigned the game. This fucker just played another turn, now has 10 culture per turn (when everyone else has 1 or 2), the same military strength as everyone else (with a military wonder on the way for which he has perfectly arranged his existing military to be synergistic), more ore, and more food than everyone else.

There should be a way to just bar these fuckers from getting into your games (without having to set up a passworded game). What a waste of time.

And before anyone says it, no, I don't want to "learn the game" by getting clobbered by a far superior opponent. I want a fun game, with people around my experience and commitment level. Not everyone is going to be exactly the same in terms of skill and ability, and I'm fine with that, but when you can literally tell from his card selection that the guy has played a ton of games and has a strategy based on synergistic cards from knowing the cards cold, he shouldn't be in a loving one star game.

I've made a new game, that is literally titled something like "Stupid fuckers, stay out if you have experience/are a veteran player." (Except I phrased it a little more nicely.)

Again, I have no idea how these people live with themselves. Doing poo poo like this is like being proud of winning at the Special Olympics because you faked having a handicap to get in.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 20, 2016

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I've been going to a new Tuesday night meetup for a few weeks now and it's a good mix of people. Some experienced, some new, but all pretty chill.

Last night we played Castles of Mad King Ludwig (my second time ever). I feel like it's a perfectly enjoyable game that I can't get very excited about playing. The more I play point salad games, the less I like the concept.

The guy who runs the meetup has a good collection of light-medium weight games. I'm curious about both Spyrium and Champions of Midgard, because I know almost nothing about them. Are they any good?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Ahh yes, who is the first person to join my newly posted game? "Yan Zen," who is currently playing 10 other games (some dating back to February), including a couple of three star games.

Good old Yan Zen has roughly 100 completed games of the new version of the game.

You can't even label something, "People with experience stay the gently caress out," and have these people get it.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

CaptainRightful posted:

I've been going to a new Tuesday night meetup for a few weeks now and it's a good mix of people. Some experienced, some new, but all pretty chill.

Last night we played Castles of Mad King Ludwig (my second time ever). I feel like it's a perfectly enjoyable game that I can't get very excited about playing. The more I play point salad games, the less I like the concept.

The guy who runs the meetup has a good collection of light-medium weight games. I'm curious about both Spyrium and Champions of Midgard, because I know almost nothing about them. Are they any good?

I really love Ludwig but I can see the point salad stuff not being everyone's favourite. It's a lot of fun seeing the castle come together in front of you and the master builder getting to realign the tile-market in such a way that benefits him the most is a great mechanic that produces some interesting choices.